WizOs Apple Ipad playback

Moderators: Gully, peteru

glenncol
Apprentice

WizOs Apple Ipad playback

Post by glenncol » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20

Hi all

I am experiencing a little problem that I am hoping someone can shed some light on. The wife an Apple Ipad Air 2 and we have watched many hours on TV via the WizOs app fully expanded on the screen with no issues, looks great actually.

I recently picked up an Ipad Air 2 myself which was new (given to someone as a gift and sat in the cupboard unopened) , I installed the Wizos app and tried a couple of channels, all seem to be clear until expanding to full-screen at that point the pick seems a little grainy, not the same as what the misses is getting.

Any ideas? Tips? Tricks?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: WizOs Apple Ipad playback

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:35

glenncol wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20
I recently picked up an Ipad Air 2 myself which was new (given to someone as a gift and sat in the cupboard unopened) , I installed the Wizos app and tried a couple of channels, all seem to be clear until expanding to full-screen at that point the pick seems a little grainy, not the same as what the misses is getting.

Any ideas? Tips? Tricks?
Is this is on your T4?
The T4 (as well as the U4 and V2 )has a transcoding feature that allows it to re-compress video for sending to devices on slow network links. I am guessing that when you are streaming to your tablet, you are selecting the transcoded stream instead of the original video stream. The transcoded stream will look noticeably worse than the original due to the extra compression.

One other thing to note is that if WizOS is working for you, it probably means that your T4 is also running an out-of-date version of firmware. The latest firmware has broken compatibility with WizOS on iOS devices entirely. If you do choose to update your T4 (which I do recommend), then you will need to switch to the "Gigablue" app on your iOS devices.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

glenncol
Apprentice

Post by glenncol » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:35
glenncol wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20

Any ideas? Tips? Tricks?
Is this is on your T4?
The T4 (as well as the U4 and V2 )has a transcoding feature that allows it to re-compress video for sending to devices on slow network links. I am guessing that when you are streaming to your tablet, you are selecting the transcoded stream instead of the original video stream. The transcoded stream will look noticeably worse than the original due to the extra compression.

One other thing to note is that if WizOS is working for you, it probably means that your T4 is also running an out-of-date version of firmware. The latest firmware has broken compatibility with WizOS on iOS devices entirely. If you do choose to update your T4 (which I do recommend), then you will need to switch to the "Gigablue" app on your iOS devices.
Hi MrQuade

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes this was on my T4, sorry should have mentioned that

I was streaming live TV on both units, both Ipad being identical models where the misses unit expanded to full screen is better quality than mine for some reason. Where is the transcoding feature turned on or off?

I will look at updating the T4 shortly

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17

glenncol wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41
I was streaming live TV on both units, both Ipad being identical models where the misses unit expanded to full screen is better quality than mine for some reason. Where is the transcoding feature turned on or off?
That's the odd thing then. To play the transcoded live TV stream (at least on the Android version), you need to long-press the service and select "play transcoded". There is no way that I see to make transcoding the default.

It's possible that the iOS version is different and there is an option to se tthe default stream type. You may want to at least try long-pressing a live service, and explicitly selecting the non-transcoding play option to check.

Also, I just wanted to check that when you were comparing the two iPads, that you were both streaming from the same service at the same time? Some services can be very noticably worse quality than others, and can change dynamically over the course of the day. (I find that 7Mate can often look like a bad VHS tape, and even some of the HD channels can often produce pretty bad pictures at times). I am just wondering if you were just maybe sampling a live TV stream that was just particularly grainy as-sent from the broadcaster.
glenncol wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41
I will look at updating the T4 shortly
I am guessing that you are running a firmware from the 16.1 series.
You'll want to install the latest public release 17.5 firmware from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13155

The somewhat up to date list of changes between 16.1 and 17.5 can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12456

Here is the downside though. This is a major update that breaks compatibility with your settings from older firmware versions.
As a result, upgrading from 16.1 to 17.5, you will need to set up the T4 from scratch again.
All your recordings will remain on the harddisk and won't be deleted, but all your future timers will be lost. If you use IceTV, then you can just re-send the timers to the updgraded T4, but if don't then you need to re-enter them (there is a manual way to back up timers and restore just those if you have squillions that you don't want to re-program).
Also, there is that problem with WizOS breaking. You will need to install Gigablue on your iPads instead.

The 17.5 firmware is in the process of being superseded again by the 19.3 series firmware. I don't expect that 19.3 will be out of beta status for a couple of months yet, and the settings are safe to carry over from 17.5 to 19.3, so you only need to go through this manual reconfiguration pain once (hopefully) when it comes time to upgrade again.

glenncol
Apprentice

Post by glenncol » Thu Jul 18, 2019 13:51

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17
That's the odd thing then. To play the transcoded live TV stream (at least on the Android version), you need to long-press the service and select "play transcoded". There is no way that I see to make transcoding the default.

It's possible that the iOS version is different and there is an option to se tthe default stream type. You may want to at least try long-pressing a live service, and explicitly selecting the non-transcoding play option to check.

Also, I just wanted to check that when you were comparing the two iPads, that you were both streaming from the same service at the same time? Some services can be very noticably worse quality than others, and can change dynamically over the course of the day. (I find that 7Mate can often look like a bad VHS tape, and even some of the HD channels can often produce pretty bad pictures at times). I am just wondering if you were just maybe sampling a live TV stream that was just particularly grainy as-sent from the broadcaster.
Yeah I was streaming the same service but directly after each other, Same service same show within 2 minutes of each other

Update: Cheers MyQuade, doing the long-press did bring up options for just playing or going through transcode, I selected play and it was fine, the misses Ipad never had that option so it must default to non-transcode where mine did not

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17
I am guessing that you are running a firmware from the 16.1 series.
You'll want to install the latest public release 17.5 firmware from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13155

The somewhat up to date list of changes between 16.1 and 17.5 can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12456

Here is the downside though. This is a major update that breaks compatibility with your settings from older firmware versions.
As a result, upgrading from 16.1 to 17.5, you will need to set up the T4 from scratch again.
All your recordings will remain on the harddisk and won't be deleted, but all your future timers will be lost. If you use IceTV, then you can just re-send the timers to the updgraded T4, but if don't then you need to re-enter them (there is a manual way to back up timers and restore just those if you have squillions that you don't want to re-program).
Also, there is that problem with WizOS breaking. You will need to install Gigablue on your iPads instead.

The 17.5 firmware is in the process of being superseded again by the 19.3 series firmware. I don't expect that 19.3 will be out of beta status for a couple of months yet, and the settings are safe to carry over from 17.5 to 19.3, so you only need to go through this manual reconfiguration pain once (hopefully) when it comes time to upgrade again.
I may wait for the new version to come out before updating

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jul 18, 2019 15:04

glenncol wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 13:51
Update: Cheers MyQuade, doing the long-press did bring up options for just playing or going through transcode, I selected play and it was fine, the misses Ipad never had that option so it must default to non-transcode where mine did not

There is an option within the wizOS app to enable/disable transcoding for each device under Settings / box / Enable transcoder.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 18, 2019 15:44

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 15:04

There is an option within the wizOS app to enable/disable transcoding for each device under Settings / box / Enable transcoder.
How did that option work on iOS? On Android, it is just a toggle to determine if the transcoder option is available in the UI, but doesn't set it as the default streaming method.

glenncol
Apprentice

Post by glenncol » Thu Jul 18, 2019 16:08

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 15:44
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 15:04

How did that option work on iOS? On Android, it is just a toggle to determine if the transcoder option is available in the UI, but doesn't set it as the default streaming method.
Hi, when you run the app and you have the channels down the left side of the viewing area, long-press the stream (channel) you want to watch and you have the option of Play, Play with Transcoder, Record Current Event or Zap

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 18, 2019 17:42

glenncol wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 16:08
Hi, when you run the app and you have the channels down the left side of the viewing area, long-press the stream (channel) you want to watch and you have the option of Play, Play with Transcoder, Record Current Event or Zap
Sorry, I wasn't specific. I meant to ask GG what effect the transcoder setting had on iOS. I ask because on Android, that setting doesn't force you to use the transcoder unless you explicitly request it.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jul 18, 2019 18:19

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 17:42
glenncol wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 16:08
Sorry, I wasn't specific. I meant to ask GG what effect the transcoder setting had on iOS. I ask because on Android, that setting doesn't force you to use the transcoder unless you explicitly request it.

No diarrhea there mate, but I was thinking since iPad#2 appeared to have streamed transcoded that perhaps this was the PVR default, and that wouldn't get requested if the app didn't allow it.
glenncol stated the non-transcoded stream seemed to match that of iPad#1.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 18, 2019 20:04

I think I may have discovered something here.

If the Wiz is first defined in the WizOS app as being transcoder capable, then it defaults to transcoded streams. If you set it up and done select transcoding capability, then it defaults to normal streams, even when you go back and rock the transcoding option.

Also, I note that I get an error when trying to play a transcoded stream from my U4.
I am wondering if the reports of WizOS not working with 17.5 is because it is defaulting to the transcoded stream which has stopped working (for some reason).

Return to “Beyonwiz WizOS Apple / Android Apps”