Is My External HDD Dead

Discuss anything in here as long as it doesn't offend.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Sandy B
Master

Is My External HDD Dead

Post by Sandy B » Mon Mar 29, 2021 01:08

I have a Seagate Backup Plus 6TB external HDD attached to my T4 via a rear USB. A few days ago I noticed that it would not spin down and consequently unplugged the power for a few hours and after powering up rebooted the T4. It appeared to spin down after playing about 5 minutes of recordings, and thought great all is back to normal as the indicator light went off. However tonight I discovered that it completely dead. I checked the power supply and that appears to be OK and pulled it apart and attached a caddy cable to the HDD, however again no response and could not detect any vibration due to spinning. The HDD itself is a Seagate Barracuda (green label). I am assuming that its refusal to spin down has caused the problem.

My question is does anybody have any idea if this is completely terminal, and is it worth trying to repair or repairable. The HDD contains the usual video recordings of TV programs and movies accumulated over the years and it is a pity to lose them.

Hoping somebody has some bright idea.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: Is My External HDD Dead

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 13:09

Sorry, I can't help with a miracle cure. All I can do is empathise.

I had a 1.5 TB Seagate external drive which died but in my case the HDD survived. A short while later a second 2 TB Seagate died but this time it was the HDD. The end result is that the 1.5 TB drive is still working in the 2TB case, 3 years later.

YouTube videos suggest that the recovery services rely on swapping out the control electronics with a donor board as the path to data recovery but at a price. Unlikely to be viable in your case.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Mon Mar 29, 2021 13:30

Sorry, I can't help with a miracle cure. All I can do is empathise
I have also come to the same conclusion. I spoke to Mark Warkus earlier and he also advised the same, also that it would be very expensive to recover the data and would not be worth it for some videos. He also advised that he is no longer in the repair business so it's a double dose of dad luck.
I had a 1.5 TB Seagate external drive which died but in my case the HDD survived. A short while later a second 2 TB Seagate died but this time it was the HDD. The end result is that the 1.5 TB drive is still working in the 2TB case, 3 years later.
I went to Office Works and bought an identical unit as a replacement. I note that your HDD are also Seagate units, and I am starting to have second thoughts now about the quality of Seagate HDD. Are we just unlucky or is there a long term issue with Seagate HDDs.

Thanks for your interest.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 18:22

... I am starting to have second thoughts now about the quality of Seagate HDD. Are we just unlucky or is there a long term issue with Seagate HDDs.
I share your concern. All my externals and newer HDDs are Western Digital which seem to be more reliable.

Over the years I've had failures of other brands including WD but Seagate HDDs have given me trouble disproportionately. My 1.5 TB Seagate shakes terribly when running. It's the backup to a backup lest it too succumbs.

PS Sad to learn Warkus has hung up the hot air gun. May he have a long and happy time in the next phase of his life.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Mar 29, 2021 18:46

You'll want to look at some of the guys who run the big data farms and grab their stats.
Even then, the failure rates vary from period to period, and there never seems to be a clear "best" manufacturer......just different quality in different production runs.

Take this sample from Backblaze that came up in a quick and dirty Google search:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... s-q2-2019/
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Mar 30, 2021 09:56

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 18:46
...and there never seems to be a clear "best" manufacturer...

From what I've seen there usually is, but never WD or Seagate.

Just to add my 2c worth, even though the only spinner I have had crash was a 300 GB Seagate many years ago, I'm still wary of the brand. I have also had one 2 TB 3.5" WD decay progressively with weak sectors, but that was among a number of WD HDD over many years, and I'd still go for WD over Seagate if there was a clear choice. Unfortunately sometimes there isn't, and I recently resorted to Seagate for 2.5" 4 TB disks because there is currently no WD equivalent. I don't use them for anything I wouldn't be able to recover from backups.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55

raymondjpg wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 09:56
So Toshiba then? There are only 3 manufacturers of Harddisks left now.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Mar 30, 2021 15:26

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55
raymondjpg wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 09:56
So Toshiba then? There are only 3 manufacturers of Harddisks left now.

I'm probably thinking historically, over the years, when I've seen a number of tables where, to my recollection, I've not seen WD or Seagate stand out as the best of the bunch. Generally I've seen my choice, as a run of the mill consumer, as being between WD or Seagate, probably for reasons of cost and availability. As of now, I'd be tempted to go with 4 TB SSDs in the 2.5" format, if they were about half the price they are currently.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Tue Apr 06, 2021 08:25

Each manufacturer releases a dud every now and then, which in the mind of many then tarnishes the entire brand for a period of time.

gibster
Master

Post by gibster » Tue Apr 06, 2021 17:19

I've used HGST Helium filled NAS drives for many years now and have never had an issue with them. I realize they are currently owned by WD. So I've now got a couple of WD Red 12TB NAS drives that are in raid 1 mounted in a Silverstone TS231U-C external enclosure on which my movie/tv series collection resides.

I'm currently running a 3TB HGST in an external Orico USB 3.0 enclosure on my V2. I had initially hooked up an old Seagate external drive to it that kept giving me issues with the V2 locking up and rebooting. Once it was replaced with the HGST in it's new enclosure all the issues stopped. Now runs like a champ unless we have a power failure and I forget to turn the external drive back on LOL

Gib

BeyonWiz V2
Sony KD-55A9F OLED
Sony KD-65X9000E
Apple TV 4K x 2
Sony UBP X800 4k/UHD BluRay Player (Moded for all regions)
X-Box One X
Harmony Ultimate Remote
QNAP TS-451+ NAS
BeyonWiz V2
Sony KD-55A9F OLED
Sony KD-65X9000E
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV 4K Gen 2
Sony UBP X800 4k/UHD BluRay Player (Moded for all regions)
X-Box One X
Harmony Ultimate Remote
QNAP TS-451+ NAS

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”