Denon amp questions

Discuss anything in here as long as it doesn't offend.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Denon amp questions

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:46

I am about to update my AV Receiver to something modern and am quite attracted to the Denon x2400H.

We don't really need the wizbang ultramodern ATMOS system capability but it's good to have it in case. Our speakers are a 5.1 setup and will do for now but SWMBO has other ideas. The TV will follow.

I'm keen to avoid incompatibility issues and it seems to me that Denon users have no issues with the U4. Yamaha is not on my shopping list because I have owned two Yamaha's that failed. After the last failure, I bought a cheap Sherwood unit that gets by but has little to recommend it.

What is really driving me is:
  1. We have six HDMI video sources I need to switch between, which are currently split between a four-port switch and the TV HDMI inputs. The 2400H has 8 inputs and 2 outputs.
  2. Lipsync is an issue with Foxtel for us a fair bit of the time. Errors are commonly greater than the 200ms that the Foxtel IQ2 can correct. The Denon can handle up to 500 ms manual delay according to the manual I downloaded.
I'm curious - does anyone know whether the two monitor out ports are both active at the same time for the selected input. If they are, I may route monitor 1 to the TV and monitor 2 to the splitter and hence, on to the U4 HDMI-IN. I prefer this to the alternative of intercepting the output to the TV since I'm not sure that a splitter would handle HDCP 2.2.

Do users have any comments on their experience they care to share or indeed, other options I should consider? Cost is not a major factor so anything under $1500 will be considered.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Denon amp questions

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jul 18, 2018 15:18

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:46
I'm curious - does anyone know whether the two monitor out ports are both active at the same time for the selected input. If they are, I may route monitor 1 to the TV and monitor 2 to the splitter and hence, on to the U4 HDMI-IN. I prefer this to the alternative of intercepting the output to the TV since I'm not sure that a splitter would handle HDCP 2.2.
Yes that setup would work, and also yes that the splitter would almost definitely mangle a HDCP2.2 connection and limit your ability to display HDR content from other sources.

There is no way for the Denon to matrix the second HDMI-OUT to a different source, so it is actually always slaved, which is what you are after. I can't remember what the exact limitations on it are though in terms of 4K. However, since you will be recording from 1080p sources to the U4, that sort of limitation shouldn't matter.

The AVS forum is a good source of information. Have a read through the first dozen or so posts in this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-recei ... 1-8-a.html

The other hundred or so pages are up to you ;).
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:46
Do users have any comments on their experience they care to share or indeed, other options I should consider? Cost is not a major factor so anything under $1500 will be considered.
I went for the X3400 for the X2400 for:
Slightly higher power
Extra Zone capabilities + HDMI OUT
Having the option of pre-outs if at some point I wanted to go for discrete amps
MultiEQXT32 Audio processing
Ability to display GUI elements (volume etc) over the screen at 4K

All the differences between models are laid out on the AVS thread nicely.

I have sort of limited myself to not being able to do an ATMOS setup in that I am already using all 7.1 channels for my main zone and zone 2. There is no option to re-purpose any of the pre-outs as extra zones or ATMOS channels unfortunately, they are pretty much fixed-function. To go with a second zone and ATMOS would have meant stepping up to the more expensive X4400.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: Denon amp questions

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 00:06

Thanks MrQuade.

I think it is settled. The layout of our house is such that we are unlikely to ever need two zone capability. More likely, we'll use the Sherwood in the other space if the need arises. And, after reading the avsforum pages 'til I fell asleep, I have not been convinced that MultiEQXT32 Audio processing will improve tinnitus to the point we'll hear the difference! :wink: :wink:

The last factor is that options to buy a 3400H are not great. Seems I'd have to pay full retail, a sin against my religion.

Best Regards,
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”