Looking for an AV receiver

Discuss anything in here as long as it doesn't offend.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

peteru
Uber Wizard

Looking for an AV receiver

Post by peteru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 00:14

My gear is too old to be able to test/develop many of the newer features that users are requesting, such as AC3+/DDP/EAC3.

I'm looking for an AVR that will be a step up from my 10+ year old Denon AVR-2807. Recommendations?

Budget is tight. Anyone willing to part with surplus equipment?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Looking for an AV receiver

Post by MrQuade » Fri Feb 02, 2018 01:16

Just remember that if you want anything supporting 4k HDR, then it will need to be a post 2015 model to support HDCP 2.2.

I can recommend the Denon X3400H that I picked up recently, though it was arounf $1400 off Ebay when I got it, so not in a super budget category.

The lower end models in the 2017 Xn400 series can't properly process 4K60Hz material, so you may also want to be cautious of them.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 01:57

I have been eyeing off a Denon AVR-X3400H - best price I can find is about $1600. Kind of above my budget and it lacks the ability to take S-VHS input. At least it will transcode composite and component to HDMI.

Maybe I keep the AVR-2807 for legacy analogue inputs (it will transcode to HDMI) and go for a cheaper AVR that still does Ethernet/HDR/Atmos/Dolby Vision. Both AVR-X1400H ($980) and AVR-X2400H ($1200) look like they would do, but they are not exactly cheap either. The extra $220 to go from AVR-X1400H to AVR-X2400H basically buys me HDMI upscaling with OSD GUI and two extra HDMI inputs.

Maybe second hand is the way to go. I'm sure there are quite a few serial upgraders on these forums, just looking for a reason to offload last year's model! :wink:

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 02:01

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 01:16
The lower end models in the 2017 Xn400 series can't properly process 4K60Hz material, so you may also want to be cautious of them.
Yeah, looking at the specs, it appears that the AVR-X1400H doesn't do any HDMI processing, so it's kind of a non-issue, it's just passhtrough. However the AVR-X2400H appears to be limited "up to 4K 30/25/24" - I wonder what happens with 2160p60 content then? Won't work at all, or switch to passhtrough?

Hmm, Denon specs seem to contradict their online manuals: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2400H/NA/E ... vbhwwe.php

Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Feb 02, 2018 02:14

peteru wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 02:01
Yeah, looking at the specs, it appears that the AVR-X1400H doesn't do any HDMI processing, so it's kind of a non-issue, it's just passhtrough. However the AVR-X2400H appears to be limited "up to 4K 30/25/24" - I wonder what happens with 2160p60 content then? Won't work at all, or switch to passhtrough?
From what I understand it just passes through anything above 30Hz, so you lose the ability to show the screen overlays and apply any video processing.

My only *very* slight gripe is that the X3400 is limited to the 7.2 channels, and can't even extend to 9.2 using pre-outs. This is only a big deal if you want to go for a 7.1.2 system with Atmos, or a 5.1.4, which will probably not be a big deal for 99% of people. I run 5.1 with a second zone, so I can't try out any proper Atmos in my current arrangement.

The price starts getting a bit offensive in the X4400 and X6400 range.

They have also hinted that eARC capability may be coming in a firmware update, but this is looking like vapourware. I don't think any current TVs support it yet either, so that's also not a huge hassle. eARC is one of the few HDMI 2.1 features that looks like it can be achieved without requiring new hardware.

I'm on a three year upgrade cycle before the technology gets too out of date, so I may not be of any use for second hand units :).

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 07:44

peteru wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 00:14
My gear is too old to be able to test/develop many of the newer features that users are requesting, such as AC3+/DDP/EAC3.
I'm looking for an AVR that will be a step up from my 10+ year old Denon AVR-2807. Recommendations?
Budget is tight. Anyone willing to part with surplus equipment?
The only problem we all have with technology, is that the moment we upgrade whatever we get is out of date !!

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23

MrQuade wrote:
Just remember that if you want anything supporting 4k HDR, then it will need to be a post 2015 model to support HDCP 2.2.

Not being critical, but just how much 4k HDR material do you really want to play/watch? It is a couple of years now that people have said they are "over" 1080p, but I still find it perfectly acceptable on a 50 inch flat screen TV whether it be AVC or HEVC encoded. Even XviD still looks good.
peteru wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 01:57
I have been eyeing off a Denon AVR-X3400H - best price I can find is about $1600. Kind of above my budget and it lacks the ability to take S-VHS input. At least it will transcode composite and component to HDMI.

Good luck with the S-VHS input, and how much transcoding of composite and component to HDMI do you really want to do?

A run of the mill Yamaha at about $600 will do a basic job of decoding AC3+/DDP/EAC3 to 5.1.
MrQuade wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 02:14
My only *very* slight gripe is that the X3400 is limited to the 7.2 channels, and can't even extend to 9.2 using pre-outs. This is only a big deal if you want to go for a 7.1.2 system with Atmos, or a 5.1.4, which will probably not be a big deal for 99% of people. I run 5.1 with a second zone, so I can't try out any proper Atmos in my current arrangement.

Again, how much material has more than 5.1 channel sound, and what significant benefits come from more channels? Rather like Queen Victoria being told she could now speak directly to India on the telephone, but questioning whether there was really anything worth talking about.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:56

raymondjpg wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23
MrQuade wrote:

Not being critical, but just how much 4k HDR material do you really want to play/watch? It is a couple of years now that people have said they are "over" 1080p, but I still find it perfectly acceptable on a 50 inch flat screen TV whether it be AVC or HEVC encoded. Even XviD still looks good.

It's not only his own use that peteru wants to upgrade for:
peteru wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 00:14
My gear is too old to be able to test/develop many of the newer features that users are requesting...
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06

raymondjpg wrote:
Rather a lot actually. I have quite a large library of DVD, Bluray, and now my preferred format is 4K UHD. My 4K collection is rapidly expanding. I very specifically upgraded my receiver to support this.
My game consoles also support 4K HDR modes, so that is another application aside from passive media.
raymondjpg wrote:
Good luck with the S-VHS input, and how much transcoding of composite and component to HDMI do you really want to do?
Any time you want to watch VHS, or play legacy console games on a modern HDMI TV without having a forrest of cables? Much neater to converge everything on the receiver and connect to the TV with a single HDMI cable. Especially if said TV is wall mounted, and you want things neat. Also beneficial when there i a projector in the mix.
I myself have semi-retired my analog-only components to the secondary TV, so my main entertainment area is now 100% digital, so the loss of S-Video is not a big deal personally. There are plenty of cheap converters around that can fix this in a pinch though.
raymondjpg wrote:
Again, how much material has more than 5.1 channel sound, and what significant benefits come from more channels? Rather like Queen Victoria being told she could now speak directly to India on the telephone, but questioning whether there was really anything worth talking about.
All of my Bluray collection is 7.1, and the 4K titles often also have Atmos.
Even some of my DVDs are encoded with 5.1EX for matrixed rear channels.
And again, more speakers are utilised in gaming as well.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:49

All of that makes sense, and if that is your thing to focus on 4k UHD, VHS legacy games and multiple channel sound then good luck to you. My suggestion really is that the cost/benefit ratio to process all of that through one piece of equipment is excessively high for most punters, and if the need is basically to decode AC3+/DDP/EAC3 then there are cheaper options. By all means invest in whatever pleases you, and this is coming from someone who runs a 6950X just for the heck of it.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55

raymondjpg wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:49
and if the need is basically to decode AC3+/DDP/EAC3 then there are cheaper options.
Seeing as this is mostly a thread about PeterU having a test rig for modern video/audio technologies, and considering that Beyonwiz now have a 4K HDR capable PVR available, it is best that PeterU has a piece of equipment that is going to be fully capable of testing all aspects of that device and be reasonably future proof.

I'd also like to see some U4 support for the lossless HD audio formats too (aside from DD+ that ou mentioned) for example.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42

The reason for upgrade is to be able to test and develop the new formats, so if any money is going to be spent on an AVR, it absolutely has to support them. The more the merrier. If someone wants to give away an AVR that only adds AC3+ capability, I'll gratefully accept. :D

Blog.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 13:35

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55
Seeing as this is mostly a thread about PeterU having a test rig for modern video/audio technologies, and considering that Beyonwiz now have a 4K HDR capable PVR available, it is best that PeterU has a piece of equipment that is going to be fully capable of testing all aspects of that device and be reasonably future proof.

All that is needed is for the testing services to be priced according to whatever equipment is necessary to provide for such services, and sufficient to keep the tester out of the bankruptcy courts and preferably with something left over to scratch the backside with. Oh, and that cost to be passed on to those folk who seemingly require or demand such services.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 15:52

raymondjpg wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 13:35
All that is needed is for the testing services to be priced according to whatever equipment is necessary to provide for such services, and sufficient to keep the tester out of the bankruptcy courts and preferably with something left over to scratch the backside with. Oh, and that cost to be passed on to those folk who seemingly require or demand such services.

:?: I don't understand what you are trying to convey here. :?:

If you are suggesting that people who want high end features to work properly should buy the appropriate equipment for me so that I can work on it, then I'm not opposed to the idea. However, I'm not sure if there is much chance of such generosity. :|

Blog.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 18:51

peteru wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 15:52
:?: I don't understand what you are trying to convey here. :?:

If you had followed the threads on the T2 USB tuner picture breakup then you would be aware of my position on this. It has not changed.

I was responding to MrQuade's argument that you needed a piece of equipment that is going to be fully capable of testing all aspects of Beyonwiz's 4K HDR capable PVR. In my opinion, if Beyonwiz are marketing a piece of hardware with 4K HDR capability then it is Beyonwiz, not the users' or come to that any volunteers', responsibility, to ensure that the piece of hardware delivers on that capability.

peteru wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 15:52
If you are suggesting that people who want high end features to work properly should buy the appropriate equipment for me so that I can work on it, then I'm not opposed to the idea. However, I'm not sure if there is much chance of such generosity. :|

If by "people" you mean Beyonwiz, then yes. Also, any other party that would wish to see development of "high end features" over and above what Beyonwiz is delivering.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Feb 02, 2018 19:54

Right. I was (mistakenly) assuming that you might have been suggesting crowdsourcing/crowdfunding.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Feb 02, 2018 20:40

It sounded a bit like that to me, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV