Is a Wiz still the way to go

Discuss anything in here as long as it doesn't offend.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

robbo
Master

Is a Wiz still the way to go

Post by robbo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 21:23

I have a Wiz DPP1 and a Humax PVR running with an IceTV subscription. The Wiz is much older but way better than the Humax, but I am wondering if now is the right time to replace it or if I should I wait. My considerations so far are as follows but I am seeking comments from more up to date users:

1. It seems to me that IceTV is expensive ($7.99) and would be unnecessary if I had a T series Wiz which can do keyword searches. I hear it is a bit hard to use but workable.

2. The money I save on IceTv could go towards a Netflix subscription ($9.99) which seems to offer good value, especially now that you can download movies to watch later. I don't know how good the selection on Netflix is, but it has to be a reasonable augmentation to free to air, especially if it only costs me another $2 per month (assuming I can drop IceTv). Unfortunately Wiz units don't like NetFlix so I would need to have a Wiz and a spare PC (not space efficient) to handle the recordings.

3. It seems the Fetch Mighty Gen 3 can handle all the PVR functions that Wiz does (I think), it's about the same price as the T2 I was looking at, and it can also give access to Netflix but only does so via a Fetch TV subscription (I think) which means I would need a Fetch subscription ($10) as well as a Netflix subscription ($9.99). And I'm not sure if the Fetch Mighty can record Netflix movies. I so wish a T2 could be loaded with Netflix

Are my conclusions correct/reasonable?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Is a Wiz still the way to go

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 21, 2017 21:43

The Autotimers (keyword/rule based timers) are quite powerful and flexible. The only thing that you really miss out on is the ability to discriminate repeats, and that you would need to take extra steps to be able to schedule new recordings when you are away from home.

Netflix can easily be handled by a Chromecast device. If you have a phone or tablet than you can use to control the casting process that is. A Chromecast is reasonably cheap and takes practically no room at all (hangs off a HDMI port).

I don't know anything about the Fetch or its subscription model.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 21:54

Thanks for the answers. I assume you're thinking of a T4 with Chromecast as it's the only one with a HDMI input. That would add about $300 to the cost and give me one extra tuner. Seems like a long payout for a device that still can't handle Netflix and dearer than Fetch Mighty. Is it really that good?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 21, 2017 22:29

You don't need to plug the Chromecast into the Wiz. It can plug straight into the TV's HDMI input. In that way it's not different to the PC solution you spoke of.

The only things that need to plug into a T4's HDMI-IN are devices that you wish to record from.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 22:55

Oh I see. You're suggesting I use the Chromecast to stream direct from my tablet/phone and the Wiz to record free to air. The problem is that my internet here struggles to run at 3.2mbps and often much slower, so streaming is not usually an enjoyable experience. That's why I thought Netflix would be viable for me now that it allows downloading. If I could download onto the Wiz without having to use another device, it would make the Wiz much more functional.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:13

I don't think Netflix downloading works on anything but mobile devices. Your standard set top boxes won't have that capability and I don't think that a downloaded Netflix program can be cast to the Chromecast anyway (not sure on that point).

I don't think that Netflix will be much of a viable option for you if your Internet speeds are unreliable.

Edit: It seems that mobile devices for Android, iOS and PCs with the Windows 10 app store can download Netflix.
Last edited by MrQuade on Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:16

I get the impression from Whingepool that you can't download Netflix stuff onto the Mighty.

The Mighty doesn't have skipping if you're used to that with the DP-P1.

Streaming might be limited to DLNA.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:37

True, I like the skipping functions.

In summary it seems to me that my options are:

T2 has 3 tuners; saves IceTV; requires PC to handle Netflix. Net cost $300 plus extra $2 per month plus inconvenience of a second PC

T4 has 4 tuners saves IceTV; requires a Chromecast and splitter (discovered from another source) to handle Nexflix. Net cost $600 plus $90 for accessories plus extra $2 per month

Fetch TV 4 tuners; saves IceTV; needs both Fetch TV and Netflix subscription and lose skip function. Net cost $400 plus $19 per month but get some extra value from Fetch TV subscription

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:41

Remember, that neither of those last two options is going to work with Netflix if you can't stream it in realtime due to the reasons outlined earlier.

If you want to download and watch Netflix, then the PC (running Windows 10) is the only option available to you.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:54

Are you sure?

Another user told me "The T4 has a HDMI input so what I do is connect a Chromecast dongle (approx $50) into the HDMI input via a HDMI Splitter ($34.95) and in the day time when everyone is out I record from Netflix onto my T4 so that at night when I want to watch it there is no need to stream". He also said that "Netflix will not grant Beyonwiz a licence to include there app on the BeyonWiz platform".

I can't help but wonder if Netflix or Beyonwiz will be able to negotiate a way around that. It would make the Wiz market leader and expand Netflix' market. Still, it seems that solution is still in my dreams

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 22, 2017 00:01

robbo wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:54
Another user told me "The T4 has a HDMI input so what I do is connect a Chromecast dongle (approx $50) into the HDMI input via a HDMI Splitter ($34.95) and in the day time when everyone is out I record from Netflix onto my T4 so that at night when I want to watch it there is no need to stream". He also said that "Netflix will not grant Beyonwiz a licence to include there app on the BeyonWiz platform".
If you have the capability to stream in realtime during the day, then it will work. But you indicated earlier that you couldn't reliably stream in realtime. If you stream using a Chromecast via the T4's HDMI-IN and the stream pauses while waiting to buffer more data, then the recording on the T4 will also have that pause baked into it.
robbo wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:54
I can't help but wonder if Netflix or Beyonwiz will be able to negotiate a way around that. It would make the Wiz market leader and expand Netflix' market. Still, it seems that solution is still in my dreams
Beyonwiz's market is so small it would barely be a blip on their radar unfortunately. That and the ability to stream Netflix would require a whole raft of DRM protection to be implemented, and that is technically extremely unlikely to happen. I think that the only way to play Netflix on Linux is to use the full desktop versions of Firefox or Chrome, and those are not available for the Enigma2 platform.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 00:07

I have just heard that I can buy "Fetch Mighty retail, pay $1 once off to activate. Then add Netflix." That being the case it means my third option is actually as follows, which certainly moves it up the preference list.

Fetch TV 4 tuners; saves IceTV; Can handle straight Netflix subscription but I lose skip function. Net cost $400 plus $2 per month (above cost of replaced IceTV)

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 00:10

Sorry, posted my last reply before reading yours. Your comments make sense all round. So that probably means I should leave Netflix out of the equation and just make my decision on whether the $300 spend is worth it to save $7.99 per month and gain an extra tuner

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 22, 2017 00:12

But you also can't download Netflix on the Fetch Mighty, so you are stuck without being able to stream in realtime again.

You are better off buying a T2, paying the Netflix subscription fee and then Torrenting the Netflix content via dubious means. It's still not legal (and as such I cannot recommend you actually *do* it), but morally, you are in the right space.

If you want to be squeaky clean, then the T2 and PC is a good combination.
If you want to save on space in the AV shelf, then one of the Intel NUC models, or a similar mini PC is worth looking into. Many of them are tiny, and also have an IR receiver, so you can use them via remote control.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 00:16

What a brilliant solution. Thank you for your patience and clear explanations.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 22, 2017 00:22

Actually, one thing that I just remembered was that for some bizzare reason, the Windows version of the Netflix app doesn't work with an IR remote control (and for the same reason cannot be controlled by keyboard), only by mouse.

There are some extra 3rd party apps and buggering around that you can do to make keyboards and remotes work I hear, but it isn't straightforward. Or you can just use a wireless mouse :)

I have just installed the app on my own PC to have a look, and it seems as if not all content is downloadable. Lots of older series and movies are downloadable, and the Netflix-produced shows seem to be as well, but quite a few newer movies and 3rd party content cannot be downloaded. Something to consider in your final decision.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 00:34

Intriguing!

I thought in the short term I could use an old laptop I have until I am confident with Netflix and then switch to a mini PC like you suggested if I am comfortable with it. I could hide the laptop except for the mouse receiver and use the TV as the laptop monitor to run Netflix. That could work well if all I need to drive Netflix is a wifi mouse for the laptop. I may not even need to upgrade to a mini PC until the laptop dies.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”