Is it possible to get more info from Ice EPG on shows?

Discuss the IceTV EPG and Recording Apps here

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: Is it possible to get more info from Ice EPG on shows?

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 16:50

OK, the incorrect justification of the last line of a para seems to be caused by the fact that IceTV uses DOS-ish <CR><LF> line endings, rather than Unixoid <LF>.

If I change the IceTV plugin to replace "\r\n" with "\n" in the short and extended descriptions, the problem goes away.

I can't work out why the <CR> causes a problem with the halign="block" alignment, since it should be removed (and ignored in setting format action flags) before the alignment code runs on the string.

It doesn't help much when there's a comment at the beginning of one of the member functions that does the alignment that says (in German) "the code here is a little strange" ;) Elsewhere in the string rendering there's a "reeealy lame, but it won't work otherwise, sorry".
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 17:00

adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 16:31
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 15:16
[Edit:] I notice the text in your screenshot includes some of those annoying extraneous characters too.
That's the UTF-8 sequence for U+FFFD, the replacement character; it's also present in the web guide. Presumably it's supposed to be U+2019, single right quote (a curly apostrophe).

Ah, yes, that's the other encoding problem, with the first one layered on top of it. Some Unicode characters are incorrectly in the database as REPLACEMENT CHARACTER (often apostrophes, but other characters, too), then, on top of that, they're encoded incorrectly. If they were encoded correctly, they'd "softly and silently vanish away", because there's no representation of REPLACEMENT CHARACTER in the enigma2 fonts. That's also incorrect, but it might be a bit less jarring.

Other Unicode characters that are > U+7F and correctly represented in the database are mangled in the same way during conversion to JSON.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Wed Apr 25, 2018 17:02

adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 13:28
Star6key wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09
I created a script.

Execution progress:
sed: /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/*.xml: No such file or directory
Execution finished!!
At a guess you've used Windows/CRLF line endings, but the script needs to have Unix/LF line endings. CR isn't displayed, so you can't see it, but the message is actually ...*.xml^M:..., which is why the wildcard didn't expand (^M represents CR).
Windows, yes. However, Notepad++ has an EOL windows to unix converter. Used that and the script ran successfully. I'm doing some recording so it's going to be a few hours before I can restart the GUI.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 17:18

prl wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 16:50
I can't work out why the <CR> causes a problem with the halign="block" alignment, since it should be removed (and ignored in setting format action flags) before the alignment code runs on the string.
The alignment code runs on the glyphs; CR has no glyph, so the GS_LF flag does not get set on the now-last character.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 17:27

adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 17:18
prl wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 16:50
The alignment code runs on the glyphs; CR has no glyph, so the GS_LF flag does not get set on the now-last character.

You're right, that's it. It might be a bit messy to fix, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:50

Hi,

I am following this thread from afar. That said, wouldn't it be easy to simply replace all /\r+\n/s with /\n/s and then any remaining /\r/s on their own with /\n/s on initial data acquisition? (/\r/ without an /\n/ implies overprint which would make no sense in this context. If \n replacement is not seen as appropriate then simply throw away any /\r/s on their own.)

Given that I haven't seen this on the FTA EPG for a very long time is this a matter for IceTV to fix the quality of their feed data?

At least it isn't OverlayHD at fault. ;) (It shows the problem but doesn't cause it.)

Regards,
Ian.
Last edited by IanSav on Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:51

It's starting to get a bit OT, but I wonder why the enigma2 text rendering is treating Unicode code points U+008A (LINE TABULATION SET) and U+E08A (a character in the Unicode Private Use Area) as newlines?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:56

IanSav wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:50
I am following this thread from afar. That said, wouldn't it be easy to simply replace all /\r+\n/s with /\n/s and then any remaining /\r/s on their own with /\n/s on initial data acquisition? (/\r/ without an /\n/ implies overprint which would make no sense in this context. If \n replacement is not seen as appropriate then simply throw away any /\r/s on their own.)
That would fix this particular instance of the problem.

The underlying problem is that the enigma2 text rendering code for block fill will fail to correctly format any line that ends in "<non-printing-character-other-than-space>\n". That includes tab and the colour change control sequence as well as CR.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 25, 2018 20:12

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:56
IanSav wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:50
That would fix this particular instance of the problem.

The underlying problem is that the enigma2 text rendering code for block fill will fail to correctly format any line that ends in "<non-printing-character-other-than-space>\n". That includes tab and the colour change control sequence as well as CR.
Ah, okay. I will leave you and Adoxa to sort out the underlying issue.

I will take my sticky beak out of here and back into negotiating the new Setup.py and ConfigList.py into OpenPLi and OpenViX so that it can come into the Beyonwiz image. It is a slow and difficult process but I am making good headway. Some changes are already in but more should be coming soon.

Regards,
Ian.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Wed Apr 25, 2018 23:14

adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 00:31
Okay, let's just zap 'em all. Run this in telnet or copy it to a script.

Code: Select all

sed -i~ 's/halign="block" //' /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/*.xml
Ok, so this seems to have done the trick. I went through the epg over a few days, highlighting as many shows as I could, and they all seem to be displaying properly in the description. :D

One thing I have noticed though, is that there seem to be a lot of 'Year: 0' (for tv shows, not movies). Either Icetv is sending this, or something wacky is going on. Regardless, is it possible to do a -
'if Year = 0, don't display the year',
in the code?

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 02:24

+1.

It appears the test in Adoxa's patch for 'year' is setting a value that is published in all the program guide cells in the graphical EPG whether the value is 0 or a valid year.

I don't recall seeing this before running the patch. Still, I like the year being there when it's not zero.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Apr 26, 2018 18:16

Fixed the year issue, stripped CRs from the description which should fix the alignment issue and added category & rating (if prl would like to share his code, I could add them properly). Updated the original post. So now the info should look something like this:

Winners Right The History Books

Berlin Station continues to search for the truth behind Katerina Gerhardt's assassination and
Nick Fischer's (Scott Winters) role in it, as a protest outside the US Embassy and calls to turn
Hector (Rhys Ifans) over escalate.

Year: 2017
Cast: Richard Armitage, Rhys Ifans, Leland Orser, Michelle Forbes
Category: Drama/Thriller
Rating: MA

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 26, 2018 18:23

adoxa wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 18:16
Fixed the year issue, stripped CRs from the description which should fix the alignment issue and added category & rating (if prl would like to share his code, I could add them properly). ...

The code isn't ready to go and requires modifications to the C++ code (epgcache.h & epgcache.cpp). It would allow the genre and rating to appear in the places where they now appear for the FTA guide.

I really should get onto it.

A difficulty with it is that IceTV uses more different genre strings than there are genre descriptors :(
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Thu Apr 26, 2018 19:13

adoxa wrote:
Fixed the year issue, stripped CRs from the description which should fix the alignment issue and added category & rating (if prl would like to share his code, I could add them properly). Updated the original post. So now the info should look something like this:

Winners Right The History Books

Berlin Station continues to search for the truth behind Katerina Gerhardt's assassination and
Nick Fischer's (Scott Winters) role in it, as a protest outside the US Embassy and calls to turn
Hector (Rhys Ifans) over escalate.

Year: 2017
Cast: Richard Armitage, Rhys Ifans, Leland Orser, Michelle Forbes
Category: Drama/Thriller
Rating: MA
:? :?

I can't get this to work. I've run the script to restore the old backup. Then I run it again to do the backup and copy the new file. Reboot. Check the epg... it's exactly the same. Still get 'Year: 0', and there are no ratings or categories.
I've checked the plugin.pyo file from your download, and it's dated 26/04/18 5.52pm.

Running out of ideas here...

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 01:14

I've had that problem with my own patches, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, somewhere. Anyway, I've updated it again, albeit with just a new timestamp, since the new code seems to be present. If it still doesn't work, I've also supplied the source, so navigate to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV and delete plugin.pyo; after a restart it should compile it. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18

adoxa wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 01:14
I've had that problem with my own patches, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, somewhere. Anyway, I've updated it again, albeit with just a new timestamp, since the new code seems to be present. If it still doesn't work, I've also supplied the source, so navigate to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV and delete plugin.pyo; after a restart it should compile it. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss.
When I run the script, I get -

Creating backup...
tar: usr/lib/enigma2/python/plugins/systemplugins/icetv/plugin.py: No such file or directory
tar: error exit delayed from previous errors

then it copies the files and finishes. Rebooted, but still no change (Still get 'Year: 0', and there are no ratings or categories). Deleted the plugin.pyo file and rebooted (plugin.pyo file was recreated), but still no change.
I've run the script in pairs (restore/create new file) a few times, but always the same sequence of events (including the error).

:(

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 13:17

Star6key wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18
tar: usr/lib/enigma2/python/plugins/systemplugins/icetv/plugin.py: No such file or directory
I was going to ask if that is an accurate message - it should be SystemPlugins/IceTV - but...
Deleted the plugin.pyo file and rebooted (plugin.pyo file was recreated), but still no change.
...if it compiled okay, it must be. Just to be sure, though, you do only have ...System... and not ...system..., right? Unix is case-sensitive, so it does matter.

I did find an actual bug, so I've updated again. With any luck maybe this one'll work.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Apr 27, 2018 15:22

adoxa wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 13:17
Star6key wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:18
I was going to ask if that is an accurate message - it should be SystemPlugins/IceTV - but...
Deleted the plugin.pyo file and rebooted (plugin.pyo file was recreated), but still no change.
...if it compiled okay, it must be. Just to be sure, though, you do only have ...System... and not ...system..., right? Unix is case-sensitive, so it does matter.

I did find an actual bug, so I've updated again. With any luck maybe this one'll work.
Sorry, didn't realise unix was case sensitive, but I just copied the files/folder from the zip, so the capitalisation is correct.

Ran the new script. still the same. Don't worry about it Adoxa. It's good enough as it is. :)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Apr 27, 2018 17:02

Star6key wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 15:22
Sorry, didn't realise unix was case sensitive, but I just copied the files/folder from the zip, so the capitalisation is correct.

Ran the new script. still the same. Don't worry about it Adoxa. It's good enough as it is. :)

The mixed-casing must have been lost either when unzipped or when transferred to your T4.
I downloaded the zip and extracted it - the mixed casing is fine for me.
E:\Downloads\icetv-desc\usr\lib\enigma2\python\Plugins\SystemPlugins\IceTV

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Apr 27, 2018 18:03

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 17:02
Star6key wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 15:22

The mixed-casing must have been lost either when unzipped or when transferred to your T4.
I downloaded the zip and extracted it - the mixed casing is fine for me.
E:\Downloads\icetv-desc\usr\lib\enigma2\python\Plugins\SystemPlugins\IceTV
I think you misunderstood GG. The mixed case is fine, I just typed it in here, in lower case. It's all good. :wink:

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 04:08

It's looking very nice Adoxa. Thanks once more. :D :D :D

The script failed at the copy to /usr though it's not apparent why. To my amateur eye it is setup syntactically the same as other scripts that work without fail installed from the same source location. Working fine for me when manually installed on the T3 and T4. Copied the plugin.pyo into the target directory using windows explorer (I have set up for Samba access to the target directory).
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22

Installed okay for me, but I've removed IceTV; perhaps there's an overwrite issue? But still, it copied the source for Star6key and he explicitly deleted the .pyo, which then compiled the source. But even then it still used the first patch, so it's got me beat.

@Star6key: sorry for replying publicly, but apparently you can't receive PMs. I don't have a network, so it'd still be tricky to test IceTV.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05

adoxa wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22
Installed okay for me, but I've removed IceTV; perhaps there's an overwrite issue? But still, it copied the source for Star6key and he explicitly deleted the .pyo, which then compiled the source. But even then it still used the first patch, so it's got me beat.

@Star6key: sorry for replying publicly, but apparently you can't receive PMs. I don't have a network, so it'd still be tricky to test IceTV.
Yeah, it's got me beat as well. I've even tried copying the plugin.pyo file over the existing one using win explorer like Paul did, but still no joy. The only thing that's a little curious is that after copying the file and rebooting, the modified datestamp has the date/time when it reboots, as opposed to original date/time I downloaded it. Weird...

As for the PM, don't worry about it. I forgot that I turned it off. :roll:

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13

Star6key wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05
The only thing that's a little curious is that after copying the file and rebooting, the modified datestamp has the date/time when it reboots, as opposed to original date/time I downloaded it. Weird...
Got it!
It occurred to me that when it reboots, something is happening with the plugin.pyo file and is being recreated. Checked the folder and it still has the plugin.py source file. I deleted that, recopied the plugin.pyo file and rebooted... BINGO!!
It looks like that if the source file is in the folder, it just re-compiles it, whether you want it to or not.

Stupid unix... :lol:

edit - and the datestamp is the same as the original.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57

Star6key wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13
It looks like that if the source file is in the folder, it just re-compiles it, whether you want it to or not.

It will recompile the source file if there is no .pyc or .pyo file, or if source file is newer than the .pyc or .pyo file. That's the intended behaviour.

Star6key wrote:
Stupid unix... :lol:

I think that it's a language (or rather interpreter) feature and isn't OS-specific.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:31

Star6key wrote:
Sorry, I meant to mention that.
prl wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57
It will recompile the source file if there is no .pyc or .pyo file, or if source file is newer than the .pyc or .pyo file. That's the intended behaviour.
Even though that's the intended behaviour, it's not what's experienced, since the source should have been older than the .pyo. Maybe there's some sort of checksum, in which case .py beats .pyo?

I'll investigate closer the next time one of my own updates goes awry.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:47

adoxa wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22
Installed okay for me, but I've removed IceTV; perhaps there's an overwrite issue? ...

It installed fine for me too on my T4, and I use IceTV.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 05, 2018 22:41

prl wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 18:23
adoxa wrote:
Fixed the year issue, stripped CRs from the description which should fix the alignment issue and added category & rating (if prl would like to share his code, I could add them properly). ...

The code isn't ready to go and requires modifications to the C++ code (epgcache.h & epgcache.cpp). It would allow the genre and rating to appear in the places where they now appear for the FTA guide.

I really should get onto it.

And I have, including the display of multiple IceTV genres descriptors:
IceTV descriptors.png

For IanSav: there will be a new EventName converter, GenreList, and new separator options SeparatorSlash ("/") and SeparatorComma (", "). GenreList defaults to SeparatorComma, other converters stay defaulting to NotSeparated.

For IceTV, the Genre converter still works and shows the string for the numerically smallest EIT genre code.
prl wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 18:23
A difficulty with it is that IceTV uses more different genre strings than there are genre descriptors :(

That was a bit messy, but it seems to be good now. Thanks to Daniel Hall at IceTV for a definitive list of IceTV categories and their EIT codes.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun May 06, 2018 01:11

Hi Prl,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Will you be submitting the enhancements upstream?

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 06, 2018 09:00

IanSav wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 01:11
Thanks for the heads-up.

No problem. I thought about having Genre change to return a list of genres, but I decided that it was cleaner to add a new conversion.

Although the low-level code can now also handle multiple classifications (e.g. for multiple countries), I haven't added code to handle that, because I'm not really sure what it should do, because we don't have that in our environment.
IanSav wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 01:11
Will you be submitting the enhancements upstream?

I'd like to, but I can't make a build environment for OpenViX any more. One of the repositories it uses has closed down and the build can't progress beyond that. I need to do some more digging to see if it's been fixed in OpenViX yet (it takes several days of building the build environment before it dies), or see if I can work around it somehow (or even submit a fix to OpenViX).

I'd like to submit my block formatting fixes upstream, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 06, 2018 14:01

prl wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 09:00
... I can't make a build environment for OpenViX any more. One of the repositories it uses has closed down and the build can't progress beyond that. I need to do some more digging to see if it's been fixed in OpenViX yet ...

The problem I was having appears to have been fixed, or at least, the URL that pointed to a non-existent repository server now points elsewhere.

Build of OpenViX started...
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun May 06, 2018 17:21

Hi Prl,

That is good news.

I was going to ask Huevos for assistance if problems persisted. (I would act faster but I am a little under the weather at the moment.)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 06, 2018 17:43

IanSav wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 17:21
That is good news.

Yes, but 3 and three quarter hours into the build and it's at "Running task 191 of 13930". It's a long, slow grind...
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 06, 2018 17:51

I have now modified my local copies all three skins to use genre lists. I'll put an alpha on our in-use T4 tomorrow, and if there aren't any problems, I'll make an alpha available for people to have a look at in a few days.

The alpha is model-specific, because changes to the compiled C++ code were needed to support it.

IanSav, do you have a usable T4?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun May 06, 2018 18:06

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 17:51
IanSav, do you have a usable T4?
No. T3 only.

I am keeping an eye open for any working T4s being replaced.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 06, 2018 18:17

OK, I'll do a T3 version. If anyone wants to try out the alpha when it's available, please say which model.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 06, 2018 18:53

prl wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 18:17
OK, I'll do a T3 version. If anyone wants to try out the alpha when it's available, please say which model.
Hi Peter,
I'm happy to run it on all three Wizzes (T3, T4, U4) but the T4 is the main machine in daily use.

I do use Patches by Adoxa with OverlayHD 1.64 if that's a factor. If so, I would keep it to the U4 with the conflict removed.

Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 06, 2018 19:23

Installing my alpha would certainly undo adoxa's IceTV credits, etc, patch, and may interfere in other ways with his other patches. The alpha wouldn't be intended for long-term use, but once it's been tested I'd submit it to the repository ASAP.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun May 06, 2018 19:27

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 18:53
...I would keep it to the U4 with the conflict removed.

"conflict" - is that conflict with the setup or conflict with SWMBO who'd cut off your nuts if you screwed with her recordings/timers et. al.? :lol:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 06, 2018 19:31

The alpha will have run on our in-use T4 before I make it available.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 06, 2018 20:36

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 19:27
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 18:53
...I would keep it to the U4 with the conflict removed.

"conflict" - is that conflict with the setup or conflict with SWMBO who'd cut off your nuts if you screwed with her recordings/timers et. al.? :lol:
Very astute! Both, of course...

If the only real software conflict is with Adoxa's ice-desc patch, that's easily fixed. If it's with her viewing - well, it's been nice knowing you guys. :cry:
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 07, 2018 08:16

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 20:36
If the only real software conflict is with Adoxa's ice-desc patch, that's easily fixed.

That's not quite what I said:
Installing my alpha would certainly undo adoxa's IceTV credits, etc, patch, and may interfere in other ways with his other patches.
[emphasis added]
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:21

prl wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 08:16
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 20:36
If the only real software conflict is with Adoxa's ice-desc patch, that's easily fixed.

That's not quite what I said:
Installing my alpha would certainly undo adoxa's IceTV credits, etc, patch, and may interfere in other ways with his other patches.
[emphasis added]
Understood Peter. As GG so astutely pointed out - take the conservative route, lest I ruin SWMBO's evening... :wink: :wink:
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 11, 2018 11:42

Here's a an alpha patch for my changes to allow program genres and parental ratings to be displayed when using IceTV (despite the patch name, it does both genre and parental ratings). The information should appear in all the same places where it would appear when using the FTA EPG.

Uninstall this patch before doing any online firmware update! A firmware update from USB will safely remove this patch, and recover from any errors you might make in doing the install or uninstall.

The patch is compatible with the OverlayHD skin and will patch OverlayHD if it is installed. Don't uninstall, re-install or upgrade OverlayHD while the patch is installed.

This patch conflicts with adoxa's icetv-desc and patches-by-adoxa patches If you use adoxa's patches, the simplest way to test these IceTV changes is to uninstall any of adoxa's patches that you've installed and install this patch. Then, when you've finished testing these changes, uninstall this patch and re-install your patches from adoxa.

If you're a bit more adventurous, you could try (all untested!):
  • If you only use icetv-desc, you can leave it installed, install this patch and uninstall it when you've finished testing. While this patch is installed the extra information displayed by icetv-desc won't be shown in the program descriptions. When you uninstall this patch, you will lose its functionality, but regain that of icetv-desc.
  • Installing this patch over patches-by-adoxa will cause undesirable interactions, possibly even crashes.
  • However, uninstalling patches-by-adoxa, installing this patch and then re-installing patches-by-adoxa might work.
If you're uncomfortable with doing any part of the instructions, don't do any of them!

To install:

To apply the patches, download the correct patch ZIP file for your PVR from my Dropbox account:
icetv-genres2-installer.t2.zip
icetv-genres2-installer.t3.zip
icetv-genres2-installer.t4.zip
icetv-genres2-installer.u4.zip

Extract the ZIP file. It will create a new directory/folder called icetv-genres2-installer.XX, where XX is the model name in the ZIP file name. The directory contains two files, installer.sh and uninstaller.sh.

Copy the two files somewhere convenient on a T/U series box (like /home/root), then log into the box using telnet or ssh, change directory to the place you put the installer.sh/uninstaller.sh files. If you put the files in /home/root you'll be in the right place as soon as you log in.

To install the patches run:

sh installer.sh

and restart the GUI (or reboot).

Once the GUI has restarted, you should see genre and parental rating information displayed in the EPGs, the second infobar, event information screens and in the channel selection screen when you use IceTV (and will continue to be displayed if you use the FTA EPG).

You won't see any genre and parental rating information displayed in the media selection screen for existing recordings made before the patch is installed. Recordings made while the patch is installed will display the information in the media selection screen while the patch is installed.

To uninstall the patches, log in and go to the directory as you did to install, and run

sh uninstaller.sh

And restart the GUI.

When the patch has been uninstalled, genre and parental rating information will no longer be displayed in the EPGs and other places that display EPG data.

Recordings made while the patch was installed will continue to show correct parental rating information in the media selection screen, but because the IceTV genre tables won't be in the firmware any more, they will show only one of the genre types and it is likely not to have the same description as the IceTV genre name. The genre names will be displayed correctly if the patch is re-applied, or when it becomes part of the distributed firmware.

If you have debug logging running, check occasionally that there are no messages in the log of the form
[EPGFetcher] ERROR:
in the logs. They indicate problems with the way IceTV text genre descriptions are mapped into single-byte EPG genre codes. If you see any, please post them in this topic.

Make sure you uninstall before doing an upgrade. Don't run the installer if you've already installed & don't run the uninstaller if you've already uninstalled. See comments at the beginning of the post for information about interactions with adoxa's patches.

You can check whether the patches are installed by logging in and running this on the box:

find /usr/bin /usr/share/enigma2 /usr/lib/enigma2 -name \*.bak

It should print nothing if the patch isn't installed, and it should print

/usr/bin/enigma2.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/Full-Metal-Wizard/skin_videos.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/Full-Metal-Wizard/skin_infobars.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/Full-Metal-Wizard/skin.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/Full-Metal-Wizard/skin_epg.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/skin_infobars.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/skin_epgs.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/skin_tv_radio.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/skin_filemanagers.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/easy-skin-aus-hd/skin_videos.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/easy-skin-aus-hd/skin_infobars.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/easy-skin-aus-hd/skin.xml.bak
/usr/share/enigma2/easy-skin-aus-hd/skin_epg.xml.bak
/usr/lib/enigma2/python/enigma.pyo.bak
/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/Converter/EventName.pyo.bak
/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/Converter/genre.pyo.bak
/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/plugin.pyo.bak

If the patch is installed. If you don't have OverlayHD installed, the OverlayHD items won't be listed.

Comments welcome!
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 11, 2018 11:59

When I was doing the changes to allow IceTV genre and parental rating information to be displayed, I saw that similar things could be done to allow the extra program description information (credits, repeat information, production date, country, language, etc) to be encoded as labelled entries (extended event descriptors with item descriptions) in the EPG extended description.

If it's done that way, the handling and display of the extra information can be moved out of the IceTV plugin and into the main UI code and/or skin.

That means that if that sort of information is ever presented that way in the FTA EPG, then it can be handled in a similar way in the UI. The use of extended event descriptors with item descriptions isn't mentioned in the FreeTV OP OP 44 - Implementation Guide for DVB EIT Present/Following Information (EITp/f), so I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 11, 2018 12:11

Hi Prl,

I will be doing the inverse testing on these changes. I don't have or use IceTV but I will install the patch to check for any negative implications.

Users of OverlayHD who test the patch will need to grab screen shots of any issues with the skin for me to "see" the problem.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 11, 2018 13:14

IanSav wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:11
I will be doing the inverse testing on these changes. I don't have or use IceTV but I will install the patch to check for any negative implications.

Thanks, that's also useful.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri May 11, 2018 14:12

Cool. I will download and do some testing in the next few hours.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri May 11, 2018 14:40

Star6key wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 14:12
Cool. I will download and do some testing in the next few hours.
+1

I'll do it on the U4 with Adoxa's patches removed.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “Ice TV”