Is it possible to get more info from Ice EPG on shows?

Discuss the IceTV EPG and Recording Apps here

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: Is it possible to get more info from Ice EPG on shows?

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat May 12, 2018 16:50

Loaded 20180417 from USB.
Scanned services, setup network, setup IceTV, copied my SSH key, installed icetv-genres, restarted UI.
Genres and ratings display in/on: EPG, Single channel EPG (restricted and full), Multi-EPG, Infobar EPG, INFO from EPG event.
However no rating/genre on INFO from live TV (same as Event INFO from long-EPG), nor second infobar.
Life got in the way for a while. Get back to this to double-check, and wadda 'ya know; she works on both now. Perhaps an EPG update from Ice triggers something?

Anyway, so I restore my settings, with no added plugins/packages added. Back to having parental ratings displaying but no genres.
There are no "[EPGFetcher]" errors.

Seems to point at my settings, doesn't it?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 12, 2018 17:18

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 15:42
prl wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 19:09
Noting that what we are investigating is the case that the field is not empty except for GG, I notice for some channels (Eleven, One) the genre field is empty for some programs.

It would be useful to know for which programs the genre data was missing, and whether the data for those programs came from the IceTV or FTA EPGs (as identified by their descriptions). It's hard to do anything with "some programs", especially if it's unclear even which EPG the data is from.

To clarify: First noticed the missing genres on the IceTV Guide alone. They remained missing after I turned the two EIT settings back on. Both EIT settings are now off and the IceTV guide refreshed. On channel 9 GEM at 23:30,12/5/18: "Cold Case" has no genre entry.

"Cold Case" 9 GEM, 23:3012/5/18 shows "Drama, Crime" for me (ACT Guide).

I have seen some cases (ABC Landline, for example) where there was no genre data, though. I've done a scan through an IceTV EPG data dump I took on 2 May, and Landline seems to be consistently without genre data, similarly for Odd Squad. Individual episodes of Gruen XI and Full Proof were also missing genre data, but there may have only been one episode in the data dump).

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 15:42
prl wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 19:09
Also, for 9 Life, the genre field shows the odd value "Unused" for a number of shows. Probably "Unused" comes from IceTV like that and is not meant to be displayed - maybe should be hidden if present.

Again, which shows, and is that for data from the IceTV or FTA EPG? "Unused" should only be displayed using the IceTV genre tables if the EIT genre code is 0x00. In the IceTV data, that should be being mapped away from 0x00. For FTA data, that value should not be present. The whole genre code range 0x00-0x0f is "Reserved" in Australian FTA broadcasts, but 0x00 might be being sent to indicate "no information".

"Unused" is not an IceTV category (genre) name. It's a slot filler in the lookup table. Perhaps it shouldn't be displaying.

IceTV Guide for 9 Life (Melbourne) from 15:00 - 23:59 is showing " Unused" for all programs. By name: Extreme Vacation Homes, Million Dollar Contractor, Flip or Flop, Fixer Up, Zombie House Flipping, House Hunters, House Hunters International, House Hunters Renovation, Texas Flip and Move and House Hunters International. Both EIT settings are off. IceTV guide refreshed.

I'm not seeing Unused in any 9Life programs that I've looked at. In particular:
Extreme Vacation Homes: Real* Life
Million Dollar Contractor: Lifestyle, Renovation
Flip or Flop: Lifestyle, Renovation
Fixer Up[per]: Lifestyle
Zombie House Flipping: Lifestyle
House Hunters: Lifestyle, Renovation
House Hunters International: Lifestyle, Renovation
House Hunters Renovation: Lifestyle, Renovation
Texas Flip and Move: Real* Life

* Where "Real" is broadly defined ;)

When you first start the UI after installing icetv-genres, the EPG will initially contain the old cached data, and will only update to show the added information after the IceTV plugin completes its startup-time EPG fetch. But during that time, both the parental rating and genre data will be missing.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 12, 2018 17:42

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 16:50
Loaded 20180417 from USB.
Scanned services, setup network, setup IceTV, copied my SSH key, installed icetv-genres, restarted UI.
Genres and ratings display in/on: EPG, Single channel EPG (restricted and full), Multi-EPG, Infobar EPG, INFO from EPG event.
However no rating/genre on INFO from live TV (same as Event INFO from long-EPG), nor second infobar.
Life got in the way for a while. Get back to this to double-check, and wadda 'ya know; she works on both now. Perhaps an EPG update from Ice triggers something?

See my comment about the genre/rating information taking a little time to load at startup in my reply to Paul_oz53 above. It sounds like you caught it part-way through the IceTV EPG fetch. This shouldn't be a problem once the code is part of the standard firmware.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Anyway, so I restore my settings, with no added plugins/packages added. Back to having parental ratings displaying but no genres.

It does a bit.

Despite what I said before about this, there is a setting that can directly affect the display of genres: MENU>Setup>TV>EPG Settings>Country for EPG event genre information. If it's set to either Australia or Auto Detect, it should be OK. If it's set to Generic, that won't work properly, though you should be seeing some genre data, but in lower case, like "movie/drama (general)".

If that's not it, I may need a copy of your settings file to compare against the settings on machines where it's working. Please eradicate any authentication information in what you post, though, like (but not restricted to) config.plugins.icetv.device.id, config.plugins.icetv.member.email_address, config.plugins.icetv.member.id, config.plugins.icetv.member.token.

My test boxes run pretty vanilla settings. Even our in-use box doesn't have all that much setup.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat May 12, 2018 18:16

prl wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 17:42
See my comment about the genre/rating information taking a little time to load at startup in my reply to Paul_oz53 above. It sounds like you caught it part-way through the IceTV EPG fetch. This shouldn't be a problem once the code is part of the standard firmware.

I did wait for the EPG fetch to complete (I viewed the Ice event log), but perhaps it was still building some stuff.

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:

prl wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 17:42
It does a bit.

I was looking through my settings to see how much to nuke before posting here, and what do I see -
config.usage.show_genre_info=False :?:
So I go to MENU>>Setup>>System>>GUI settings>>CH-, then enabled 'Show event genre information'.
Bingo! :D
One thing I did notice, the second infobar wouldn't show the genre until I zapped away, then it showed, and it showed when I zapped back.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat May 12, 2018 18:28

prl wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 17:18

When you first start the UI after installing icetv-genres, the EPG will initially contain the old cached data, and will only update to show the added information after the IceTV plugin completes its startup-time EPG fetch. But during that time, both the parental rating and genre data will be missing.
Yes, it does appear that the caching effect is the underlying cause of this (mis)behaviour.

This time I disabled IceTV, resent all timers and then re-enabled and then fetched the EPG and timers (for good measure). Now, the empty fields in 9 Life are populated as per your list and the 'Unused' entries have disappeared. So, the lesson would seem to be that a resend all timers is advisable to avoid any glitch at startup. When I previously tried, I omitted this step.

MENU>Setup>TV>EPG Settings>Country for EPG event genre information is set to Auto Detect,
MENU>>Setup>>System>>GUI settings>>CH-, 'Show event genre information' was already enabled.

Cheers,
Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 12, 2018 18:31

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 18:16
I was looking through my settings to see how much to nuke before posting here, and what do I see -

That even shows up in the grep I did to find config variables in the files I modified, and I missed it completely! :roll: :oops:
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
So I go to MENU>>Setup>>System>>GUI settings>>CH-, then enabled 'Show event genre information'.
Bingo! :D

I'm glad that one's found. I was really puzzling over it.

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
One thing I did notice, the second infobar wouldn't show the genre until I zapped away, then it showed, and it showed when I zapped back.

Handwave... mumble... cacheing... handwave...

I've never really worked out exactly what the @cached decoration in the Converters does, so it could be that, but I don't know.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat May 12, 2018 18:56

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 18:31
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
That even shows up in the grep I did to find config variables in the files I modified, and I missed it completely! :roll: :oops:
When I originally wrote the code and merged it into OpenViX they needed the default to be False as the data is not usually available in the OpenViX markets. When PeterU merged the code into Beyonwiz the OpenViX default came with it. The default for this setting has been set to True since 18-Jan-2017 when I corrected it. (The data is usually available in Australia.)

I suspect that the only way this setting could change would be if some experimentation was performed. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat May 12, 2018 20:11

IanSav wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 18:56
...I suspect that the only way this setting could change would be if some experimentation was performed. ;)

I checked the T4 backups and can see -
4-Dec-17 - no genre setting
18-Dec-17 - config.usage.show_genre_info=False
I guess I must've changed it by accident.
My T2 and U4 don't have the setting (i.e. at default value).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 12, 2018 22:47

IanSav wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 18:56
When I originally wrote the code and merged it into OpenViX they needed the default to be False as the data is not usually available in the OpenViX markets. When PeterU merged the code into Beyonwiz the OpenViX default came with it. The default for this setting has been set to True since 18-Jan-2017 when I corrected it. (The data is usually available in Australia.)

Thanks for the background. Have you had time to try out the alpha against the FTA EPG?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 13, 2018 12:43

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 18:28
prl wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 17:18

Yes, it does appear that the caching effect is the underlying cause of this (mis)behaviour.

This time I disabled IceTV, resent all timers and then re-enabled and then fetched the EPG and timers (for good measure). Now, the empty fields in 9 Life are populated as per your list and the 'Unused' entries have disappeared. So, the lesson would seem to be that a resend all timers is advisable to avoid any glitch at startup. When I previously tried, I omitted this step.

You shouldn't need to do a a "Fetch EPG" after a reboot or GUI restart to re-fill the IceTV EPG. As I mentioned above, though, it takes a little while after startup for that refill to happen. I doubt that an IceTV "Resend all timers" would make any difference.

I've worked the reason why you're seeing "Unused" on 9Life programs when you have "Enable EIT EPG" enabled. In the DTV standards, the genres are defined as a list of 8-bit codes (the FTA EPGs have only one in the list, but the IceTV EPG can have more, and often does), and codes 0x00-0x0f are "undefined content" in the Australian standard (and are not "[v]alid operational values for Australian implementation" in FreeView's OP-39). In the 9Life FTA EPG, Nine doesn't seem to have bothered supplying any genre information for any programs (or very few, if any). But instead of an empty list, they send a list with a single 0x00 value. The old code used to return an empty string for all values 0x00-0x0f, but some of those codes are used by IceTV (including 0x00). My remapping of IceTV codes means that 0x00 isn't used internally for IceTV genres, but it can still (apparently) occur in the FTA EPG.

When you have both IceTV and the EIT EPG enabled, the EPG cache is a completely inconsistent mess of data from the two sources. It uses two incompatible sets of values for the event ids, it uses time spans for events that no longer properly fill the EPG, and it uses two incompatible sets of interpretations for genres.

I'm currently working on a tweak to the IceTV genre mappings that will mean that they will also work in a more sensible way with the genre codes in the FTA EPG. It's enough of a change that I'll make a second alpha available for people to try out. That alpha will also have a few other things fixed up, like removing the unwanted debug print that Grumpy_Geoff found, and a slightly more graceful failure to work correctly if someone sets "Country for event genre information" to "Generic".

I'll also make it more difficult to accidentally run the installer when the patch is installed, and to run the uninstaller when it's already been uninstalled. ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:57

prl wrote: ...You shouldn't need to do a a "Fetch EPG" after a reboot or GUI restart to re-fill the IceTV EPG. As I mentioned above, though, it takes a little while after startup for that refill to happen. I doubt that an IceTV "Resend all timers" would make any difference.
So it may just have been that I took more time between my actions and that allowed the genres to update.
prl wrote: ..When you have both IceTV and the EIT EPG enabled, the EPG cache is a completely inconsistent mess of data from the two sources. It uses two incompatible sets of values for the event ids, it uses time spans for events that no longer properly fill the EPG, and it uses two incompatible sets of interpretations for genres.
I sometimes wonder why I have a talent for breaking things with unusual settings. :wink: :wink: I like to think I am a rational human being with sound judgement... :lol: :lol:
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 13, 2018 13:37

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:57
prl wrote: ..When you have both IceTV and the EIT EPG enabled, the EPG cache is a completely inconsistent mess of data from the two sources. It uses two incompatible sets of values for the event ids, it uses time spans for events that no longer properly fill the EPG, and it uses two incompatible sets of interpretations for genres.
I sometimes wonder why I have a talent for breaking things with unusual settings. :wink: :wink: I like to think I am a rational human being with sound judgement... :lol: :lol:

But when I suggested that the setup screens should be modified to stop the EIT EPG being enabled when IceTV was enabled, you objected.

That suggestion was for different reasons, and I'll make the tweaks to the genre code mappings anyway (it also helps with more graceful failure if "Country for event genre information" is set to "Generic").
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 13, 2018 16:21

prl wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 13:37
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:57

But when I suggested that the setup screens should be modified to stop the EIT EPG being enabled when IceTV was enabled, you objected.

That suggestion was for different reasons, and I'll make the tweaks to the genre code mappings anyway (it also helps with more graceful failure if "Country for event genre information" is set to "Generic").
Hi Peter,

I hope you are not offended and please don't take anything I post the wrong way - my goal is to arrive at the best possible overall experience and I'm totally in awe of your coding skills.

When it comes to the EPG, I am torn between two competing realities:
  1. IceTV is a great service for automatically recording our favourite shows with minimal intervention but has an imperfect EPG that does not respond to last-minute changes; and
  2. The FTA EPG is more accurate than IceTV but involves substantial extra work to use autotimers.
Neither is perfect. The compromise I have adopted of allowing both to operate though turns out to also undermine the genre information. Therefore, what I am not saying in the earlier post is that I am prepared to accept the shortcomings of having both operate if it gives me a greater chance of realizing that a program change has occurred, even if it means that I must manually set a timer because IceTV has failed to catch the event. One outcome of the current process is educating me on what those shortcomings might be.

This is an informed personal choice that I make; not one that I would impose on anyone else. If the option is removed, then I can no longer make this choice but others are spared if they inadvertently were to adopt my approach without knowing the consequences. So the question I was raising was is the consequence so severe that it justifies the removal of the option. My own view is it is not but others can and do differ.

The reality is these matters are akin to a benevolent dictatorship - the developers make the final decision based on their own assessments of what is best. I'm happy to be part of the process, even if I don't always get my way!

Cheers,
Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 13, 2018 17:09

Hi, Paul. I'm not offended in the least.

This is an issue that there really are good arguments on both sides, though I think the weight of the argument favours blocking the FTA EPG when IceTV is enabled. I won't go over the details again, but the EPG code just isn't designed to work with two different EPG sources for the same service(s). It's not for no reason that The Servant of Two Masters is a farce (OK, commedia dell'arte if you prefer) ;)

However, just because the UI no longer allows access to the config variable when IceTV is enabled, doesn't mean that it can't be set. You can always edit the settings file to re-enable the FTA EPG, but it will be disabled once more if you disable and then re-enable IceTV, and you'll have to re-enable IceTV again.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun May 13, 2018 17:19

prl wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 17:09
Hi, Paul. I'm not offended in the least.

This is an issue that there really are good arguments on both sides, though I think the weight of the argument favours blocking the FTA EPG when IceTV is enabled. I won't go over the details again, but the EPG code just isn't designed to work with two different EPG sources or the same service(s). It's not for no reason that The Servant of Two Masters is a farce (OK, commedia dell'arte if you prefer) ;)

However, just because the UI no longer allows access to the config variable when IceTV is enabled, doesn't mean that it can't be set. You can always edit the settings file to re-enable the FTA EPG, but it will be disabled once more if you disable and then re-enable IceTV, and you'll have to re-enable IceTV again.
Actually, that's a good point Peter. It's hidden but not inaccessible for advanced users. I can live with that option quite happily.
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 13, 2018 17:38

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 17:19
It's hidden but not inaccessible for advanced users.

Pons asinorum :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 13, 2018 18:51

I now have more graceful handling of genre information when both IceTV and the FTA EPG are enabled. I've tested it on a U4. I'll test on the other models and I hope to be able to make a new alpha available tomorrow (Monday 14 May).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 14, 2018 12:38

prl wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 18:51
I now have more graceful handling of genre information when both IceTV and the FTA EPG are enabled. I've tested it on a U4. I'll test on the other models and I hope to be able to make a new alpha available tomorrow (Monday 14 May).

The new version also removes the extraneous debug print that Grumpy_Geoff found and downgrades a bit more gracefully if Country for EPG event genre information is set to Generic. It still doesn't work particularly well, but then you've switched to a different interpretation of the genre codes that's even different from the Australian FTA EPG interpretation.

The new installers with those fixes are now available in the post containing the alphas (they replace the old ones). The installer ZIP and directory names are now icetv-genres2-installer.XX, where XX is the model name in the ZIP file name.

You need to uninstall the old version before installing this new version, and you need to uninstall the old version with the uninstaller.sh in the old version. The uninstaller in the new version will refuse to uninstall the old version.

The new installer/uninstaller.sh scripts now have some simple protection against installing when the patch is already installed and uninstalling when it has already been uninstalled.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

paullings
Master

Post by paullings » Tue May 15, 2018 08:40

Installed the new versions yesterday with no issues.
Uninstall of the old and new versions on T3 also no issues.
Thanks Peter.
Robert

U4 2TB (Jan 2018) 19.3.20211010 , HDMI
T3 1TB (Dec 2014) 19.3.20211010 , Front Panel 20057, HDMI, Warkus'd 2018 & still going
IceTV, Series2Folder, OverlayHD 1.70
Samsung 55"OLED TV, Apple TV, ReadyNAS 214, Sonos Arc, Harmony Ultimate One
Windows 10

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue May 15, 2018 17:18

paullings wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 08:40
Thanks Peter.
Uninstall and reinstall went perfectly. Up and running on the NBN or so I thought. But no, I hadn't saved the new network config!

Now set to Obtain IP Address automatically. Router setup to assign static IP addresses by MAC address. Now it all just works.

Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 15, 2018 17:30

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 17:18
paullings wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 08:40
Thanks Peter.
Uninstall and reinstall went perfectly. Up and running on the NBN or so I thought. But no, I hadn't saved the new network config!

Now set to Obtain IP Address automatically. Router setup to assign static IP addresses by MAC address. Now it all just works.

Thanks, Paul. I'm ready to get it ready to submit, then. If I can't get it done tomorrow it'll probably be a few days before I do it: got visitors coming tomorrow for a few days.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu May 17, 2018 12:52

Here's a script to add back the year and cast (untested I'm afraid, so hope it works). From a clean slate you should:
  1. install icetv-genres2;
  2. for those that want it, install patches-by-adoxa (for those with OverlayHD installed you'll get a hunk failed warning, just ignore it);
  3. install icetv-genres2-desc (there's no uninstall, the previous two will do that).
Attachments
icetv-genres2-desc.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Last edited by adoxa on Fri May 18, 2018 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu May 17, 2018 21:20

adoxa wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:52
Here's a script to add back the year and cast (untested I'm afraid, so hope it works). From a clean slate you should:
  1. install icetv-genres2;
  2. for those that want it, install patches-by-adoxa (for those with OverlayHD installed you'll get a hunk failed warning, just ignore it);
  3. install icetv-genres2-desc (there's no uninstall, the previous two will do that).
Installed and working. Looks really good with IceTV genre, patches by Adoxa and icetv-genres2-desc also installed. Haven't stress tested it though.

I use OverlayHD but didn't get a "hunk failed" warning. The message I did get was something like "line 23 unexpected component before fi". Had to go out and working from memory.

Doesn't appear to have had any adverse effect on the U4.
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 18, 2018 14:16

adoxa wrote:
Here's a script to add back the year and cast ...

Thanks. No everyone can have the best of both worlds :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 18, 2018 14:22

I've submitted the IceTV genre and parental ratings changes to the repository.

IanSav, I've attached the diffs for OverlayHD 1.64 to use the new genre list capabilities (it's a pretty trivial set of changes). They default to using the ", " separator between genres, but you can change that to "/" by adding "SeparatorSlash" to the modified converter entries (to have, say, "News/Current Affairs" instead of "News, Current Affairs").
Attachments
genre-diffs.txt
(5.79 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri May 18, 2018 14:54

adoxa wrote:
[*]install icetv-genres2-desc (there's no uninstall, the previous two will do that).[/list]

./setup.sh: line 23: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
./setup.sh: line 23: `fi'
I think you need a 'then' -

Code: Select all

if [ -e $backup -a -d OverlayHD]
        patch -p0 < $src/OverlayHD.patch
fi

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 18, 2018 15:05

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 14:22

IanSav, I've attached the diffs for OverlayHD 1.64 to use the new genre list capabilities (it's a pretty trivial set of changes). They default to using the ", " separator between genres, but you can change that to "/" by adding "SeparatorSlash" to the modified converter entries (to have, say, "News/Current Affairs" instead of "News, Current Affairs").
Thank you for the information.

I think I will use the "/" separator as that is one character shorter and may help fit the data into the available space.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri May 18, 2018 15:15

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 21:20
I use OverlayHD but didn't get a "hunk failed" warning.
You should get that warning when installing patches-by-adoxa; the corrected patch is made by icetv-genres2-desc (now that it's fixed). Without it the movie list won't display marks as it should.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri May 18, 2018 16:41

adoxa wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 15:15
Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 21:20
I use OverlayHD but didn't get a "hunk failed" warning.
You should get that warning when installing patches-by-adoxa; the corrected patch is made by icetv-genres2-desc (now that it's fixed). Without it the movie list won't display marks as it should.
[Edit] Installed patches-by-Adoxa then restarted before installing icetv-genres2-desc and restarting. [/Edit]

Just tried the media player and it all appears to be ok. Can't find anything broken as yet.

The start, end and last marks all show up in the correct positions. I get ticks when I multi-select and delete removes the selected items. Browsing to folders and playing back .TS, .avi, .mp4 and DVDs all work. Same if the source is the T3 or the T4 or one of the PCs.

I'll leave well enough alone for now.
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 22, 2018 17:40

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 14:22

Sorry for the delay in working on this. I am working hard on fixing / rewriting config.py for OpenViX and OpenPLi (and eventually Beyonwiz ;)).

I have been trying to work out how to implement these EPG changes into OverlayHD. On face value it should be simple. The problem is that these changes will be completely incompatible between Beyonwiz usage and usage on OpenViX and OpenPLi. I could try and use my XML rewriting code but I think it would make things VERY complicated and potentially fragile. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on how the differences can be eliminated?

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 22, 2018 17:51

IanSav wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 17:40
Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on how the differences can be eliminated?

The best way would probably to be to get my changes to eServiceEvent and Components.Converter.EventName incorporated upstream. The changes to eServiceEvent actually fix bugs (pairs of C++ methods on eServiceEvent that return different results but map to the same Python call signature through SWIG). If those changes were accepted, they would allow you to use the same skin XML on both Beyonwiz and upstream.

I'm still hampered in that by being unable to build OpenViX using version 4.1 of the OE-Alliance build environment. I haven't re-tried for a few days, but the last two times I tried it died with the same error (it looks like it might be caused by a missing build dependency) a bit over half way through the build tasks.

An alternative would be to change the semantics of the Beyonwiz EventName Genre converter to return a list rather than a single genre name. But that would mean you'd be stuck with using the default separator for the genre list on the Beyonwiz to avoid using unsupported converter parameters in the upstream.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 22, 2018 18:25

Hi Prl,

I doubt there a way to sell the genre list change upstream as they usually don't see ANY genre data. Bug fixes are always handy.

Perhaps you could file a pull request to Huevos' repository so he can build and test the changes. Again, the returns may not warrant the effort. I will ask for his opinion when he is next online.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 22, 2018 18:31

IanSav wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 18:25
Perhaps you could file a pull request to Huevos' repository so he can build and test the changes.

I really, really don't like making untested pull requests. Especially ones that fix an area that doesn't actually bother anyone on the "pull" side in a practical sense.

I've just kicked off another update/build run for OpenViX. I should know by morning whether it works now.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 15:50

I've submitted the updates to EPG genre fetches that allow genre lists to be fetched from the EPG into the Python code and used in EventName conversions.

I've added a note to the pull request that the added GenreList conversion in EventName simplifies keeping OverlayHD portable between Beyonwiz and OpenViX.

IanSav, you might want to keep an eye on the pull request in case the OpenViX repository admins are skeptical about the changes.

I haven't made a pull request to cover the other changes, like expanding the eEPGCache::submitEventData() interface to allow genre and parental rating lists to be loaded from external sources (as in out case, from IceTV).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 15:30

Hi, Ian. Huevos has raised some questions about the changes, which doesn't surprise me. I've answered in some detail. You may want to follow or join in the conversation.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Jun 15, 2018 15:45

Hi Prl,

Supporting post added to the pull request.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 15:54

Thanks. Short and to the point :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:07

Here's an updated patch for build 20180617 (and later) to add the year to the movie title or description and the cast to the description.
Attachments
icetv-desc.zip
(12.06 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by adoxa on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 02:42

adoxa wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:07
Here's an updated patch for build 20180617 (and later) to add the year to the movie title or description and the cast to the description.

Oddly enough, I can't get the installer script to run properly on the T4. The plugin.py patch is not getting installed and the backup file is not being created. Instead of echoing the expected messages in the script like "creating backup" and "copying files" the screen simply displays:

< 67718.129> [Console] executing in run 0  the command: ('/media/usb/icetv-desc_for_20180617+/setup.sh',)
Before you ask:
  1. Clean USB install of 20180417 followed by the online update to 20180627.
  2. Installed moviejoin 1.12, OverlayHD and S2F ver 1.8. Rebooted.
  3. Installed OverlayHD patch (to fix the two missing picons) and restarted GUI.
  4. Restored settings.
  5. Copied the folder to the HDD and a USB stick.
  6. Attempted to install the updated version of IceTV-Desc both from USB and from the HDD using FileCommander.
  7. Opened the installer script setup.sh and selected the run script option.
  8. Got the same result either way (but different file paths of course).
I added underscores to the folder name "icetv-desc_for_20180617+" to eliminate the spaces that previously were an issue and the log indicates it found setup.sh OK. I also used FileCommander to set it to execute as 755 (it was 777) in case that was the issue but still no joy - same result. The install worked ok on the U4 but its playing hardball on the T4. A manual check of all the settings indicated nothing out of place.

To get it working I've manually copied "plugin.py" to the IceTV target directory on the T4. Since the restart, its working fine. I'll just have to remember to nuke it before the next update. Since I'm ok, this post is in case someone else has a similar problem.
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 01, 2018 09:17

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 02:42
I also used FileCommander to set it to execute as 755 (it was 777) in case that was the issue but still no joy - same result.

The two bits you reset, octal 022, were the group and others write permission bits. Since you're running as the root user, changing those bits has no effect whatsoever to your access permissions on the file. But even if you weren't running as root, changing the write permissions would have no effect on your ability to run the script from the FileCommander.

The permissions written that way are 3 octal digits for UGO (User (owner of the file), Group, Others) and the bits within the octal digit are 4=read, 2=write, 1=execute.

So in an "ls" listing 755 is shown as rwxr-xr-x and 777 is rwxrwxrwx (in User, Group, Others order).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 02:42
Oddly enough, I can't get the installer script to run properly on the T4.
Sorry, it somehow ended up being CRLF. Updated (and I've finally fixed the paths-with-spaces problem).

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 15:09

Thanks Adoxa & prl,

I spent some time studying the script and internet Unix sites but couldn't see any reason for it not to work. CRLF was not on my radar.

I also thought 777 shouldn't be a problem but now I know why.

Hopefully this will make its way into the firmware too. Works well with IceTV and IMDB, courtesy of peteru and prl's efforts.

Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 17:46

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 15:09
Thanks Adoxa & prl,

I spent some time studying the script and internet Unix sites but couldn't see any reason for it not to work. CRLF was not on my radar.

I also thought 777 shouldn't be a problem but now I know why.

Hopefully this will make its way into the firmware too. Works well with IceTV and IMDB, courtesy of peteru and prl's efforts.

Paul
I see a year has gone by! I still use this patch by manually copying the plugin.py file to the IceTV directory and restarting the GUI. The installer complains that the directory path does not exist but it does.

Can't help but wonder if it is actually consistent with the current 19.3 20190715 version of plugin.pyo but it seems to be working ok. Any comments? It is a feature I would like to retain or add to the firmware. :D
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 18, 2019 18:17

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 17:46
Can't help but wonder if it is actually consistent with the current 19.3 20190715 version of plugin.pyo but it seems to be working ok. Any comments? It is a feature I would like to retain or add to the firmware. :D

Well, it would be "consistent" with it in the sense that it will probably still work, though it would lie about what version it is (the version info is in a file that isn't replaced by the patch).

However, IceTV in firmware 20190630 and later has some updates to the IceTV client that mean that double recordings and some phantom collisions should be much less likely.

I have the features that adoxa has implemented in the patch in mind, but I'd like to do it in a different way. It involves making use of "item descriptions" in the EPG Extended description. That would allow the EPG to contain labelled short description items like:
"Director": "Michael Curtiz"
"Writers": "Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein and others"
"Actors": "Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid"
and so on.

Doing it that way would give the UI code more control over what is displayed. It would be possible, for example, to tailor the information shown to different contexts. It would also mean that if you changed the settings for what information should be shown, it would be reflected immediately, without the need to reload the EPG. All the additional IceTV metadata might be captured this way, rather than just a few select fields.

But it may take me a while to gt to it, because it's a reasonable amount of work and it requires a change in the C++ API for inserting "foreign" event data into the EPG.

That import code also needs some performance improvements, because inserting a single event update from IceTV into the EPG is O(N) on the number of items in a channel's EPG, when it could be made O(log N). That means that the initial boot-time full update of the IceTV EPG cache is O(N^2), when it could be O(N log N).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 19:29

Thanks for the detailed information Peter.

I'll revert to the .pyo then as I overlooked the double recordings fix. That's more important in the lounge room.
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 00:33

Here's an update, requiring 20190630.
Attachments
icetv-desc.zip
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 09:10

adoxa wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 00:33
Here's an update, requiring 20190630.
Adoxa, you're priceless!!! :D :D :D
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Jul 22, 2019 17:29

Here's a plugin version. I've tested it installs, but not actually works. Uninstall the patch, restart (neither are strictly necessary, but recommended), then install the plugin - it will take effect immediately.

To install: Copy the attachment to USB. Insert the USB, you should be prompted to install extensions, select it. Press OK to select the extension, GREEN to install. Done.

(Update available.)
Attachments
enigma2-plugin-extensions-IceTVDesc_1.0.2_all.ipk
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Last edited by adoxa on Tue Oct 27, 2020 16:22, edited 3 times in total.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jul 22, 2019 19:49

adoxa wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 17:29
Here's a plugin version. I've tested it installs, but not actually works.

I know you don't have IceTV so couldn't test; here's the bad news -

{7568}<  4604.448> Unhandled Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 754, in run

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/_threads/_threadworker.py", line 46, in work

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/_threads/_team.py", line 190, in doWork

--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/python/threadpool.py", line 250, in inContext

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/python/threadpool.py", line 266, in <lambda>

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 122, in callWithContext

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 85, in callWithContext

File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/plugin.py", line 349, in doWork

File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/IceTVDesc/hook.py", line 14, in run

File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/IceTVDesc/hook.py", line 53, in makeChanShowMap

exceptions.NameError: global name 'genre_remaps' is not defined

Return to “Ice TV”