Is it possible to get more info from Ice EPG on shows?

Discuss the IceTV EPG and Recording Apps here

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mick_queensland
Master

Is it possible to get more info from Ice EPG on shows?

Post by mick_queensland » Sun May 31, 2015 22:04

Hi,
I had a look for info on this but I am not able to get the search function to find anything useful. Anyway, maybe someone will know straight away.
I have many wizzers, one of each model really, yes, 6 different models, 6 wizzers in total, from when they were first released :) I have had IceTV for many years too, I would not live without it.
The issue I want to know about is the EPG data from IceTV contains such info as Director and Stars and Year. The old model wizzers never picked this info up for display. I contacted IceTV about this back in April 2012 and they say that the issue is a Beyonwiz issue as they do send out the info and it is not displayed by the Beyonwiz. Well, at the time I settled for that answer and for what I got as I didn't think Beyonwiz would fix it. When the T3 was released I saw this as the perfect opportunity to put the extra info back into the display. I hoped that the info was there. Alas, the info on the IceTV EPG on the T3 is the same as the old wizzers, no Director, no actors, no year etc. :(

So, am I missing something hidden in the complexity of the T3 menu? Or can this issue be addressed in a new firmware release, pretty please :)

Second T3 EPG issue, and one I am sure someone can help with. When I choose to search IMDB, it never finds anything! I tired to remove the " movie: " from the title but this didn't help.

Cheers, Mick
PS:-
Here is the email and reply from IceTV from back in 2012
Dave R, Apr 17 12:57 pm (EST):

Hi Mick,
Our guide data does include the year, actors and director for movies and some shows. We will be adding it to all shows eventually, as well as series and episode numbers.

The problem is that the Beyonwiz does not display this extra information.

If you have a look at any movie in the TV Guide on the website you can see this information.
https://www.icetv.com.au/interactive/tvguide

Have a look at GO! for 7:30pm tonight in the TV Guide.
Movie: Lost In Space (1998) GO! Tue, 17 Apr 2012, 160 minutes, PG, Sci-Fi, Movie, WS, CC, Repeat (United States, English)
The Earth can no longer sustain human life; ... < cut > ... , what can be done to save it, and humanity? Directed by Stephen Hopkins. Gary Oldman, William Hurt, Matt LeBlanc, Mimi Rogers, Heather Graham, Lacey Chabert, Jack Johnson, Jared Harris

Then compare that the guide on the Beyonwiz:
Movie: Lost In Space PG WS CC Rpt
The Earth can no longer sustain human life; ... < cut > ... , what can be done to save it, and humanity? (United States, English)

Basically the Beyonwiz need to release a firmware update that makes use of the extra information, which is unlikely to happen as they are concentrating on the next generation models.

Best Regards,

Dave R
IceTV Support Team

IceTV Pty Limited
Level 1/42-44 Chandos Street, St Leonards, NSW 2065
phone // 1300 654 803 or 02 8424 7555
web // http://icetv.com.au
forum // http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/
Sales: 9am - 5pm Mon-Fri
Support: 12pm - 8pm Mon-Fri & 12pm - 6pm weekends/public holidays
Change the way you watch TV forever.

Mick Tiller, Apr 17 12:16 pm (EST):
Hi,
I would like to request that some more details are included in the EPG for movies. Specifically I would like to see what year is was made or released and at least one actor/actress in the movie.

Any chance of having that improvement to the EPG?
Hope so. :-)

I do like the style of the movie info at the moment, so that's fine.
cheers
Mick
V2 1TB SSD -> LG OLED C3 4K 48"; U4-1TB -> LG OLED C2 4K 65", Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Headphone Amp, Beyer DT-990 phones, Pioneer BDP-140; T2 1TB HDD -> Samsung UA43tu8000w Smart TV 43"; T3-2000 -> GVA G48tv15 48"; IceTV, GB LAN, NAS 3TB RAID1

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: Is it possible to get more info from Ice EPG on shows?

Post by peteru » Sun May 31, 2015 23:10

mick_queensland wrote:I am not able to get the search function to find anything useful
This is becoming a FAQ. I'll just paste a quote for your reference...
A large chunk of IceTV metadata does not follow the DVB standards and is IceTV's own proprietary invention. There are difficulties associated in mapping the IceTV proprietary EPG info onto industry standards. This has been a problem for more than 10 years. It was going to be cleaned up by IceTV back then, but it doesn't look like the problem has been fully addressed yet.

The ball is in IceTVs court to deliver the EPG data in a usable manner. They have a few alternatives:

By far the cheapest and simplest (and most compatible) alternative is to define a well formatted tag system for delivering the extra meta data inside standard DVB fields. IceTV can let the users configure the metadata delivery and presentation from the IceTV web interface. From what I can see, IceTV have already started on that path in the past with the repeat flag option. They just need to apply the same approach consistently and allow the users to select which fields to insert into the standard DVB EIT feed.

A more complex and expensive alternative is to implement an enhanced IceTV "user interface" to the IceTV EPG data on each device. With closed source PVRs, that would usually mean paying the manufacturer of the box to write and integrate the code. With the T3, IceTV have the luxury of choice. IceTV can implement and integrate an enhanced EPG user interface themselves, pay the manufacturer to do it or contract a third party.

Finally, there is the current option that IceTV have taken, which is to do nothing on the PVR end. Instead, some of the extra metadata is presented to customers only using IceTVs own apps and website. Each PVR is left to it's own devises to consume and present whatever EPG metadata subset it can conveniently deal with.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Sun May 31, 2015 23:36

Hi Peter,
thanks, perfect answer. Do you know if IceTV is addressing this or are we in the dark? I can send another email but I think we (as BW users) should present a consolidated appeal to them for some action. I guess it isnt a big deal though, but I for one have always been miffed at info being there but unable to be used.

Second question regards the IMDB search, which if it worked might assuage my miffedness from above, how do I get the IMDB search function to work?

Cheers
Mick
V2 1TB SSD -> LG OLED C3 4K 48"; U4-1TB -> LG OLED C2 4K 65", Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Headphone Amp, Beyer DT-990 phones, Pioneer BDP-140; T2 1TB HDD -> Samsung UA43tu8000w Smart TV 43"; T3-2000 -> GVA G48tv15 48"; IceTV, GB LAN, NAS 3TB RAID1

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Jun 01, 2015 00:07

IMDB search seems to work for me on FTA EPG. The matches on some of the titles are not great, but I certainly get more than "nothing". Usually you get several hits and then when you select one, you get the artwork, description, cast, director, etc.

I just highlight the show in the EPG and press the red button.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 00:13

When you tell Ice to remove "Movie:" is it actually removing it? You weren't clear as to what bit wasn't working.

If I do a IMDB search by pressing "Info" twice from Live TV, then it works properly. But that is because I use the OTA EIT Info for now/next and that doesn't have the "Movie:" prefix in it.
If I do an IMDB search for movie info from the EPG it fails. I use IceTV and have not chosen to remove the "Movie:" string from movies in my IceTV account settings.
If I do an IMDB seach from the EPG on a TV series, it will work fine as that does not have any strange prefix.

So my question is, is it still failing even when Ice removes "Movie:", or is it that Ice is not removing "Movie:"?

Edit: Actually, I just had a look at that Ice feature description. It specifically mentions that removing "Movie:" is for the Windows 7 Guide. Probably has no effect on the data that the T3 fetches.

I suppose that the T3 could be changed to automatically remove "Movie:" from IMDB search queries.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 08:48

mick_queensland wrote:...
The issue I want to know about is the EPG data from IceTV contains such info as Director and Stars and Year. The old model wizzers never picked this info up for display. I contacted IceTV about this back in April 2012 and they say that the issue is a Beyonwiz issue as they do send out the info and it is not displayed by the Beyonwiz. Well, at the time I settled for that answer and for what I got as I didn't think Beyonwiz would fix it. When the T3 was released I saw this as the perfect opportunity to put the extra info back into the display. I hoped that the info was there. Alas, the info on the IceTV EPG on the T3 is the same as the old wizzers, no Director, no actors, no year etc. :(

So, am I missing something hidden in the complexity of the T3 menu? Or can this issue be addressed in a new firmware release, pretty please :)
The reply you have from IceTV is correct. That information is in the EPG data. However, at the moment, all EPG data is stored in a common C++ object that only reflects the data available in the EIT EPG. The options for integrating the additional EPG data are pretty much as peteru has posted.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Mon Jun 01, 2015 09:45

Hi guys,
thanks for help and replies.
So, I am using IceTV EPG. I have NOT turned off the "Movie:" prefix in online IceTV Account settings. I actually kinda like it when it names my recordings.
There is a setting in the T3 menus to enter your own text to be ignored when searching IMDB, it was here that I added the "Movie:"
This did not produce different search results when I tried an IMDB search from the EPG display. I would only ever get "not found" (or similar)
Until last night, when I was looking at EPG screen, and the channel was on Butterfly Effect movie. For some strange reason, in the EPG display there was no Movie: text ?? weird I know. I tried a search of IMDB on this title and it returned about 20 or so hits. I randomly picked a likely result and it did bring up a pretty useless description, but at least it worked. Every other movie on tele last night included the Movie: text.

I am struggling with the T3, I will prevail, sheer determination will win! If I wasnt stubborn I might have given up.
Cheers, Mick

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:37

mick_queensland wrote: There is a setting in the T3 menus to enter your own text to be ignored when searching IMDB, it was here that I added the "Movie:"
This did not produce different search results when I tried an IMDB search from the EPG display. I would only ever get "not found" (or similar)
Well bugger me, I didn't even know what setting existed! Good one!

I entered "Movie:" (without the quotes) into the ignore field and now when I search for movie details from the EPG, I can see from the little message at the bottom of the screen when it is searching that the query is for "<moviename>" instead of "Movie: <moviename>". And it works!

What are you seeing when you try on a movie with a "Movie:" prefix now? Does the query correctly leave out the "Movie:" part?

Edit:
Just did a bit more testing. The ignore string is case sensitive, so make sure you are capitalising "Movie:" and include the colon.
I also added in a " ," (space and comma) at the end so that the query dropped the space between the colon and the movie title.

If you didn't already know, many text entry boxes on the T3 allow you to enter text using an on-screen keyboard rather than typing stuff out on the keypad. If you highlight the text field and press the "Text" button on the remote, then the on-screen keyboard will pop up. There are several text fields, in plugins mostly, where this doesn't work, but it works most of the time.
You can also plug in a USB keyboard if you are entering a LOT of text of course.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Tue Jun 02, 2015 09:58

Hi Quade,

yep, case sensitive, I figured that out as well. I have it working now, yaaayy.

I had several problems, due to my P2 croaking (I refurbished the Power Supply using Warkus info but in the end I had to send the PSU with some squirrelly fault to Warkus for repair, he is a God!) Anyway, I put a spare wizzer in place of the P2, and then I also added the T3 into the mix at the same time. After setting the T3 up and finding WAF was not going to change I moved it to another room and unfortunately, all these additions, moves and changes confused the hell out of my IceTV account settings. I had to delete one of my wizzers in the account and add it and all its timers again. Keep in mind I have 5 wizzers in my IceTV account! Now everything is working (glad this isnt too complicated)

One more thing I have noticed since it all started working properly, is that I am seeing some of the info I wanted on the EPG. I can see some (but not all) movies have some info about actors or directors and year. It seems to be the more recent movies have more info.

Anyway, in summary, now that I can see IMDB info, and there is some info on some movies, I am fairly happy. Obviously it could be better but its not bad.

Thanks for everyones help and comments
Cheers, Mick

MoDementia
Apprentice

Post by MoDementia » Fri Jun 26, 2015 17:41

Going around in circles here :(

reply from Ice TV
http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/beyo ... nwiz/4517/

I know the information is in the extract from ICE TV (I have seen it in WMC) assuming they do send the same data to every device as stated

I'm happy to code some middleware to convert what ICETV provide into something usable by T4/T3

All I need is a sample of what ICETV provide and what is required by beyonwiz and a little overview of what does what and we should be all happy.

This needs to be fixed, 10 years is way to long :(

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 18:53

The lack has not gone unnoticed and it has been discussed in the beta forum.

The underlying problem is that the container for EPG data in enigma2 (the main program that runs the T series) is essentially the EIT format. If data doesn't have an EIT tag it can't be put into the EPG. I think there is a way that Classification and Genre data could be taken from the IceTV data and put into the EIT event data, but I'm not in a position to do that, because I don't have a working build system for the C/C++ part of the code.

peteru may expand on this (but I understand he's a bit busy at the moment).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MoDementia
Apprentice

Post by MoDementia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 16:28

Is the Raw ICE TV xml saved anywhere?
I have written something to use the .ts.meta files to get the files renamed, just missing the movie release year now.
Hoping I can grab it from the raw xml as it doesn't seem to filter down to anywhere I can see.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 17:24

MoDementia wrote:Is the Raw ICE TV xml saved anywhere?
No, because the feed is JSON, not XML. ;) But the JSON isn't saved anywhere other than through the EPG cache code, either.
MoDementia wrote:I have written something to use the .ts.meta files to get the files renamed, just missing the movie release year now.
Are you changing the title in the .ts.meta file to add extra information? That will change the title on the info panel to the right of the Movie Player screen, but it won't change the name in the file list.
MoDementia wrote:Hoping I can grab it from the raw xml as it doesn't seem to filter down to anywhere I can see.
It doesn't filter down because there's nowhere to put it.

The relevant bits are the call of epgcache.importEvents() in Plugins.SystemPlugins.IceTV.plugin.EPGFetcher.doWork(). The implementation of epgcache.importEvents() is in lib/dvb/epgcache.{h,cpp}: eEPGCache::importEvents().

The implementation seems to have taken the lowest common denominator approach of only storing EPG data in EIT format. Even there, the eEPGCache::importEvents() interface doesn't allow you to pass through Classification or Genre information, even though the C++ code can handle that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MoDementia
Apprentice

Post by MoDementia » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:40

prl wrote: Are you changing the title in the .ts.meta file to add extra information? That will change the title on the info panel to the right of the Movie Player screen, but it won't change the name in the file list.
No I am just using the data inside the .ts.meta to move the .ts file over to my NAS, renamed appropriately and delete the rest of them

Only need the movie release year to make it 100% automatic (there is enough info available to look up TV/Movie DB for the rest)

What are the chances of getting the JSON written out before it's processed?

I will probably just download the guide separately and use that to look up the extra info in the short term.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:10

MoDementia wrote: ...I will probably just download the guide separately and use that to look up the extra info in the short term.
This will help.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 16:38

MoDementia wrote:...
What are the chances of getting the JSON written out before it's processed?
You can increase/decrease debug logging in IceTV with CH+/- in the IceTV main popup (MENU>Plugins>IceTV). At a high enough level, it dumps the full responses to all the IceTV requests into the debug log, if it's enabled, but only there. The updates to the EPG are normally incremental.

Of course, if you want to use EPG information to control where recordings are moved to, you have to do the move while the EPG still contains the information you want use to control the move.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MoDementia
Apprentice

Post by MoDementia » Sun Jul 05, 2015 02:59

Hi,

I coudn't get the logging to increase detail :(

So I went a little overboard, I now have an sqlite databse, importing the icetv guide using webget.

But I can now use any information I need from the guide to do what I needed (just the movie year for now) :( but a whole heap more if I want to later :)

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56

MoDementia wrote:...But I can now use any information I need from the guide to do what I needed (just the movie year for now) :( but a whole heap more if I want to later :)
Can you actually change the contents of the guide in the EPG that the Beyonwiz sees?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:22

Yes. It would be quite easy to, say, add the production date for a show to the show's Description or Extended Description in the EPG.

What's not easy is adding new fields to the T series EPG cache data if there is no corresponding field in the DVB-T EIT standard.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:46

prl wrote:Yes. It would be quite easy to, say, add the production date for a show to the show's Description or Extended Description in the EPG...
Great! Now, how would one go about this (the actual changing of the data, not the getting, as that part's easy)?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 05, 2015 14:36

Star6key wrote:
prl wrote:Yes. It would be quite easy to, say, add the production date for a show to the show's Description or Extended Description in the EPG...
Great! Now, how would one go about this (the actual changing of the data, not the getting, as that part's easy)?
You'd do it in the EPGFetcher.makeChanShowMap() method in lib/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/plugin.py in the beyonwiz/easy-ui-4 repository on Bitbucket. You'd also need to arrange to dump out the JSON feed data to have a look at what data you have available in the feed. See the discussion about that in my recent replies to MoDementia.

The reason it hasn't been done already (apart from time constraints) is that I don't think it's a good way to implement it. I rather suspect that peteru, who's essentially the repository gatekeeper would agree with that. You may want to have a look at what peteru wrote about IceTV metadata earlier in the topic.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 05, 2015 14:43

MoDementia wrote:Hi,

I coudn't get the [IceTV] logging to increase detail :( ...
Connect to the Open Webif on the T3/4 in your browser. In Extras>Settings>Log settings, tick Enable debug logs. You may also want to move the logs to /media/hdd and increase the log size limits.

Then restart (at least) the PVR GUI.

When it's back up and running, go to MENU>Plugins>IceTV, and press CH+ four times. Then press 2 for "Fetch EPG ..."

Then look at the end of the T3/4 debug log file (in directory /home/root/logs if you left it at the default setting, otherwise /media/hdd/logs if you changed it as I suggested).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MoDementia
Apprentice

Post by MoDementia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 05:50

Thanks,

Eventually got a detailed log to work with.

I found the webservice api urls used and was able to get the data directly most of the time.

I'm not sure if the key and token will change over time so it may not last for long
I will also get an error on some of the last_update_time I used pretty sure it is using unix time

and the data isn't as easy to manaipulate as the webget format so I haven't persued it any further yet.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:11

You should find your current IceTV authentication details in /etc/enigma2/settings.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49

Replying to OT request in U4 Timers.
Star6key wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20
Is it possible for you to add the Year & Actors in the description field for Icetv? (the year would also be great in the Title field for movies)
If I remember correctly (but it's been about 3 years), Icetv send this information in the epg but because it's not in the right format/field, we don't get to see it. Neither Icetv or the 'brains trust' here wanted to take ownership of this, and thus we have a half arsed epg.

If it's possible to do, I don't mind having a one off patch, or you can add the changes to this one. :D

As you say, that information is already sent to PVRs in the IceTV data, it's a question then of where to store it in the ETSI-specified EPG as used on the Beyonwiz T/U series PVRs.

If you really want that extra information in the EPG, then you might want to talk to the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) about it - they're the ones who have omitted to have specific locations for it in the EIT EPG. Alternatively, Standards Australia for an Australian extension to the EIT EPG to store it.

If there's no reasonable place to store the information in the EIT EPG format, then the question then becomes one of where the information that's in the IceTV EPG but not currently displayed in the EPG might get put:
  • part-of-series flag
  • credits - director and actor fields
  • date - production date
  • category (genre) - this has a place in the EIT EPG format, and I have part-written code to put it there and use it in the UI
  • language - language of audio track
  • country - country of origin
  • episode-num - series and episode numbers (available whether an episode has a specific name or just has Series: N Episode: M as its name)
  • video - video format, "16:9" or "4:3"
  • previously-shown - repeat flag (but that can already be flagged in the title at the IceTV end)
  • subtitles - whether the show has subtitles, and in which languages. Appears to only be present for foreign language films with on-screen captions, and doesn't mark whether the show has closed captions.
  • rating - film classification rating - this has a place in the EIT EPG format, and I have part-written code to put it there and use it in the UI
  • star-rating - user rating - this is either absent or empty in all the IceTV data dumps I have
  • icon - URL for, and size of, "movie poster" image for the show
So there's a lot of data there that people might want to see in the EPG, and, apart from the genre and classification ratings, few options for where to put it other than tagging it onto existing text fields. For short pieces of information like date, if they are only wanted on one-off items (either absence of part-of-series flag or perhaps titles starting with "Movie:"), they might be better going into the otherwise empty short event description field than into the title.

The short event description is also limited to at most 200 characters.

Suggestions about what other sections of the EIT EPG format where the information might be stored can also be considered (but I've already looked).

In Canberra, the only FTA broadcaster to make credits information available is SCA (carries Nine affilliates). They send that in the extended event description field, which is otherwise little used by other broadcasters. None of the other IceTV information is consistently available in the FTA. Some broadcasters sometimes flag the title of a show with "Encore" or some other euphemism for "repeat of a show we first broadcast recently". Sometimes other flagging in the title like "special".
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 13:18

Star6key wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20
Is it possible for you to add the Year & Actors in the description field for Icetv? (the year would also be great in the Title field for movies)
Assuming the date field is the year and movies have a title that starts with Movie: , I've appended the year to the title, otherwise to the description. The cast is appended to the description, as are the category/ies and rating (until they get added to the EIT).

Code: Select all

diff --git a/lib/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/plugin.py b/lib/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/plugin.py
index ffd9a8822..57bbbbb98 100644
--- a/lib/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/plugin.py
+++ b/lib/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/plugin.py
@@ -232,7 +232,28 @@ class EPGFetcher(object):
                 duration = stop - start
             title = show.get("title", "").encode("utf8")
             short = show.get("subtitle", "").encode("utf8")
-            extended = show.get("desc", "").encode("utf8")
+            extended = show.get("desc", "").encode("utf8").rstrip().replace("\r", "") + "\n"
+            year = show.get("date", "").encode("utf8")
+            if year and year != "0":
+                if title.startswith("Movie: "):
+                    title += " (%s)" % year
+                else:
+                    extended += "\nYear: " + year
+            try:
+                cast = ", ".join([actor["name"] for actor in show["credits"]["actors"]])
+                if cast:
+                    extended += "\nCast: " + cast.encode("utf8")
+            except:
+                pass
+            try:
+                category = "/".join([cat["name"] for cat in show["category"]])
+                if category:
+                    extended += "\nCategory: " + category.encode("utf8")
+            except:
+                pass
+            rating = show.get("rating", "").encode("utf8")
+            if rating:
+                extended += "\nRating: " + rating
             res[channel_id].append((start, duration, title, short, extended, 0, event_id))
         return res

Disclaimer: I don't have IceTV, so this is totally untested.
Attachments
icetv-desc.zip
(15.15 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by adoxa on Fri Apr 27, 2018 13:09, edited 3 times in total.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Tue Apr 24, 2018 14:49

8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0.jpg
Truly unbelievable. Adoxa, where the hell were you 3 years ago?! :lol:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 24, 2018 15:01

Pretty ugly justification in that screen, though (nothing to do with adoxa's patch).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Tue Apr 24, 2018 15:09

prl wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 15:01
Pretty ugly justification in that screen, though (nothing to do with adoxa's patch).
Yes, very ugly. I see that a fair few times, and for as long as I can remember.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 16:53

Star6key wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 14:49
Truly unbelievable. Adoxa, where the hell were you 3 years ago?! :lol:
Hacking my previous PVR. :)

Star6key wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 15:09
prl wrote:
It looks like it should be detecting newlines and using left alignment, but for some reason it's not. Is it just IceTV? I didn't notice any from a quick skim through the EPG. Are you able to retrieve the raw data? If not, I'll add logging to the patch. If it's happening with any current shows, maybe you could do a quick record and attach the .eit.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 24, 2018 17:26

adoxa wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 16:53
Star6key wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 15:09
prl wrote:
It looks like it should be detecting newlines and using left alignment, but for some reason it's not. Is it just IceTV? I didn't notice any from a quick skim through the EPG. Are you able to retrieve the raw data? If not, I'll add logging to the patch. If it's happening with any current shows, maybe you could do a quick record and attach the .eit.

I don't think it really has anything to do with IceTV or adoxa's patch, other than the fact that it adds a newline to text that usually doesn't have one, and only does it for text coming from IceTV.

It's a difference between the alignment option in the event view skin in OverlayHD and in the pre-installed skins. The pre-installed skin uses halign="left" (implicitly), which does line fill but leaves a ragged right edge on the text. OverlayHD uses halign="block" which does line fill and align-left-and-right (and appears to do a poor job of handling short last lines in a fill block (possibly when there's a newline, but it seems to be OK when there's no newline at the end of the text).

However, just looking at the code, it appears that it should left justify the last line of a block of text if it ends with a newline (or is the end of the text). I'm not sure why it appears not to.

IMO ragged right has better readability than left-and-right justification.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Apr 24, 2018 17:33

Hi,

The only way I have seen this kind of forced alignment is when the last line of the text does not appear to be the end of the text. I can't remember if the last line needs a newline or not.

EDIT: Prl has provided the answer. A newline at the end of the text buffer is causing the issue. This appears to be a possible bug in the C++ code.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 17:54

OverlayHD trims the description, so the buffer does not end with newline. However, that means I may need to trim the description myself before appending the extra data. Star6key, if you want to try without the justification, open up /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/skin_epgs.xml, go to line 49 and delete halign="block" .

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Tue Apr 24, 2018 18:26

adoxa wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 17:54
OverlayHD trims the description, so the buffer does not end with newline. However, that means I may need to trim the description myself before appending the extra data. Star6key, if you want to try without the justification, open up /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/skin_epgs.xml, go to line 49 and delete halign="block" .
That left line 49 as -

<widget source="Event" render="Label" position="0,55" size="1180,70" backgroundColor="InfoBackground" font="InfoDescriptionFont;20" foregroundColor="InfoDetailsNow" transparent="1">

Rebooted... no change.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 19:02

Oh, sorry. It's actually line 389 in skin_infobars.xml.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Tue Apr 24, 2018 19:24

adoxa wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 19:02
Oh, sorry. It's actually line 389 in skin_infobars.xml.
Yep, that did the trick. :) So, from the epg, pressing the info bar on the show now shows the correct justification.
However, I've just noticed that when you highlight the movie in the epg, the description that shows at the top, has the last line as -

crossing _________________________________________________________________________________ client.
(those underscores are actually spaces, as this forum doesn't print contiguous spaces)
Now this was before your changes, so I imagine it needs to be changed somewhere else as well.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 00:31

Okay, let's just zap 'em all. Run this in telnet or copy it to a script.

sed -i~ 's/halign="block" //' /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/*.xml

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47

I'll take a look at the text block alignment code and see if the problem can be identified and fixed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51

Star6key wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 19:24
crossing _________________________________________________________________________________ client.
(those underscores are actually spaces, as this forum doesn't print contiguous spaces)
Either
[code]crossing <spaces> client.[/code]
to get

crossing                                                                                    client.
or
crossing [color=#FFFFFF]_________________________________________________________________________________[/color] client.
to get:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09

adoxa wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 00:31
Okay, let's just zap 'em all. Run this in telnet or copy it to a script.

sed -i~ 's/halign="block" //' /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/*.xml
I created a script.

Execution progress:
sed: /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/*.xml: No such file or directory
Execution finished!!

Am I supposed to run this from a specific spot? (I've used root/media/hdd)

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12

prl wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51

Either
[code]crossing <spaces> client.[/code]
to get

crossing                                                                                    client.
or
crossing [color=#FFFFFF]_________________________________________________________________________________[/color] client.
to get:
Ahhh... ___________________________________________________________Thanks Prl. :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:56

It's strange - I can't reproduce that justification problem in OverlayHD 1.64, with or without adoxa's "date and cast" patch. I can't view the entry for Charlie's Angels now, because it's no longer in the EPG, but other movies display the last line correctly. U4 running 20180417.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 13:06

If you have a telnet client installed you can do it easily in 4 lines. Not in front of the PC now so for a T4 it's:

open beyonwizT4
Login: root
Password : xxxxxxx
sed -i~ ........

Close telnet.

Worked fine for me. Ragged right rather than blocked text so the last line is cleaner.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 13:28

Star6key wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09
I created a script.

Execution progress:
sed: /usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/*.xml: No such file or directory
Execution finished!!
At a guess you've used Windows/CRLF line endings, but the script needs to have Unix/LF line endings. CR isn't displayed, so you can't see it, but the message is actually ...*.xml^M:..., which is why the wildcard didn't expand (^M represents CR).

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 13:29

Just tried the U4 based on prl's post.

It was far less prone to the stretched last line than the T4 but it did appear for Insight on SBS and for several entries in the C31 guide.
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 14:17

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 13:29
Just tried the U4 based on prl's post.

It was far less prone to the stretched last line than the T4 but it did appear for Insight on SBS and for several entries in the C31 guide.

I can't think of any reason why it would be different between the same screens on the T4 and the U4, but I guess it's possible.

Using unpatched OverlayHD on the U4 without adoxa's year and cast IceTV patch, I can see a problem with justification with Insight: The Family Business (Viceland HD, Wed 28 Mar 12:00) in the EventView screen (INFO from EPG search for insight). It helps to know exactly which episode for series, because the text changes, and which screen is being viewed, because the display width differs between various different displays of the event descriptions. The problem isn't in the last line, though:
justification.jpg
I'll have a dig around and see if I can find out why that one's behaving oddly.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 15:16

I can't think of any reason why it would be different between the same screens on the T4 and the U4, but I guess it's possible.
Could just be a time of day effect. I was looking at the guides at different points of time. The T4 before I ran sed earlier today, the U4 later today.

[Edit:] I notice the text in your screenshot includes some of those annoying extraneous characters too.
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 16:22

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 15:16
[Edit:] I notice the text in your screenshot includes some of those annoying extraneous characters too.

That's an issue that needs a fix (or at least a firm decision not to fix) from the IceTV end. If they decide to go with the way encoding is done now, I can display the characters properly, but I'd rather that they changed it at their end to encode them the way I think they should.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 16:31

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 15:16
That's the UTF-8 sequence for U+FFFD, the replacement character; it's also present in the web guide. Presumably it's supposed to be U+2019, single right quote (a curly apostrophe).

Return to “Ice TV”