IceTV Timers still sometimes without titles

Discuss the IceTV EPG and Recording Apps here

Moderators: Gully, peteru

vader1111
Master

IceTV Timers still sometimes without titles

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 09:56

The problem of long range timers appearing without descriptions has been solved. This is a new, but possibly related, problem.

Occasionally I will see a recording which doesn't have an episode title attached. It happened to me last Thursday, with my recording of "Grimm", and I usually see it happen 1-2 times per week. This mostly seems to happen with Prime7 (Canberra), but I can't say with certainty that it doesn't happen with other networks.

What is really unusual is that the timer/recordings do have episode titles when I view them in IceTV, on the website or phone app. They appear, with titles, in "My Week", 7 days ahead of time. The timers appear on the T2 144 hours ahead of time, with the title missing. For some reason, what the T2 receives does not always match up completely with what I see in the IceTV TV Guide online.

The description field does contain a description of the episode, or at least a description of the series - it's just the episode title which is missing. It is not completely blank, as with the previous long range timers problem.

It is also worth noting that episode descriptions frequently change. Timers/recordings will often appear (7 days out) with a generic description of the series. This is subsequently updated (usually 5-6 days out) with a description specific to the actual episode. For this reason, I'm really looking forward to the next firmware update, which will (hopefully) check and update the description field every time the T2 does a fetch.

I will also post this on the IceTV forum, as I'm not sure whether it's a Beyonwiz issue or an IceTV issue.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

prl
Wizard God

Re: IceTV Timers still sometimes without titles

Post by prl » Thu May 18, 2017 11:54

Once an IceTV timer has had a short description/episode name attached to it, that description won't change. The description isn't part of the "set timer" (which also does "update timer") message from IceTV. The description is looked up from the EPG when the timer is created.

However, my timer from last week's Grimm had the correct episode name (Into the Schwarzwald), and so does this week's episode of Grimm (Silence of the Slams).

Anyway, all of the episode names/short descriptions for all my recordings from Prime Canberra's services seem to be correct.

It should be possible to check for changes in descriptions when an IceTV update is received. I had code that did that, but I can't find it any more :(
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:18

It doesn't happen to every show. It mostly seems to affect shows on Prime7, but even then it's only a minority of shows. It's got me flummoxed.

I'll check my T2 tonight, to see which (if any) future timers are missing the episode titles. I'll also check last night's recordings, to see if any of them are missing the titles.

It's really weird, because I can see the titles listed on the IceTV website before they go through to the T2. Yet when the show is recorded, there's no episode title in the description field.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu May 18, 2017 12:20

vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:18
It's really weird, because I can see the titles listed on the IceTV website before they go through to the T2. Yet when the show is recorded, there's no episode title in the description field.

The important thing is not whether the episode title's visible in the IceTV Web site, but what's in the PVR's EPG. That's what's looked up to give the timer a description.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 13:22

prl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:20
vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:18

The important thing is not whether the episode title's visible in the IceTV Web site, but what's in the PVR's EPG. That's what's looked up to give the timer a description.
Ideally they should be the same thing...

So.. if it populates the "Recording" information from the EPG, presumably when the timer starts, then the implication is that the EPG isn't being properly populated in my T2. I haven't noticed any issues with the EPG, but I don't look at it all that often, as my T2 spends most of it's life in standby mode (as per the previous discussion).

Any ideas why my T2's EPG would be missing the episode title information?
2x T2 19.3 20201114

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu May 18, 2017 14:06

Could just be another case of Ice sending out timers before they have properly populated their EPG again, much like the previous issue.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 18, 2017 15:50

I just checked the timers.xml file from my T2. It has two IceTV timers sans episode title (field description=""), and both were for 10-May.

For my T4, I have 3 future Ice timers sans the ep. title. The EPG events matching those timers, at least now, have the episode titles and descriptions.
It looks to me like they were possibly created just past the limit of the EPG content at the time -
Timer for event at 20/5 23:30, created 14/5 23:30
Timer for 23/5 21:30, created 17/5 21:37
Timer for 23/5 23:00, created 17/5 23:06

The timer of 20/5 23:30 is for V8 Supercars on Ten HD. The timer for the same event on ONE which will be shown earlier at 20:30 has the short description/episode title, and was created 3 hours earlier.
I think this shows that this is an IceTV issue.

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 16:10

How is this possible?

IceTV timers/reservations/recordings (whatever you wish to call them) show up in the IceTV EPG and "My Week" 7 days ahead of time. At this time they are populated with the episode titles. The episode descriptions often change, starting life as a generic series description, before being updated to an episode specific description. The episode titles remain the same.

The IceTV timers are sent to the T2 6 days ahead of time - or 144 hours ahead to be more precise....

OK.. I think I can see how this could be possible. Maybe. The descriptions are taken from the EPG, which is sent 7 days in advance. If the IceTV fetches the EPG information before it's fully populated, and never updates it, then this could cause the problem that Grumpy_Geoff and I are seeing.

The sequence of events would be....
  • IceTV partially updates their database, with incomplete program descriptions.
  • T2 fetches the EPG data, receiving the incomplete descriptions.
  • IceTV updates their database, adding episode titles
  • T2 fetches the timers (6 days ahead).
Is this how it works? Is this scenario plausible?
2x T2 19.3 20201114

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 16:31

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 15:50
I just checked the timers.xml file from my T2. It has two IceTV timers sans episode title (field description=""), and both were for 10-May.

For my T4, I have 3 future Ice timers sans the ep. title. The EPG events matching those timers, at least now, have the episode titles and descriptions.
It looks to me like they were possibly created just past the limit of the EPG content at the time -
Timer for event at 20/5 23:30, created 14/5 23:30
Timer for 23/5 21:30, created 17/5 21:37
Timer for 23/5 23:00, created 17/5 23:06

The timer of 20/5 23:30 is for V8 Supercars on Ten HD. The timer for the same event on ONE which will be shown earlier at 20:30 has the short description/episode title, and was created 3 hours earlier.
I think this shows that this is an IceTV issue.
Those timings look right - timers are sent 144 hours (6 days) before the show is scheduled to start. Your data shows the timers being set on the first fetch inside the 144 hour window.

I'm told that the descriptions (including episode titles) are extracted from the EPG information. The IceTV EPG extends for 7 days into the future. It should be well and truly populated by the time the timers are sent.

The question then is why our T2s contain EPG information which is incomplete - and still incomplete when the timer starts (144 hours after the timer was sent/fetched).

Why is the ONE "event" fully populated, but the Ten HD "event" is not? Both should have appeared in the EPG at midnight 13/5.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu May 18, 2017 16:32

prl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:54
Once an IceTV timer has had a short description/episode name attached to it, that description won't change. The description isn't part of the "set timer" (which also does "update timer") message from IceTV. The description is looked up from the EPG when the timer is created.
I think this is the cause of the problem. Every so often I see an episode in a series where the description field is clearly not updated - often the desciption is the same as the previous episode. Irritating, but I usually just ignore it.

But is this due to IceTV or the code? If the code could address it it would be nice to fix it - better still if IceTV sent the right description from the outset!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu May 18, 2017 17:08

vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 16:10
The sequence of events would be....
  • IceTV partially updates their database, with incomplete program descriptions.
  • T2 fetches the EPG data, receiving the incomplete descriptions.
  • IceTV updates their database, adding episode titles
  • T2 fetches the timers (6 days ahead).
Is this how it works? Is this scenario plausible?

It's correct as far as it goes, but it leaves quite a bit out.
  • If a timer is sent when there is no short description/episode name for the event in the PVR's EPG, and that is added later, the timer will only get updated if it is rebooted or the GUI is restarted subsequently. Depending on when that happens, it may need two restarts.
  • If the short description is available when the timer is sent, but the short description subsequently changes, that won't be picked up, even by restarts.
  • When the PVR requests an update from IceTV, it first processes EPG updates, then timer updates.
  • When the PVR restarts, the saved EPG cache is read, then the timers.xml file is read. When timers.xml is read, it updates any missing short descriptions from the EPG (but it doesn't check for changed descriptions). But that will be from the state of the EPG from before the restart. It then requests an update from IceTV, which will update the EPG. But if that fills in any short descriptions that were previously missing in the EPG, they won't be filled in in the timers. That will only happen if there is another restart.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu May 18, 2017 17:17

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 16:32
prl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:54
I think this is the cause of the problem. Every so often I see an episode in a series where the description field is clearly not updated - often the desciption is the same as the previous episode. Irritating, but I usually just ignore it.

But is this due to IceTV or the code? If the code could address it it would be nice to fix it - better still if IceTV sent the right description from the outset!

It's all code (and data). The distinction is where the code is ;) But I think the description updates can (and need to be) done on the Beyonwiz end.

I'm really annoyed with myself because I seem to have deleted the fix :(

Filling in descriptions where they are initially missing tends to "just happen" for me, because our in-use T4 is shut down when not in use, so it regularly goes through the "restart" process above.

I don't think that IceTV can, in general, always get the descriptions (or any of the rest of the EPG) "right first time", just because of the way they have to create the EPG. But even the published official EPG from the broadcasters isn't set in stone a week (or 144 hours) out.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu May 18, 2017 17:23

vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 13:22
prl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:20
Ideally they should be the same thing...

If you think about it a bit, you'll see that that's not possible to guarantee in general, even if the IceTV EPG server and the IceTV Web pages use exactly the same data (and I don't know whether they do or not), because the PVR only updates the EPG at regular intervals that aren't synchronised to updates on the server.

However, at the time an IceTV update is done, it should have an EPG state that's the same as the EPG server's when it processes the timers in that update. That may or may not be what's shown on the Web pages at that instant.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu May 18, 2017 17:27

vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 16:31
I'm told that the descriptions (including episode titles) are extracted from the EPG information. ...

You don't need to rely on what you're told. You can look at the source code ;)

Only the episode name/short description information is extracted that way from the EPG. The long description/program synopsis is not put into the timer.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 18, 2017 18:42

vader1111 wrote:
Those timings look right - timers are sent 144 hours (6 days) before the show is scheduled to start. Your data shows the timers being set on the first fetch inside the 144 hour window.

I'm told that the descriptions (including episode titles) are extracted from the EPG information. The IceTV EPG extends for 7 days into the future. It should be well and truly populated by the time the timers are sent.

The question then is why our T2s contain EPG information which is incomplete - and still incomplete when the timer starts (144 hours after the timer was sent/fetched).

Why is the ONE "event" fully populated, but the Ten HD "event" is not? Both should have appeared in the EPG at midnight 13/5.

I don't have EPG data 7 days into the future - I have today plus the next 6 days, ending Wednesday night. For some services, the EPG data ends earlier than the last actual program for the evening.
For ABC and SBS, the latest EPG data is at Wednesday 21:30.
For West Tv, it's 20:30
For 7flix, the last event shown ends at 23:15
For 9Gem, it ends at 23:00 and 9Life ends at 22:30

The last GUI restart/reboot for my T4 was on 15-May 09:21, so at that time it appears the EPG cache did not have a short description for Supercars on Ten HD.
The T4 had shut down and restarted twice prior to that time (and after the Ten HD Supercars timer creation) for timer recordings.

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 18:46

I've done a little bit more investigating...

Last night's episode of Blindspot has recorded without an episode title.
Tonight's episode of Grimm does not have an episode title.
Sunday night's episode of Training Day does not have an episode title.

These recordings have 2 things in common - they're both on Prime7, and they both start after 11pm. Other Prime7 recordings/timers are fine - Bates Motel and The Blacklist both start earlier, and both have episode titles.

All of these have episode titles in the T2's EPG.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 18:54

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 18:42
vader1111 wrote:

I don't have EPG data 7 days into the future - I have today plus the next 6 days, ending Wednesday night. For some services, the EPG data ends earlier than the last actual program for the evening.
For ABC and SBS, the latest EPG data is at Wednesday 21:30.
For West Tv, it's 20:30
For 7flix, the last event shown ends at 23:15
For 9Gem, it ends at 23:00 and 9Life ends at 22:30

The last GUI restart/reboot for my T4 was on 15-May 09:21, so at that time it appears the EPG cache did not have a short description for Supercars on Ten HD.
The T4 had shut down and restarted twice prior to that time (and after the Ten HD Supercars timer creation) for timer recordings.
IceTV does a rolling 144 hour window for the timers. The EPG covers a 7 day window (i.e. today + 6 days), but I think it's only sent/fetched at midnight . That means it's not a true 7 day window, it's 7 days less the time since midnight.

At least, it's supposed to be 7 days. The last event in your EPG should be the last show to start before midnight. In the case of 7flix, it's a movie starting at 11:15pm. For GEM, the last show on Wednesday night is "The Widower", which starts at 11pm and ends at midnight. 9Life should have a show at 23:30. Not sure what's going on with ABC, SBS and WestTV.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 18, 2017 19:24

vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 18:54
At least, it's supposed to be 7 days. The last event in your EPG should be the last show to start before midnight. In the case of 7flix, it's a movie starting at 11:15pm. For GEM, the last show on Wednesday night is "The Widower", which starts at 11pm and ends at midnight. 9Life should have a show at 23:30. Not sure what's going on with ABC, SBS and WestTV.

I just rebooted the T4 so it did an EPG fetch just after startup. I've now got data to the emd of Wed.
The recalcitrant timers have been updated too.

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Thu May 18, 2017 21:35

Rebooting works fine... but it's not much help when I'm going away for 3 weeks and won't be around to re-start the GUI.

The common connection here seems to be that all of the affected timers start after 11pm. Mine just happen to be on Prime7, but I think that's a coincidence. Yours is on Ten HD. Same problem.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu May 18, 2017 21:38

vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 21:35
Rebooting works fine... but it's not much help when I'm going away for 3 weeks and won't be around to re-start the GUI.
What is the problem if you are away though? Even though the timer won't have a description, the resulting recording will have all the information just fine once it is done.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 18, 2017 21:39

vader1111 wrote:

The common connection here seems to be that all of the affected timers start after 11pm. Mine just happen to be on Prime7, but I think that's a coincidence. Yours is on Ten HD. Same problem.

Create two Power Timers - as previously advised - viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11046&start=20#p150949

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 18, 2017 21:40

prl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 17:17
It's all code (and data). The distinction is where the code is ;) But I think the description updates can (and need to be) done on the Beyonwiz end.

Is this enough of a memory jogger?
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11046#p150904

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 08:56

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 21:40
prl wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 17:17

Is this enough of a memory jogger?
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11046#p150904

Thanks, but I'd already re-discovered that. What I lost was real tested working Python code :(

I may have time to get started on it today.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 09:38

MrQuade wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 21:38
vader1111 wrote:
What is the problem if you are away though? Even though the timer won't have a description, the resulting recording will have all the information just fine once it is done.
No.. the recording does NOT have the information - that's the problem here.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 09:40

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 21:39
vader1111 wrote:

Create two Power Timers - as previously advised - viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11046&start=20#p150949
What is the process for creating a Power Timer? The post you linked to provides advice about the settings I should use, but not about how to create the timer in the first place.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri May 19, 2017 09:56

vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 09:38
Oh ok, that's odd then. The previous problem we had was that the timers lacked info, but the recordings had all the info once done. You're saying this issue is different in that behaviour then? Hmm, sorry, I hadn't seen that one happen myself.

I had thought from previous conversations, that the recording did not inherit any info from the timer, but rather grabbed all the info from the data was live at the time of recording.

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10

MrQuade wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 09:56
vader1111 wrote:
Oh ok, that's odd then. The previous problem we had was that the timers lacked info, but the recordings had all the info once done. You're saying this issue is different in that behaviour then? Hmm, sorry, I hadn't seen that one happen myself.
The previous problem was mostly resolved when IceTV changed their servers, so that timers are only sent 6 days in advance. Previously it was not uncommon for ABC timers to appear 10-11 days ahead. These timers had no description information at all when they were sent to the T2.

The new problem is a bit different. It appears to only affect late night timers (i.e. timers starting between 11pm and midnight), and the recordings have partially completed description data.

In both cases, the episode titles are/were missing - from both the timers and the subsequent recordings.

The episode titles can be forced/populated by re-starting the GUI, but this really shouldn't be necessary. Setting a timer to re-start the GUI is fraught with danger, as it would disrupt any recordings happening at the time. I'm unlikely to have timers running at 3-4am, but stranger things have happened.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16

vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 09:40
What is the process for creating a Power Timer? The post you linked to provides advice about the settings I should use, but not about how to create the timer in the first place.

From live TV, press SLEEP (or the long way: MENU > Power > Power Timers).
GREEN/Add to create a new power timer.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri May 19, 2017 11:18

MrQuade wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 09:56
vader1111 wrote:

I had thought from previous conversations, that the recording did not inherit any info from the timer, but rather grabbed all the info from the data was live at the time of recording.

I'm sure the recording gets the description and short description (i.e. the .eit file contents) from the EPG at the timer prepare time (20 seconds before actual recording start).

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri May 19, 2017 11:24

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:18
I'm sure the recording gets the description and short description (i.e. the .eit file contents) from the EPG at the timer prepare time (20 seconds before actual recording start).
Now I am confused :(

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39

vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:10
The new problem is a bit different. It appears to only affect late night timers (i.e. timers starting between 11pm and midnight), and the recordings have partially completed description data.

I gave an example of it occurring at an earlier time: "Timer for 23/5 21:30, created 17/5 21:37"
That timer was for Foreign Correspondent (ABC), and I also showed the EPG data for ABC ended earlier than the commercial networks.
vader1111 wrote: In both cases, the episode titles are/were missing - from both the timers and the subsequent recordings.

I think the EPG didn't have the episode/short description at the time of the recording.
Possibly, this is because you are leaving your T2 in standby and it's never doing an EPG mega-fetch; just receiving the incremental updates every 15 mins (and therefore not back-filling).
I could be talking out of my arse here.
Normally, my T2 and T4 are in shutdown overnight and therefore fetch a complete EPG at startup.
vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:10
The episode titles can be forced/populated by re-starting the GUI, but this really shouldn't be necessary. Setting a timer to re-start the GUI is fraught with danger, as it would disrupt any recordings happening at the time. I'm unlikely to have timers running at 3-4am, but stranger things have happened.

I think there'll be a prompt if a recording is in progress (or about to start soon), so the restart wouldn't proceed.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 11:41

In recordings, the short and long descriptions (episode name and synopsis in IceTV) should be displayed from the recording's .eit file. The recording's .eit file is extracted from the EPG at the time the recording is started.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:43

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:16
vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 09:40

From live TV, press SLEEP (or the long way: MENU > Power > Power Timers).
GREEN/Add to create a new power timer.
Thanks. I'll give it a go tonight.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 11:45

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:39
I think the EPG didn't have the episode/short description at the time of the recording.
Possibly, this is because you are leaving your T2 in standby and it's never doing an EPG mega-fetch; just receiving the incremental updates every 15 mins (and therefore not back-filling).

I'm not sure what "back-filling" is meant here, but I'd have thought that some sort of "back-filling" is exactly what the incremental updates should be doing.

Hard to be sure without knowing exactly what was in the EPG when the recording started.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:49

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Normally, my T2 and T4 are in shutdown overnight and therefore fetch a complete EPG at startup.
Quite possible. My T2 spends most of its life in standby mode - often days at a time. Occasionally I will turn it on to watch ABC programs (no ads) live, or in chase play mode. Mostly it gets turned on to watch live sport. It is very rare for the device to be turned on from Mon-Thurs.

If being in standby affects the EPG fetch, then that could very well be the cause of my problems. If this is the case, then surely something should be done to ensure that the "mega-fetch" happens, and not just "incremental updates", while it's in standby mode?
2x T2 19.3 20201114

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 11:56

vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:49
... If this is the case ...

That's the key. As I asked in my earlier post, is the information in fact missing from the EPG when the recording starts? There's no point in adding extra load to the IceTV servers if there isn't an issue to fix.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:59

prl wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:45
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:

I'm not sure what "back-filling" is meant here, but I'd have thought that some sort of "back-filling" is exactly what the incremental updates should be doing.

Hard to be sure without knowing exactly what was in the EPG when the recording started.
Indeed this is the problem...

When I checked last night, I had one recording (Blindspot) and two timers which were missing the episode title data. It's impossible for me to go back in time though, to see what was in the EPG when Blindspot was being recorded.

I did, however, check the EPG for the future timers. Both Grimm and Training Day had episode titles in the EPG, but not in the timer.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:03

prl wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:56
vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:49
... If this is the case ...

That's the key. As I asked in my earlier post, is the information in fact missing from the EPG when the recording starts? There's no point in adding extra load to the IceTV servers if there isn't an issue to fix.
I don't know... and given that I did a GUI restart yesterday (which populated the episode titles), I won't be able to answer the question for at least another week.

What I do know is this:
When I checked last night, the timers for Grimm and Training Day did not have episode titles (until the GUI restart), while the EPG did contain that information.
IceTV "My Week" was showing episode titles for these shows long before the timers were sent to the T2.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 12:13

None of that answers the question.

If you still have the timers.xml entry for a recording with no episode name or synopsis, and you still have its recording files (even in Trash, you can do some reconstruction.

Is there a timer description in the timer's entry in the timer.xml file?

Is there an episode name in the recording's .meta file? (Third line)

Is there an episode name and synopsis in the recording's .eit file? (Use the command "strings recordingname.meta", the .eit file is binary)

The questions all need to be answered using the PVR's command-line interface.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:41

prl wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:13
None of that answers the question.

If you still have the timers.xml entry for a recording with no episode name or synopsis, and you still have its recording files (even in Trash, you can do some reconstruction.

Is there a timer description in the timer's entry in the timer.xml file?

Is there an episode name in the recording's .meta file? (Third line)

Is there an episode name and synopsis in the recording's .eit file? (Use the command "strings recordingname.meta", the .eit file is binary)

The questions all need to be answered using the PVR's command-line interface.
Not sure if they're still in the timers.xml file. My T2 is set to cleanup finished timers after 24 hours, and Blindspot was recorded on Wednesday night.

I do still have the other files, albeit in the Trash. I'll have a look at them tonight.

How do I access the PVR's command-line interface? Would it be easier for me to copy them across to my PC, and view them there? Where do I find the timers.xml file, in the filesystem?
2x T2 19.3 20201114

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 12:49

vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:41
How do I access the PVR's command-line interface? Would it be easier for me to copy them across to my PC, and view them there? Where do I find the timers.xml file, in the filesystem?

You connect to the PVR's commandline interface by using a telnet or ssh client on your PC. It may be easier for you to copy the files, the interesting ones are relatively small, but I don't think Windows has an equivalent to the Unix "strings" program to easily view the strings in the .eit file.

timers.xml is in /etc/enigma2.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:54

Thanks. Will give them a go tonight, along with setting up some Power Timers, to restart the GUI on a daily basis (between 3-4AM).
2x T2 19.3 20201114

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri May 19, 2017 14:09

vader1111 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 18:54
IceTV does a rolling 144 hour window for the timers. The EPG covers a 7 day window (i.e. today + 6 days), but I think it's only sent/fetched at midnight . That means it's not a true 7 day window, it's 7 days less the time since midnight.

These are the counts of EPG events my T4 has received since reboot -
18/5
16:58 - reboot
16:58 - 6006 events
22:13 - 625 events
19/5 (left in standby overnight)
05:13 - 2 events
05:28 - 3 events
05:43 - 23 events
05:58 - 28 events
06:13 - 4 events
06:28 - 3 events
06:43 - 43 events
06:58 - 28 events
07:13 - 53 events
07:28 - 2 events
08:58 - 216 events

IceTV sends data 26 services to my T4. The update at 22:13 of 600-odd events is what I believe extended my EPG an additional day. The earliest event received in that update was for 24-May 22:00-22:25, and the latest was for 25-May 21:50-22:15

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 14:19

The main daily update of changes to the IceTV EPG happens at around 14:00 EST, but updates can happen any time. I'm not sure when the next day's data update is made available.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 18:05

Refresh my memory.. what are the username & password for accessing the T2's root folder (to access the timers file)?
2x T2 19.3 20201114

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 18:07

I have re-coded the function that uses EPG updates to update timer descriptions if they are missing or have changed, and installed the patch on our in-use T4. I'll run it for a few days and then make it available as a patch for others to check.

This should ensure that timer descriptions match the descriptions in the PVR's EPG.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2017 18:11

vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 18:05
Refresh my memory.. what are the username & password for accessing the T2's root folder (to access the timers file)?

Assuming you want to mount the root folder as a windows share: Access to Root folder

If you want FTP access (say, with FileZilla), then username "root" and an empty (or any) password.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 18:12

prl wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 18:07
I have re-coded the function that uses EPG updates to update timer descriptions if they are missing or have changed, and installed the patch on our in-use T4. I'll run it for a few days and then make it available as a patch for others to check.

This should ensure that timer descriptions match the descriptions in the PVR's EPG.
Excellent. Many thanks!!! :D :D :D
2x T2 19.3 20201114

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri May 19, 2017 18:23

vader1111 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 18:05

You can also look at the timer file via your browser - ftp://root:zilch@beyonwizt2/etc/enigma2/

Return to “Ice TV”