Discrete on/off IR commands

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: Discrete on/off IR commands

Post by prl » Fri Sep 09, 2016 20:11

That doesn't really save me any time, while giving less information. For example, it doesn't help reveal that the T3 device's codes ate an indepebdent set from the T2/4 ones, and so all 5 code sets for the T3 need to be checked, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Sep 09, 2016 20:42

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.

For now, just stand by until I can verify they have the MyHarmony side sorted out.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 14, 2016 01:16

Got the latest update from Logitech. That was a frustrating exercise.

Some random sampling found some keys had been fixed, and others had not. I really don't get how they can go wrong with PeterU's comprehensive code list from page 16.

I ended up sitting down and testing every key for all 15 remote sets. That took some doing :(

The T3 remote is ALMOST correct, but had 2 errors in the 0x02f4 code set.

The T2 and T4 were wrong all over the shop, but the errors were identical in both devices. (errors in the 0x02f2, and 0x02f3 sets, 0xabcd and 0x02f4 were perfect, and 0xae97 was missing altogether).

I did discover that while the MyHarmony desktop app only allows you to change device version by training with a remote, the tablet app allows you to select which device version you want from a list (like the legacy desktop app). Device versions were just labelled "Version 1", "Version 2", etc....

Send the reply back with a comprehensive list of errors for them to fix. Fingers crossed.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 17, 2016 14:30

Cool! I got my latest reply from Logitech last night. They appear to have fixed up all of the code sets now.
All 5 sets for each of the T2, T3, and T4 devices are now functioning.

I did have some trouble setting the 0xae97 codes....they may be somewhat wiggy, and may not take the first time for some reason, but I do have them working now. I figure that remote is rare enough, that it is not going to matter anyway ;).

The one last thing I have asked of them is to possibly rename POWER2 to be "Power Deep Standby", or if that is too long (the Harmony command on-screen text field is pretty small), then "Power Off" would be an acceptible alternative.

Either that, the device should now be safe to add to your account, and all codes are now available :)

I'll update the Howto when I know the outcome of the POWER2 request. And I may enumerate the "Device Versions" that appear in the mobile app as well.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Sep 17, 2016 14:42

MrQuade wrote:I did have some trouble setting the 0xae97 codes...
I figure that remote is rare enough, that it is not going to matter anyway
Why would that make any difference?

I thought the whole idea is to have as many working alternative code sets as possible, so that if you have a house with Beyonwizes all over the place, you can have a unique set for each one. Surely you don't need to have access to an 0xae97 remote in order to send those codes, do you?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 17, 2016 15:52

peteru wrote: Why would that make any difference?

I thought the whole idea is to have as many working alternative code sets as possible, so that if you have a house with Beyonwizes all over the place, you can have a unique set for each one. Surely you don't need to have access to an 0xae97 remote in order to send those codes, do you?
True enough, I don't have my brain screwed in on a Saturday it seems. Regardless, they do work, but I have no idea why they would be more problematic than the others......could have just been PEBKAC, though it happened on more than one occasion.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 17, 2016 16:02

One of the ways of setting the code set to use is for the Harmony remote to read a code like POWER or OK from the original remote. That's obviously unavailable if you don't have an original remote.

The alternative is to choose the code set from a list in the setup program, but that list doesn't have any clear relationship to the code set's vendor code that we're familiar with. Those Harmony names need to be mapped to the vendor codes for each of the two Harmony setup systems (they use different naming between the old and the new setup systems!), and potentially also for each T series device in the Harmony database.

For a reasonably user-friendly remote, the setup programs sometimes seem little short of diabolical.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 17, 2016 16:06

prl wrote:One of the ways of setting the code set to use is for the Harmony remote to read a code like POWER or OK from the original remote. That's obviously unavailable if you don't have an original remote.
That's the way I am doing it at the moment, but I have taught my Pronto the appropriate codes to send to the Harmony. Not something I might expect a regular user to be able to achieve.
prl wrote: The alternative is to choose the code set from a list in the setup program, but that list doesn't have any clear relationship to the code set's vendor code that we're familiar with. Those Harmony names need to be mapped to the vendor codes for each of the two Harmony setup systems (they use different naming between the old and the new setup systems!), and potentially also for each T series device in the Harmony database.

For a reasonably user-friendly remote, the setup programs sometimes seem little short of diabolical.
Agreed.
I'm also at a loss as to why the new desktop app does not support the second "manual" mode for selecting code sets. I am forced to resort to the mobile app to do this.

Complaints aside, I really would not part with the Harmony.....the benefits outweigh the frustrations. I'm just not sure how your average non-technical user copes.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 17:37

MrQuade wrote: Agreed.
I'm also at a loss as to why the new desktop app does not support the second "manual" mode for selecting code sets. I am forced to resort to the mobile app to do this.

Complaints aside, I really would not part with the Harmony.....the benefits outweigh the frustrations. I'm just not sure how your average non-technical user copes.
So, to use the alternative code sets I have to use the mobile app (which I didn't know existed til now!).

All I think I want to change on my harmony 650 is to add the power off command. Have to agree that the desktop setup can be diabolical but generally works at the sixth or seventh attempt. Hope the app is easier to use.

Thanks MrQuade for the hard work.
Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 17, 2016 18:08

Paul_oz53 wrote: So, to use the alternative code sets I have to use the mobile app (which I didn't know existed til now!).
If you use the desktop app, you can access alternative code sets if you use the original remote to "teach" the Harmony. You only need to teach it using one or two button presses, you don't need to teach every key.

For those who can us the older desktop app, they also have the option to select the alternate code set from a list. However, as prl mentioned, the sets aren't labelled in any sensible way, so you have to guess which set you are selecting.....not ideal.

If you has a Hub-based remote such as mine (and I think the 650 remotes like yours among others), the mobile app is the only way to manually select another code set.
Paul_oz53 wrote: All I think I want to change on my harmony 650 is to add the power off command. Have to agree that the desktop setup can be diabolical but generally works at the sixth or seventh attempt. Hope the app is easier to use.
The new power (off/standby and wake) codes are accessible without any mucking around, assuming you are using the default code set. You just need to delete and re-add the T2/3/4 to you Harmony account for the new codes to automatically appear.
Paul_oz53 wrote:Thanks MrQuade for the hard work.
Thanks :). I just wish it hadn't taken so many iterations to get right!
Last edited by MrQuade on Sat Sep 17, 2016 21:48, edited 2 times in total.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Sep 17, 2016 19:27

Thanks as well MrQuade for persisting with it.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:49

MrQuade wrote:...
For those who can us the older desktop app, they also have the option to select the alternate code set from a list. However, as prl mentioned, the sets aren't labelled in any sensible way, so you have to guess which set you are selecting.....not ideal.
How that it appears to be stable, I'll go back to it sometime in the next few days and make a list :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 20, 2016 09:21

The POWER2 command is now called "PowerDeepStandby" and matches the other power commands.

I think that is now done barring any commands I may have inadvertently missed.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:15

MrQuade wrote:The POWER2 command is now called "PowerDeepStandby" ...
:D
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Sep 22, 2016 09:45

Paul_oz53 wrote: So, to use the alternative code sets I have to use the mobile app (which I didn't know existed til now!).

All I think I want to change on my harmony 650 is to add the power off command. Have to agree that the desktop setup can be diabolical but generally works at the sixth or seventh attempt. Hope the app is easier to use.
I've had a chance to test the manual code selection method using the mobile app. It doesn't work :(.

Attempting to change the code set by directly selecting "Version 1”, "Version 2"etc. using the mobile app just results in the remote not sending any commands at all for that device. You have to train the Harmony with a physical remote to get it back working again.

That issue is unrelated, but I'll take it up with Logitech regardless.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:20

MrQuade wrote:... Attempting to change the code set by directly selecting "Version 1”, "Version 2"etc. using the mobile app just results in the remote not sending any commands at all for that device. ...
:shock: :roll:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:16

prl wrote:
MrQuade wrote:... Attempting to change the code set by directly selecting "Version 1”, "Version 2"etc. using the mobile app just results in the remote not sending any commands at all for that device. ...
:shock: :roll:
+1
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:44

It seems the manual code selection feature of the tablet app works for some devices, but after pushing Logitech a little, they tested the T2 and found the feature was indeed broken for that device for some reason.

They are looking into it, and while I had their ear I also put in a feature request to have the manual selection method added to the desktop app as well. We'll see what happens from here :).

rfmoore
Apprentice

Post by rfmoore » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:49

Any more news on logitech's update to their data base for their harmony remotes.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:54

rfmoore wrote:Any more news on logitech's update to their data base for their harmony remotes.
The database is all done and working for all T series models and all remote types.

What you can't currently do is switch to a different remote code without having the original remote to learn from (only have to teach it a couple of codes POWER, 1, and CH+ at most).

I have a still-outstanding feature request to fix their functionality for manually selecting a code set from a list when using the harmony mobile application. Also, to add that same feature to the "MyHarmony" desktop application. The old application may allow you to manually select a code set from a list, but I don't have a working old-style Harmony any more.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 17, 2016 13:13

MrQuade wrote:...
What you can't currently do is switch to a different remote code without having the original remote to learn from (only have to teach it a couple of codes POWER, 1, and CH+ at most).
I don't think that's the case for older remotes that use the Java "Logitech Harmony Remote Software," but I haven't yet gone back to it to enumerate the Logitech labels for the remotes and match them to the actual remote code sets.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Developers Community”