FileCommander.Inputmod & InputBoxmod

Moderators: Gully, peteru

adoxa
Wizard

Re: FileCommander.Inputmod & InputBoxmod

Post by adoxa » Sun Aug 26, 2018 18:14

prl wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 17:51
I'm not sure why it doesn't show status details for the parent.
It can descend, but its index is 0, so pathname is not set, so an exception is raised, which is caught, returning an empty tuple.

I guess you could always make the first entry <This Directory>.
No, I don't like that idea. It still wouldn't help, anyway. E.g. if the current directory is /home/root/ and logs is selected, then the header shows /home/root/logs/. That's fine within the pane, but not so much when you switch to the other pane. Well, that might be a bad example, since you can still infer /home/root. However, if the parent is selected, you'd just get /home/, with no indication of the current directory.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 18:51

adoxa wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 18:14
prl wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 17:51
I'm not sure why it doesn't show status details for the parent.
It can descend, but its index is 0, so pathname is not set, so an exception is raised, which is caught, returning an empty tuple.

That's not the "why" I was asking about. It was more about why there seems to have been a choice to not display the status of the parent directory.

Also, statInfo() should not return pname in that part of the code. That's a copy/paste error by me. It should probably return an empty list or tuple and whatever it was supposed to achieve should be done in FileCommander.plugin.updateHead().
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 17:09

adoxa wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 21:43
Any objections if I change 5 from "Default Folder" to "Location..."?
Submitted.

I've called it "Go to bookmarked folder". The default list (and order) is: the default path (if set); /home/root/; /etc/enigma2/; /usr/share/enigma2/; the default movie path; and "Storage devices" (rather than individual mounts). I've made the menu two lines bigger to fit two new entries: add/remove selected & current folder. It might be better to make the menu smaller, moving the colours and uninstall items to a second page. There was also a bug with the menu, in that the list was wider than the screen, preventing the scroll bar from showing; should this not be accepted a separate fix for that should be made.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Sep 01, 2018 13:32

I don't like the idea of pre-populating the bookmark list with "system" directories. In particular, /etc/enigma2 or /usr/share/enigma2 should not be in the default list. Power users can easily add those directories if they really need to visit them frequently, but it's not a wise idea to "suggest" these locations to a typical user.

I can see how a user not familiar with the UNIX dir tree conventions could easily mistake the /usr/share path as some kind of special directory used for sharing files and copy recordings there, thus filling up the flash and making the box unusable.

I've removed those dirs from the default list.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50

adoxa wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 17:21
There's a flaw in the header, in that it shows the current subdirectory (or parent directory), not the directory of the pane.
I changed it so the header always displays the current directory. With "Parent Directory" and "List of Storage Devices" there's no info. Selected directories also remove the trailing slash (thus "/path/dir" is "dir" selected in "/path/", whereas "/path/dir/" has its parent selected). I've also titled the storage devices. Any objections?

This is the new code for each updateHead:

Code: Select all

filename = self[side].getFilename()
				if self[side].canDescent():
					filename = filename and filename[len(dir):-1] or ""
				self[side + "_head1"].text = dir + filename
				self[side + "_head2"].updateList(self.statInfo(self[side]))
			else:
				self[side + "_head1"].text = _("Storage devices")

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 13:36

So for normal entries the header shows the name of the directory in focus, but when <Parent Directory> is in focus, it shows the name of the current directory, not of the parent directory?

When <List of Storage Devices> is in focus (i.e. when the current directory is "/"), it shows "/" (which is both the current and parent directory).

And when the List of Storage Devices has been chosen, it displays "Storage Devices", no matter what is in focus?

I'm not sure that that's any less confusing than the display in the distributed firmware.

Wouldn't it be more consistent to show the file status for the file/directory named in the header, no matter what it is, and for the display of the List of Storage Devices to show the filename of the device file in focus (and its file status).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Sep 04, 2018 13:46

Hi,

I am very busy testing and merging the new VirtualKeyBoard and NumericalTextInput into other Enigma2 images at the moment so I can't test this code personally.

That said, simply by reading the posts here I am getting confused about the purpose of these changes. What is the benefit to the users? So far the changes appear to be adding confusion rather than improvement.

Can the changes please be restated clearly and succinctly, with some examples, so we can get clarity of what is intended.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 14:01

My understanding is that adoxa would like to see the path name for the current directory in all displayed path names in the File Commander file list headers. That's the case for all entries in a "normal" directory listing in File Commander, except for the Parent Directory entry, which currently shows the path name of the current directory's parent directory (funnily enough).

Since it's the Parent Directory entry that is in focus when you first enter a directory in the File Commander, the first thing you see in the list header is the name of the current directory's parent directory. It's that, I think that adoxa dislikes, and I can see his point.

However, I don't think his proposed solution is a good one. The current path display when Parent Directory entry is in focus is entirely consistent, though perhaps confusing.

One alternative would be to split the path entry so that the current directory path is shown in one widget and the in-focus name is shown in another.

So for a normal directory /current/directory/adirectory the header display might be:
/current/directory
adirectory
and when Parent Directory is in focus in the same current directory, you might have either:
/current/directory
or
/current/directory
<Parent Directory>
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 16:11

prl wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 14:01
Since it's the Parent Directory entry that is in focus when you first enter a directory in the File Commander, the first thing you see in the list header is the name of the current directory's parent directory. It's that, I think that adoxa dislikes, and I can see his point.
That's right. I save the right side, which is usually /home/root/logs/, but upon starting it displays /home/root/, which is misleading. Same when you select a directory in one pane, then switch to the other - it looks like the selected directory is current (but that's not as much of a problem, since you should be aware of what you're doing).
One alternative would be to split the path entry so that the current directory path is shown in one widget and the in-focus name is shown in another.
I did that initially (dir + "\n" + filename), but restored the single name to keep the longer display. I'm ambivalent, though, as names usually aren't that long (and info can show longer names). Could possibly do both - if the name is longer than the width use a single name, otherwise split it (but that's a bit of extra code for little benefit). It really would need a third header widget, though, as "\n" wouldn't work with a long path.
and when Parent Directory is in focus in the same current directory, you might have either:
/current/directory
or
/current/directory
<Parent Directory>
That would work with the split header, but not with a single name (well, I guess "/current/directory/.." would work, but not exactly pretty). Should probably use "<Parent Directory>" (and "<List of Storage Devices>") to match the selection.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 17:07

adoxa wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 16:11
That would work with the split header, but not with a single name (well, I guess "/current/directory/.." would work, but not exactly pretty).

I was just about to suggest exactly that. I think it's the cleanest and most consistent answer to the problem.
adoxa wrote:
Should probably use "<Parent Directory>" (and "<List of Storage Devices>") to match the selection.

I disagree, I think that the path name for the current focus should always be displayed as the pathname in the header. That includes displaying things like /mnt/hdd for entries in the <List of Storage Devices>.

The <List of Storage Devices> has a slight whiff of DOS device letters to me.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 17:36

prl wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 17:07
adoxa wrote:
That would work with the split header, but not with a single name (well, I guess "/current/directory/.." would work, but not exactly pretty).
I was just about to suggest exactly that. I think it's the cleanest and most consistent answer to the problem.
How would "<List of Storage Devices>" be displayed? It's not ".." nor "/" (and ending with "//" isn't a good idea in any event) and anything else goes back to the original problem of hiding the current directory.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:06

adoxa wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 17:36
prl wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 17:07
adoxa wrote:
How would "<List of Storage Devices>" be displayed? It's not ".." nor "/" (and ending with "//" isn't a good idea in any event) and anything else goes back to the original problem of hiding the current directory.

I already said: the path name in the header for the "<List of Storage Devices>" file list should show the path name of the mount point currently in focus: /, /media/hdd, /media/usb, /media/automount/MyNAS, and so on. They are, after all, what those list entries represent. The file status header should show the info for the directory path being displayed.

"//" is a perfectly legal Unix path. It means the same thing as "/./." (since the empty path segment name is interpreted as "."), and that, in turn, means the same as "/". That's not to say that it is a sensible name to use ;)

root@beyonwizu4:/media/hdd/logs# ls / //
/:
bin       etc       lib       picon     run       sys       var
boot      hdd       media     piconlcd  sbin      tmp
dev       home      mnt       proc      share     usr

//:
bin       etc       lib       picon     run       sys       var
boot      hdd       media     piconlcd  sbin      tmp
dev       home      mnt       proc      share     usr
root@beyonwizu4:/media/hdd/logs#
("/.." also means the same as "/", since uniquely, the '..' entry in the root points to the same inode as '.' in the root directory, which is, of course the root directory, inode 2).

"<List of Storage Devices>" doesn't actually represent any real filesystem object, and the items listed in it don't share a common parent directory. It's a figment of enigma2's imagination and looks to me like a list of fancy names for DOS device letters. It's also bizarre that in the File Commander's view of the universe, the list is accessed as though it's the parent of the root directory, when in fact everything in it represents objects at or under the root directory.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:14

prl wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:06
I already said: the path name in the header for the "<List of Storage Devices>" file list [...]
I mean when it's used in lieu of "<Parent Directory>".

"<List of Storage Devices>" [...] looks to me like a list of fancy names for DOS device letters.
No, it's fancy names for *nix mount points. :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:32

adoxa wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:14
prl wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:06
I already said: the path name in the header for the "<List of Storage Devices>" file list [...]
I mean when it's used in lieu of "<Parent Directory>".

Sorry, my misunderstanding. It should probably be just "<List of Storage Devices>" with an empty file status area, since it doesn't correspond to any file system object.
adoxa wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:14
"<List of Storage Devices>" [...] looks to me like a list of fancy names for DOS device letters.
No, it's fancy names for *nix mount points. :)

*nix systems should simply be politely hiding the details of where mount points are to the greatest extent possible.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 20:46

prl wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:32
Sorry, my misunderstanding. It should probably be just "<List of Storage Devices>" with an empty file status area, since it doesn't correspond to any file system object.
And we're back where we started, with no indication of the current directory. I think the only solution is the three-line header: current directory, selection, stats of the selection (if applicable; I agree with the current implementation in that the parent should not have stats, as I see it as more of an abstract rather than specific directory). If you don't agree maybe this is another one I'll keep to myself...

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Sep 04, 2018 21:14

Hi Adoxa,

If you can't see a clean solution then perhaps you should hold off until a better alternative makes itself known.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 21:32

For me, the clean solution is the three-line header. You'd lose the extra display of having the full name across two lines, but you'd always know what the current directory is. The question is: do others agree? If not, I'll keep it for myself. If so, would it be okay to move head2 to head3 or should I preserve it and make the new one head3? (For myself I'd keep it simple and just risk a newline in head1.)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Sep 04, 2018 22:04

Hi Adoxa,

Are you suggesting that the file path always be split onto two line, one for the path component and the other for the filename component?

This could work except that a long path or a long filename will result in on screen data loss. At the moment the single entry can now be shared between the two available lines. I think I would prefer to leave things as they are now.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:12

I've decided to keep the headers as I posted; I won't submit.

Here's something else that probably won't interest many (or any), but still warrants a mention. I sometimes want to take a peek at the .eit file. Rather than writing a viewer for it, I do a hex dump if there's a zero in the first 4096 bytes (which is also all that's dumped).
hexdump.png
hexdump.png (64.11 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
You'll notice it's not lined up - turns out that 0 is a little smaller than the rest. (For the standard tuxtxt, it appears OverlayHD has a different version with a dotted zero, but I don't like that. I don't care enough to try tuxtxt_nonbold, which should work, or andale, but that also has a dotted zero).
Last edited by adoxa on Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:16

I am having XTree flashbacks!
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:20

adoxa wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:12
Here's something else that probably won't interest many (or any), but still warrants a mention. I sometimes want to take a peek at the .eit file. Rather than writing a viewer for it, I do a hex dump if there's a zero in the first 4096 bytes (which is also all that's dumped).

I think that it would be useful to have, though when I want to look at a .eit file, I use the strings command. It's strange that 0 has a non-standard width in what's supposed to be a fixed-width font.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:58

prl wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:20
I think that it would be useful to have, though when I want to look at a .eit file, I use the strings command.
I generally want to see the raw bytes, to see the encoding. But there's another option, run strings on a file. A detected binary file could run strings and long TEXT could dump binary, or vice versa. Nah, not worth it.
It's strange that 0 has a non-standard width in what's supposed to be a fixed-width font.
It's even stranger that it hasn't apparently been fixed (the font was released in 2003).

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Sep 06, 2018 18:02

Hi Adoxa,

Have you tried out the new DejaVu fonts? They are now in OpenPLi, OpenViX and OverlayHD 1.66 and later.

Regards,
Ian.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 18:51

Since they're not available for people who haven't installed OverlayHD, they're not really an option (plus they have the dotted zero I don't like).

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Sep 06, 2018 20:03

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 18:51
Since they're not available for people who haven't installed OverlayHD, they're not really an option (plus they have the dotted zero I don't like).
The dot aside these fonts are now standard in OpenPLi and OpenViX. If Beyonwiz was keeping up then they would be standard here as well.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:56

adoxa wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 17:12
You'll notice it's not lined up - turns out that 0 is a little smaller than the rest. (For the standard tuxtxt, it appears OverlayHD has a different version with a dotted zero, but I don't like that. I don't care enough to try tuxtxt_nonbold, which should work, or andale, but that also has a dotted zero).

Here's a more obvious example of the problem:
1_0_1_211_211_1010_EEEE0000_0_0_0_20180908105439.jpg
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Sep 11, 2018 13:50

Crash in File Commander - run 'file' command.
Crash occured whilst doing a silly thing - '6' (file command) on selection '<List of Storage Devices>'

{732}<  2488.800> KEY: 7 make KEY_6 ('6',)
{732}<  2488.800> [ActionMap] NumberActions 6
{732}<  2488.801> Traceback (most recent call last):
{732}<  2488.801>   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 51, in action
{732}<  2488.801>   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/FileCommander/addons/key_actions.py", line 288, in run_file
{732}<  2488.801>   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/FileCommander/addons/key_actions.py", line 307, in run_prog
{732}<  2488.801> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startswith'
{732}<  2488.802> [ePyObject] (CallObject(<bound method HelpableActionMap.action of <Components.ActionMap.HelpableActionMap instance at 0xae92e990>>,('NumberActions', '6')) failed)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 16:22

It's an instance of a problem common to several commands:
"3": "File/directory status information"
"4": "Change execute permissions (755/644)"
"6": "Run 'file' command"
"7": "Run 'ffprobe' command"
"9": "Calculate file checksums"

All due to not handling a None value for the filename in focus, which is what's returned for '<List of Storage Devices>'. :roll:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 16:32

Peter
T4 HDMI