OpenViX build for Beyonwiz

Moderators: Gully, peteru

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: OpenViX build for Beyonwiz

Post by peteru » Mon May 08, 2017 03:57

prl wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 17:49
OK, so now I've got this far, how do I use build-enviroment to let me modify the C++ source and compile enigma2?

I've found sources/git2_github.com.OpenViX.enigma2.git.tar.gz, but I don't know what to do with it.
The top level directory should have a copy of the Yocto Project Reference Manual in PDF format. I actually prefer to use the online mega manual. Not only is it more up to date, but the formatting is more usable. Not everything in the manual applies to the OE-A build environment.

Basically, you want to source the environment file from your distro build directory, then use bitbake to get a devshell in the enigma2 working directory. There are a few ways of managing your source. You could use the external source method, you could change ENIGMA2_URI to point at your git repo, or you could work directly in the workdir git repo. Be aware that by default the build process will use rm_work, which will blow away your changes in the workdir if you kick of the normal bitbake process. You probably don't have enough disk space to work without rm_work, so you need to learn how to work with OpenEmbedded. The section on development models and workflow will probably help. A relatively recent addition is devtool, which may be helpful. Mind you I never used devtool for enigma2 work, so can't give you step-by-step instructions.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Huevos
Apprentice

Post by Huevos » Mon May 08, 2017 21:20

prl wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 17:49
OK, so now I've got this far, how do I use build-enviroment to let me modify the C++ source and compile enigma2?
Hopefully this will help.
Just build the enigma2 binary

For testing CPP code, just build enigma2, to save time.

enigma2 git location = /home/username/3.3/builds/developer/vusolo4k/tmp/work/vusolo4k-oe-linux-gnueabi/enigma2/enigma2-5.2+gitAUTOINC+f3fe89ab92-r0/git

enigma2 binary location = /home/username/3.3/builds/developer/vusolo4k/tmp/work/vusolo4k-oe-linux-gnueabi/enigma2/enigma2-5.2+gitAUTOINC+f3fe89ab92-r0/package/usr/bin/enigma2

cd /home/username/3.3/builds/openvix/developer/vusolo4k
MACHINE=vusolo4k
MACHINEBUILD=vusolo4k
. env.source
bitbake -f -c clean enigma2
bitbake -f -c unpack enigma2

(transfer modified C++ files to "enigma2 git")

bitbake -c package enigma2

(retrieve enigma2 binary from "enigma2 binary location")...
But an update build only takes a few minutes so normally I just do an update build from my enigma2 fork.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 08, 2017 22:38

Thanks, Huevos. I tried that earlier today and I think I've got it sorted now for a real test build.

When I posted asking how to do it, I couldn't quite match what was in the HTML of instructions with what I had, but it's good now.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Mon May 08, 2017 23:22

Thanks guys. A lot of work being done behind the scenes!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48

Does anyone know whether I should be building the current OpenViX Dev branch on the Oe-Alliance 4.0 or 4.1 build-environment?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:57

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48
Does anyone know whether I should be building the current OpenViX Dev branch on the Oe-Alliance 4.0 or 4.1 build-environment?
Is there a file, flag or setting within the build I can check to tell you the current build environment used in the new firmware I applied today? If not I can ask the other developers for you.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:14

IanSav wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:57
Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48
Is there a file, flag or setting within the build I can check to tell you the current build environment used in the new firmware I applied today? If not I can ask the other developers for you.

Thanks, Ian.

I think that if the OpenViX image name starts with 5.0 it was built on the Oe-Alliance 4.0 build-environment and so if the image name starts with 5.1 it may have been built on Oe-Alliance 4.1. But that's a guess, and I don't know of any other potential indicators.

The problem I'm having is that
MACHINE=beyonwizt3 DISTRO=openvix DISTRO_TYPE=developer make image

runs for a while and then the bitbake processes hang.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:32

Hi Prl,

Today's update was to 5.0.21.005 (Developer).

It is the middle of the night over there so I will ask for you when they are awake.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 28, 2017 14:54

OK, thanks Ian. That would be good.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jun 28, 2017 16:26

The problem I'm having is that there are three bitbake processes "running", but they're running very little, in the past nearly 4 hours, less than 2 min runtime each:

Code: Select all

PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 7597 pts/17   S+     0:00 make image
 7619 pts/17   S+     0:00 /bin/sh -c . /home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/env.source && cd /home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx && bitbake openvix-image
 7621 pts/17   S+     1:44 python3 /home/prl/openvix/bitbake/bin/bitbake openvix-image
 7624 pts/17   Sl+    1:41 python3 /home/prl/openvix/bitbake/bin/bitbake openvix-image
 7626 pts/17   Sl+    0:51 python3 /home/prl/openvix/bitbake/bin/bitbake openvix-image
 7627 pts/17   Z+    11:05 [Parser-1:2] <defunct>
And I'm not sure why Parser-1:2 has gone zombie.

I haven't been able to find any detailed logs beyond the setout/stderr of the make, which isn't saying anything about the problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jun 29, 2017 00:49

Hi Prl,

Build environment 4.0 is still the one to use. :)

Regards,
Ian.

Huevos
Apprentice

Post by Huevos » Thu Jun 29, 2017 05:35

4.0 is the current branch we are using for 5.0 images.

You should also be able to build from 4.1 if there is something you want to test in that branch that does not exist in the current branch.

Image numbering is not pegged to the core branch numbering although it has been in the past.

And enigma2 just comes from whatever git is mentioned in openvix.conf. So, for example, I test most of my stuff in my own fork of OpenViX and build from that.

Same with feeds. Just edit the feeds URI in openvix.conf to reflect where your feeds are located.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 08:58

prl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 16:26

Zombie's are finished processes whose parent process has not yet completed a waitpid() call to collect the child's exit() status.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05

IanB wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 08:58
prl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 16:26

Zombie's are finished processes whose parent process has not yet completed a waitpid() call to collect the child's exit() status.

I know what a zombie process is. I was wondering why Parser-1:2 had exited when it wasn't expected to.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06

Thanks, IanSav & Huevos. I've been building using the 4.0 build-environment and on the Dev branch of the main OpenViX repository.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:55

prl wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05
..... I was wondering why Parser-1:2 had exited when it wasn't expected to.
Alternatively Parser-1:2 may have finished successfully and it's the parent that constipated.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06

Huevos wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 05:35
4.0 is the current branch we are using for 5.0 images.

You should also be able to build from 4.1 if there is something you want to test in that branch that does not exist in the current branch.

Image numbering is not pegged to the core branch numbering although it has been in the past.

And enigma2 just comes from whatever git is mentioned in openvix.conf. So, for example, I test most of my stuff in my own fork of OpenViX and build from that.

Same with feeds. Just edit the feeds URI in openvix.conf to reflect where your feeds are located.

I've just been doing this:

git clone https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git -b 4.0 openvix
cd openvix
make init
make update
I.e. everything straight from the standard repositories.

However, there does seem to be some sort of feed problem, since I'm getting all these failures to locate packages:

WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-odroid/recipes-bsp/odroid-shutdown.bb: Unable to get checksum for odroid-shutdown SRC_URI entry inihdx-shutdown.sh: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-odin/recipes-bsp/odin-backup.bb: Unable to get checksum for odin-backup SRC_URI entry odin-backup.sh: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-gigablue/recipes-gb/gigablue-ethwol.bb: Unable to get checksum for gigablue-ethwol SRC_URI entry ethwol.sh: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-gfutures/recipes-graphics/libgles/hd-qteglfs-platform.bb: Unable to get checksum for hd-qteglfs-platform SRC_URI entry libqeglfs-nxpl-integration.so: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-fulan/recipes-drivers/fulan-dvb-modules-spark.bb: Unable to get checksum for fulan-dvb-modules-spark SRC_URI entry modules.conf: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-fulan/recipes-drivers/fulan-dvb-modules-spark.bb: Unable to get checksum for fulan-dvb-modules-spark SRC_URI entry modules-conf.conf: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-enigma2/dreambox-enigma2-config.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-enigma2-config SRC_URI entry skin_box.xml: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-drivers/dreambox-dvb-modules-dm800sev2_3.2-20151201.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-dvb-modules-dm800sev2 SRC_URI entry modules: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-drivers/dreambox-dvb-modules-dm800se_3.2-20151201.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-dvb-modules-dm800se SRC_URI entry modules: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-drivers/dreambox-dvb-modules-dm800_2.6.18-7.4-20131228a.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-dvb-modules-dm800 SRC_URI entry modules: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-drivers/dreambox-dvb-modules-dm7020hdv2_3.2-20160701.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-dvb-modules-dm7020hdv2 SRC_URI entry modules: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-drivers/dreambox-dvb-modules-dm7020hd_3.2-20160701.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-dvb-modules-dm7020hd SRC_URI entry modules: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-drivers/dreambox-dvb-modules-dm500hdv2_3.2-20140616.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-dvb-modules-dm500hdv2 SRC_URI entry modules: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-dream/recipes-drivers/dreambox-dvb-modules-dm500hd_3.2-20140616.bb: Unable to get checksum for dreambox-dvb-modules-dm500hd SRC_URI entry modules: file could not be found
WARNING: /home/prl/openvix/meta-openembedded/meta-oe/recipes-support/libtinyxml/libtinyxml_2.6.2.bb: Unable to get checksum for libtinyxml-native SRC_URI entry tinyxml.pc: file could not be found
There's no further log output at all after the warning about tinyxml.pc. Parser runs for a few minutes, then exits and the bitbake processes seem to lock up. It wouldn't surprise me if these failures caused the lockup, but I can't find any logging that would help work out which ones or what to do to fix them. They're not the only log messages, but they seem to me to be the ones most likely to be causing a problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 29, 2017 17:43

All those messages are nothing to worry about. It's caused by the bitbake recipes referencing files that are not part of your build configuration.

The parser needs network access to parse any recipes that build from git repositories, I would probably start looking at that aspect.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 17:54

peteru wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 17:43
All those messages are nothing to worry about. It's caused by the bitbake recipes referencing files that are not part of your build configuration.

The parser needs network access to parse any recipes that build from git repositories, I would probably start looking at that aspect.

I have network access in the VM running Ubuntu on my Mac, and the Parser is exiting without any error message being logged. I tend to agree that a network issue may be the cause, but why have the bitbake processes hung, and why did the Parser exit without any logged error message?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 29, 2017 20:17

Don't know. Do you have enough memory? I notice that bitbake chews up a large amount of memory before it builds the task cue. If I recall correctly, it was somewhere around the 3GB mark. It drops down by about 2GB once the jobs start executing.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 30, 2017 00:12

I've done the build before. It was slow, but it got there eventually.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:39

It turns out to have been a memory issue, but a little different from what peteru was suggesting.

I set the verbose option on the bitbake in the image target in the main Makefile, and it did three things: the first two were that it gave a proper error message on the failure, and it stopped the hang of the bitbake processes.

The error was:

ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /home/prl/openvix/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/meta/meta-environment.bb
Traceback (most recent call last):
bb.data_smart.ExpansionError: Failure expanding variable METADATA_REVISION, expression was ${@base_detect_revision(d)} which triggered exception CmdError: Execution of 'git rev-parse HEAD' failed: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory
So not enough memory, but in git, not bitbake. It's possibly caused by bitbake, but not happening in bitbake.

The third thing that it did was that when re-run, it got further before falling over because of the lack of memory:

ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /home/prl/openvix/meta-oe-alliance/meta-brands/meta-azbox/recipes-enigma2/enigma2-plugin-extensions-aziptv.bb
Traceback (most recent call last):
bb.data_smart.ExpansionError: Failure expanding variable SRCPV, expression was ${@bb.fetch2.get_srcrev(d)} which triggered exception FetchError: Fetcher failure: Fetch command export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-ZAfGH3Wkyj"; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh"; export PATH="/home/prl/openvix/openembedded-core/scripts:/home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/mipsel-oe-linux:/home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/tmp/sysroots/inihdx/usr/bin/crossscripts:/home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/sbin:/home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin:/home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin:/home/prl/openvix/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/bin:/home/prl/openvix/openembedded-core/scripts:/home/prl/openvix/bitbake/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin"; export HOME="/home/prl"; git -c core.fsyncobjectfiles=0 ls-remote git://github.com/OpenAZBox/AZIPTV.git  could not be run:
[Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory
Again, what looks like a failure due to lack of memory, but in git rather than in bitbake.

Anyway, I pumped up the memory allocation for the VM from 2GB to 3GB (out of 4GB of physical memory), started it off again, and it's now happily running bitbake tasks that seem to be building stuff.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 16:09

How much swap are you running?

You should have at least double the ram and for this workload even more. So at least 6GB, probably more like 10GB.

Sure it'll go slow as the next coming when you run out of mem but at least it won't crash.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 30, 2017 16:54

IanB wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 16:09
How much swap are you running?

You should have at least double the ram and for this workload even more. So at least 6GB, probably more like 10GB.

Sure it'll go slow as the next coming when you run out of mem but at least it won't crash.

I hadn't looked, but it's only 2GB reserved, and somehow the UUID for swap in /etc/fstab doesn't match the UUID in the swap partition anyway. I suspect this all happened when I had to enlarge the .vdi file that has the VM's "HDD" in it. That may also explain why the behaviour has changed since the last time I did a full build.

Thanks!
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Sat Jul 01, 2017 01:00

Handy hint for virtual disk images on VM's. :mrgreen:

On every vdisk have only 1 partition.

Want multiple partitions on a VM?

Then add multiply vdisks!

Makes it easy peasy when it come time to resize.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:01

Good idea!
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Huevos
Apprentice

Post by Huevos » Wed Aug 09, 2017 19:56

If you guys are building in a VM how do your feeds work?

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 00:17

Same as in a bare metal Linux, just a little slower.

The Linux doesn't know it's running in a VM, it appears to have real disks and real network cards. It in fact has a real IP address on the local lan.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 14:11

Like IanB there's nothing that needs to be done for the feeds for the Openvix build.

Sometimes the feed servers can't be reached, but I don't think that's a VM issue.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Huevos
Apprentice

Post by Huevos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 09:02

So is the feeds server running inside the VM too?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45

Hi Huevos,

I don't think anyone else is running a private feeds server. In my case I am using my internal Apache web server and my ISPs web server to serve my test feeds server of the OverlayHD skin. At this point I haven't told anyone about these feeds servers.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Aug 11, 2017 13:47

I think we might be talking about different servers. I meant the servers where the source gits are.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Huevos
Apprentice

Post by Huevos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 20:37

Just so it is clear what I mean...

I'm going to build Beyonwiz T3.

Build server: running Ubuntu 16.04
Build env folder: /home/openvix/5.0
Web server root folder: /var/www

In openvix.conf...
Change: DISTRO_FEED_URI to http://my.domain/feeds/${DISTRO_NAME}/$ ... /${MACHINE}
Change: ENIGMA2_URI to git://github.com/Username/enigma2.git;protocol=git;branch=Dev (i.e. my e2 fork).

Build the image:

After first build, link to the feeds:
mkdir -p /var/www/feeds/openvix/developer/5.0/inihdx
ln -s /home/openvix/5.0/builds/openvix/developer/inihdx/tmp/deploy/ipk/* /var/www/feeds/openvix/developer/5.0/inihdx

That's it. Now you have active, "in-situ" feeds. Plugins are now accessible and whenever you rebuild the image the update icon on the infobar/VFD will display.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 16:59

Does anyone know what branch of https://github.com/oe-alliance/build-enviroment.git should I be using to build OpenViX? 4.0 seems to be completely broken, but when I tried 4.1 it got about 3400 tasks into the build and died. I'm just started another try with 4.1

4.1 seems to be the "current" branch in the repository, but there's also a 4.2.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Developers Community”