Updating the issue tracker - part 1

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Updating the issue tracker - part 1

Post by prl » Sun Nov 13, 2016 16:44

Now that (I hope) the alpha testing of the large set of merges from upstream sources is getting close to being finished, I've started going through the outstanding issues in the issue tracker to weed out entries that no longer seem to be correct (i.e. fixed or implemented), or where I think they may need some further review.

This post covers what's currently in the last 3 of six pages of issues in the issue tracker "Open" list, issue numbers #337 and less.

Fixed or implemented: Status unknown/can't test: Needs better replication information: Need discussion about whether they should remain: More detailed review needed: I'll mark all the items listed in "Fixed or implemented" as "resolved" in a week or so, unless there are objections. I think the others just need to be looked at and discussed before deciding whether they should stay as-is, need to be revised, or be marked as something other than "New/Open".
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Updating the issue tracker - part 1

Post by IanSav » Sun Nov 13, 2016 20:25

Hi Prl,

Issue #187 is still a problem. In fact after the the OpenViX merges the UI is now quite broken. I will provide more details when I get a chance. This item should not be closed.

I still support the proposals listed in wishes #205 and #206. I would like these items to be retained.

Issue #230 is still a problem.

As I am now able to fix GUI issues as I discover them I am happy for the original problem report in issue #231 to be closed.

Issue #275 has been mostly addressed by your extensive work on fixing and enhancing the HELP system. The only element that could still be useful would be the ability to move and / or redefine the help text strings out of the Python code and into the skin as discussed in the issue text. Again, given your efforts in improving the language of the help system the justification for this request is considerably reduced.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49

IanSav wrote:... Issue #187 is still a problem. In fact after the the OpenViX merges the UI is now quite broken. I will provide more details when I get a chance. This item should not be closed.
What are the remaining problems in the parental control over classifications under "Protect services", apart from the minor issues about the labels used for classification (3+, 4+, etc vs C, G, PG etc) and perhaps the name of the option? And #535.
IanSav wrote:I still support the proposals listed in wishes #205 and #206. I would like these items to be retained.
There is already an implementation for skin-relative spinners (getConfigCurrentSpinner() in main/enigma.cpp), though it's more restrictive than what's proposed in #205, and different again from what's done in the OverlayHD plugin to implement user choice of spinners. I also don't think that allowing multiple spinners in a single directory is necessary, but I don't have any particular objection to it, either.

Personally, I think that #205 and #206 would add to the difficulty in assisting users with problems since it would mean that it would be harder to work out what is supposed to happen in a context where, say, a user presses RED and something unexpected happens. That's now not only context-dependent, but also skin-dependent.

I'd like to see clearer motivation for them, and a better description of how they are to function.

#205 needs correction about "~/" being skin-relative. It's not. Where it's used (which is rarely in the Beyonwiz "official" skins, and as far as I can see, always incorrectly), it's relative to the "skin_path" attribute of the current skin screen. Plain relative paths with SCOPE_ACTIVE_SKIN are first checked against /etc/enigma2, then the current skin path, and then against /usr/share/enigma2/skin_default, then against /usr/share/enigma2. That means that they're skin-relative unless over-ridden by skin files in /etc/enigma2, and have fallback lookups in the two default areas if they're missing in the current skin.

In #206, there's an important element missing from the proposed
<key id="KEY_NEXT" mapto="deleteForward" flags="mr" />
form, in that keymap entries exist in a context (which is supplied by the surrounding <map context="..."/> element). It's not clear how a skin screen <key/> element would interact with that. The context is an important part of how individual keys are bound to ActionMaps.

I definitely agree that if #205 and #206 (and #275) are to be implemented, they (also) need to be implemented upstream.
IanSav wrote:Issue #230 is still a problem.

As I am now able to fix GUI issues as I discover them I am happy for the original problem report in issue #231 to be closed.
OK.
IanSav wrote:Issue #275 has been mostly addressed by your extensive work on fixing and enhancing the HELP system. The only element that could still be useful would be the ability to move and / or redefine the help text strings out of the Python code and into the skin as discussed in the issue text. Again, given your efforts in improving the language of the help system the justification for this request is considerably reduced.
I don't understand the motivation of #275, apart from as a response to #205/#206, which would, I think, make something like #275 unavoidable. But otherwise, if my improvements to the help system removed most of the need for #275, it seems that #275 mostly served to paper over code problems that were perhaps better addressed by fixing the code.

#275 also assumes that keys always have constant help text. That's not the case. In any help screen, any help entry that's marked with a "(C)" (for "configurable") has help text that's generated by calling a function (well, by calling a "callable", which is a bit more general).

Even though it's been marked as "resolved", I still regard #301: Help menu in main screen errors as a continuing project (that I haven't worked on for some time).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:14

Hi Prl,

For issue #187:
  1. The first option on entering "Parental control" is "Enable parental protection" but there are no settings shown on the right.
  2. As noted, the icon on the message box for a successful PIN change is incorrect.
  3. The "Change PIN" option has no listed options shown on the right (probably appropriate) and no instructional text in the help box to tell the user what to do.
  4. None of the settings have any help text.
  5. As noted, the age settings and prompt need to be localised.
  6. The change PIN option should be last in the list.
This screen is based on a cut and paste of code from "Setup.py". I am currently refactoring a number of screens, including this one, to become sub classes of "Setup". Perhaps this code should only receive minimal fixes to overcome the issues in 1, 2 and 5 until I can get a fuller rework accepted.

For #205 and #206:
  • I accept that support could be made more difficult by allowing skin defined settings. Perhaps the fact that some of these options are used could be reported in the various logs.
  • The section on skin relative is incorrect and was written a very long time ago. OverlayHD has long since been updated to properly access skin relative components.
  • The short comings you highlight for #206 are accepted. Perhaps the wish is impracticable it definitely needs more thought .
  • I agree that this change is quite structural and needs to be in more than just the Beyonwiz build.
  • At the moment there are far bigger fish to fry. These wishes are low priority and can wait.
For #275 my intent was to move more of the text out of the code and into a text/XML file that can be maintained without needing to modify the source code. This request was created quite a while ago. The issue of variable help content based on the code and settings was not apparent when this item was created.

Given your ongoing efforts with the help system I think this wish can be closed for now. If any elements remain they can be raised when your efforts are complete.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 15, 2016 13:44

IanSav wrote:...
For issue #187:
  1. The first option on entering "Parental control" is "Enable parental protection" but there are no settings shown on the right.
  2. As noted, the icon on the message box for a successful PIN change is incorrect.
  3. The "Change PIN" option has no listed options shown on the right (probably appropriate) and no instructional text in the help box to tell the user what to do.
  4. None of the settings have any help text.
  5. As noted, the age settings and prompt need to be localised.
  6. The change PIN option should be last in the list.
This screen is based on a cut and paste of code from "Setup.py". I am currently refactoring a number of screens, including this one, to become sub classes of "Setup". Perhaps this code should only receive minimal fixes to overcome the issues in 1, 2 and 5 until I can get a fuller rework accepted.
I have fixes to 2 and 5 (and also #534*) ready to commit. I'll probably generate a pull request this afternoon. I mostly agree about the rest, though I think that all 1 needs is supporting description text. I'll leave the rest, since you intend to look at them. Perhaps I could close #187 and you could do a new issue for the remaining problems (since #187 refers to the feature not existing at all) and/or an issue to cover the refactor of the various screens to use Setup.
IanSav wrote:For #205 and #206:
  • I accept that support could be made more difficult by allowing skin defined settings. Perhaps the fact that some of these options are used could be reported in the various logs.
  • The section on skin relative is incorrect and was written a very long time ago. OverlayHD has long since been updated to properly access skin relative components.
  • The short comings you highlight for #206 are accepted. Perhaps the wish is impracticable it definitely needs more thought .
  • I agree that this change is quite structural and needs to be in more than just the Beyonwiz build.
  • At the moment there are far bigger fish to fry. These wishes are low priority and can wait.
For #275 my intent was to move more of the text out of the code and into a text/XML file that can be maintained without needing to modify the source code. This request was created quite a while ago. The issue of variable help content based on the code and settings was not apparent when this item was created.

Given your ongoing efforts with the help system I think this wish can be closed for now. If any elements remain they can be raised when your efforts are complete.
OK. I'll close #275 and leave #205 and #206 open. It may be useful for you to revise them at some stage.

* referring to the issue tracker discussion in #534, I have made the exception to PIN control on entering Trash folders to make the test more explicit.
That is, to not use
name.startswith(".Trash")
but be a bit more flexible than
name == ".Trash".

The test is currently
name not in (".Trash", ".trash", ".Trashcan")
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 15, 2016 13:45

Is anyone able to test #137? Peteru?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Nov 21, 2016 13:04

prl wrote:Is anyone able to test #137? Peteru?
I'll give it another shot when I can.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 13:16

peteru wrote:
prl wrote:Is anyone able to test #137? Peteru?
I'll give it another shot when I can.
Thanks.

I'll start checking off the agreed "fixed" items in the next few days.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 09:53

I've closed (as resolved) all of the agreed fixed problems that I'm able to. However, I don't have the ability to close issues I didn't create.

Could either the issue author or peteru mark the following issues as resolved (or will not fix, in the case of #213):

Submitted by peteru: #11

Submitted by IanSav: #187, #249, #231, #275

Submitted by IanB: #213
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:44

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:Submitted by IanSav: #11, #187, #249, #213, #275
#11 and #213 are not mine.

#187, #249 and #275 and a few others are now flagged as Resolved or Closed.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:08

IanSav wrote:Hi Prl,
prl wrote:Submitted by IanSav: #11, #187, #249, #213, #275
#11 and #213 are not mine.

#187, #249 and #275 and a few others are now flagged as Resolved or Closed.

Regards,
Ian.
Quite right. Thanks. #11 is from peteru, and I had the "ownership" of #213 and #231 reversed. You've already marked #231 as fixed.

I've fixed my original post.

Thanks for fixing the others.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:24

Hi Prl,

No problems.

Thanks for taking on the clean up task. :)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:42

Thanks.

It makes it a bit easier to look for what to fix next if there isn't a clutter of stuff that's already fixed ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:09

Hi Prl,

Is #241 (Exiting from unchanged AutoTimer screens gives a "Really close...?" message) really fixed? I just tried it with yesterday's firmware and it is still broken. I haven't installed today's update yet.

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:23

IanSav wrote:Hi Prl,

Is #241 (Exiting from unchanged AutoTimer screens gives a "Really close...?" message) really fixed? I just tried it with yesterday's firmware and it is still broken. I haven't installed today's update yet.

Regards,
Ian.
I guess you were adding one from the Graphical EPG?
From the issue -
"Reproduction steps
Create an Autotimer or have an existing one, then go to MENU>Autotimer, navigate to a timer, press OK, then press EXIT or RED Cancel without making any changes. An incorrect "Really close...?" popup appears.
Go to the Graphical EPG, navigate to a program, press BLUE Add AutoTimer, then press RED Cancel without making changes. You also get the "Really close...?" popup."

Fixed for the first step, but not for the second.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:31

Hi Geoff,

I just used Live TV > MENU > AutoTimer > MENU > 6 Setup > EXIT and received the alert. I am sure that this was working not all that long ago.

I just updated my T3 and the issue is still there.

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Nov 29, 2016 13:05

IanSav wrote:Hi Geoff,

I just used Live TV > MENU > AutoTimer > MENU > 6 Setup > EXIT and received the alert. I am sure that this was working not all that long ago.

I just updated my T3 and the issue is still there.

Regards,
Ian.
Weird.
I don't get the alert if I do the same (or via Live TV > BLUE > 3 AutoTimer ...)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 14:09

IanSav wrote:... I just used Live TV > MENU > AutoTimer > MENU > 6 Setup > EXIT and received the alert. I am sure that this was working not all that long ago. ...
That's a bug, for sure, and I can confirm it, but it's not #241.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 14:11

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:...
I guess you were adding one from the Graphical EPG?
From the issue -
"Reproduction steps
Create an Autotimer or have an existing one, then go to MENU>Autotimer, navigate to a timer, press OK, then press EXIT or RED Cancel without making any changes. An incorrect "Really close...?" popup appears.
Go to the Graphical EPG, navigate to a program, press BLUE Add AutoTimer, then press RED Cancel without making changes. You also get the "Really close...?" popup."

Fixed for the first step, but not for the second.
I agree. I've re-opened #241 with a note that it's partially fixed.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 29, 2016 14:15

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
IanSav wrote:... I just used Live TV > MENU > AutoTimer > MENU > 6 Setup > EXIT and received the alert. I am sure that this was working not all that long ago. ...
Sorry, I am doing so much at once. I am looking at AutoTimer for the OpenWebif people and saw the bug. I noticed the closed Beyonwiz issue and added 1 and 2 and came up with 4. :P

(At the moment I am rewriting the AutoTimer Setup screen for OpenWebif and one of the AutoTimer maintainers.)

Regards,
Ian.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Nov 29, 2016 15:28

prl wrote:
That's weird, as I said I don't get the alert from -- AutoTimer list > MENU > 6 Setup > EXIT
Yet you and Ian do.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 15:47

I was able to get rid of it. I did MENU>AutoTimer, MENU>Setup, disable Poll automatically, GREEN OK, MENU>Setup, enable Poll automatically, GREEN OK.

Now when I do MENU>AutoTimer, MENU>Setup, EXIT, I don't get the popup. It may have to do with restored settings messing with the "before" state of the setup screen.

I had something similar in MENU>Setup>System>Button settings, and I got rid of it in the same sort of way.

I'm not exactly sure what is going wrong.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 29, 2016 16:18

Hi Prl,

Followed the sequence you suggested and I have the same result.

I haven't restored settings on this box since I wiped all my settings and started fresh with the 16.1 builds.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 16:24

Odd.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Nov 29, 2016 20:19

One of the recent merges had some changes to do with the stringification of some config values. It's probably a side effect.

I think it would make more sense to open new bugs each time issues like this re-surface. Re-opening the same bug is not useful when it comes to tracking it through git.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:18

peteru wrote:One of the recent merges had some changes to do with the stringification of some config values. It's probably a side effect.

I think it would make more sense to open new bugs each time issues like this re-surface. Re-opening the same bug is not useful when it comes to tracking it through git.
I re-opened the bug for a reason unrelated to settings. I re-opened it in the interim because it hasn't been fully fixed. I'll create a new bug report that only contains the unfixed part.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Developers Community”