Developer Environment Image for Dummies :)

Moderators: Gully, peteru

dRdoS7
Wizard

Developer Environment Image for Dummies :)

Post by dRdoS7 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 22:11

Hi,

I don't know if anybody would be interested in setting one up, but it could be of help to others wanting to assist in work on the T series.

I was thinking of a Linux image for VirtualBox, which contains (installed & working) all the tools required, people could then run the VM, enter their own User & PW for the bits that need it. Viola! Instant programmers (ummm, do we really want that?).

People would still have to learn to use the tools, and modify!!! (sorry, watched Mater's Tall Tales a few too many times) code themselves, with help from the forum of course.

Maybe some sample code could be included for test purposes. Hopefully with some sort of goal attached (like make the Subtitle Switch a Global On/Off) :lol:

Just an idea.

dRdoS7

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Developer Environment Image for Dummies :)

Post by IanSav » Mon Mar 28, 2016 22:36

Hi dRdoS7,

The Beyonwiz itself makes a good development platform. I use a T3 for my development efforts.

Regards,
Ian.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 09:00

Hi,
IanSav wrote:Hi dRdoS7,

The Beyonwiz itself makes a good development platform. I use a T3 for my development efforts.

Regards,
Ian.
You do all your editing, etc., on the T3? :o

dRdoS7

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Mar 29, 2016 09:21

Hi dRdoS7,

Yes, I do some of my editing with vi on the T3. I also have the T3 hard disk cross mounted so I can access the T3 from both the T3 and my Windows XP PC. I can use all my PC based tools on the T3 as well. (Note that any tools used on the PC should be UNIX aware for correct handling of all text files. Notepad does not pass this requirement!)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 09:33

I dont think it's possible to build the Enigma2 application on the PVR. It is possible to do as IanSav does and restrict your work to the non-C++ parts of the UI, and that can be done entirely on the PVR, but that's not how I choose to do it.

I do compiles of enigma2 in Linux running in a VirtualBox hosted on OS X.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Mar 29, 2016 09:39

Hi,

As Prl notes, I don't dig down into the C++ parts of the system. I mostly work in the XML of the skins and some of the Python support code.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Developers Community”