V2 Front Panel Issues

Moderators: Gully, peteru

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

V2 Front Panel Issues

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jan 08, 2023 01:31

I don't suppose anyone knows much about the V2 front panel.

One of mine has gone a bit wiggy. Some segments on the display have stopped working, as well as the power button.
I noticed the button was gone today, when I went to reflash OpenATV onto my beta V2 unit.

I opened it up to have a peek to look for obvious signs of damage or shorts, but nothing was apparent.

The design of the V2 is pretty tidy, and tied up inside the silicon by the looks of it. The cable between the motherboard and the front panel only has a handful of pins, so it must be a comms connection of some sort, and maybe not just a simple case of a few loose wires causing some parts to lose connection (or it could be that those segments and the power button just happen to share a similar address and I am indeed missing one pin).

The V2 does live in a pretty harsh environment, so I am not too surprised that something failed. I am not devastated by this, rather just curious if it can be fixed with a home-bodge.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: V2 Front Panel Issues

Post by peteru » Sun Jan 08, 2023 09:34

Sounds like a mechanical issue. I suggest taking the front panel out and touching up solder joints that are connected to the display module and the button. Both sides of the traces - MCU and component. Also look for possible shorts due to solder splatter.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”