Replacement HDD for T2

Moderators: Gully, peteru

singlefished
Master

Replacement HDD for T2

Post by singlefished » Sun Sep 04, 2022 20:32

Hi guys, it looks like the 1Tb 2.5" HDD has failed in my T2 after almost 5 years..... nothing is being detected or found but everything else is still working. Have tried rebooting/restarting/opening up the lid and reseating connectors but no luck.

Don't have any enclosures so can't check the existing drive.... don't have any old 2.5" drives laying around to throw in the wiz for testing :(

It's in bits downstairs in the garage right now so not available to try any software interrogation either.... a fetch box has been temporarily relocated from my son's bedroom into the lounge until my beloved wiz is back up and running again!

Anyway, it's not the end of the world! I'm thinking to try replacing with an ebay cheapie and have seen plenty of pre loved 500gb refurb HDD's on eBay for about $15 delivered with 1 year warranty..... some that stretch up to almost $20 are advertised as near new that we're removed/replaced from brand new laptops before being shipped.

Are there any obvious things I'm missing? Will any old 2.5" drive be ok for the wiz or would it really need to be a proper surveillance/cctv style configured drive (which I think my old one was...)???
4 DP's in da house.... New T2 arrived Dec'17!

IanL-S
Master

Re: Replacement HDD for T2

Post by IanL-S » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:02

My recollection is that Warkus recommended WD Blue drives - I have a 2TB one in my U4 which has been going strong for many years. I only have AV drives in my T2's - salvaged from IceTV Skippa and other junked PVRs. My recollection is that it is hard to find 2.5" AV or surveylence dives; you could also try a NAS drive, which are also hard to find.

No experience with buying pre-loved drives, so cannot help there.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:11

IanL-S wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:02
My recollection is that Warkus recommended WD Blue drives - I have a 2TB one in my U4 which has been going strong for many years. I only have AV drives in my T2's - salvaged from IceTV Skippa and other junked PVRs. My recollection is that it is hard to find 2.5" AV or surveylence dives; you could also try a NAS drive, which are also hard to find.

No experience with buying pre-loved drives, so cannot help there.

Ian

I have never had a 2.5" 1TB WD Blue fail on me, and I routinely include one in all my HTPCs for backups. As far as I know they have been installed in my T2 and U4 as delivered by BW and never given any trouble. Less than $50 new at selected retail outlets plus about $8 postage, or $50 free postage from ebay.

I might be game to try a pre-loved drive if there were a credible warranty attached, but my preference would be a pre-loved WD Blue if you can find one.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Mon Sep 05, 2022 13:01

Excellent.... a WB blue it is then! Will dig about on eBay but even $50 brand new isn't really that bad.

I'm actually a bit more worried about the main T2 hardware failing now that it's almost hit 5 years ~ nothing new to buy in the Beyonwiz shop to replace it with if it does break down..... not a huge fan of Fetch but def would rather stick with a wiz!

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Sep 05, 2022 13:43

singlefished wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 13:01
I'm actually a bit more worried about the main T2 hardware failing now that it's almost hit 5 years ~ nothing new to buy in the Beyonwiz shop to replace it with if it does break down..... not a huge fan of Fetch but def would rather stick with a wiz!
NASA Electronics are selling refurbished units through eBay. They are the only remaining "official" repair place for Beyonwiz.

Some links in this topic viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15131
Cheers
Gully

singlefished
Master

Post by singlefished » Mon Sep 05, 2022 21:19

Gully wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 13:43
NASA Electronics are selling refurbished units through eBay. They are the only remaining "official" repair place for Beyonwiz.

Some links in this topic viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15131
Thankyou!

Return to “Hardware Discussion”