T2 stopped working with just red power light

Moderators: Gully, peteru

michal
Master

T2 stopped working with just red power light

Post by michal » Tue Jan 11, 2022 16:19

Hi,

I'm troubleshooting a T2 unit which suddenly "stopped working".

That is to say it doesn't start up or output anything on the HDMI interface. When you turn it on with the switch at the back the red power light comes on but the power button at the front does nothing.

I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the power supply so I tried two alternatives without any change in behaviour.

Does this sound like some sort of known problem? Damaged voltage regulator like with the T4's?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michal

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T2 stopped working with just red power light

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 11, 2022 16:31

michal wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 16:19
Does this sound like some sort of known problem? Damaged voltage regulator like with the T4's?
Not a common/known fault AFAIK.

You can try unplugging all antenna cables and USB devices and power cycling (leave it off for 30 seconds or so).

If the HDMI continues to show nothing, then you may try a different HDMI port on the TV, or even a *gulp* composite connection.

You could also try to initiate a USB update to see if that kicks anything into life. I know some TVs wont show the bootloader screen on boot, so its possible it may be getting as far as the bootloader and might be able to continue with an update (if the screen starts working).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

IanL-S
Master

Re: T2 stopped working with just red power light

Post by IanL-S » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:16

Do not recall seeing anything like that with any of my T2's. There is a remote possibility, that the file system on the T2 is corrupted, and this is causing the problem. However in my very limited experience (in my case with a V2) it got further into the boot process - however that may merely be due to the differenent hardware used by the V2). You could try disconnecting the internal SATA drive and see if it makes any difference. Before opening the case, disconnect the power supply from the T2 to avoid potential nasty consequences. Not hoeful with this but it is worth a try.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”