U4 HDMI output stopped working

Moderators: Gully, peteru

sddawson
Master

U4 HDMI output stopped working

Post by sddawson » Sun Nov 01, 2020 19:02

We recently suffered a fairly violent electrical storm in Sydney. I big lightning flash took out the LAN ports on the NBN box and my router, and my main Ethernet switch completely died. After this, I can’t get picture or sound from my U4. The front panel looks fine, and the unit responds to channel changes etc. I can also get to it across the network. I’ve tried a different HDMI cable and input on my AV receiver. I’ve opened the box and there’s not anything that’s obviously fried. Anyone think of anything I can do to try to revive it?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: U4 HDMI output stopped working

Post by MrQuade » Sun Nov 01, 2020 19:43

If you have successfully used the same input on the TV and receiver with another source device, then the U4 has definitely been zapped. If that is the case, then there would be nothing short of getting it repaired by a pro, and even then, there is a very good chance it is toast and unrecoverable I reckon. (mid you this is from someone who isn't that familiar with the hardware guts of the U4).

You can always contact Warkus or Beyonwiz to get their take on the chances of repair of course.

If it turns out to be unrepairable, the U4 can still be useful for streaming to other devices though (Phones/Tablets/Media PCs/Plex etc), or as an extra networked tuner for a V2 or other Beyonwiz PVR.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Sun Nov 01, 2020 19:52

Yes, that’s what I’m thinking. I’ve sent messages to Mark and Beyonwiz, so we’ll see what they say. Thanks for the reply.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Nov 01, 2020 23:14

If the HDMI output is zapped, you need to replace the main SoC. The way this component is soldered onto the motherboard pretty much makes it impossible to replace it reliably or economically. The alternative option is a motherboard replacement.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

sddawson
Master

Post by sddawson » Mon Nov 02, 2020 08:19

Ok. It’ll be interesting to hear what Beyonwiz has to say about repairability.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”