Beyonwiz U4 Remote Control - Replacement

Moderators: Gully, peteru

glen
Guru

Beyonwiz U4 Remote Control - Replacement

Post by glen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:58

Hi

Is the U4 remote control available for purchase anywhere? I had a look on the Beyonwiz website and it isn't there as an accessory but am sort of hoping that there still might be a way of getting a replacement.

The up arrow on mine is playing up which is a real pain considering that it is less than 18 months old.

I assume that the warranty on the U4 was only 12 months so if that is the case it is out of warranty. Is it worth contracting Beyonwiz to see if they can repair it anyway?

I really don't want to buy a programable remote unless I have no other choice.

Regards Glen

prl
Wizard God

Re: Beyonwiz U4 Remote Control - Replacement

Post by prl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:18

I can't see any U4 remotes on the Beyonwiz pages, either. I'd try contacting them, and if they can supply U4 remotes, perhaps suggest that they advertise the fact on their Web shop. Perhaps remind them of the Australian Consumer Guarantee:
Products must also:
  • have spare parts and repair facilities available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise.
IIRC, the U4 is sold with only the Australian Consumer Guarantee and no specific manufacturer's warranty. The ASG has no specific time limit (and over-rides any limitations of a manufacturer's warranty anyway).

If not, you may be able to get a second-hand one from either Beyonwiz or forum member Warkus (Mark Vasile). Contact details for Warkus.

Failing that, it's also possible to use the T2, T3 or T4 remotes with the U4, but they don't have the additional U4 remote buttons: TV-OUT, WIZTV/HDMI OUT, SETUP, ABOUT or SLOW.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:50

Hi Prl

Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up with Beyonwiz and see what happens.

On a side note I am pretty disappoint with the short sale life of the U4.

Regards Glen

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Thu Apr 25, 2019 13:39

glen wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:58
Is the U4 remote control available for purchase anywhere? I had a look on the Beyonwiz website and it isn't there as an accessory ...
Back in 10-Sep-18 I asked via the webpage contact if I could purchase a U4 remote (& U4 USB lead for the USB tuner, which is irrelevant to this topic). Back then the Beyonwiz shop didn’t show a U4 remote for purchase.

I wanted to use this with our T2 (the T2 remote was unreliable, it had one regularly used button that was intermittent, & for a replacement I wanted to have like remotes on our U4 & T2).

Based on the lack of reply from Beyonwiz I assumed they didn’t have any. I hope you have better luck than me, or at least get a reply. Please let us know how you go.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Apr 25, 2019 13:53

sub3R wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 13:39
Based on the lack of reply from Beyonwiz I assumed they didn’t have any. I hope you have better luck than me, or at least get a reply. Please let us know how you go.
Past experience has always been to call rather than other methods.
Cheers
Gully

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Apr 25, 2019 15:32

Intermittent operation on only some buttons on a remote is almost always caused by contamination. The fix is usually very simple. As long as you can open up the remote without damaging it, you should be able to cleanup and be back to as-good-as-new operation in under an hour. No need to go into the hassle of replacing the whole thing.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Thu Apr 25, 2019 16:02

peteru wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 15:32
... The fix is usually very simple ...
I agree, I’ve done that successfully with one or two remotes. That would definitely be worth doing with Glen’s U4 remote. The trick is to open it without damaging it.

But in my situation, the T2 remote was a terrible remote IMO, & to become unreliable at just under 12 months of use I wasn’t prepared to pull it apart to fix or claim under warranty. I would much rather buy a better remote like the U4 remote which would serve two purposes.
Gully wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 13:53
Past experience has always been to call rather than other methods.
Yes, that may have been the better way to go. But why have that contact option on their webpage?
Dennis

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Apr 25, 2019 16:56

sub3R wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 16:02
But why have that contact option on their webpage?
Why not?
Cheers
Gully

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Thu Apr 25, 2019 17:10

I meant the written contact option. Only have the call contact option listed if that is the better way to go.
Dennis

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Apr 25, 2019 17:26

sub3R wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 17:10
I meant the written contact option. Only have the call contact option listed if that is the better way to go.
You'd have to ask Beyonwiz but I guess calling won't suit everyone and perhaps it won't be the best option always. I think for a start people like the confidence that comes from all the details.
Cheers
Gully

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 18:19

peteru wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 15:32
As long as you can open up the remote without damaging it, you should be able to cleanup and be back to as-good-as-new operation in under an hour.
Hi Peteru

Any tips on how to open it up. There are no obvious screws that I can see. I assume that it needs to be prised open along the seam but I am reluctant to do that without any guidance of where to apply pressure. I suspect I may also need some tools.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards Glen

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:30

So the remote got worst last night, just my luck, it still works but I am finding that I have to press the up button more often for it to respond.

I have logged a ticket with Beyonwiz to see if I can buy a replacement, fingers crossed.

If I can't then I will look at opening up my current remote to see if I can repair it but I am pretty hesitant to do this atm, I need more info on how to open it.

However as a stopgap measure I went out and bough a Harmony 350 remote, I really didn't want to do this but I use the up button all of the time, skipping through media, probably why it is not working now. It was only $38 at Officeworks so no biggy. That said I am pretty unimpressed with it so far.

However how do you access the subtitles screen when playing a file? Any ideas? Subtitles are pretty important to me. In the same vein how do you also access the audio screen.

I had assumed that you could just hit the menu button whilst a file was playing and it would show relevant actions that could be taken, i.e. subtitles and audio, but no luck this is not a valid action.

Regards Glen

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:34

Menu was disabled during file playback because of a bug that caused the menu to eventually lock up.

To access subtitle and audio settings during file playback, you press the AUDIO button on the remote.

You can map the AUDIO action to any button you want on the Harmony using the configuration software on your PC
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:41

Damn, I just want something that works, this is the whole reason that I didn't want a universal remote. Just to be clear I am not have a go at you MrQuade, just frustrated that this whole issue is so difficult. I should be able to just buy a replacement remote. Arggggg.

Any idea on that status of that bug and if/when it is likely to be fixed, assuming that it is in fact fixable.

Regards Glen

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:48

glen wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:41
Any idea on that status of that bug and if/when it is likely to be fixed, assuming that it is in fact fixable.
Disabling the MENU button *was* the fix. ;)
There are no plans to fix the underlying issue since the main menu is a bit of a problematic beast.

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:49

glen wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:41
Damn, I just want something that works, this is the whole reason that I didn't want a universal remote. Just to be clear I am not have a go at you MrQuade, just frustrated that this whole issue is so difficult. I should be able to just buy a replacement remote. Arggggg.

Regards Glen
I'm not sure menu in this case would have given you those menus anyway. IIRC it bought up the main menu. So not an issue related to using a remote or even which remote you are using,
Cheers
Gully

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:02

Gully wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:49
I'm not sure menu in this case would have given you those menus anyway. IIRC it bought up the main menu. So not an issue related to using a remote or even which remote you are using,
Drat.

What do the coloured buttons do during playback, they seem to do something but I can't see where they are configured.

If I made a request to be able to assign subtitles and audio to the colour buttons during media playback do you think that it would be considered?

Otherwise how a about a request to bring up a submenu (not the main menu) when the menu button is pressed which contains only the audio and subtitle screens. I don't know enough about the menu button bug to know if this was only cause the same issue. So I guess this might not be possible.

Regards Glen

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:10

glen wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:02
Gully wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:49
Drat.

What do the coloured buttons do during playback, they seem to do something but I can't see where they are configured.

If I made a request to be able to assign subtitles and audio to the colour buttons during media playback do you think that it would be considered?

Otherwise how a about a request to bring up a submenu (not the main menu) when the menu button is pressed which contains only the audio and subtitle screens. I don't know enough about the menu button bug to know if this was only cause the same issue. So I guess this might not be possible.

Regards Glen
You can do all that yourself in the Harmony setup and change the function of most/all buttons to whatever you want.
Cheers
Gully

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:32

Well good news. Beyonwiz are able to sell me a new remote. So happy days. Thank you Beyonwiz.

However back to my request, I shouldn't have to muck around assigning buttons for basic functionality, you should be able to access from the menu. In any event what button do I take away the current functionality to get my desired new function?

Anyway, it comes down to what people consider reasonable and as we know everyone has their own interpretation of that.

I guess it will depend upon whether any of the coders consider such a change it worthy of their time and how it ranks in priority to other bugs/requests.

Regards Glen
Last edited by glen on Fri Apr 26, 2019 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 26, 2019 15:17

glen wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:32
However back to my request, I shouldn't have to muck around assigning buttons for basic functionality, you should be able to access from the menu.
The U4 isn't written specifically to account for users of third-party remotes, and the software is written to work with the remote that came with the U4 (which has an AUDIO button). It is up to the users of third party devices to adjust their equipment to replicate or enhance the function normally carried out by the U4's bundled remote to suit their own circumstance.

Adding features to the U4 is of course possible, but it has to be to the benefit of the users and not add specific-case and potentially confusing feature-bloat.
glen wrote:
In any event what button do I take away the current functionality to get my desired new function?
One neat feature of the Harmony remotes is that you can configure a different action when a particular button is long-pressed. I would suggest that you configure a long-press of the Harmony's MUTE button to send the code for the U4's AUDIO button instead.
glen wrote:
Anyway, it comes down to what people consider reasonable and as we know everyone has their own interpretation of that.
I think it is generally understood that the Harmony remotes in particular are designed to be heavily customised by their end users and is just considered normal. Admittedly that is less-the-case for the Harmony 350, since that one is limited to a single "activity". The more advanced remotes in the series can be configured with a dozen activities with just as many devices configured within those activities (and that's not even considering customising the mobile phone interface).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 26, 2019 16:49

glen wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:30
... a Harmony 350 remote, ... I am pretty unimpressed with it so far.

IMO the problem is that the 350 really doesn't have enough buttons to make it very good for a setup with a Beyonwiz PVR.

My button count gives 49 programmable buttons on the 350 vs 52 buttons on the U4 remote, which doesn't sound too bad, but 5 of the 350's buttons are dedicated to storing favourite channel numbers, and can't be used for anything else. That effectively makes it 44 usable buttons for Beyonwiz control, so something's going to give.

I wouldn't consider anything less that a Harmony 650, which has 5 buttons that can be given user-determined remote codes and labels, and you can have multiple pages of them. That means you can put the most frequently used "missing" buttons (like AUDIO) in that area and have them properly labelled.

The downside is that the list price of a 650 is double that of a 350.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Apr 26, 2019 17:31

prl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 16:49
I wouldn't consider anything less that a Harmony 650, which has 5 buttons that can be given user-determined remote codes and labels, and you can have multiple pages of them. That means you can put the most frequently used "missing" buttons (like AUDIO) in that area and have them properly labelled.

The downside is that the list price of a 650 is double that of a 350.
Or my preference which is for the models like the Elite that comes with the Hub and let's you do even more amazing things. Fortunately bought on special but still double the cost of the 650.
Cheers
Gully

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Apr 26, 2019 17:35

Gully wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 17:31
Or my preference which is for the models like the Elite that comes with the Hub and let's you do even more amazing things. Fortunately bought on special but still double the cost of the 650.
Double!? Who did you have to murder to get that sort of price? ;)

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Apr 26, 2019 18:18

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 17:35
Gully wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 17:31
Double!? Who did you have to murder to get that sort of price? ;)
Fortunately no-one. It was on special at EB Games and then a price beat at OW meant I got it for $180! Very very happy.
Cheers
Gully

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Apr 27, 2019 01:31

I'm afraid MrQuade gave you a bit of a bum steer with the menu thing and you are barking up the wrong tree here. Subtitle settings can be brought up by the use of the SUBTITLE or AUDIO buttons, MENU has nothing to do with it. I've never used a Harmony (I have a very, very low opinion of them), but surely it has to be possible to have that functionality.

As far as opening up the Beyonwiz remotes goes, I found that a bit of plastic (like a corner of the meat tray you get when you get mince from the supermarket) carefully jammed into the gap between the two halves of the remote, tends to do the job. If I recall correctly, the easiest places to get open tend to be on the sides towards the bottom. The area near the top, around the LED, needs to be opened last.

I actually don't have a U4 remote top open up to see the details. I've had one, but gave it away to a friend in need. However, if it is the same physical construction as the DP-P1 remote (BR-02) (and I think it is), then a forum search for one of my previous posts on how to fix remotes will probably get you a thread that has fairly specific instructions.

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Apr 27, 2019 01:56

Here's a picture of what a BR-02 looks like when opened. The trick is to push the upper (button) side of the remote inwards, while levering the bottom (battery) side of the remote outwards. This will disengage the locking tabs without breaking them. Start near the MENU/EXIT buttons in the middle where the remote is the most flexible, then work down towards the battery compartment. Leave the upper side (near LED) for last.
BR-02_open.jpg
BR-02_open.jpg (457.61 KiB) Viewed 3691 times

Blog.

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Sat Apr 27, 2019 08:30

Hi PeterU

Thank you. That is the exact info that I needed.

I will wait until my new U4 arrives and then attempt to open up my old one to repair.

Thanks

Regards Glen

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Apr 27, 2019 09:33

peteru wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 01:31
I'm afraid MrQuade gave you a bit of a bum steer with the menu thing and you are barking up the wrong tree here. Subtitle settings can be brought up by the use of the SUBTITLE or AUDIO buttons, MENU has nothing to do with it. I've never used a Harmony (I have a very, very low opinion of them), but surely it has to be possible to have that functionality.

The Harmony model in question, the 350, seem to lack any suitably labelled buttons for SUBTITLE and AUDIO, and lacks the screen with user-labelled buttons that more expensive models have. You could program those codes on any button you liked, but it may be a bit confusing (and you may sacrifice the ability to have codes for other useful functions).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Apr 27, 2019 09:38

peteru wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 01:31
I didn't deliberately mislead anyone. I pointed out that the AUDIO button was the one they wanted, and in the next post pointed out they can map the AUDIO function to a long press of the MUTE button on his Harmony.

The only reason that I mentioned MENU was in response to a question and I did not indicate that it was something that could be useful to them.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:36

glen wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 08:30
I will wait until my new U4 arrives and then attempt to open up my old one to repair.
This ‘Best Replacement Remote for DP-S1 topic has some advice on cleaning. Mark (warkus) gives good advice about using certain products for cleaning.
Dennis

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:47

prl wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 09:33
The Harmony model in question, the 350, seem to lack any suitably labelled buttons for SUBTITLE and AUDIO, and lacks the screen with user-labelled buttons that more expensive models have. You could program those codes on any button you liked, but it may be a bit confusing (and you may sacrifice the ability to have codes for other useful functions).
Yeah, Since I will be getting a new remote I have given up on the Harmony 350. I did remap the subtitle button and audio button to favourite 1 and 5 but the others in the household will never remember it, they have enough problems with the current remote and using the U4.

I think that this will be an issue in the future, whilst I was lucky I doubt many others in the future will be able to get a replacement U4 remote. Beyonwiz told me that the previous supplier of the remote model used by the U4 was bought out by another supplier who then discontinued production of that remote model uso there will be no future stock.

The universal remote that Beyonwiz sells is the Harmony 350, which is why I bought it, I incorrectly assumed that it had button parity. That said Beyonwiz did say that the T3 remote works on the U4 as well so maybe there is that option for people.

I still think that you should be able to access all of the relevant menu features, i.e. subtitles, audio and anything else that is relevant via the menu button whilst in media play mode. This means that anyone with a basic universal remote will be able to drive the U4 using the labelled buttons however it doesn't seem that view has any support.

Although Beyonwiz have been fantastic the issue with the U4 having such a short sales window and the shortage of replacement remotes has me concerned in general. I have had a DP-S1, T3 and now a U4. I am getting the sense that the days of the PVR is coming to a close, the product cycles seem to be speeding up. I assume that it is because of the move of users to steaming services and the move of suppliers to mobile phone related hardware and that suppliers are keeping less replacement parts available. I do wonder what the future for PVRs is.

Regards Glen

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:51

sub3R wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:36
This ‘Best Replacement Remote for DP-S1 topic has some advice on cleaning. Mark (warkus) gives good advice about using certain products for cleaning.
Wow, that is an excellent thread. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I suspect that I would have ended up doing more harm than good without reading that.

Thanks.

Regards Glen

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:50

In case you or anyone is looking for a deal on a Harmony remote, Amazon have the Logitech Harmony Companion Remote for $146.30 currently. No display but you get a hub and can use your smartphone too.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B077DCBQB4
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:24

Gully wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:50
In case you or anyone is looking for a deal on a Harmony remote, Amazon have the Logitech Harmony Companion Remote for $146.30 currently. No display but you get a hub and can use your smartphone too.

The Companion remote looks inadequate for controlling a setup containing a Beyonwiz (possibly even worse than the 350). Does the phone app allow you soft-labelled buttons (as you'd have on the Harmony remotes with displays)?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59

prl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:24
The Companion remote looks inadequate for controlling a setup containing a Beyonwiz (possibly even worse than the 350). Does the phone app allow you soft-labelled buttons (as you'd have on the Harmony remotes with displays)?
You can set up the phone app buttons with any function in whatever layout you want.

I think the companion remote is marginally better than the 350 in terms of useful buttons, and could be made to comfortably operate a Wiz's core features.

I very rarely need to access the screen on my Harmony Elite, and the hard-buttons are more or less the same (The elite moves the numberpad onto one of the screens).

The only things that I would use regularly from the screen are AUDIO and SUBTITLE, and you can map them to long-presses of the MUTE button, or one of the rarely-used buttons below the numberpad.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”