New U4 user, FF/Rew problems

Moderators: Gully, peteru

MadScientist

New U4 user, FF/Rew problems

Post by MadScientist » Sun Apr 14, 2019 13:00

I recently bought a barebones U4 (2 weeks ago approx) and I am struggling to get the FF/Rew working reliably. I put in a 2 TB firecuda HDD. I wanted the barracuda but the local shop only had firecudas. I worked through the installation, and installed a couple of ?apps such as epgrefresh.

The issue I have is with FF/Rew. When I first turn it on, from I think a full shutdown, it works normally. If I pause a program for a while and come back, all is good, the ff/rew functions work normally, but after a few back and forth with ff and rewind, it becomes erratic. The picture will stay frozen when either button is pressed, and then when you press play, it has ff/rew a little, but it then it either plays with stuttering audio, or no audio at all. Pusing it for a few seconds, and then press play sometimes help to get the audio back in sync. However, to get it working reliably, It has to be reset, ie. full y shutdown and restarted, losing your time slip. Notably, this does not occur with recorded programs, they ff/rew normally and the up/down arrows work beautifully, love that function, and the reason I bought it in the first place.

The question is, where does the issue lie? With the hard disk, the U4, or how I have set it up? Tuner strength on all four tuners is >95%. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: New U4 user, FF/Rew problems

Post by MrQuade » Sun Apr 14, 2019 13:31

Similar query here.

As you have observed, it is a feature that works some of the time, but frankly not many people use it. FF/REW is really a legacy of older linear tape technology, and it has been largely ignored in favour of skipping. You may find that switching your navigation habit to skipping will yield less frustration.

The FF/REW issues are deeply rooted in the way that the drivers interact with the media player software, none of which is written by Beyonwiz themselves, but can be tweaked if required. It may be something that is fixable, but the appetite for that might be low.
Last edited by MrQuade on Sat Apr 20, 2019 01:55, edited 2 times in total.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

MadScientist

Re: New U4 user, FF/Rew problems

Post by MadScientist » Sat Apr 20, 2019 00:11

Thanks for that, I will try not using the FF and new buttons. It makes more sense to use the arrow keys. Old habits die hard.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”