Moving HDD from T3 to T4 ? Simple ?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

harold
Master

Moving HDD from T3 to T4 ? Simple ?

Post by harold » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:22

Hi,

I've cracked the shits with my T3........

Warkus worked his magic about 2 years ago and resurrected it with new power, caps etc....Kudos to him, but a recent chat suggests it might now be a mainboard issue.......It started playing up again. FW updates fixes the problem for a few days, then it crashes regularly.....Anywho, I've had enough of it.

I have sourced a barebones T4 and await it's delivery. I have the 2Tb drive from the T3 that has numerous recordings on it, that I would like to keep. Can I simply remove the 2Tb HDD from the T3 and plop it into the T4 and away I go, or do I need to extract the files, reformat in the T4, then replace files?

In anticipation of the remove/reformat/replace option, I plugged the HDD directly into my pc and while the pc 'sees' the drive, it reports no data, zero size and recommends a format to use. I'm guessing that the T3 uses proprietary formatting ?

What's the best way to move the HDD into the T4, as well as the data on it (from old T3).

Thanks muchly in advance

:)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: Moving HDD from T3 to T4 ? Simple ?

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:43

You can do the swap.
Setup from scratch though, as I believe the recommendation is don't restore settings. If you use IceTV, a T3 settings backup used on the T4 would screw up your IceTV config (the IceTV 'device id' is tied to the MAC address of the PVR.
Then take a backup.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:49

harold wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:22
In anticipation of the remove/reformat/replace option, I plugged the HDD directly into my pc and while the pc 'sees' the drive, it reports no data, zero size and recommends a format to use. I'm guessing that the T3 uses proprietary formatting ?

Yes, "proprietary" in the sense of "used by Linux" (specifically Linux ext4 format). Otherwise, not proprietary in the sense that its drivers are all Open Source.
harold wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:22
What's the best way to move the HDD into the T4, as well as the data on it (from old T3).

First, don't connect it to a system that doesn't understand its formatting and offers to format it for you ;)

Second, open the T4, remove any HDD in there. Put the T3 HDD in the T4 and connect it. Close the cabinet, power up, enjoy. The HDD will be labelled as a T3 HDD, but other than that everything should be fine.

Do not restore settings from the T3 onto the T4, especially if you use IceTV. Do the T4 setup manually and then save settings, so the next time you need to restore settings, you don't accidentally restore the wrong ones..
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

harold
Master

Post by harold » Wed Jul 11, 2018 14:47

Peter, Geoff

Thanks both :D

Fingers crossed

This forum is ALWAYS helpful. I wish all online forums were.

harold
Master

Post by harold » Thu Jul 12, 2018 17:04

T4 barebones arrived today. Old T3 HDD went in and all's well.

Apparently this Linux thing works much better than the MS version :wink:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”