Playback recordings jumpy and pixelated

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Joshuamia
On probation

Playback recordings jumpy and pixelated

Post by Joshuamia » Sat Jun 23, 2018 13:53

Hi Guys,

I've been having trouble with my T4 for many months now in regards to recording being jumpy and pix-elated. It doesn't happen on every recording but 30% of everything recorded. I have contacted Beyonwiz and we went through some trouble shooting ideas and was told the signal and antenna strength all appears to be working correctly. The suggestion was made that maybe the issue is coming from IceTv and the signal coming off an incorrect tower. I then rang IceTV and was told this is definitely not the case and I was given incorrect information. They seem to think its an issue with my hard drive.

When I watch TV through the T4 it is always perfect with no jumping, only when I have recorded something and played it back is when I have the issue. Can someone advice me on what to try next. Thanks in advance.

Star6key
Guru

Re: Playback recordings jumpy and pixelated

Post by Star6key » Sat Jun 23, 2018 16:48

If you have a spare USB drive, connect it to the T4 (you WILL need to format it once connected otherwise you won't be able to record to it), then do your recording to the drive (goto 'main menu/setup/tv/recording settings/timer recording location' and change the directory to the usb drive) and see what you get. If it's the same (bad quality), then your T4 hard drive is ok and the problem could be your Tuners.

edit -
Just realised you say that you have no issue when watching live tv. It is possible you have a hard drive issue, but you might also have 1 or more failed tuners (but not all), which might explain why you only see the issue randomly.
Last edited by Star6key on Sat Jun 23, 2018 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Sat Jun 23, 2018 16:51

Joshuamia wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 13:53
The suggestion was made that maybe the issue is coming from IceTv and the signal coming off an incorrect tower
There are just no words, for this suggestion from Beyonwiz support. :shock:

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Jun 23, 2018 16:58

Joshuamia wrote:
I've been having trouble with my T4 for many months now in regards to recording being jumpy and pix-elated. It doesn't happen on every recording but 30% of everything recorded.

Check the contents of file "/var/log/messages" to see if any HDD errors are being logged.
You can copy it to USB using File Commander, but you need to be on firmware 20180417 or later. Otherwise, use File Commander to navigate to it and press TEXT to view the contents on the T4.
I think it's unlikely given you state the issue is not with all recordings.

Check that all tuners are working fine - test each in turn.
MENU>>Setup>>Tuner>>Tuner allocation, change the preferred tuner to "Tuner A", GREEN/Save. Exit back to live TV. Change to a different broadcaster (e.g. SBS to ABC) to force use of Tuner A. Press OK to bring up the Infobar and confirm you're viewing via tuner A.
Then go back and repeat the exercise for tuners B, C, and D.
Once finished with this testing, set the preferred tuner as "auto".

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 23, 2018 17:18

Star6key wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 16:51
Joshuamia wrote:
The suggestion was made that maybe the issue is coming from IceTv and the signal coming off an incorrect tower
There are just no words, for this suggestion from Beyonwiz support. :shock:

There are circumstances where a mismatch between the user's IceTV server configuration and the channels scanned can cause IceTV to record duplicate channels with lower signal quality that is available on other frequencies for the same channel content.

The suggestion can't be dismissed out of hand.

Joshima, when you did a service scan for the T4, did it find any duplicate services that were assigned LCNs 350 or greater in the Terrestrial LCN TV bouquet?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Hardware Discussion”