T4 Tuners have failed won't tune and can't find any DTV channels

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Grincais
Apprentice

T4 Tuners have failed won't tune and can't find any DTV channels

Post by Grincais » Thu May 03, 2018 20:25

Happily watching TV and the screen went Black "NO SIGNAL" so I have plugged the antenna direct to the TV every thing works fine once i bypass the T4. On the T4 ,the tuner by pass is not passing a standard signal to the TV. I switched the T4 off and then back on " BOOTING" I could not get out of the boot screen. I reloaded the firmware from beyonwiz site and then re booted. this worked but when i try to auto scan "No signal found" i have tried to change the tuner order but the same outcome. "NO Signal found" I have owned a DP-2, then upgraded to the T3 that had the fatal boot loader fault and could not be resurrected. I upgraded to the T4 now this has failed. Not sure of the purchase date but its probably been 18 months to 2 years old. How long should one of these units last. feeling frustrated with my Beyonwiz run at the moment, yet I have always been a firm supporter of their products and talked a few friends into buying them, as the case would be theirs are still working fine. May be I just had a bad run. anything you guys can think of that i should try that may kick the tuners back into operation. really don't feel like spending the money to upgrade to the U4 simply because i have had another fault.

Cheers
Wayne

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 Tuners have failed won't tune and can't find any DTV channels

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 03, 2018 20:38

Possibly a voltage regulator problem taking out either one tuner pair (A/B), or both (C/D too).
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11565&p=157364#p157364
Test it by feeding the antenna into tuner C - scan now, do you get a service?
Mark/warkus can fix it for you - http://www.decisivecomputersolutions.co ... ntact.html

Grincais
Apprentice

Post by Grincais » Thu May 03, 2018 20:52

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Grincais
Apprentice

Post by Grincais » Thu May 03, 2018 21:19

Grumpy ! Looks like you nailed it. Tuner A + B dead tuner C + D still working. Problem is for me to post it away to fix is probably going to cost half as much as it would be to upgrade to a bare bones U4. Having purchased 2 Beyonwiz units that have failed within the last few years. I seem to get about 2 years service before they fail on me. Do I want to go down that road again? Looks like I have some thinking to do.

Cheers WAYNE

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu May 03, 2018 21:30

Contact Mark, I don't think the courier costs will be too expensive. Possibly you can send just the mainboard.
Where do you live?, as there's also NASA Electronics in Fairfield, Sydney,

Grincais
Apprentice

Post by Grincais » Thu May 03, 2018 21:45

In Bendigo Vic but I may have a solution, a friend is an electronics tech, now I have read what the replacement parts are I will have a chat to him tomorrow and see if he can change them out. Thanks so much for your help at least I know what the issue is now.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu May 03, 2018 23:10

Grincais wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 21:19
I seem to get about 2 years service before they fail on me.
Looks like I have some thinking to do.
I suspect that inadequate cooling will be the root cause of your issues. If you are keeping your Beyonwizes in an enclosed cabinet or have any obstructions (such as a shelf) within 10cm of the top or rear of the unit, you will slowly cook the insides.

Once you get your T4 repaired, make sure that you install the 17.5 firmware, which has improved fan control. You may want to set the fan speed to maximum for normal operation and 50% or faster for standby, to help with cooling.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Grincais
Apprentice

Post by Grincais » Fri May 04, 2018 09:31

Thanks Peter, Its on a Glass shelf with open ends and front and approx. 9 inches above the unit. There is a back on the cabinet but free flowing air around the unit on three sides. I will give your Fan Speed trick a go. I have managed to isolate the pair of receivers that have blown and at least have a two Receiver setup now that's working. I'll keep an eye out for Refurbished Bare Bones U4s when they come up and might upgrade, depends on the cost to fix the T4. today i'll check with Consumer Affairs about any advice they may have and take it from their.

Cheers
Wayne

Grincais
Apprentice

Post by Grincais » Mon May 07, 2018 18:39

all good guys, the great staff at Beyonwiz have are looking after the issue.

Thanks for your great customer Service

regards
Wayne

Return to “Hardware Discussion”