DLNA: some mp4 extensions on NAS renamed m3u by T4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

MrAstro
Apprentice

DLNA: some mp4 extensions on NAS renamed m3u by T4

Post by MrAstro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:07

Hi All,

I'm very new to this forum and I've just purchased a Bare Bones T4 which I have installed a 1.5 TB drive.

I have a Synology NAS that I store my media files on.

So here's the issue:

Today I encoded some mp4 files and I went into the server folder via DLNA on the T4.

Some of the mp4 files on the NAS are displaying as unplayable M3U files on on the T4 (even though they are really mp4 file extensions on the server).

As I look at the files the only common thread I see is that it is the larger files in excess of 3gb that are displaying this way. So maybe that is part of the problem - but why that is a problem for the T4 I'm not sure.

The files show up on my blu ray player as Mp4 files under DLNA and play fine.

Does anyone have any insight they can share with me as to why this is happening?

Thanks heaps

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: DLNA: some mp4 extensions on NAS renamed m3u by T4

Post by MrQuade » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:19

I don't know the answer to your actual question, but I will respond by saying that you are far better off accessing your NAS by using Samba or NFS if you can.

DLNA is a good idea executed very poorly by just about every manufacturer that I have come across.

It looks as if another user has seen this issue as well:
http://beyonwiz.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8869
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

MrAstro
Apprentice

Post by MrAstro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:24

MrQuade wrote:I don't know the answer to your actual question, but I will respond by saying that you are far better off accessing your NAS by using Samba or NFS if you can.

DLNA is a good idea executed very poorly by just about every manufacturer that I have come across.

Great idea thanks. I will try those methods on your recommendation - I don't think the Blu Ray player uses those methods so I've never explored them.

MrAstro
Apprentice

Post by MrAstro » Fri Aug 28, 2015 14:46

MrQuade wrote:I don't know the answer to your actual question, but I will respond by saying that you are far better off accessing your NAS by using Samba or NFS if you can.

Just for anyone who reads this thread in the future I would like to report that MrQuade was absolutely right. A mount point (in my case CFS) fixed all the DLNA playback issues with the large file size I reported - well I mean fixed the playback issues using a method other than DLNA that is.... All my files on the NAS now stream really well.

Thanks MrQuade if you are out there :D

Return to “Content, Formats & Media Playback”