T3 Plugin for playing DVD files

Moderators: Gully, peteru

davids075

T3 Plugin for playing DVD files

Post by davids075 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 19:46

Can anyone advise if there is a DVDs file player plugin?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T3 Plugin for playing DVD files

Post by MrQuade » Sun Feb 01, 2015 19:52

The T3 can play iso files right out of the box, but can be a bit hit and miss according to those who have tried a few different folks.

In not sure if there is a silicotic plugin that improved the existing functionality though.

This question should probably have been posted to the T3 specific area. A mod may move it later.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Feb 01, 2015 19:57

MrQuade wrote:This question should probably have been posted to the T3 specific area. A mod may move it later.
A mod has done that already. :D

And to add to the response playing ripped DVD files, ie VIDEO_TS is fine in fact better than iso images.
Cheers
Gully

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:00

Gully wrote:
And to add to the response playing ripped DVD files, ie VIDEO_TS is fine in fact better than iso images.
I can second that ISO images are hit and miss - especially if you still have menus. Menu less seems to be less problematic.

I have been playing M4V files from my NAS and they have been fine...so far
3TB T3 on 4.4.20160729FW
DP-P1 on .320FW & life support...

osc.wilde
Apprentice

Post by osc.wilde » Wed Oct 07, 2015 16:31

Gully wrote:
MrQuade wrote:This question should probably have been posted to the T3 specific area. A mod may move it later.
Hmmmm....

My experience has been less fruitful with VIDEO_TS.
Is there a fixed structure / no "extras" (such as metadata or "background" images etc. from scrapers) set of rules that affects performance / behaviour?

Fundamentally, I had a WDTV Live Hub that contained a bunch of DVDs for the kids (with menus).
The controller for the internal drive developed a fault - so I copied the contents of the WDTV drive across to my Synology NAS. The DVD/VIDEO_TS folders contain a bunch of "extras" added by the WDTV scrapers.
The WDTV LIve Hub still functions (after a fashion) and can read/play these files over the network, but it occasionally loses all network settings, requiring me to re-enter log-in details/set up file paths etc. and annoying various family members in the process. I suspect it's destined for the trash soon....so....
I want to use the T4 to do this job, but when I browse to the NAS (using T4 media player) - I can only see 2 files within the VIDEO_TS folder (the initial TS file and usually an IFO file). If I use file commander, I can see all files, and can launch them, but can't access the "DVD" menu items (despite launching the appropriate TS file). TS video files play, but not in sequence.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction / enlighten me as to any requirements that need to be met to ensure playback/performance that works like a DVD, inclusive of menus.
I should point out that many films on the NAS are ripped as mkvs and these work fine on the T4. Where I can rip as a single file, I do.
For the ones I've ripped as straight DVD copies - these are generally documentaries (for my Dinosaur obsessed son) with multiple episodes per disc. Some episodes are split across multiple TS files, so it's not a one file = one episode scenario - hence the desire/requirement to stick with/play back a "standard" DVD structure - where an episode can be chosen/played from the DVD menu.

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Oct 07, 2015 16:54

We might need more details on what you are doing and also maybe how you created and named the DVD rips but essentially just entering the VIDEO_TS folder should start the DVD/menu without any further action.

Shouldn't matter what the VIDEO_TS folder is called in my experience.

So you shouldn't need to select any files and yes should be using Media player not File commander.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 17:11

osc.wilde wrote:...
I want to use the T4 to do this job, but when I browse to the NAS (using T4 media player) - I can only see 2 files within the VIDEO_TS folder (the initial TS file and usually an IFO file). ...
There's a problem right there. The Movie Player (MEDIA from live TV) shouldn't allow you to navigate inside a VIDEO_TS directory or a directory that has a VIDEO_TS.IFO file in it. It should play the directory as a DVD if you click OK on the directory instead of displaying its contents.

The folder name and file name are case sensitive: they have to be exactly those characters.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

osc.wilde
Apprentice

Post by osc.wilde » Thu Oct 08, 2015 13:31

Peter, Gully,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
There was a bunch of ancillary crap in the folders and the WDTV created a further sub-folder (named after the title of the DVD) which it used to house the IFO, VOB etc. files directly - replacing the VIDEO_TS folder in the process. This works fine for the WDTV "Media Library", but not for the T4.
Renaming to VIDEO_TS (and some housekeeping/moving files up the hierarchy) has this all working perfectly - although one DVD had problems with intermittent audio. I am re-ripping as we speak, so hopefully this will resolve the problem with this title.

So...my thanks once again. Enjoy knocking the top off of those cold, frosty virtual beers I just sent you. :wink:

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Oct 08, 2015 14:05

My pleasure and looking forward to the beers. Cheers. :D
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 08, 2015 16:35

Gully wrote:My pleasure and looking forward to the beers. Cheers. :D
Likewise. :D