Streaming on a Mac

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Trembler

Streaming on a Mac

Post by Trembler » Sat Jun 21, 2014 22:34

Hi there,

I have tested this T3 on my PC and streaming TV and recordings worked well.

I have now taken the T3 and installed it at another house. Here they use MAC.

I cannot get the streaming to work - when I click an icon in the Open Webif GUI iTunes opens and attempts to play the stream.

Of course this doesn't work at all well.

I am not a MAC user (nor even a fan), can anyone suggest a fix for this.

Thanks…

PS. I would also seek assistance to get it to play on the iPads here.

Thank you.
Beyonwiz Lite, P2, T3.

Antenna and Home Theatre - Installation, training and support.

scotty
Master

Re: Streaming on a Mac

Post by scotty » Sat Jun 21, 2014 22:53

Hi Trembler,

Try VLC on the Mac and Blackbox on the iPad.

Scotty
T3 - 2TB WD Purple, Logitech Harmony Smart Control
T2 - 60GB Patriot Blaze SSD, Logitech Harmony One
IceTV

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Sat Oct 25, 2014 15:29

Hi
I have VLC on my Mac but when I click on the streaming icon a file saves to my downloads folder and iTunes automatically starts up. Any suggestions?
Thanks

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Oct 26, 2014 00:46

REDark wrote:Any suggestions?
From what I hear something called "Boot Camp" tends to help. No idea what it is.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Chuckles
Master

Post by Chuckles » Sun Oct 26, 2014 01:19

Boot Camp is the facility to install a second operating system on a Mac - typically Windows.

Whilst Boot Camp is quite slick, its not the solution here.

The Boot Camp utility will allow you to create a partition on the HDD, assist with installing the OS and, for Windows, provide hardware drivers to suit the Mac hardware and provide a degree of interoperability between the two systems (e.g. provides a read-only file system driver for Windows to read the Mac partition; OS X get read/write access to the Windows partition - if that partition isn't being used in a running VM at the time, see below).

As the Mac is booting, if you hold down the Option (a.k.a. Alt) key you will get a graphical menu of boot partitions to choose from - e.g. the OS X partition, the Windows partition and (usually) an OS X recovery partition.

Within both OS X and Windows, the Boot Camp utility will allow you to select which partition should be the default boot system for the Mac.

If you have VMware Fusion or Parallels installed on OS X you have the option of creating a VM under OS X which will boot from the Boot Camp (Windows) partition. Thus, you can run under OS X normally, with a VM version of Windows or, if at some point you need to do something under Windows which requires all (or most) of the hardware resources, you can re-boot into the Windows OS running natively on the hardware. This means you don't have to maintain two different Windows instances with two sets of installed software to cater for the two different running modes (VM or running natively on the hardware), avoiding twice the patching, twice the diskspace consumption, etc.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Oct 26, 2014 01:51

Right.

So the trick here is to install a Mac OS X player, like a VLC or mplayer port. If you find that none of the Mac apps work well enough (unlikely, but not impossible) you have the option of using Boot Camp to boot your Apple hardware into Windows and then using the same Windows apps that other people had success with.

I suspect that finding a Mac OS X player will be easier than making your Mac run Windows and then installing third party apps.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 09:06

VLC on my Mac streams from my T3 in OS X 10.9.5, so Boot Camp+Windows isn't necessary for that. It takes 10-15 sec to find the T3 DLNA server and download its list of available media. Than I can play the media normally. I have the old OS X addon for MPEG playback; I don't know if that's necessary these days. It cost ~$30 IIRC.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:00

Have managed to stream the picture using VLC but can't get any audio.
All of the various audio controls and inputs seem to be ok but nothing comes out.
Cheers

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:03

Audio problem seems to have solved itself.
Thanks

mccauleyg
On probation

Post by mccauleyg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 21:20

To stream the recordings and live Tv seamlessly using OpenWebif via Safari on a mac you'll need to associate the files with extension .m3u to the vlc player. This can be done by using GetInfo on a .m3u file (open your downloads folder to find a file) and change the "open with" default to VLC ( as opposed to iTunes). Make sure you select change all.

Now when you click on an EPG stream or a recording it will open VLC automatically.

Return to “Content, Formats & Media Playback”