moving files to an external hard drive

Moderators: Gully, peteru

REDark
Apprentice

moving files to an external hard drive

Post by REDark » Sat May 27, 2023 11:42

Hi
My T3 is about to die and I'd like to move everything I've recorded to a hard drive.
I have a My Passport for Mac and I don't seem to be able to move anything on to it.
I have no problem moving files to a usb stick so I know how the process works so I'm wondering if it's the type of external drive I'm trying to use that's the problem?
Is there any reason it shouldn't work?

In case it's useful I'm attaching photo of the message I get when I plug the drive in - not sure why it's showing two things in the front usb slot.

Thanks
Lynne
Attachments
IMG_5482.jpeg

prl
Wizard God

Re: moving files to an external hard drive

Post by prl » Sat May 27, 2023 15:46

I'd guess from the two volume names shown that the HDD was formatted on a MacOS, and that the two volumes on the HDD (one of which is not shown when the HDD is mounted on a Mac) are formatted as Mac HFS+.

It's a bit unclear exactly what's in the Boot OS X folder. If you open MENU>Information>Devices, what does it show for the sizes of the EFI and Boot OS X volumes?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Sun May 28, 2023 11:22

Hi
The Boot OXS folder has been renamed 'My Passport for Mac' because I erased the disk to remove the password that was on it in case that was an issue (hasn't made a difference).
But attached is the info from Menu/devices

Thanks
Lynne
Attachments
IMG_5484.jpeg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 28, 2023 12:53

You should be able to navigate into the My Passport for Mac folder and then to the destination folder you want to use when you're asked to "Choose copy [or move] directory" when you do a Copy or Move.

Is that not working for some reason?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Sun May 28, 2023 13:22

When I select My Passport as the destination it expands into the below pic

When I press the yellow copy button nothing happens - the info button 'task list' shows as empty

I've just noticed that I'm using Version 17.5 - I thought I was getting online updates but there appears to be a 19.3?
But some links for 19.3 take me to a Norton site in Russian?? Some foreign language anyway - is 19.3 real?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5487.jpeg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 28, 2023 15:59

REDark wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 13:22
When I select My Passport as the destination it expands into the below pic

When I press the yellow copy button nothing happens - the info button 'task list' shows as empty

Do you want to copy the whole recordings, or just the recording data files? If you want to copy the whole recording so that it can be played on your T3 in the same way as the recording is played from the internal HDD, then it's far simpler to use the Copy function in the media selection screen (MEDIA from live TV) than in the File Commander (MENU>Sources / Files). In the media selection screen you can copy using either MENU>Copy or long-press GREEN. A Beyonwiz recording is a set of 6 files.
REDark wrote:
I've just noticed that I'm using Version 17.5 - I thought I was getting online updates but there appears to be a 19.3?

The upgrade from the 17.5 firmware series to the 19.3 series was never an online upgrade. 17.5 and 19.3 represent firmware series, not releases, even though it doesn't look like that in MENU>Information>About.
REDark wrote:
But some links for 19.3 take me to a Norton site in Russian?? Some foreign language anyway - is 19.3 real?

The domain name registration for the Beyonwiz feeds server was allowed to lapse, and the registration was grabbed by cybersquatters. You can get the latest 19.3 series release as a USB upgrade here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=14964 However, you have to use the appropriate link in the list under the red heading: Alternative locations, while the beyonwiz.org domain is off-line

It may be worthwhile upgrading before you copy, if you decide to copy using the media selection screen, because I don't think that the 17.5 series firmware allows multiple-select to copy, while newer 19.3 firmware has that capability.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

REDark
Apprentice

Post by REDark » Mon May 29, 2023 16:07

Hi
I've done the update which is something! Still no luck with copying to the hard drive but I'm sending the machine off for repairs now.
Thanks for your help.
Lynne

Return to “Content, Formats & Media Playback”