No resume point created for media files

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

No resume point created for media files

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 14:40

raymondjpg wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 13:58
...This is probably not the time or place, but my major beef with this latest set of Beyonwiz PVRs is I cannot find any option to set automatic resume play from last position on files, other than recordings made by the PVR. Even that is not set as a general option, one has to choose each time between two options presented by the PVR.

"Recording and playback" settings ... "Behaviour when a movie is started" (help prompt: "Choose the behaviour when movie playback is started.").
Available options:
"Ask user (with default as 'yes')" (the default)
"Ask user (with default as 'no')"
"Resume from last position"
"Start from the beginning"

Works fine for me, automatically resuming play for both recordings and Channel BT files.

prl
Wizard God

Re: U4 Webif playback no scrollbar

Post by prl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:15

I just tested resume on a .mp4 file, and it worked just as I'd expect.

There are some subtleties about resume:
  • If the directory containing a recording or .ts file, and the recording's (or .ts file's) .cuts file are writable, the resume point will be stored in the recording metadata. This resume point is associated with the recording, not with the machine it was played on.
  • For both recordings (and .ts file) and other media files, the resume point is saved in /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl. This resume point is specific to the machine the recording was played on.
  • When a recording, .ts file or other media file is played, the resume point is searched for first in the .cuts file, and if not found there (or if the .cuts file doesn't exist), the resume point for the item will be taken from /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl if the item has a resume point there.
Also, the recording or file needs to be seekable (i.e. skip needs to work on it) for a resume point to work. That should be the case for all recordings and for most media files. It typically won't be the case for streamed media (though because DLNA is treated like a file system, it should work for files streamed using DLNA, or it did for the one I just tried :)).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:35

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 14:40

"Recording and playback" settings ... "Behaviour when a movie is started" (help prompt: "Choose the behaviour when movie playback is started.").
Available options:
"Ask user (with default as 'yes')" (the default)
"Ask user (with default as 'no')"
"Resume from last position"
"Start from the beginning"

Works fine for me, automatically resuming play for both recordings and Channel BT files.

Thanks. That certainly works for recordings made by the Wiz, but not for files from mounted network sources. As I said, I'm pretty sure that a resume play option could be set for the latter in the DP-P2.

I was able to set the "Recording and playback" settings from the Webif interface. When I found that this option only worked for TV recordings I eventually found the option in the PVR GUI under TV|Recording settings.

If you know of an option lurking somewhere to apply this to files played from mounted network sources, please sing out!
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:50

raymondjpg wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:35
Thanks. That certainly works for recordings made by the Wiz, but not for files from mounted network sources. As I said, I'm pretty sure that a resume play option could be set for the latter in the DP-P2.

As I stated, it works for me on downloaded media, here's the resume entry for such a file -

Code: Select all

root@beyonwizu4:/etc/enigma2# strings resumepoints.pkl | grep S09E01
eUt4097:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:/media/autofs/NAS/Geoff/Hawaii Five-0/Hawaii.Five-0.2010.S09E01.720p.HDTV.x265-MiNX[eztv].mkv]q
root@beyonwizu4:/etc/enigma2#

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:56

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 15:50
As I stated, it works for me on downloaded media, here's the resume entry for such a file -

root@beyonwizu4:/etc/enigma2# strings resumepoints.pkl | grep S09E01
eUt4097:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:/media/autofs/NAS/Geoff/Hawaii Five-0/Hawaii.Five-0.2010.S09E01.720p.HDTV.x265-MiNX[eztv].mkv]q
root@beyonwizu4:/etc/enigma2#

Similarly for a .mp4 file:

root@beyonwizu4:~# strings /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl | grep mp4
eUA4097:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:/media/hdd/movie/proof.us.107.hdtv-lol.mp4]q
root@beyonwizu4:~# 
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:05

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
As I stated, it works for me on downloaded media...

If by downloaded media you mean files played from mounted network sources, then I will have to investigate further why it is not working for me. I have tried mkv, ts and flv files and all return to play from start after stopping.

Possibly something to do with permissions, although I know not what.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:10

I was able to play, stop and resume a U4 recording copied to a Windows share.

Do the progress icons/progress bars work correctly for the recordings that you can't resume that are on shares?

This is getting rather off-topic and would probably be better off in a new topic.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:13

raymondjpg wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:05
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
As I stated, it works for me on downloaded media...

If by downloaded media you mean files played from mounted network sources, then I will have to investigate further why it is not working for me. I have tried mkv, ts and flv files and all return to play from start after stopping.

Possibly something to do with permissions, although I know not what.

For media files other than .ts, no write permission on the file or its directory is required. All that's required is the ability to create and modify /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl. The case for .ts is more complicated, but that should work, too.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:22

prl wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:10
I was able to play, stop and resume a U4 recording copied to a Windows share.

Do the progress icons/progress bars work correctly for the recordings that you can't resume that are on shares?

This is getting rather off-topic and would probably be better off in a new topic.

I am talking about files from mounted network sources that were not created by the U4.

Agreed it might be better off in a new topic. As far as I can tell the resume option is only working on material recorded by the PVR. My resumepoints.pkl file only has one entry, the U4 created recording that I was able to resume from last stopped position after making the
"Recording and playback" settings referred to earlier. There are no entries for any of the files from mounted network sources that were not created by the U4.

As far as I can tell CUTS files are created in the PVR Movie directory, so are CUTS files intended to be created in directories that are mounted network sources, say a NAS? If so, then it may be a permissions issue.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:35

The resumepoints file will be "cleaned up" if a mount point becomes unavailable. prl will be able to elaborate on that a bit more though.

Does that sound like something thta might happen on your network. Are any of these shares pointing to locations that may not be available 24/7?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:36

prl wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:13
All that's required is the ability to create and modify /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl.

I think that's the key. For some reason, and the way I have mounted my shares, it doesn't look like they are able to create and modify /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:42

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:35
The resumepoints file will be "cleaned up" if a mount point becomes unavailable. prl will be able to elaborate on that a bit more though.

Does that sound like something thta might happen on your network. Are any of these shares pointing to locations that may not be available 24/7?

It does happen, mount points become unavailable not because the file server is down but because the networked PC Server/Computer Browser services need to be refreshed now and then. However, even after doing this I cannot get files to resume from last stopped position. It's beginning to look more like inability to create and modify /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:34

raymondjpg wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:42
It does happen, mount points become unavailable not because the file server is down but because the networked PC Server/Computer Browser services need to be refreshed now and then. However, even after doing this I cannot get files to resume from last stopped position. It's beginning to look more like inability to create and modify /etc/enigma2/resumepoints.pkl.
What I am suggesting though, is if the Wiz checks for the file availability, and sees that the file no longer exists (or the mount point has vanished), then the resumepoint wil be deleted. At least I think that's how it goes....prl may have programmed in something a bit more clever.

If this was the case, then you would see resumpoints being created, but then some indeterminate time later, the resume points will be forgotten again.

Or are you saying that the second you quit playback, you can see that no resumepoint was created at all?

blip
Master

Post by blip » Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:40

If the files are being played using the file manager (Sources/Files from the main menu) then resume points aren't set.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:50

blip wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:40
If the files are being played using the file manager (Sources/Files from the main menu) then resume points aren't set.

Ahh, yep, just tested that and found the same. Well done :)

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:18

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:50
blip wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 17:40

Ahh, yep, just tested that and found the same. Well done :)

I guess that explains that. So how can I access videos on shares mounted from a Windows 7 file server, other than from the file manager? For example, your Hawaii.Five-0 file which did create a resume point?

Alternatively, is the facility for files that are being played using the file manager to create resume points, something that can be tweaked in firmware?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:39

raymondjpg wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:18
I guess that explains that. So how can I access videos on shares mounted from a Windows 7 file server, other than from the file manager? For example, your Hawaii.Five-0 file which did create a resume point?
You were using file manager?? Well that does explain it indeed.

If you press the button associated with the "Location" function in the Media Player (YELLOW button by default), then it will display a popup with all your mount points. That's the way you access your network mounts from the normal Media Player interface.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:49

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:39
raymondjpg wrote:
You were using file manager?? Well that does explain it indeed.

If you press the button associated with the "Location" function in the Media Player (YELLOW button by default), then it will display a popup with all your mount points. That's the way you access your network mounts from the normal Media Player interface.

I'd need to have a much higher geekworthiness score to find my way around all these options. I'll certainly try it, once a recording has finished. At this point I have somehow locked up the PVR by trying to play a file from the right hand side of the file commander. The video bombed out, leaving me with "Live TV" and no options menu. Looks like a reboot will be necessary.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 20:39

raymondjpg wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:49
...At this point I have somehow locked up the PVR by trying to play a file from the right hand side of the file commander. The video bombed out, leaving me with "Live TV" and no options menu. Looks like a reboot will be necessary.

Try pressing EXIT a few times.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 21:12

raymondjpg wrote:
...So how can I access videos on shares mounted from a Windows 7 file server, other than from the file manager? For example, your Hawaii.Five-0 file which did create a resume point?

MrQuade has given you YELLOW/Location to access the shares.
The long way is to navigate the media selection list back from /media/hdd/movie directory through /media/hdd through to /media, then through /media/autofs and down to your share /media/autofs/{share}.

By default, the TV button (TV/RADIO on a U4 remote) is mapped to the home directory /media/hdd/movie, so if you're in a share and want to quickly return to your recordings directory you can simply press TV.

If you mainly play from one share, then you can re-assign YELLOW to directly go to that particular share when in the media selection list - to configure it, from the media selection list press MENU>>Settings to bring up the Movie List Actions screen, then on the third screen change the action associated with YELLOW (or any other assignable button really) to be 'GoTo: {share}' (keep pressing LEFT or RIGHT to scroll through the list of options until you get to your bookmarked share).
You can associate long-YELLOW with Location to provide the original popup selection facility.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 22:05

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 20:39
Try pressing EXIT a few times.

No go I'm afraid, possibly because the PVR is busy with a number of recordings this evening. I can at least put the PVR into standby.

Looks like a GUI restart or reboot tomorrow, when I'll explore all of those Yellow button options.

Regards

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 22:53

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 16:35

Indeed I can - simply to say that it was once correct, but has not been so since September 2016, when the resume points saved in resumepoints.pkl became an LRU-replacement cache with default maximum size 1000. It remembers the last 1000 resume points that have been used. If that isn't enough, it can be set up to 5000 entries in MEDIA, MENU>Settings>Size of resume point cache.

There is no longer any mechanism to remove items from the cache because they are not on-line.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 21:12
MrQuade has given you YELLOW/Location to access the shares.
The long way is to navigate the media selection list back from /media/hdd/movie directory through /media/hdd through to /media, then through /media/autofs and down to your share /media/autofs/{share}.

By default, the TV button (TV/RADIO on a U4 remote) is mapped to the home directory /media/hdd/movie, so if you're in a share and want to quickly return to your recordings directory you can simply press TV.

If you mainly play from one share, then you can re-assign YELLOW to directly go to that particular share when in the media selection list - to configure it, from the media selection list press MENU>>Settings to bring up the Movie List Actions screen, then on the third screen change the action associated with YELLOW (or any other assignable button really) to be 'GoTo: {share}' (keep pressing LEFT or RIGHT to scroll through the list of options until you get to your bookmarked share).
You can associate long-YELLOW with Location to provide the original popup selection facility.

The YELLOW Location popup will also list the top level folders of all mounted shares (and will most likely have a number or colour button shortcut buttons to them). The popup will also contain quick access entries (also with shortcut buttons) to all directories where you've recently played recordings or media.

If you want File Commander-like navigation in the media selection screen (MEDIA from live TV), then YELLOW Location>Other will do that for you.

All up, IMO the media selection screen has better navigation capabilities than the File Commander, once you're used to it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dRdoS7
Wizard

Re: No resume point created for media files

Post by dRdoS7 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 15:43

Hi,

I usually create shortcuts/links (via Sources/Files) in "movie" to enable access to shared folders, saves pressing any buttons to bring up a list.

dRdoS7

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Oct 30, 2018 15:50

dRdoS7 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 15:43
I usually create shortcuts/links (via Sources/Files) in "movie" to enable access to shared folders, saves pressing any buttons to bring up a list.
That may be false economy, which is not to say it is a wrong way to do it of course.

You still need to a) navigate to the location where the shortcuts reside (Home button presumably), then b) navigate to the shortcut you want to select it.
That's as opposed to a) pressing (or long-pressing) the "Locations" button, then pressing the number corresponding to the location you want (or navigating to it and selecting it).

Seems not really much of a difference to me.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Oct 30, 2018 15:56

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 15:50
dRdoS7 wrote:
That may be false economy, which is not to say it is a wrong way to do it of course.

You still need to a) navigate to the location where the shortcuts reside (Home button presumably), then b) navigate to the shortcut you want to select it.
That's as opposed to a) pressing (or long-pressing) the "Locations" button, then pressing the number corresponding to the location you want (or navigating to it and selecting it).

Plus the media selection list display is delayed if a symbolically linked share is offline.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Oct 30, 2018 18:56

My preferred option is simply to use the Yellow button to show a list of mounts, I have quite a few, and to select one of those. Using the exit button returns me to Live TV. Using the Media button returns me to the mount I selected previously. Using the TV/Radio button returns me to the TV recordings listings, as Grumpy_Geoff pointed out previously.

Resume points are now working for all locally recorded and networked media. Thanks to all for the assists.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 22:00

Hi,
MrQuade wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 15:50
dRdoS7 wrote:

I'll let you explain that to my wife! :)

dRdoS7

Return to “Content, Formats & Media Playback”