T4 - Cant get subtitles working on media

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mattgrechie

T4 - Cant get subtitles working on media

Post by mattgrechie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 14:57

Hi

i have a t4, and i can get subtitles working on TV no problems, but when i try it on any media it doesnt work. i get subtitles not available for this kind of media. somtimes i can get the subtitle to load, but it appears as though im looking at a txt file, not sure how to make this display as normal subtitles do.

i have looked through teh forums, but im not really understanding what is being discussed that well. i have also looked in the manual, but the options appear to be out of date as i cant seem to follow some steps from the manual.

is there a document which outlines my options for displaying subtitles please ? id really like to understand what options are out there and see which one works for me.

happy to setup a plex or xbmc server if this is one of them.

Kind regards

Matt

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 - Cant get subtitles working on media

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jul 18, 2017 15:43

The media player software in the Beyonwiz T series only understands the .srt style subtitles, and cannot interpret .sub/.idx style subtitles.

It may be that your media files use the image-based (from DVD) .sub/.idx style subtitles.

This is discussed most recently in this thread, along with some potential solutions for you.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

mattgrechie

Post by mattgrechie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 15:49

Hi

i have tried srt files as well. this is how i was able to get the srt file to display on the screen. i dont know how to make it display like a normal subtitle, instead of having the entire srt file displayed.

cheers

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jul 18, 2017 15:55

mattgrechie wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 15:49
i have tried srt files as well. this is how i was able to get the srt file to display on the screen. i dont know how to make it display like a normal subtitle, instead of having the entire srt file displayed.
Your .srt file must have been corrupted or something. A properly formatted one should work as expected.
As long as the external .srt file has *exactly* the same name as the media file, it will be detected by the media player. Internal .srt type subtitles will work too. You can then press AUDIO to toggle between the various subtitle tracks, or long-press AUDIO to get the audio menu.

Can you maybe provide a sample of the .srt file you have?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Jul 18, 2017 16:00

mattgrechie wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 15:49

Don't play the .srt file, play the media file. As long as the .srt file is named the same as the media file it'll be picked up.

mattgrechie

Post by mattgrechie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 16:06

Hi

thanks so much for your help. the name was all good, there was some weird characters in the srt file so i downloaded another one and it worked.

its weird though as i tried this on many different media files. either way, its working now, so thanks again.

Kind regards

Matt

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Tue Jul 18, 2017 19:36

If you preview the SRT in Notepad++ and go to encoding select Convert to ANSI and that should fix any odd characters from a different character set.
You may possibly lose music symbols if there happens to be lyrics to a song, generally replaced at the beginning of the lyrics with a # rather than a note etc. If the subs are SDH for hard of hearing SRT and you just need the words rather than a description you can easily get rid of them in Subtitle Workshop and press Control I and it will highlight the descriptions and then just select FIX and save.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

mattgrechie

Post by mattgrechie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 19:38

ahh cool ill give that ago, will be much better than redownloading the ones i do have.

your awesome :)

Return to “Content, Formats & Media Playback”