T4 and Web server

Moderators: Gully, peteru

dogfox
Apprentice

T4 and Web server

Post by dogfox » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:52

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if I have posted this query to the wrong forum. If I have, please direct me to the correct forum thanks...

I have finally pulled the trigger and am anxiously awaiting a barebones T4.. :D

In reading all the bits and bobs re new features, it occurred to me that I can possibly use the T4's webserver for my own household purposes. I currently have an Aldi NAS that is doing that job but its getting a bit 'long in the tooth'. Is it really possible that I can have a fully functional web server running 24/7 on the T4?

Could I also have a mySQL package installed as well as cgi support?

Is ther anything special I need to know? How would one install packages and such ?

Thanks in advance

PS Is a WD 2T Purple drive satisfactory?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 and Web server

Post by MrQuade » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:17

The T4 has a web interface for remote configuration.
While it is probably possible to host other custom web pages on the T4, it is probably not a very good idea.

Wrong type of device for that job, your NAS is still more suited to the task.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 13:22

I am using my T4 as an SSH server so I can get into my home remotely, as my SLUG (NSLU2) that I used to use for the purpose PSU went out of spec and the external HDD got corrupted for it as a result (haven't had the time to look at fixing it!), and my home PC isn't always on, and my home old LInux server PSU died and my and my.... dot dot dot..
The Wiz has more RAM than my wifi/router and a HDD, and always on in "standby", so it is doing the job well :)
Tony

dogfox
Apprentice

Post by dogfox » Sat Dec 19, 2015 09:08

Thanks guys..

While I do realize the NAS is the more appropriate device, I am not by any means taxing the Nas now, so the T4 would be able the handle the extra chores. That is until the T4 starts to record 10 streams at once while we are watching a recorded bit and streaming to another tablet, etc 8)

Regarding the latter half of my post... any chance of a mysql server package etc?

Got the 2T WD purple drive.. waiting... waiting.... c'mon Auspost!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Dec 19, 2015 09:30

You can do some web searches for Enigma2 and MySQL to see what others have done with it. I can find plenty of references to running Apache, buy not much on MySQL at all. Only one reference and it was for a PowerPC enigma box (T series is MIPS based).

Even with the powerPC version, the installation instructions I saw looked to require a few steps at the command line and required downloading some packages that weren't in the standard repositories. Not something I would be keen to do every time I flashed a major firmware update.

Id suggest that a cheap single board computer like a raspberry pi would be a better solution for you.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “General Topics”