T2 remote control

Moderators: Gully, peteru

madmax
Wizard

T2 remote control

Post by madmax » Wed Dec 09, 2015 22:46

Just installed a T4 and a T2. :D

My instruction manual for the T2 is missing the 4-digit code page that I need to get the remote to recognise my TV. I have the page that starts with "Merritt" and ends with "Osume" repeated 3 times in a row, then the next page jumps to "Revox/Studer". And of course I have a Panasonic TV. :evil: I downloaded the T2 manual from the Beyonwiz website, but it's an older version that only deals in 3-digit codes, not 4.

Can someone with a recent T2 manual please look up the 4-digit codes list at the back, and list the codes for Panasonic? Hopefully not all the manuals were misprinted like mine.....

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: T2 remote control

Post by MrQuade » Wed Dec 09, 2015 22:54

Have you tried any of the 4 digit codes from the T3 manual?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:53

MrQuade wrote:Have you tried any of the 4 digit codes from the T3 manual?
Aha, yes, they are the same as the T3 manual, thanks. :wink:

So I tried to follow the instructions on p.48-49 for setting up the remote to 'volume-locked' mode and 'master power set', and I couldn't get past the first step "press and hold the STB button for more than 3 seconds" - absolutely nothing happened.

After half an hour of frustration, I flicked through the manual and noticed that the remote they've given me is not like the one pictured in the manual. Mine looks like a T4 remote only without the backlight, whereas the manual shows what looks like a T3 remote. Luckily, I have a prototype T3 remote lying around, so I tried the steps on that, and it works - the remote now powers on both the T2 and TV simultaneously, and the volume keys only change the TV volume so I can leave the T2 volume setting permanently on maximum. This now mimics how my DP-S1 worked, and is exactly what I wanted.

But I can't figure out how to do this with the T2 remote or the T4 remote, can anyone help?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:58

The T2/T4 remote doesn't support Volume locked mode AFAIK.

The T2 remote is essentially just a T4 remote without the backlight as you have noticed.
Mine was a pre-release and I just got a T3 remote with mine, so I haven't been able to play with a proper one unfortunately :(

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:30

MrQuade wrote:The T2/T4 remote doesn't support Volume locked mode AFAIK.
Surely not.... please, someone say it isn't so. :cry: Why would they remove such a useful feature from their flagship model (T4) :?: Manually switching modes is sooooo annoying.

If this is true, I want to return my T2 remote and swap it for a T3. It may be ergonomically inferior with its flat buttons, but it does also have the EPG button in a useful position (why they decided to move it out of reach for the T2/T4 remote is another mystery).

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:30

madmax wrote:If this is true, I want to return my T2 remote and swap it for a T3. It may be ergonomically inferior with its flat buttons, but it does also have the EPG button in a useful position (why they decided to move it out of reach for the T2/T4 remote is another mystery).
You should be able to find a lot of agreement to that sentiment elsewhere on the forum.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:43

Interestingly, on the BW website, the specs for the T3 remote are:

Specifications
Support Models T3-BB, T3-500, T3-1000, T3-2000, T3-4000.

Yet the one I have is happily controlling my T2 and my T4 (separate rooms), despite the T4 manual suggesting that each model uses its own unique code set.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:00

The T3 remote uses a fixed code set 0xabcd. The T2 and T4 remotes can be set to one of the 0x02f<x> sets listed in the manual (they come from the factory set to 0x02f2).

The T2, T3, and T4 respond to all Beyonwiz remote codes as the default setting. This is what you have seen.

You can lock the STBs down so they only respond to 0xabcd (T3 remote) or any of the three supported 0x02f<x> sets supported by the T2/T4 remote. (or two other remote codes sets that are supported by remotes that are not sold as-such).

The manual for the T2/T4 is a bit misleading when it comes to describing what codes are set.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:02

Hi,

You can always use a programmable remote and feed in your own codes. I use a tablet programmed with all the T Series codes but using the T3 layout.

Regards,
Ian.

rfk
Apprentice

Post by rfk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 15:39

"So I tried to follow the instructions on p.48-49 for setting up the remote to 'volume-locked' mode and 'master power set', and I couldn't get past the first step "press and hold the STB button for more than 3 seconds" - absolutely nothing happened."
Well, I'm just setting up my T2 and exactly the same thing is happening - nothing. I'm just trying to set up the remote to control the TV. Panasonic Plasma TV which was controlled by the Tivo remote. TV set to TV input, but nothing happening.
Setup was going well till then. :(

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 16:10

Hi,
rfk wrote:"So I tried to follow the instructions on p.48-49 for setting up the remote to 'volume-locked' mode and 'master power set', and I couldn't get past the first step "press and hold the STB button for more than 3 seconds" - absolutely nothing happened."
Well, I'm just setting up my T2 and exactly the same thing is happening - nothing. I'm just trying to set up the remote to control the TV. Panasonic Plasma TV which was controlled by the Tivo remote. TV set to TV input, but nothing happening.
Setup was going well till then. :(
Are you using the supplied, or downloaded manual? I tried the supplied, with my T2, then when I read the inside front page, I realised the manual was wrong, then I used the D/L'd manual (which make no mention of "volume locked").

dRdoS7

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 11, 2015 16:14

The printed T2 manual remote setup instructions appear to be for some other remote entirely. Do as dRdoS7 suggests and use the downloaded T2 manual. Everywhere in the remote setup instructions where it says "T4", read "T2". Ignore what it says about backlighting.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

rfk
Apprentice

Post by rfk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 17:37

Thanks both for those comments. I figured out some of those issues (and had a deal of luck and many imaginative button presses) and now have the remote working for each of TV and STB but I can't use the remote to switch between the two. Having to use the TV remote for that. Which is just what I didn't want in a new PVR.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 11, 2015 17:49

rfk wrote:... I ... now have the remote working for each of TV and STB but I can't use the remote to switch between the two. ...
Do you mean that you can't use the T2 remote to switch the TV between using the T2 as its input and using its own tuners as its input?

The T2 only has a limited number of its buttons active in TV mode (they're listed in the manual), and there isn't an "input select" button anyway.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rfk
Apprentice

Post by rfk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 17:55

prl wrote:
rfk wrote:... I ... now have the remote working for each of TV and STB but I can't use the remote to switch between the two. ...
Do you mean that you can't use the T2 remote to switch the TV between using the T2 as its input and using its own tuners as its input?

The T2 only has a limited number of its buttons active in TV mode (they're listed in the manual), and there isn't an "input select" button anyway.
Yes, I Did mean that the T2 remote won't switch the TV between TV and the T2. The Tivo does. Am I doing something wrong (most likely) or is there no other way than using the TV remote or buying a different one?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 11, 2015 18:09

rfk wrote:...
Yes, I Did mean that the T2 remote won't switch the TV between TV and the T2. The Tivo does. Am I doing something wrong (most likely) or is there no other way than using the TV remote or buying a different one?
The only thing you're doing wrong is expecting the T2 remote to do something that it can't do.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rfk
Apprentice

Post by rfk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 18:25

Oh dear. Thanks Peter

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 19:53

Hi,
rfk wrote:Oh dear. Thanks Peter
Buy a Harmony remote, most supplied remotes (BW & Toppy IME), although they can control some aspects of a TV, can't switch inputs. It makes them useless, and I can't understand why they'd bother making it a "feature".

The ones that will usually work, are the ones from the same manufacturer, and use hdmi-cec. Even then, they will switch to an input, but not back to the previous one (Samsung anyway).

The T* series have hdmi-cec, but I've found it only switches the TV on/off, not input, which is good enough for my purposes (mostly). Saves a button press, and if you have a sleep timer set on the T*, it will go to sleep and turn off the TV. Nice. When I turn on the T2, the TV comes on.

dRdoS7.

rfk
Apprentice

Post by rfk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 21:05

Sounds the best thing to do. Any preference for which one?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 11, 2015 21:33

I have a Logitech Harmony 785. I think it does a good job, but they don't make it any more. Sorry.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 21:58

Hi,
rfk wrote:Sounds the best thing to do. Any preference for which one?
I have a 525 & a Touch.

I prefer the 525.

I'd buy similar to 525, if I was going to buy another. Don't like the Touch.

dRdoS7

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Fri Dec 11, 2015 21:58

dRdoS7 wrote:most supplied remotes (BW & Toppy IME), although they can control some aspects of a TV, can't switch inputs. It makes them useless, and I can't understand why they'd bother making it a "feature". Even then, they will switch to an input, but not back to the previous one.
The DP-S1 remote could do all that. It's kind of hard to swallow when you buy a newer model, only to find it has less features than the previous model. We are supposed to be advancing, not going backwards. :evil:

I don't change inputs very often, so I can probably live without the input switching function. But volume control and power control are non-negotiables for me.

BTW, I haven't had a response to my support ticket yet.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 22:07

Hi,
madmax wrote:
dRdoS7 wrote:most supplied remotes (BW & Toppy IME), although they can control some aspects of a TV, can't switch inputs. It makes them useless, and I can't understand why they'd bother making it a "feature". Even then, they will switch to an input, but not back to the previous one.
The DP-S1 remote could do all that. It's kind of hard to swallow when you buy a newer model, only to find it has less features than the previous model. We are supposed to be advancing, not going backwards. :evil:

I don't change inputs very often, so I can probably live without the input switching function. But volume control and power control are non-negotiables for me.

BTW, I haven't had a response to my support ticket yet.
The T2 menu has hdmi-cec options, one is for switching input, but it doesn't work with Sharp or Samsung we have.

My wife only has one device connected to the TV, so it's OK for her.

When testing, I could control the TV volume though. Sadly if I pressed a number button, it changed channel on the TV, then I couldn't change input back to the T2. So I removed the code. That was with the Sharp, I didn't try the Samsung.

dRdoS7

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 11, 2015 22:17

prl wrote:I have a Logitech Harmony 785. I think it does a good job, but they don't make it any more. Sorry.
And mine is the Logitech Harmony Touch which is great but again not a current model. The Ultimate One is current and a similar design though a lot more expensive and IR support as well which I don't have or need.
Cheers
Gully

rfk
Apprentice

Post by rfk » Sat Dec 12, 2015 21:05

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. Now I know how to use the T2 remote to Turn the TV and the PVR on and off separately, and if I leave the TV input set to its PVR input (HDMI1) then I don't need the YV's own remote too often That will have to do me for now as I don't want to have to conquer another remote (e.g. Harmony) whilst I am still discovering how to work this machine. Connecting to PC and its sub-drives next!

Return to “General Topics”