ad
Master

SRT Subtitle tags

Post by ad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 09:40

Am about to purchase the T3 and like to know if this model interprets the;

<b></b> : bold
<i></i> : italic
<u></u> : underline
<font color=”#rrggbb”></font> : text color using 3 color components, red, green and blue.

correctly.

It was always a pity that the original Beyonwiz never implemented the official srt tag format.

Cheers, ad

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: SRT Subtitle tags

Post by peteru » Mon Feb 02, 2015 13:17

I just tested a file that used <i> tags and the text came out in italics. I guess the answer is yes, it's supported.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Feb 02, 2015 15:51

It certainly is for live off air programs. Midsummer Murders uses different colours for the characters.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 16:38

netmask wrote:Midsummer Murders uses different colours for the characters.
There has to be a Prince Philip gaffe in there somewhere....
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Feb 02, 2015 16:51

Paul55 wrote:
Not much chance given all of them are usually white!
Cheers
Gully

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Feb 02, 2015 17:13

If you demux the TS file the srt file will be stripped of all tags, however in ProjectX you can also set it to give you ssa formats subs as well as srt which do have all the colour information.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 18:19

netmask wrote:It certainly is for live off air programs. Midsummer Murders uses different colours for the characters.

The T3 has two different approaches for subtitles. One for broadcast tv where the broadcaster is supposed to use the colours to differentiate between speakers and one for what the T3 calls external files where it uses the srt. There is a setting that describes what happens for each text type and the colour it should be. There was a bug raised for this some time ago as the text in bold or italic was being shown as black text. I think it was fixed.
Beyonwiz T4

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 18:23

Gully wrote:
Paul55 wrote:
Not much chance given all of them are usually white!
Not now that the producer was suspended for saying that the show was successful because it's audience didn't want ethnics.
Beyonwiz T4

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Feb 02, 2015 20:37

simoncasey wrote:Not now that the producer was suspended for saying that the show was successful because it's audience didn't want ethnics.
I know that was the intention but not sure how far the changes have got so far.
Cheers
Gully

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 20:48

Neil Dudgeon's from Yorkshire - that's probably as big a step as we can handle.
Beyonwiz T4

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Feb 02, 2015 21:07

simoncasey wrote:Neil Dudgeon's from Yorkshire - that's probably as big a step as we can handle.
Well that's almost part of the black country. :D
Cheers
Gully

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Feb 03, 2015 03:58

Just to be clear, I actually specifically tested with an external SRT file. I edited the file to contain <i> and <b> tags and they were handled correctly. I didn't try the colour tags, but they are very likely to work too.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 07:52

There was a bug related to this in October that was fixed in a Novemeber firmwate release.

However there is an issue with the settings for external subtitles. The options in the description are for external subtitles to be Alternative, White or Yellow. Alternative used to be the default and would show external subtitles in colours instead of bold, italic etc. This is where the bug was, as that text was appearing black. Alternative is no longer an option in the setting, only White or Yellow.

So we should either reinstate Alternative or update the description or remove the whole setting.
Beyonwiz T4

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 16:33

netmask wrote:If you demux the TS file the srt file will be stripped of all tags, however in ProjectX you can also set it to give you ssa formats subs as well as srt which do have all the colour information.
Also if you use CCExtractorGUI, free from http://www.ccextractor.org/, you can extract a full-featured srt with tags, including colours, from TS files.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Thu Feb 05, 2015 17:00

ccextract was originally designed for North America where they use closed captions in their DVD's etc and personally I find the program to be cluttered with too many set up options for Australian free to air use to simply extract subs. Projectx is really quite straight forward in this regard. Setting it up is easy if you use my X.ini file which I have posted on this site as well as Videohelp.com. The advantage of ssa subs is they can be positioned if you have the need to do so. I guess I am biased since I've been using ProjectX since my early Topfield 5000 days.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 17:12

netmask wrote:ccextract was originally designed for North America where they use closed captions in their DVD's etc and personally I find the program to be cluttered with too many set up options for Australian free to air use to simply extract subs. Projectx is really quite straight forward in this regard. Setting it up is easy if you use my X.ini file which I have posted on this site as well as Videohelp.com. The advantage of ssa subs is they can be positioned if you have the need to do so. I guess I am biased since I've been using ProjectX since my early Topfield 5000 days.
CCExtractorGUI can be used with default options, without touching any of the setup options. The only option I have found the need to tweak is setting split type to individual (unrelated) files when lining up a number of TS files for extracting srt files. To suggest that CCExtractorGUI has "too many setup options" when compared with ProjectX is absurd.

If you want ssa subtitles by all means use ProjectX. CCExtractorGUI works out of the box to produce full-featured srt files.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Thu Feb 05, 2015 18:35

The main advantage ProjectX has is the ability to edit out commercials and maintain subtitle sync in the process. In addition it fixes many transmission errors, although VideoRedo also does this. However if you merely extract the subs from the complete TS file and subsequently edit it you are face with the time consuming effort in resyncing the subs. Editing is almost to the frame with the fine tuning button. There are a number of other programs that can extract subs but thelack of editing is a major drawback IMO
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 19:22

netmask wrote:However if you merely extract the subs from the complete TS file and subsequently edit it you are face with the time consuming effort in resyncing the subs.
No. You don't do that. You edit out what you don't want from the TS, and then extract the subtitles from what is left. Perfectly in sync.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Thu Feb 05, 2015 19:34

Normally if you edit out anything from a TS file the header is changed and you can no longer access subs etc. What program are using to edit the TS file before hand? Personally I will stick to ProjectX as it can access the T3 hardisk directly, edit and transfer to my PC all in one go. Simply "click"!!

CCExtract works like a dream for US DVD's for me but I have never been able to get it to extract files from any local TV TS file either Topfield or Beyonwiz.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 20:24

netmask wrote:What program are using to edit the TS file before hand?
Videoredo. As we have discussed on this forum before.
netmask wrote: Personally I will stick to ProjectX as it can access the T3 hardisk directly, edit and transfer to my PC all in one go. Simply "click"!!
You are welcome to. I am suggesting folks have some alternative to ProjectX where possible.
netmask wrote:CCExtract works like a dream for US DVD's for me but I have never been able to get it to extract files from any local TV TS file either Topfield or Beyonwiz.
I use it routinely for local TV files created by both Topfield and Beyonwiz, as well as pcie and usb tv pc capture devices. That is, with the proviso that processing is done in the PC.

Return to “General Topics”