Recording(s) are in progress or are coming up ....

Moderators: Gully, peteru

kymh
Apprentice

Recording(s) are in progress or are coming up ....

Post by kymh » Mon Nov 17, 2014 08:43

Just about every time I try to shutdown the T3 (4gb HDD) I get the following message:-
Recording(s) are in progress or are coming up in a few seconds!
Really shutdown now?

This will occur even though nothing is set to record for 15 hours.

While there are so many problems with this stinking machine, this one annoys me the most or draws an equal to the constant lock ups.

I'm hoping to hear from someone from beyonwiz on this and not try this and try that from users (no offence) as it is a problem that's a result of the latest firmware.

This machine has had problems since day one - the number of problems are now more apparent than ever.
I wanted to return it immediately but my partner insisted that I was impatient and that "they'd fix it"
Months and months later it's still a total dud.

To add insult to injury, a week ago I get an email "Beyonwiz T3 Refer a friend | You get 25 bucks "
Really??? Refer a Friend???

What the hell is happening???
Regards Kym

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Recording(s) are in progress or are coming up ....

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 17, 2014 09:25

You should really call Beyonwiz support if you want to speak with them directly. You are unlikely to get the support you need from them on this forum, as this is where you go for community support. Though WizHQ will pop up with some helpful advice, so you may be lucky.

Now saying that, I am going to try to provide some advice as a fellow user.

Very sorry you are running into problems. I am running the latest beta firmware and am finding it has very very few issues in my day-to-day use. I am struggling to remember the last time I ever had a crash or lockup.

That being said, I know there are other users who do a lot more skipping around recording/media and timeshifting than I do that are reporting that they get glitches and problems from that (though not to the point of crashing the whole machine).

I would certainly recommend a friend, but not a non-tech savvy friend. I wouldn't advise my parents buy a T3 for example. Some rough edges and lots of the underlying OS poking through that do not gel well with a user who is used to big brand goods.

If you want the best result from support, you would need to specify what seems to cause the most lockups and crashes. What are you doing at the time that it failed? The support guys will have very little hope of helping you with a general report such as the one you have provided here.

As for the rest. From your post, I assume that you are running the latest firmware (as that is what caused the problems). By that I mean, that you will have loaded the latest USB update onto the T3, and then run the online update a couple of times to get the latest patches. Have you tried the betas? The current beta is, in my opinion, much better and more stable than the main release.

Also, are you running any plugins? Some of those can cause issues.

Lastly, When the T3 gives you the upcoming recordings error, can you have a look at the "Tasks" list, and see if there is something (non recording) holding you out. Task list is accessible by going to the file manager (go to your harddisk from the main setup menu), and then press "INFO".
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:52

I had this problem with one of the early firmwares, long since gone away. Even if it is currently or about to record you can safely go to standby anyway.
Maybe you have an autotimer that is scanning? I would start by deleting all your autotimers followed by you timers and then reset your timers and with any autotimers check as to what happens at the end of the recording.

For example I had an autotimer for Foyles War, as it started at 22:30 and went till close to midnight I set it to go to deep standby at the end ie really off. Whereas earlier timers would be set to back to normal etc...
What firmware are you running? That info may be useful.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:01

EPGRefresh can also run recordings.

When this happens, do you get the option to stop recordings when you press REC in live TV? And if you do, and continue on to the stop recordings screen, what does it show?

I don't think that that message is what you get if you have tasks in the task list, but I'm currently re-organising my disk storage, and the HDD with my copy of the T3 source code on it is off line at the moment so I can't check.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 15:29

MrQuade wrote:... As for the rest. From your post, I assume that you are running the latest firmware (as that is what caused the problems). ...
"Latest firmware" is pretty ambiguous. The actual firmware version being used is almost always more useful.

Kymh, exactly which firmware version are you running? The information is in MENU>Information>About>Last Upgrade.
MrQuade wrote:Lastly, When the T3 gives you the upcoming recordings error, can you have a look at the "Tasks" list, and see if there is something (non recording) holding you out. Task list is accessible by going to the file manager (go to your harddisk from the main setup menu), and then press "INFO".
In the code that checks for running and upcoming recordings and checks for running tasks when shutdown is requested, there are two different messages for the two cases: "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up in few seconds!" and "N jobs are running in the background!". "You seem to be in timeshift!" is also a possible warning at this point.

In this case "in a few seconds" means "within 360 seconds", which I think is probably rather more than "a few". Possibly it should say "within the next few minutes".

Anyway, checking the menu for REC from live TV to see if that gives a hint as to what's going in may be useful (see previous post in this topic).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 17:49

They must be long seconds, I've had the message come up doing a reboot 20 minutes before a recording is due to start
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 18:17

tezza007 wrote:They must be long seconds, I've had the message come up doing a reboot 20 minutes before a recording is due to start
Then I'd have the same question for you as for kymh: "When this happens, do you get the option to stop recordings when you press REC in live TV? And if you do, and continue on to the stop recordings screen, what does it show?" Kymh said in the original post that there was no timer recording for another 15 hours when he had the problem.

Were you using EPGRefresh when you had those problems?

The test for 360 seconds is what's in the code. Not all recordings on the T3 are from timers in the timer list. It's exactly that possibility that I've been trying to get feedback from kymh about.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 00:16

prl wrote:
tezza007 wrote:They must be long seconds, I've had the message come up doing a reboot 20 minutes before a recording is due to start
Then I'd have the same question for you as for kymh: "When this happens, do you get the option to stop recordings when you press REC in live TV?
I had no reason to press REC in live TV
prl wrote:Were you using EPGRefresh when you had those problems?
It's always running. I never had any problems, everything went fine
prl wrote:The test for 360 seconds is what's in the code. Not all recordings on the T3 are from timers in the timer list. It's exactly that possibility that I've been trying to get feedback from kymh about.
I only have recordings from the Timer list
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Nov 18, 2014 06:45

Tezza, I am not sure you quite got what prl was asking you to do there.

The next time you get the upcoming recordings message, he wants you to press the record button while you are watching live TV. This will , as you no doubt already know, show a list of any current recordings.

What prl is saying is that epgrefresh is a possible source of your problems here. Because epgrefresh creates its own invisible recording timers, the upcoming recordings message you are setting may be the truly of epgrefresh having become stuck.

He is suggesting that even though you have no timers set to fire for ae hours, there may indeed be one of the invisible epgrefersh ones lurking behind the scenes.

I now from personal experience that when I had the incorrect settings with that plugin, it would get stuck and permanently had good of a tuner. Not I am not suggesting that you are getting that exact same issue since I know you keep an eagle eye on your runner usage and would have spotted that already.

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:57

MrQuade wrote:Tezza, I am not sure you quite got what prl was asking you to do there.
Obviously as I didn't get that he was asking me to do anything at all
MrQuade wrote:The next time you get the upcoming recordings message, he wants you to press the record button while you are watching live TV. This will , as you no doubt already know, show a list of any current recordings.
I've never done that so no, I didnt know that
MrQuade wrote:What prl is saying is that epgrefresh is a possible source of your problems here. Because epgrefresh creates its own invisible recording timers, the upcoming recordings message you are setting may be the truly of epgrefresh having become stuck.
Huh?
MrQuade wrote:He is suggesting that even though you have no timers set to fire for ae hours, there may indeed be one of the invisible epgrefersh ones lurking behind the scenes.
Do these invisible timers result in visible recordings in Media?
MrQuade wrote:I now from personal experience that when I had the incorrect settings with that plugin, it would get stuck and permanently had good of a tuner. Not I am not suggesting that you are getting that exact same issue since I know you keep an eagle eye on your runner usage and would have spotted that already.
It's all set and forget these days, it's running like any commercial product would be expected to
As an aside, did you forget your morning coffee? Your worst post ever as far as far as being able to understand it goes. I only comment on that because it is so unlike you :D
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

Pheonix-Team-vIx
Apprentice

Post by Pheonix-Team-vIx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:17

tezza007 wrote:
MrQuade wrote:What prl is saying is that epgrefresh is a possible source of your problems here. Because epgrefresh creates its own invisible recording timers, the upcoming recordings message you are setting may be the truly of epgrefresh having become stuck.
Huh?
MrQuade wrote:He is suggesting that even though you have no timers set to fire for ae hours, there may indeed be one of the invisible epgrefersh ones lurking behind the scenes.
MrQuade wrote:I now from personal experience that when I had the incorrect settings with that plugin, it would get stuck and permanently had good of a tuner. Not I am not suggesting that you are getting that exact same issue since I know you keep an eagle eye on your runner usage and would have spotted that already.
It's all set and forget these days, it's running like any commercial product would be expected to
As an aside, did you forget your morning coffee? Your worst post ever as far as far as being able to understand it goes. I only comment on that because it is so unlike you :D
There are two kinds of EPG download.

1. from the internet
2. from one of the spare tuners on the receiver.

Now I dont know how you obtain your EPG where you are but if the receiver is using one of the tuner cards to search for and download the EPG data it will basically tie that tuner up as if it were a recording, thats just how Enigma2 handles it. Try disabling the EPG refresh plugin for a couple of days and see of the problem goes away. or better still enable the debug logging feature in the image (assuming one of the devs have not removed it), this will log all button presses and running processes on the image and may help the developers find the cause of your issue.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:18

Sorry, the new keyboard on my phone is atrocious and keeps autocorrecting me. I'll fix it up when I am near a PC.

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:28

Pheonix-Team-vIx wrote:There are two kinds of EPG download.

1. from the internet
2. from one of the spare tuners on the receiver.

Now I dont know how you obtain your EPG where you are but if the receiver is using one of the tuner cards to search for and download the EPG data it will basically tie that tuner up as if it were a recording, thats just how Enigma2 handles it. Try disabling the EPG refresh plugin for a couple of days and see of the problem goes away. or better still enable the debug logging feature in the image (assuming one of the devs have not removed it), this will log all button presses and running processes on the image and may help the developers find the cause of your issue.
What problem? What issue? Whenever it asks me to confirm because there are recordings coming up [usually because I want to empty the trash] I ignore it as it doesn't cause a problem, even if there are recordings actually in progress. As I mentioned previously, the most recent event was because I wanted to reboot about 20 minutes out from a scheduled recording and prl said it should only come up if there's a recording within 360 seconds
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:49

tezza007 wrote:
MrQuade wrote:Tezza, I am not sure you quite got what prl was asking you to do there.
Obviously as I didn't get that he was asking me to do anything at all
MrQuade wrote:The next time you get the upcoming recordings message, he wants you to press the record button while you are watching live TV. This will , as you no doubt already know, show a list of any current recordings.
I've never done that so no, I didnt know that
Ok. If you press record during live TV, it will give you options to create an instant recording, or stop/modify any recordings currently in progress.
So the request is for you to try this next time you get the message that there is a recording in progress, and see if there are any listed that are available to stop.
tezza007 wrote:
Huh?
"...the upcoming recordings message that you are seeing may be the result of EPGrefresh having become stuck."
tezza007 wrote:
I think "ae" was supposed to say "some" there <G>
The invisible timers from EPG Refresh do not show up in the EPG or result in any recordings appearing in the media player. Or at least it did when I was using EPGRefresh, I had it set to make background recordings.
tezza007 wrote:
"now" = "know"
"good" = "control"
"Not" = "Now"
"runner" = "tuner"

Again, apologies for that terrible post of mine, I'll leave the original intact as a memorial to bashing something out quickly on the phone at stupid-o'clock in the monring ;).

As-per Pheonix's post, on the surface, EPGRefresh may look like it is behaving itself, but it could be messing you up behind the scenes. The suggestion to disable it for a few days is worth trying to see if the problem keeps popping up for you, or stops happening.
How often are you seeing the message now?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Nov 18, 2014 13:41

EPGrefresh plugin has been nothing but trouble. The general concept of updating the EPG by utilising unused tuners is fine, but the implementation is suboptimal. This is certainly a plugin that could use some loving and it may even need some modifications to the C++ parts of enigma2.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

kymh
Apprentice

Post by kymh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:13

Thanks to all for their answers,
To answer some of the questions in response:-

No auto timers are set or are in-use.

I had the problem with 20141003 firmware, possibly earlier as well and tried the beta 20141116 in attempt to fix it but the problem persists.

I am running the ICE-TV Plugin and all recordings are set via ice-tv.

When I get the "Recording(s) are in progress or are coming up in a few seconds! message" I do have the option to shutdown.

Whether EPGrefresh is disabled or enabled makes no difference.

I see a new firmware will be released in the next day or two so I'll cross my fingers but, as with previous firmwares, I don't hold much hope.

I'm happy with my BW DP-P2 but beyonwiz are way out of their league with this one.
I'd love to be proven wrong.
Regards Kym

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:20

I have EPGRefresh set to update at 7.15 every morning so I can then set my timers. It works fine and is not causing any problems. If it is the cause of the above message, that's not a problem, I just ignore it and carry on.

My current setup is as near as perfect can be, so I haven't touched the last 2 or 3 betas. It's recording perfectly on all 4 tuners; chaseplay during multiple recordings is perfect; watching movies and downloaded TV shows FTP'd to the T3 is perfect [apart from having to change audio settings for the different audio types]. FTPing to the T3 during multiple recordings and a playback is perfect

The only problems I've had in ages when I attempted to use that useless IceTV for the 3rd time; since I got rid of it, everything's fine again. I am using their online TV Guide, My Week and Coming Soon instead of a paper TV Guide
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Nov 18, 2014 17:05

kymh wrote:I am running the ICE-TV Plugin and all recordings are set via ice-tv.
Whether EPGrefresh is disabled or enabled makes no difference.
Do not run IceTV with any other EPG related plugin.

You should not have EPGrefresh installed at all if you are using IceTV.

I'm not saying that EPGrefresh is the cause of this issue, but it's certainly not a good idea to have it even installed when you have IceTV enabled.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 17:18

A couple of other options:
Could it be a timeshift recording. Ie do you have the timeshift setting where it records the timeshift buffer when you change channels or similar. That could be being triggered every time you shutdown and shutdown is waiting for the timeshift to be recorded. This happens in thh background to the user, but may trigger the message you are seeing.

It could also be some tasks running that have not completed properly. There's another post about seeing what tasks are running but the easiest way is to press the blue button in livetv. Normally that just lists the available extensions so if the first one isn't Auto Timer or browser then you may have other tasks that havent completed properly,

In terms of the T3 vs the older DP series, I'm not sure how long you had your DP but the early days (months...) of the DPs were like this too.
Beyonwiz T4

kymh
Apprentice

Post by kymh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 07:39

Maybe I assumed too much but I just found out my unit came with a WD40EZRX (green) as opposed to a WD40EFRX (red).
Scabbing out on a few dollars rather than using the WD HDD built for this purpose.
Recommend a friend??? :-) RIGHT.
Regards Kym

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Nov 19, 2014 08:05

kymh wrote:Maybe I assumed too much but I just found out my unit came with a WD40EZRX (green) as opposed to a WD40EFRX (red).
Scabbing out on a few dollars rather than using the WD HDD built for this purpose.
Recommend a friend??? :-) RIGHT.
Green is low heat and quiet. Red is designed for servers. I think green is more appropriate for a pvr that sits in the lounge. It's certainly a lot quieter than the hard drive in my wd NAS.
Beyonwiz T4

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Nov 19, 2014 08:19

There has been discussion about the drive model supplied with the T3 in various threads already. It is pretty much a non-issue. There is an approximate $10 premium per TB on the Red, which adds up to around $40 for the 4TB top of the line, for little benefit.

The Red was designed for consistent performance across an array of drives, less vibration to disturb its partners, and a lower thermal output....again for better performance in an array with restricted ventilation. I run Reds in my NAS as a benefit to its RAID array, but all I care about for my PVR is that I can't hear the drive operating. The Green satisfies that criteria.

The benefits from going from Green to Red would be very marginal.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 09:11

kymh wrote:Thanks to all for their answers,
To answer some of the questions in response:-
There wasn't an answer to the question I most would have seen an answer to:
prl wrote:When this happens, do you get the option to stop recordings when you press REC in live TV? And if you do, and continue on to the stop recordings screen, what does it show?
That is, cancel the attempt to shut down, go back to live TV and press REC. Then if there that entry in the menu, and if you go to the "stop recordings" screen, what does it show?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Topics”