Timeshift difficulties continue

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: Timeshift difficulties continue

Post by prl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 17:07

alicudi wrote: Ok I have changed all my 3 recording locations to: "/media/hdd/movie". ...
The preferred setup is the default:
Menu-->Setup-->TV-->Recording settings-->Default movie location
/media/hdd/movie

Menu-->Setup-->TV-->Recording settings-->Timer recording location
<Default movie location>

Menu-->Setup-->TV-->Recording settings-->Instant recording location
<Default movie location>

Menu-->Setup-->TV-->Timeshift settings-->Timeshift location
/media/hdd/timeshift/ (and not /media/hdd/movie)

However, once you've selected something else for Timer recording location and Instant recording location, you may have to set them explicitly to /media/hdd/movie
Last edited by prl on Wed Oct 01, 2014 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

alicudi
Apprentice

Post by alicudi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 17:09

Hi

Ok a recording has just started so my problem is now fixed.

What's confused me is why on earth did it stop working all of a sudden?

Regards,

alicudi

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 17:15

alicudi wrote:Hi

Ok a recording has just started so my problem is now fixed.
The settings you posted aren't right for timeshift. I've modified my post in between times.
alicudi wrote:What's confused me is why on earth did it stop working all of a sudden? ...
Somebody changed the values of those settings from their default values to inappropriate ones, possibly while investigating other problems.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

alicudi
Apprentice

Post by alicudi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 17:18

Hi

Yes it was me that was playing around with the settings immediately after I upgraded the firmware around 10 days ago. I did this because my unit was not recording anymore the moment I installed the new firmware.

I was able to record around 150 gig of movies over about 5 to 6 days with the new settings I selected and then it just stopped without warning and this part has my curiosity intrigued.

Regards,

alicudi

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 17:31

alicudi wrote:...
I was able to record around 150 gig of movies over about 5 to 6 days with the new settings I selected and then it just stopped without warning and this part has my curiosity intrigued. ...
I suspect that it may have stopped working when the USB thumb drive was removed. That changed the way the USB HDDs were discovered and named in the system.

I think that this is a potentially quite nasty problem with the use of an external USB HDD for recording.

I suggest that whenever you do an upgrade from the thumb drive, you shut the T3 down and remove the USB drive as soon as the upgrade completes, then restart (if you want the T3 running).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

alicudi
Apprentice

Post by alicudi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 18:41

Hi

I only had the usb stick in the T3 during the firmware upgrade process and that was it as it was in-convenient to leave it plugged in any longer than required as I wanted to close the cabinet. I haven't connected the usb stick to my T3 since about 10 days ago but the T3 still continued to record for several days and then just stopped without warning.

I am happy that I now have the T3 recording again and will be interesting to see if the recording function continues to work or if it in fact stops again and if it does it may come down to testing the usb hard drive with my pc for a little while to see if it has any errors or if that doesn't find an issue purchase another usb external hard drive and see if my issues come back.

Regards,

alicudi

Return to “General Topics”