Time shift question

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Stubn
Master

Time shift question

Post by Stubn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 20:43

Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't find exactly what I'm interested in after searching.

Time shift is frustrating my better half who liked the old Bwiz functionality.

As I understand it, I have the left and right arrow that I can configure forward and backward jumps with, and I can also set the 147 and 369 buttons with more times.

Her biggest frustration is we have to activate the keypad (147, 369) jumps by pressing the the play button twice.

Have I missed something in the time shift functionality where i can set it 'on' as default?

If not, To the testers, do you know if the timeshift implementation on the list to be further developed ?

My suggestion would be that timeshift keypad buttons are activated by default. Or the up / down arrow buttons are also made programmable as per the old Bwiz functionality.
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Time shift question

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 16, 2014 20:57

Stubn wrote: Her biggest frustration is we have to activate the keypad (147, 369) jumps by pressing the the play button twice.
You can also activate timeshift by just pressing the left arrow as you mentioned earlier. The number buttons will then let you skip in larger increments.

It is probably unlikely that the up and down keys will be set up as skip, since they are currently mapped to the channel list. Never say never though :).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Stubn
Master

Post by Stubn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 21:06

MrQuade wrote: You can also activate timeshift by just pressing the left arrow as you mentioned earlier. The number buttons will then let you skip in larger increments.
I didn't realise that, and hoped there may be another option. The family is using it right now so I can't try your suggestion but I will later.

Thanks
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 16, 2014 21:31

The new firmware that is due out this week should make the timeshift functions work a little better than the current non-beta version too. (pressing stop now takes you out of timeshift reliably).

Make sure you upgrade when it becomes available :).

Stubn
Master

Post by Stubn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 21:41

Thanks again. That works and feels less distracting... We'll see what the family think.

In what sort of scenario would I want to turn the keypad time shift off?
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Sep 16, 2014 21:54

Stubn wrote: In what sort of scenario would I want to turn the keypad time shift off?
If you want to use the keypad keys to change channels primarily.

For example, I use a universal remote and can change channels with a button press since I have macros that directly enter the channel number and press OK for me.

Others on the forum would like to change channels manually using the broadcaster's Logical Channel Number (LCN) eg. 21 for ABC1, 22 ABC2 etc... But that is something that the T3 does not currently support, as the LCN is effectively "lost" once you set up a favourites group.

Generally though, I wouldn't miss the ability to change channels using the keypad if it went away. All my channel browsing is done via the channel list (up for down button) or the full EPG. Changing channels using the keypad just feels like the "old way" and is not that relevant in this age of smart PVRs.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 16, 2014 22:40

Stubn wrote:... In what sort of scenario would I want to turn the keypad time shift off?
To have all the timeshift buttons adjacent, as they are on the DP series.

I'd like to have UP/DOWN/RIGHT/LEFT as the only timeshift buttons, return the numeric keys to channel change, and change the default for FAV to show the currently selected channel list screen instead of the bouquet selection screen. The buttons should be individually configurable, not pairwise as they are for 1/3/4/6/7/9.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Stubn
Master

Post by Stubn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 07:37

MrQuade wrote: Generally though, I wouldn't miss the ability to change channels using the keypad if it went away. All my channel browsing is done via the channel list (up for down button) or the full EPG. Changing channels using the keypad just feels like the "old way" and is not that relevant in this age of smart PVRs.
My household has been same and only used the EPG for channel changing ever since getting our first DP series.

And I absolutely agree with prl's thoughts on how it should function.
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

Return to “General Topics”