Freeview Plus Announced

Moderators: Gully, peteru

tezza007
Wizard

Freeview Plus Announced

Post by tezza007 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:53

I've just seen that they've announced Freeview Plus is being launched tonight and you just have to "press the Green button". So I pressed the blue button :D which brought up 3 options, ABC, Freeviewplus and Iview. I selected Freeview, it warned me downloads would count towards my data [god bless unlimited] then asked for my postcode and Ok and that was the end of it. I was downloading at 1,200kB/s and FTPíng from my laptop to the T3 though
2-9.jpg
2-9.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

prl
Wizard God

Re: Freeview Plus Announced

Post by prl » Tue Sep 02, 2014 13:31

That bit of Freeview Plus is HbbTV, Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV.

It basically provides a link between digital TV broadcasts and broadcaster online services. Hence the downloading.

Surely BLUE and then select HbbTV services, though, not just the blue button?

You can also go to HbbTV with long-RED from live TV.

Enhancement request #304 - Coloured buttons for HbbTV is about getting the coloured buttons to conform to their HbbTV uses. That will probably mean that (short) RED for Instant Recording will also go, leaving REC as the only button for that function.

The Free TV Operational Practice OP–61: Implementation of Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV by Australian Free-to-air Television Broadcasters Section 5 has this information about button use for HbbTV:
  • GREEN button functionality on a DTV receiver remote control
  • RED button functionality for specific Australian television broadcaster’s applications
I can't really work out just what those two functions are supposed to be.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 13:39

prl wrote:Surely BLUE and then select HbbTV services, though, not just the blue button?
Correct, I missed that step
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

NedIS
Master

Post by NedIS » Tue Sep 02, 2014 15:53

When l do the long press on the red button I get hbbtv plugin on the T3 but nothing on my TV?

dumbthumbs
Apprentice

Post by dumbthumbs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 00:06

Well I went through all channels tonight.
ABC works. Slow, but works.
SBS. Plays pre-programme, then nothing.
7 Does nothing
9 Does nothing
10Play auto nothing
10Play. Shows come up, but when playing.......yep nothing!
Freeview Plus starts putting up a menu at a painstaking rate, then freezes. over time various broken artifacts pop on the screen.

And it has to go faster than it does. I am surprised that the T3 has less horsepower than a smartphone, but it shouldn't need any more to give snappy response putting up some menus and playing online services.
Last edited by dumbthumbs on Wed Sep 03, 2014 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 03, 2014 07:13

What I would like to see is any device OTHER than the t3 do hbbtv so that we can determine if it is the service that is slowing things down or if it is the t3.

Until then, I will reserve judgement.

I place zero trust in the freeview consortium.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18

dumbthumbs wrote:... Freeview Plus starts putting up a menu at a painstaking rate, then freezes. over time various broken artifacts pop on the screen. ...
I get this too. This looks like part of the "old" Freeview Plus, with the MHEG-5 EPG and series recording. That was originally supposed to be only available on Freeview Plus badged (and limited) devices. Perhaps that still applies. If it does, there are probably better ways of handling it.
dumbthumbs wrote:And it has to go faster than it does. I am surprised that the T3 has less horsepower than a smartphone, but it shouldn't need any more to give snappy response putting up some menus and playing online services.
TheT3's web browser is also very slow. I don't know whether the rendering of the HbbTV screens also uses components from the Web browser.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29

prl wrote:I don't know whether the rendering of the HbbTV screens also uses components from the Web browser.
Yes it does.

HbbTV is effectively web based apps that can be launched using some data embedded in the AIT stream that is sent by the networks. Most of the time this data just directs the user to a web server that holds the actual HbbTV (JavaScript) app. The entire HbbTV user experience is only as good as the browser that runs the apps and of course the app code that the broadcasters provide.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:59

peteru wrote:
prl wrote:I don't know whether the rendering of the HbbTV screens also uses components from the Web browser.
Yes it does.
That's what I suspected, and it seems to explain the slowness of rendering the HbbTV screens. Perhaps the browser code is also the cause of the hang when you try to enter the Freeview Plus screen.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dumbthumbs
Apprentice

Post by dumbthumbs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:10

It seems that the web browser is the root of all evil. As a plain web browser, I found it unusable. Any Linux hack knows that you don't need a high level of resources to run a web browser, so it seems that this is where the developers need to concentrate some effort.

Perhaps a new html rendering engine to replace the Opera rubbish there now will make an enormous difference throughout the appliance.

Is the web browser written in native code, or is it running in some inefficient scripting language?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 16:02

dumbthumbs wrote:... Is the web browser written in native code, or is it running in some inefficient scripting language?
The browser executable code on the T3 is in /usr/local/hbb-browser/lib. It looks like normal executable code to me.

In particular:

Code: Select all

cambyses:python prl$ file hbbtv.app
hbbtv.app: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, with unknown capability 0xf41 = 0x756e6700, with unknown capability 0x70100 = 0x1040000, stripped
cambyses:python prl$
cambyses:python prl$ file libopera.so.3.3
libopera.so.3.3: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, MIPS, MIPS32 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, with unknown capability 0xf41 = 0x756e6700, with unknown capability 0x70100 = 0x1040000, not stripped
cambyses:python prl$
Which looks like compiled code to me.

I'd expect that most of the heavy lifting in the browser would be done in the libopera.so.3.3 shared library.

Opera is not open source.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Obiwan
Apprentice

Post by Obiwan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 20:01

I get the same result. The render is slow and incomplete.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Sep 15, 2014 22:07

So, I've done some digging into these HbbTV compatibility issues and the news is not good. The problem is that this is Freeview all over again! :evil:

The services that work have no DRM.

The ones that fail to work:

Code: Select all

<ContentProtection schemeIdUri="urn:mpeg:dash:mp4protection:2011" value="cenc"/>
         <ContentProtection schemeIdUri="urn:uuid:5E629AF5-38DA-4063-8977-97FFBD9902D4">
            <mas:MarlinContentIds>
:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :shock: :cry: :evil: :(

Following the bread crumb trail...

Marlin was founded by Intertrust, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung and Sony. They get to decide who's allowed in and on what terms. :roll:

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “General Topics”