can my T3 turn off again after a recording

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Stubn
Master

can my T3 turn off again after a recording

Post by Stubn » Mon Sep 01, 2014 17:21

Hi

This is my question, If the T3 is in Shutdown and then turns on for a recording, can i get it to shutdown when it finishes? (or stay turned on if it was already on). My old P1 would return to shutdown mode but my new T3 doesn't.
The recordings were set with 'what to do after a recording = Auto' which seems correct but the T3 stays turned on.

Have i missed something?
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

EdVic
Apprentice

Re: can my T3 turn off again after a recording

Post by EdVic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 09:10

Old question. But. Each individual timer must be set for "what to do after recording".
Even with the latest upgrade there is no global setting for action after recording.

BikeMike
Apprentice

Post by BikeMike » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00

I'd also like to know how to do this...
* If it was on before recording started, leave on
* If it was in standby/shutdown before recording started, and there has been no activity from the remote during recording, return to same standby/shutdown state when recording finishes.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03

I think that's what "auto" is supposed to do, but in my experience, doesn't.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Stubn
Master

Post by Stubn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 14:26

prl wrote:I think that's what "auto" is supposed to do, but in my experience, doesn't.
thanks prl, that answers my original question.
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:39

I've had a bit of a poke around, and the /proc file on the T3 that's supposed to indicate whether the T3 was started by a timer doesn't seem to be working or has been reset by something else before the main app, enigma2, runs. This means that the firmware always acts as though it was stared by user intervention.

I have posted more detailed information in the beta forum.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Stubn
Master

Post by Stubn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 16:44

Thanks for taking a look and I appreciate you letting me know you've added it to the Beta forum.

(also happy to UAT a beta firmware should one be created)
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 17:09

prl wrote:... the /proc file on the T3 that's supposed to indicate whether the T3 was started by a timer doesn't seem to be working or has been reset by something else before the main app, enigma2, ...
The /proc file says "not started from timer", no matter how the T3 is started, right from when the file appears in the /proc filesystem. Looks like a kernel module problem to me. There's a bug in detecting whether the T3 was started from a power timer, too, but I can't really test that until /proc/stb/fp/was_timer_wakeup has the right value.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

kidhazy
Apprentice

Post by kidhazy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:35

Looking at a T3 to replace my aging Topfield TF7100.

I know on the Topfield we had to have some home-grown remote control 'macros' to get it to shutdown when a recording finishes after you'd pressed the 'off' button. (There was an option like 'sleep after current recording' if the sleep button was pressed whilst a recording was going).

Trying to make sense of the T3 Manual, and the discussion here, I'm not sure what the process is as far as:
1) I've kicked of a manual recording.
2) Now I want to turn things 'off' and go to bed.
3) Is this where the T3 Sleep Timer comes into play?

In the T3 manual under Sleep Timer it mentions:
"You can set a specific time when your Beyonwiz T3 goes into Standby mode or Deep Standby mode, using this menu"

So can I set a timer to Deep Standby at 1am and it will shutdown regardless of the current recording status?

How do most people handle the power on/off of their T3's? (eg. leave on 24hours, shutdown/standby manually, etc)
(I've got the power options on the Topfield down pat, so don't want to have to introduce different standby procedures depending on what the T3 is doing)

Cheers,
kidhazy.

PS. Great to see so many of the old Topfield gang from the old TF5000 days hanging out here - perhaps a good recommendation for the BeyonWiz :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 17:22

kidhazy wrote:... So can I set a timer to Deep Standby at 1am and it will shutdown regardless of the current recording status?
I've never tried it, but the code certainly looks as though it should.

The T3 is (like the DP series Beyonwizes and, IIRC, Topfields) supposed to default to return to its previous state when it's started by a timer, but that doesn't work. If it's in standby and starts to make a recording, it's supposed to only come up to standby, and then return to shutdown when the timer completes. This doesn't work properly; it comes up to fully on and stays on when the recording finishes.

Delaying shutdown until after all recordings have finished is also a bit strange on the T3. If you shut down by configuring POWER to shut down (rather than the default to go to standby), the T3 goes into standby to complete the recordings, then should shut down, without asking. But if you shut down using the Power menu (e.g. by long-press POWER), then it just pops up a message box that allows you to shut down or not.

I think that should do the same as just pressing the power button.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Sep 29, 2014 18:36

The T3 has three power modes. Full on, standby and powered off.

Your recordings can continue in either the full on state or in standby state. So, you can start a recording, press the standby button and walk away. The T3 will go to standby and the recording will finish.

It is a lot simpler than the Topfields or even previous models of Beyonwiz PVRs.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Stubn
Master

Post by Stubn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 19:40

Please don't take this as an attack.

If the function worked, it would be simple, yes. But as per the theme of this thread, the feature is broken.

I don't think I would be alone in wanting a DP equivalent user experience with having my T3 go to deep sleep after a recording.
Andrew
T2 & T3 & V2

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 22:36

Powering down with the POWER button while a recording was running worked just fine for me.

The not shutting down again when it comes out of shutdown to do a recording is an annoyance.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:27

kidhazy wrote:How do most people handle the power on/off of their T3's? (eg. leave on 24hours, shutdown/standby manually, etc)
(I've got the power options on the Topfield down pat, so don't want to have to introduce different standby procedures depending on what the T3 is doing)
I usually leave the T3 in standby, it handles all the recordings and FTP
The Topfield 7160 I almost never shutdown as it takes to long to start up again
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

Return to “General Topics”