ABC HBBTV - success

Moderators: Gully, peteru

swallowtail
Apprentice

ABC HBBTV - success

Post by swallowtail » Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:37

I have been playing with ABC hbbtv on my T3, and thought I'd comment up here on the results.

When going into the hbbtv menu (Blue button, then 4) on ABC channels, I get three options to choose from:

ABC
FREEVIEWPLUS
IVIEW

ABC does nothing, and after a few minutes I gave up, and pressed exit to get out. The T3 display was showing hbbtv, but nothing on the screen over the ABC channel then playing.

FREEVIEWPLUS took me to a screen telling me that I am not authorised. :shock:

IVIEW takes you to iView, and it works fine. :D It's a bit slow to navigate, but streams fine.

I tried on SBS, and that will play ads but not the actual shows... as reported elsewhere.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: ABC HBBTV - success

Post by peteru » Wed Aug 06, 2014 17:14

swallowtail wrote:ABC does nothing, and after a few minutes I gave up, and pressed exit to get out. The T3 display was showing hbbtv, but nothing on the screen over the ABC channel then playing.
What it used to do, was to flash up a prompt, telling you to press the red button. It still expects that. So, if you select ABC from the HbbTV apps, then you will need to press the red button to show the UI. This is something that is under the control of the HbbTV app being sent by ABC, so there's nothing that can be done about this in the firmware.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

swallowtail
Apprentice

Post by swallowtail » Wed Aug 06, 2014 18:15

peteru wrote:
swallowtail wrote:ABC does nothing, and after a few minutes I gave up, and pressed exit to get out. The T3 display was showing hbbtv, but nothing on the screen over the ABC channel then playing.
What it used to do, was to flash up a prompt, telling you to press the red button. It still expects that. So, if you select ABC from the HbbTV apps, then you will need to press the red button to show the UI. This is something that is under the control of the HbbTV app being sent by ABC, so there's nothing that can be done about this in the firmware.
Yes, I just checked that and you are absolutely correct - pressing red button at that point (nothing on the screen) takes me to iView - the same as if I had selected the third entry in the list, which goes straight there.

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 18:49

Just went into iView myself, yes a bit slow, bet seems to work ok.
Bad news though, that upon exiting, the T3 froze :cry:

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 20:36

Buffy71 wrote:Just went into iView myself, yes a bit slow, bet seems to work ok.
When you say froze do you mean you could not change channels etc but tv was happening ok ?

I saw that it is possible to sometimes exit hbbtv to live tv but need an extra "exit" to get control back again.
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

swallowtail
Apprentice

Post by swallowtail » Fri Aug 08, 2014 21:14

craigh wrote:
Buffy71 wrote:Just went into iView myself, yes a bit slow, bet seems to work ok.
When you say froze do you mean you could not change channels etc but tv was happening ok ?

I saw that it is possible to sometimes exit hbbtv to live tv but need an extra "exit" to get control back again.
Yes, I've noticed the same thing. The key is to see what is on the Beyonwiz display to see if it is still in hbbtv mode. My daughter is happy, she got to watch Midsomer Murders tonight on it... :)

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 16:43

Aahhh ok, red to exit and then exit button worked. Thanks!

scho
Master

Post by scho » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:41

I was able to watch Doctor Who this morning on iview. Great that ABC are making it available as soon as the BBC have broadcasted the episode on Saturday night in the UK. Very happy with extra functionality.

T3 - 2TB
HDMI 1080i to Sony Android
Digital Audio to Sony 5.1
Synology NAS
Apple TV
Airport Extreme Wireless LAN
Ethernet over Power

Sir Lancelot
Master

Post by Sir Lancelot » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:01

You could have watched it on ABC1 this morning between 6 and 7am. Did not need Iview for that.

Regards
Lance

scho
Master

Post by scho » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:19

Ah.. Obviously I need to check the EPG and set a better auto timer then for Doctor Who.

But my main point is that I'm pleased that Iview works on the T3. This was my first test. I consider it a valuable source of free content.

Hopefully the issues with the other HBBTV providers can get resolved.

T3 - 2TB
HDMI 1080i to Sony Android
Digital Audio to Sony 5.1
Synology NAS
Apple TV
Airport Extreme Wireless LAN
Ethernet over Power

Return to “General Topics”