U4 Remote Replacement needed

Moderators: Gully, peteru

KGL
Master

U4 Remote Replacement needed

Post by KGL » Sat Apr 06, 2024 22:11

The U4 remote became clunky a long time ago, so I bought a Harmony 650. Tonight that died also. The U4 remote is no longer available through BW and the Harmony remotes are no longer made.

As a last resort I used the BW app on my phone but when I went to put it onto my wife's phone from Play Store I see it is no longer available.

So, any suggestions on getting another remote?

I found this eBay site:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12377758509 ... 1&mkcid=28

However, all listed units up to T4 are supposed to be compatible but the U4 is not listed.
It is difficult to know if any universal remotes would work with the U4

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Greg

prl
Wizard God

Re: U4 Remote Replacement needed

Post by prl » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:16

The U4 can be set up to work with any of the new series Beyonwiz remotes: T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 (even though the V2 remote isn't mentioned in the U4 remote code setup screen, it uses the same code set as the U4, 0xAE97).

However, it doesn't have an "All Supported" remote mode like the T2/T3/T4 (which have that as the default).

If your U4 remote doesn't work well enough to change the remote code set for your U4 (MENU>Setup>System>Remote control code settings), then you'll need to have your U4 networked to your home network, and use your computer's (or laptop's or phone's) browser to connect to the Betonwiz's OpenWebif interface (a Web server on the Beyonwiz), and then use the OpenWebif on-screen "remote control" to set the code set for your new remote (after setting the new remote to one of the new-series remote code sets, i.e. not a BR, DP or FV model).

You may also need to do a bit of guesswork to match the universal remote's key codes to the ones in the Betonwiz remote codes setup screen.

If you need help with OpenWebif, post again, and someone can walk you through that.

BTW, the long list of supported models for the remote you linked to isn't as impressive as it looks: the BR01 and BR02 are models of remote controller, not Beyonwiz PVR, and their codes cover all the DP and FV model Beyonwizes. The BR02 is for the DP-P2, and the BR01 is for all the other DP models and the FV-L1.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sun Apr 07, 2024 16:18

Thanks prl.
My BW remote works well enough to get into settings. We are probably pretty harsh on remotes as we record everything we want to watch and skip through the ads etc all the time. The skip buttons etc are the ones that don't work all that well on the BW remote.

I emailed the Sofabaton support and they responded within 24 hours, even though it is a weekend. Apparently their remote does work with the BW U4. Our TV uses Bluetooth for the remote and as the Sofabaton uses both infrared and Bluetooth it might work with both units.

I have emailed One for All support to see if their remote will work with the BW. I will have to wait as see if they respond. Their remote only works with infrared, so it won't work with the TV.

Just to clarify, Would the remote advertised on eBay in my previous post work with the BW U4 if I changed the code under settigns to the T4?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Apr 07, 2024 17:32

KGL wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 16:18
Just to clarify, Would the remote advertised on eBay in my previous post work with the BW U4 if I changed the code under settings to the T4?
There isn't enough information in the eBay ad to know exactly which code set the remote will emit if you set it to emit T4 codes.

You may need to try all of
Beyonwiz U4/T4/T2 (0x02F3)
Beyonwiz T2/T4 (0x02F2)
Beyonwiz T2/T4 (0x02F4)
and see which one works. But one of them should work, provided the remote does send one of those code sets
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:02

The Sofabaton seems to be the only remote I can find that supports the BW. I have now ordered one.

The One-for-All remote is commonly sold via JB HiFI and other similar retailers. It is considerably cheaper than the Sofabaton. However, their support team has told me the BW is not supported.

I contacted the seller of the "BW remote" on eBay with the BW codes and he says they don't correspond with that remove either. So, it sounds like it would not likely work with the U4

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 14:28

KGL wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 22:11
The U4 remote became clunky a long time ago, so I bought a Harmony 650. Tonight that died also. The U4 remote is no longer available through BW and the Harmony remotes are no longer made.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Greg

In this post I described how to repair a harmony 650 with a repair kit, if that's your problem with the 650. If it is not, I would be interested in it for spare parts - I've lost a battery cover for one of mine!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 08, 2024 16:28

KGL wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:02
I contacted the seller of the "BW remote" on eBay with the BW codes and he says they don't correspond with that remove either. So, it sounds like it would not likely work with the U4
The Beyonwiz code set options I listed include code sets for the T2 and T4. The page claims that the "BW remote" works on those models.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Topics”