Problems since SSD disk upgrade?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

AvB
Apprentice

Problems since SSD disk upgrade?

Post by AvB » Mon Mar 18, 2024 07:37

Hi, following on from my previous post where I successfully replaced the HDD in my T2, to a new SSD. The previous issues I'd had are resolved, and it all works really well.

Except ...

When we're watching recordings, it's pixellating and freezing for short periods (vision not audio). Initially we thought it was just bad reception - which does happen at time in storms etc and looks similar. However I've realized that we're not seeing the glitching when watching live TV. It's only on recordings and is bad enough to ruin the viewing experience at times.

The "spinning star" also keeps appearing for short periods, at seemingly random times when watching a recording.

I'm not familiar with the techo details but it seems memory overload?

After the upgrade, I had to do a firmware re-install so I had to re-set all of my old settings. I wondered if there's something I may have missed, that could be consuming too much memory??

Thanks again, Andrew.

AvB
Apprentice

Re: Problems since SSD disk upgrade?

Post by AvB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 13:57

I think it's actually having problems recording, rather than playing. When it's glitching badly during playback, if I stop the playback and exit, then open the recording again at the same spot, it shows the exact same glitching/ pixellation/ freezing etc at the same spot which to me indicates that the recording is faulty. The audio seems to always be fine, but the picture is like bad reception on a stormy night.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 19, 2024 16:07

It sounds like it might be differences in tuner performance. Are you using a USB tuner as well as the built-in tuners?

How do you feed antenna signal to the tuners?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 20:52

We have a coax cable coming from roof antenna, and yes there is a USB dongle which I assume is the USB tuner? It's so long I can't remember the details from purchase but here are a couple of photos of how it's connected. It also has the wifi adaptor on the front USB port.
Attachments
IMG_8574.jpg
IMG_8573.jpg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 20, 2024 09:03

AvB wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 20:52
there is a USB dongle which I assume is the USB tuner?

Yes, that's a USB tuner.

You can check which tuner a recording was made on by looking at the logs in the timer that created it or by using the recording's tags.

The simplest way to check is to use the recording tags. Do a long-YELLOW while you're in the media selection list (MEDIA from live TV). You get a menu with an alphabetical list of tags, and you should see tags with names like Tuner-A, Tuner-B and Tuner-C. If you select any one of them, the media selection list will only show shows recorded using that tuner. Do any particular tuners match more with recordings that have glitching? If so, you may have located the problematic tuner. You can go back to seeing all recordings by doing long-YELLOW and then selecting Show all tags.
AvB wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 20:52
It also has the wifi adaptor on the front USB port.

Did your USB tuner dongle come with a short USB extension cable? If you use that to connect the USB dongle instead of plugging it directly in at the back, you may be able to connect the WiFi dongle into the other rear USB port, provided it still has good enough reception. That would give you a slightly tidier setup, and free up the front USB port for other use.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Wed Mar 20, 2024 09:56

Hey thanks. I haven't been able to work out any pattern yet, but I need to filter thru and see which programs are faulty. It's even possible that the USB tuner wasn't plugged in properly, so it might take me some time to see if there's any consistency. Cheers, thanks

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 20, 2024 17:13

AvB wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 09:56
Hey thanks.

No problem.
AvB wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 09:56
I haven't been able to work out any pattern yet

It's not something that's obvious. It depends on how the tuners are being used and on the recent history of their use.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Mon Mar 25, 2024 09:12

I also have the very same problem, and friend is also in the same boat with their V2. I think it is a recording issue and is particularly noticeable during AFL recording playback but can also occur during other programs (e.g. Channel Seven News). I have also tried a different HDD but the problem persist, the recordings are done using the internal tuners. I can only assume that the V2 processor is not able to keep up with the data stream when recording. It cannot be a transmission fault as this glitch does not appear if the same program is recorded on my T4.

This remains a mystery to me.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:24

Sandy B wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 09:12
I can only assume that the V2 processor is not able to keep up with the data stream when recording. It cannot be a transmission fault as this glitch does not appear if the same program is recorded on my T4.

The V2 has more, and faster (4 x 1600MHz), CPUs than the T4 (2 x 1300MHz). There may be hardware differences that explain the difference in behaviour, but I suspect that CPU power isn't it.

Differences in how the antenna inputs are fed, and whether the V2 is using a USB tuner for the recording, may be more important.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:39

I don't even know what a V2 is! There's a lot I don't understand about this stuff.
Anyway our T2 seems to be behaving better at the moment ... haven't noticed any major glitching in recordings.
It's possible that when I pulled it apart to change the HDD, I had to remove the USB tuner when doing the firmware update and perhaps didn't put it back in properly? Not sure but when went to check the connections as I grabbed the back I thought the USB tuner on the rear might have pushed in a bit ... so it may just be such a silly and simple thing as not being properly inserted. I'll keep monitoring.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 26, 2024 08:39

AvB wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:39
I don't even know what a V2 is!

That was in reply to SandyB's post. He has a Beyonwiz V2, which is the last model produced by Beyonwiz.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Tue Mar 26, 2024 08:54

I don't even know what a V2 is! There's a lot I don't understand about this stuff.
I apologise for hijacking the conversation, it was just the fact that the experience with yourT2 was/is the very same issue that I am having with two V2’s.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:25

Pixellated recording problems have a strong association with the Beyonwiz USB tuner having poor sensitivity. I spent months investigating my T3 pixellating. Note that my degree is in electronics.

I found it could be improved by adding amplification but the best solution was to replace it with a "Bluey". That option may be hard to source now. Some find their aerial or lead-in cable may be a source of problems.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:26

Pixellated recording problems have a strong association with the Beyonwiz USB tuner having poor sensitivity. I spent months investigating my T3 pixellating. Note that my degree is in electronics.

I think it is now coming down to a definition of “pixilating”.

My “classical definition” would be the breakup of picture and sound which would be associated with an antenna/ tuner problem, and is noticeable watching live TV or on playback of a recorded program.

What AvB and myself are experiencing is freezing/slow notion for short periods of the vision however the audio remains uninterrupted.

If it is an antenna/tuner problem would I not notice it during watching live TV? I have not noticed this when watching live TV via the V2.

I do respect your view given your Degree in Electronics, mine is in Civil (concrete and soil so no help there from me), but to me it remains a mystery.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:52

Sandy B wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:26

I think it is now coming down to a definition of “pixilating”.

My “classical definition” would be the breakup of picture and sound which would be associated with an antenna/ tuner problem, and is noticeable watching live TV or on playback of a recorded program.

What AvB and myself are experiencing is freezing/slow notion for short periods of the vision however the audio remains uninterrupted.

Thanks for the clarification of the issue on the V2.

Are you using a USB adapter? That can be an issue. I use a 1TB no-name SSD via a USB3 adapter for some U4 recordings and don't have a problem with recording or playback but I have five USB3 adapters and one of them is intermittent on the PC due to a loose connection to the HDD.

Audio data is a fraction of the quantum of the video data so it is less likely to be affected, except if the problem is severe.

Sandy B wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:26

If it is an antenna/tuner problem would I not notice it during watching live TV? I have not noticed this when watching live TV via the V2.

I agree it doesn't appear to be a tuner issue.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Sat Mar 30, 2024 08:34

Are you using a USB adapter? That can be an issue. I use a 1TB no-name SSD via a USB3 adapter for some U4 recordings and don't have a problem with recording or playback but I have five USB3 adapters and one of them is intermittent on the PC due to a loose connection to the HDD.
Both my friend and I are both using a Seagate 2TB HDD, (one powered and one unpowered) connected directly to the V2's rear USB port. I have also tried recording to a powered 8TB WD HDD via a powered hub and it also produces the same unwanted effect.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 08:36

When the obvious culprits have been eliminated, I reflash the firmware. It sounds like the usb port isn't working properly. Could be software or hardware. Hopefully, not the latter.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “General Topics”