I stiffed up & am now trying to repair problem I created.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

The Old Man
Master

I stiffed up & am now trying to repair problem I created.

Post by The Old Man » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:19

I was doing entering a search on my V2 and got distracted because I hadn't finished typing before I pressed the button. The result was that I had only inputted 1 letter before I pressed the button. The result was that I had perhaps a hundred new programs that I was trying to record.

Many of these wanted to start immediately and the machine tried to do so. I did manage to stop a few but perhaps a hundred more wanted to start.

It was already late, so I just turned the v2 off. In retrospect I would have been better to just turn the machines power off and loose some recordings which we wanted.

As expected, this morning when I turned the machine on, I could not get past the spikey wheel. I tried this 3 times with the same result.

Where do I go from here? The only thing I can see offering a possible solution is that I notice on the back of the machine a button marker recovery.

This doesn't seem to spell out what it does or how it does it. Does anybody know what this does or have any other better idea?

The Old Man
Master

Re: I stiffed up & am now trying to repair problem I created.

Post by The Old Man » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:58

I should have also asked is there any way to still retrieve any unwatched recordings that the V2 had made?

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Fri Nov 24, 2023 17:04

I have since unplugged the HDD on my V2 and plugged it into my PC but as expected this got me nowhere.

I had an 128GB MicroSD card that I formatted it to Exfat and put it into my V2 and booted up. Again the Spikky wheel stopped at about 49-50% mark.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Nov 24, 2023 18:03

I think you only have two options (unless you're able to shell in?): wait longer, hope it doesn't crash, delete the timers; or reflash.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:48

I managed to have the V2 open for a couple of minutes and got 2 screen shot messages.

I did manages to delete about a hundred programs scheduled to be recorded before the machine seemed to freeze up.

On another post I'm told about the reset button.

"If you hold it in when booting, it will load into the firmware update mode.
It's just a second method for accessing firmware updates in addition to the front button.

A paperclip or anything similarly slim will work."

I am now wondering it I were able to reset the V2 back to the way it was sold and connected another either a SD card or HDD to it that was formatted to Exfat would I be able to start reloading all of my options by recreating favourite lists etc.

If I did this and it worked I might be able to reattach the existing HDD and recover old recordings.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Nov 25, 2023 13:24

Playing with machine just now it almost seemed to be working but the I got 2 more messages.

one says Hard link to Time shift and the other is Auto fix failure

So something is happening
Attachments
Hard link to time shift failed.jpg
Autofix failure.jpg

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Nov 25, 2023 15:31

I just turned V2 again and spikey wheel goes to 50 then tv comes on with "Hard link to time shift failed" message. I select media I see 3 programs recorded last night nothing else, I select EPD I get usual boutique screen which shows what's available and a couple of items coming up for recording.

I can get to is all autotimers so that I can but t only shows 4 small ones that are OK. The hundreds that is causing problems.

Each time I turn machine on again it takes about 5 minutes and then shows TV picture but with the error shown on top of it.

I can now get into the main menu but it takes many seconds before the page changes but at least I should be able to use setup to do some things if that helps.

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Sun Nov 26, 2023 09:59

The first thing I would try would be to delete the autor-timer using OpenWebif, assuming the V2 is networked. Auto-timer is one of the categories on the Left Hand side.

The hard link to timeshift probably got broken when you removed the USB HDD, unless it was to the SD card which I understand many users use for timeshift.

You can also delete recording using OpenWebif.
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sun Nov 26, 2023 14:28

I would love to be able to get back into OpenWeBif but at the moment I can't.

But I can get into Network settings, there are 2 lines, the first appears to be my router and the second it says (beyonwiz2)

I copy the 192.1. etc and enter in the browser. I have a TP link router, but I think that it will need username & Password.

I will have to continue playing with this because I don't know enough to do it myself.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Nov 26, 2023 14:49

There should be more than 2 lines in the network settings if the network is correctly configured on your Beyonwiz. If you wired Ethernet (rather than WiFi) and use DHCP to configure the Beyonwiz's network, the network settings screen (MENU>Setup>Network>Network interface) should look something like this:
1_0_1_210_211_1010_EEEE0000_0_0_0_20231126154056.jpg

In that screen, "IP address" is the network address of the Beyonwiz, and "Gateway" is the network address of your router.

And the network information screen (Menu>Information>Network) should look something like this:
1_0_1_210_211_1010_EEEE0000_0_0_0_20231126154456.jpg

In that screen, "IP" is the network address of the Beyonwiz, and "Gateway" is the network address of your router.

The default setup should be that no username or password is needed to access Open Webif.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Nov 27, 2023 15:38

Thanks for the advice for reconnecting to OpenWebIf I will try that as soon as I finish this update.

I have slowly been picking away at the schedule programs that I would never want and correcting my EPG settings. This entailed selecting many hundred selections one at a time, it's a wonder that I don't have RSI.

The only known problem seems to be from the error I posted above which states that "creating hard link to time shift has failed". What exactly this means I don't know but it might be the only remaining barrier to getting my V2 working correctly again.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Nov 27, 2023 16:35

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 15:38
The only known problem seems to be from the error I posted above which states that "creating hard link to time shift has failed".
That would be due to ExFAT. If you need operability with Windows I would recommend NTFS, otherwise format it using the V2 (ext4).

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Nov 27, 2023 16:45

The HDD in machine must be Exfat because I have been using machine for several years. I also added a spare 128GB Micro SDCard just yesterday although I have yet to see it evidence on the V2 for this on the machine itself, although I may not have looked in correct place.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Nov 27, 2023 17:01

I also set V2 to record a program just now for 2 minutes and it did this OK. It might be that the only problem left is the "the hard link to timeshift".

I still can't get into OpenWebIf because I can't find the used name & password isn't correct, and so far I can't find out where I kept it.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:25

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 17:01
I still can't get into OpenWebIf because I can't find the used name & password isn't correct, and so far I can't find out where I kept it.

You can disable OpenWebif from requiring a password by switching off PLUGIN>OpenWebif>Enable HTTP Authentication. It defaults to off, so it must have been turned on at some time.

Alternatively, you can set the password used for authentication in MENU>Setup>Network>Password. You don't need to know the old password to change the password.

Unfortunately, there isn't a simple way of disabling the password once it has been set.

If OpenWebif asks for a username and password enter "root" (without the quotes) as the username and whatever password you've set up as the password.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:55

Thanks Peter, I can now get into OpenWebIf this should make trying to make any changes both quicker & easier.

I now know that I have lost all of my old recordings but have had managed to have a couple recorded last night. I tried playing one and it played but seems to stutter now and then.

It seems that the main problem now is that when I turn the machine on and it boots, it takes quite a long time before the spiky wheel starts, It gets up to about 50% then another delay and finally what may the biggest remaining problem the message
"Creating hard disk link to timeshift file failed" The file system used for timeshift must support hard links."

Another important thing that I can't find is the called 'File manager' or something like that. Where if I can recall allowed you to cut and paste from like one side to the other.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Nov 28, 2023 13:14

The Old Man wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:55
biggest remaining problem the message
"Creating hard disk link to timeshift file failed" The file system used for timeshift must support hard links."
As I said, the only fix for that is to stop using ExFAT. Or disable timeshift. Or modify the code to automatically disable timeshift without displaying a message (should be easy enough, but getting it released is not).
Another important thing that I can't find is the called 'File manager' or something like that.
The extension is called "File Commander", found in the main menu under "Sources / Files".

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Tue Nov 28, 2023 14:19

Some magic happened. I mentioned that I had a SD card that I formatted to Exfat and put if into the machine. I remembered it & just thought I'd take it out and confirm that It was formatted Exfat it was, and when I opened it on he PC it had all of the handful of programs that I had recorded in the past couple of days.

But better than that when the V2 rebooted this time from a HDD. It displayed all the programs that I had though were lost forever. It also had many dozen other unwanted programs on it which I just deleted.

So all in all everything appears to be 100% and ;d like to thank everyone that offered suggestions. Cheers

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 28, 2023 15:33

The Old Man wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 14:19
the V2 rebooted this time from a HDD.

It never boots from the HDD (a V2 can boot from the SD card, but the Beyonwiz firmware doesn't support that). It boots from internal flash memory.

What happened is that when a Beyonwiz boots, it looks for disk (or disk-like) devices to mount. The first one that gets mounted is mounted as /media/hdd, and the default location for recordings is /media/hdd/movie.

If the V2 has both an SD card in the SD slot and a connected USB HDD, the most likely result is that the SD card will be found and mounted first, and will be mounted as /media/hdd. The USB HDD will be mounted second, and will be mounted as /media/usb.

That's why the recordings that were made while your V2 had both the SD card inserted and a USB HDD connected were made to the SD card. The recordings on the USB HDD were always there, but in /media/usb/movie, rather than in the expected /media/hdd/movie. If you'd known where to look, you'd have been able yo play the recordings on the USB HDD.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Tue Nov 28, 2023 16:42

Thanks for the summation of what happened, it's good to know.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Tue Nov 28, 2023 18:02

It appears that I said that everything was fine again but this isn't so. It seems that most of the other settings have gone walkabout. OpenWebIf or the V2 itself has lost all of my preferences including layout, EPG choices and boutiques etc. So I will have to start all over again.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Nov 29, 2023 08:19

If you re-installed the Beyonwiz firmware from USB, then that will have reset all settings back to the factory defaults unless you restored saved settings after doing the re-install.

OpenWebif doesn't have any separate settings (apart from options that control its display style). It just reflects what the settings on the V2 are.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Thu Nov 30, 2023 18:43

Just when I thought that my V2 was back to normal behaviour I see this on Cutlist editor.

I have no idea how this happened.
Attachments
20231130_094233-02.jpeg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 01, 2023 09:29

The marks are stored in a small binary file associated with the recording (the .cuts file), and it appears to have been messed up somehow.

If you can, just delete the two marks that have timestamps after the timestamp of the end of the recording (EOF), and any others that you don't want.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Topics”