1TB U4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

skozzy
Apprentice

1TB U4

Post by skozzy » Fri Oct 13, 2023 19:10

Several years back I purchased 2 of the 1Tb U4 model PVRs, we used one and left the other boxed since at that time we thought we would use two but didn't.
In that past 5 years or so the only issue we had with the one we were using was the audio would stop working if you powered off the TV or AMP, and it requird a power cycle to start again.
Well tonight I wanted to use it to watch something I downloaded and I am not getting any HDMI output. Tried it on my PC screens as well and still nothing. The file server side of it still works and shows on the network.
So I opened up the other new one that was still sealed and boxed and plugged it in etc, copy over some files and find it doesn't play anything from my nVidia screen repordings of games, nor will will play some MKV videos. So I try the software update and it says it cant find an update or server.
One thing to tackle is updating that unit to play the videos it currently cant, and other thing now is how to access the setup/config of the one where the HDMI has no output. I suspect a gecho was responsible as there is gecho poo on top of the unit.
I downloaded the android app, selected that unit via the IP addess and cant really see how to access the setup menu, I'd like to also change the name of the devices but cant see how to do it.
And is there a place in Brisbane that can service/repair the one without no HDMI output.

skozzy
Apprentice

Re: 1TB U4

Post by skozzy » Fri Oct 13, 2023 19:22

Never mind about the network name part I found how to do that.

I dont want to brick this last working unit, so what method should I use to update the bios/firmware.

skozzy
Apprentice

Post by skozzy » Fri Oct 13, 2023 20:25

Changing the name of one unit doesnt work as I expected, even though they have different IPs on the local network only the last unit powered on will show. The newer one is the default name, the older one I renamed to OldWiz. If I cant see OldWiz on the home network i also cant access it via the webpage (in this case 192.168.1.233) and have to power it off/on again.

The unit where the HDMI is not working can that be updated or do you need a screen to complete it ?.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 14, 2023 13:49

skozzy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 19:22
Never mind about the network name part I found how to do that.

I dont want to brick this last working unit, so what method should I use to update the bios/firmware.
There's only one way, to do a full firmware install from USB.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

skozzy
Apprentice

Post by skozzy » Sat Oct 14, 2023 20:22

I downloaded what I believe is the current version for my U4, still get worried about bricking things when or if it goes wrong.
I will have to read more posts in this forum before I do it. Might be old now but it was expensive at the time.

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Sun Oct 15, 2023 06:56

I have never managed to permanently brick a Beyonwiz (T2, U4 or V2) or for that matter any of my collection of Toppys. I cannot recall any reports of permanently bricking a T2, U4 or V2.
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 13:29

IanL-S wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 06:56
I have never managed to permanently brick a Beyonwiz (T2, U4 or V2) or for that matter any of my collection of Toppys. I cannot recall any reports of permanently bricking a T2, U4 or V2.
Agree completely - I've flashed my various machines (T3, T4. U4s) dozens of times over the years. A couple of times I failed at the first attempt because of clumsiness but all was fine at the second attempt. Hint: don't pull out the power cord or the USB stick mid-flash!
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

skozzy
Apprentice

Post by skozzy » Tue Oct 17, 2023 20:04

Thanks guys, made me feel safer doing it.

I flashed the newer one, was quick and simple, and now plays all the files I saved to it. YAY

The unit which had no HDMI output is now working again, might have been poor connection from sitting for years, I moved it to another location on my PC table and when I powered it up it was working, I guess I would have unplugged and replugged the HDMI about 5 or so times since removing it from the lounge room, the remote control took some work, the PVR was not responding to the remote till I held the power button for maybe 10 seconds. Now that works fine by the looks.

So I done the update on that unit too, and all seems fine. After the reflash I gave it the network name of OldWizU4 but windows doesnt auto find it like it does with the default name, and I had to reboot windows to get it to accept \\OldWizU4 or the IP version of it \\192.168.1.233. The /movie folder is now assign to a share Y:\ and loads the files and folders instantly.

Anyhow, Im happy its back in business, was mostly a file server for me as it was trust worthy all that time over the years.

Even after all this time I still don't know its potential with all those extra addons/apps. Cause it doesnt have a mouse and keyboard its just there doing nothing most times.

Return to “General Topics”