broken remote - can it be replaced with a universal remote?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

aps45

broken remote - can it be replaced with a universal remote?

Post by aps45 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 19:22

Our beyonwiz remote has stopped working despite all cajoling (new batteries, etc, etc).
Is there a brand/model of universal remote that can be used to run the beyonwiz, without having to "teach" it using a working beyonwiz remote? Since obviously we don't have one, so we can't do that.
As we live in rural SA, I would rather try to buy something from our local store to solve the problem quickly, rather than order a beyonwiz replacement at this time of the year. And to get our viewing off the one station it was left on when it died.
Thanks in advance :)

Gully

Re: broken remote - can it be replaced with a universal remote?

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 09, 2022 20:15

That's frustrating for you.

Definitely can be replaced by a universal remote, but I'm not sure how "local" you will find it.

Harmony used to be a popular choice though since they stopped producing remotes they can be harder to find though some are still for sale through eBay etc.

Sofabaton is another brand some people have tried recently.
Cheers
Gully

aps45

Post by aps45 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 20:20

Thanks, we'll see what the local has! Or a trip to Adelaide might be on the list ...
We have an old Harmony remote but despite programming it for the beyonwiz, absolutely no buttons work, and for any problems it says to use the original remote, so I thought that might be an issue with others. Sounds like it isn't a problem with newer models.
cheers :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:28

We use an old Harmony 785 with our Beyonwiz T4. Neither could be said to be "newer models". The 785 works just fine with our T4, but IIRC, it did require a few buttons to be programmed from the original remote.

My main problem with the 785 is that its Harmony programming software (the old Java Logitech Harmony Remote Software) no longer runs on my Mac after the last two major MacOS updates.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “General Topics”