My Machine doesn't know what day it is recording

Moderators: Gully, peteru

robbo
Master

My Machine doesn't know what day it is recording

Post by robbo » Sun May 24, 2020 18:13

Ever since I have had my T2 I have been using the Auto Timer. Generally I set it to check for duplicates using name and all descriptions but lately I noticed I started missing recordings. I assumed it must be a bug in an upgrade or something so I simply changed it to record regardless so now I am getting multiple recordings of the same show and my disc is nearly full with multiples. To free up some space I started looking at recordings and manually deleting duplicates and noticed something really odd as shown by the attached screen dumps.

For example the first one shows I recorded Hawaii Five-0 on Friday May 1, 2020. However the movie details on the right pane shows it was recorded Tuesday May 5.

The show directly above that recording is the same Hawaii Five-0 recorded at the same time on the same date but the second image right pane shows it as being recorded Sunday May 3.

Can anyone help me understand what I need to do to get it fixed, or is this a further sign that my machine is past its use-by date?
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg

prl
Wizard God

Re: My Machine doesn't know what day it is recording

Post by prl » Sun May 24, 2020 18:20

If your T2 is networked, you can get much clearer screenshots by using the Open Webif interface to the T2. Just point your computer's browser at http://beyonwizt2/ and click on the Grab Screenshot in the menu bar on the left.

Then save the image from the browser.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 24, 2020 18:30

robbo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 18:13
For example the first one shows I recorded Hawaii Five-0 on Friday May 1, 2020. However the movie details on the right pane shows it was recorded Tuesday May 5.

The show directly above that recording is the same Hawaii Five-0 recorded at the same time on the same date but the second image right pane shows it as being recorded Sunday May 3.

They look very strange. But which is actually correct when you actually view the recording? Note that the right-hand pane not only shows a different recording time, but also says that the recording has completely different contents from the recordings list (Star Trek vs Hawaii Five-O in the first image and Cheers vs Hawaii Five-O in the second one).

Also, do you have a lot of padding on your recordings? Death in Paradise only runs for about an hour, but some of your recordings of it are about 2 hours.

It also looks like you need to make your AutoTimers a good bit more selective in what they record.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 24, 2020 18:39

Also, what firmware version are you running? (MENU>Information>About>Revision)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun May 24, 2020 18:42

When did you take those photos - on Friday evening (as per date/time in media selection listing) or today?

I don't believe Death in Paradise is shown on a Thursday or Friday (Fridays on ABC, Sundays on 9Gem).
Hawaii Five-0 is shown in the afternoons on a Friday.
Your recording names are jumbled.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sun May 24, 2020 19:37

Hi,

To answer the questions asked:
1. The program that was recorded was Hawaii-Five-0 as indicated. I have attached a screen print of the autotimer settings, taken from Webif as suggested. The photo was taken Friday not today
2. I have attached a screenshot showing details of my system
3. Yes I have heaps of padding because the TV stations keep changing times
4. Yes my autotimers could do with a lot of refining but then it means I will be doing more of their job. My whole goal here is to tell the Wiz what I want to watch and it can look up and find the times for me. That way if another station starts showing the series, or they change time slot, I don't need to worry about it. I did have it set to check for duplicates using name and all descriptions but it started missing shows.
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun May 24, 2020 23:13

robbo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 19:37
1. The program that was recorded was Hawaii-Five-0 as indicated. I have attached a screen print of the autotimer settings, taken from Webif as suggested. The photo was taken Friday not today

I'd be inclined to specify Hawaii Five-O thus -

Code: Select all

<timer name="Hawaii Five-O" match="Hawaii Five-" enabled="yes" avoidDuplicateDescription="2" searchForDuplicateDescription="1" overrideAlternatives="1">
  <bouquet>1:7:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:FROM BOUQUET "userbouquet.favourites.tv" ORDER BY bouquet</bouquet> -- Favourites (TV) --
 </timer>
In other words, searchForDuplicateDescription="1" = a description uniqueness test on title and short description (the program has no extended description).
I see TEN has changed Hawaii Five-O from using an 'O' to using a '0'. So it's probably better to do a start-match on just 'Hawaii Five-'. But in any case, I see this is the last season.
Additionally, I see it's moved from 10/10 HD to 10 BOLD - all the more reason to not specify a service but to specify a bouquet (trimmed of all simulcasts, of course).
The earlier event on Thursday at 20:30 is the premiere episode from season 10, whilst the following one at 21:30 is a repeat from season 4 - so you could do a start-time match if you wanted to exclude the out of season repeat.
These two episodes are repeated again on Fridays - the uniqueness test will exclude those (it does from my definition above).

Have you installed a plugin that phaffs around with the meta data? I believe for the right-hand pane the name, recording date/time, duration, short/extended descriptions for the recording are extracted from the {recording set}.meta file.
Otherwise I can't see how you can have two recordings start from the same (or even a simulcasted) service and same time/duration that present with differing meta data.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 25, 2020 13:31

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 23:13
Have you installed a plugin that phaffs around with the meta data? I believe for the right-hand pane the name, recording date/time, duration, short/extended descriptions for the recording are extracted from the {recording set}.meta file.
Otherwise I can't see how you can have two recordings start from the same (or even a simulcasted) service and same time/duration that present with differing meta data.

Yes, the right-hand pane information is from the .eit metadata file for the recording.

That file is created at recording preparation time (starting 20 sec before the recording started). The recording preparation code searches the EPG for the EPG event corresponding to recording about to be started, using the service reference, event id, and start and end times taken from the recording timer.

It uses the serviceref to select the channel to search in the EPG, then searches for the program by event id, and if that fails, it searches for the evend by time, looking for a program that contains the midpoint time of the (start, end) times in the timer. The (start, end) times used are the padded times, and if there is a large amount of padding compared to the actual runtime of the program, that midpoint may not be in the timeslot of the program actually being recorded, and the time lookup may return the wrong program details.

Getting the wrong event data from the EPG suggests that the timer has an event id that matches the wrong program, or an event id that matches no program.

If the event id matches the wrong program, then it will just be plain wrong.

If the event id doesn't match any program, the time-based matching may match the previous program or the following program. Given that post-padding is usually more than pre-padding, if the wrong program is matched, it will usually be the following program.

This all suggests that somehow the EPG was out of sync with the generated event ids in the timers that AutoTimer created, though it would be a bit difficult to reconstruct. One thing that can cause strangeness like this is the broadcaster changing the event id of a program while it is in the current EPG window. That can throw AutoTimers off its game and result in duplicate recordings, even with the same (or nearly the same) start and end times..

This sort of thing is the main problem with AutoTimers (other than their Baroque complexity): the broadcast EPG data is not well enough curated and doesn't have enough metadata (e.g. repeat flagging) for even really well-configured AutoTimers to work as well as they should.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 25, 2020 15:05

prl wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 13:31
Yes, the right-hand pane information is from the .eit metadata file for the recording.

If we ignore the wrong event name and description, what we appear to have here is the wrong date/time recorded in the meta data.
In the F-M-W skin it doesn't show in the right-pane, where is OverlayHD getting it from?
Where do the date/times for the left-pane come from?
For both Hawaii Five-0 entries, duration and size in the left-pane match those on the right.
Both show in the left-pane as recorded on 1-May starting 13:35, yet the first entry's date/time in the right-pane is 3-May 08:00 and the second entry's date/time is 5-May 10:00.
To me, those times on the right are suspicious (exactly 8am & 10am).

We're told the content is correct, so it has me puzzled.
prl wrote: This all suggests that somehow the EPG was out of sync with the generated event ids in the timers that AutoTimer created, though it would be a bit difficult to reconstruct. One thing that can cause strangeness like this is the broadcaster changing the event id of a program while it is in the current EPG window. That can throw AutoTimers off its game and result in duplicate recordings, even with the same (or nearly the same) start and end times..

I think that's largely mitigated by enabling the AutoTimer setting 'Check existing timer based on begin/end'. If the EIT changes and the "new" event overlaps the unpadded timer by 80% (I think) or more then the timer is updated to match the new event.
Works almost 100% for me. It only fails when the overlap is too small (like say a start-time difference of > 20 mins).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 25, 2020 16:42

The start times and durations in the left-hand pane come from each recording's .ts.meta file (or, IIRC the last modified time for media files).

So, ideally, the LH panel should show the recording's start time & duration, and the RH panel should show the recorded program's start time & duration (presuming that the lookup of the program's EPG entry found the right program and that the EPH isn't tellink porkies)..

The skin has no control over the format of the strings displayed in the left-hand panel. That's all done in MovieList.MovieList.buildMovieListEntry().
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 25, 2020 17:40

prl wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 16:42
So, ideally, the LH panel should show the recording's start time & duration, and the RH panel should show the recorded program's start time & duration (presuming that the lookup of the program's EPG entry found the right program and that the EPH isn't tellink porkies)..

Right, so the EITs for the timers were all screwed up and the recording meta data was fetched from the EPG by matching against EITs that happened to be in the future (2-4 days ahead).

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 25, 2020 17:56

Yes, it seems very likely that there was a mismatch between the EIT ids put into the generated timers and the EIT ids for the shows when the recording was made.

The data needed to try to work out any more detail is now gone (especially the stsre of the EPG).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 25, 2020 19:05

prl wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 17:56
Yes, it seems very likely that there was a mismatch between the EIT ids put into the generated timers and the EIT ids for the shows when the recording was made.

It's almost as if the EPG from another broadcast region was harvested after the timers were set. Or Network TEN botched their EPG.
What's that saying regarding the simplest of explanations?
prl wrote: The data needed to try to work out any more detail is now gone (especially the stsre of the EPG).

I noticed Trevor visited you a few times today :)

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Mon May 25, 2020 19:24

Thanks for the interest and input. Much of it above my head.

I notice a lot of comments about padding. I used to have about 15 minutes before and 25 after but I've now increased that to 15 before and 35 after.

I take the point about changing to record only the prefix because of the change from 0 to O and have made the change.

I will also make a change to "a description uniqueness test on title and short description", though I see that can't be done on the Webif interface (or at least I can't see it there). However I suspect the T2 is grossly underpowered for use with Autotimers doing these kinds of checks. I tried using description uniqueness on all descriptions before but if that made interaction so frustratingly slow. There were times when I had to wait over 3 minutes for the spinner to stop before I could select a recording or even step forward if a recording was playing. I assume that's because it was refreshing it's autotimers and that gets priority over what I am doing/watching. With timers set to no checking, it's still slow but not as slow. In case you're wondering, I have 21 Auto Timers.

Where can I go to get a better understanding of Boquet's and how to use them more effectively in my autotimers. It seems to me that Boquets are just like mini-groupings but I am not really sure how I should set up my Boquets to make them useful.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 25, 2020 20:38

robbo wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 19:24
I will also make a change to "a description uniqueness test on title and short description", though I see that can't be done on the Webif interface (or at least I can't see it there).

Yep, it's not there. Have a read here what OWIF does about the uniqueness check - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14125

You can set the bouquet default, the uniqueness checks, and Guess existing timer by bringing up the AutoTimer definitions list, and -
MENU>>6/Setup
CH- to get to 2nd page
'Guess existing timer based on begin/end'

MENU>>7/Edit new timer defaults
CH- to get to 2nd page
'Require description to be unique' if you want this defaulted when creating an A/T from the GUI
'Check for uniqueness in' -> set this to 'Title and Short description'
and BLUE/Edit Services to set 'Restrict to specific bouquets' and add in your Favourites bouquet

robbo wrote: However I suspect the T2 is grossly underpowered for use with Autotimers doing these kinds of checks. I tried using description uniqueness on all descriptions before but if that made interaction so frustratingly slow. There were times when I had to wait over 3 minutes for the spinner to stop before I could select a recording or even step forward if a recording was playing. I assume that's because it was refreshing it's autotimers and that gets priority over what I am doing/watching. With timers set to no checking, it's still slow but not as slow. In case you're wondering, I have 21 Auto Timers.

21 definitions is nothing. Just don't have the uniqueness check set for 'Any service/recording', as the Wiz will be busier than a one-legged man in an arse kicking competition, spending its time reading through the meta data for all of the recordings to see if there's a match on event title and description. If you have to use it at least ensure the particular definition also uses a custom location.
robbo wrote: Where can I go to get a better understanding of Boquet's and how to use them more effectively in my autotimers. It seems to me that Boquets are just like mini-groupings but I am not really sure how I should set up my Boquets to make them useful.

Previously I showed you the bouquet I have set as my default in AutoTimers - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13804&p=183577#p183576

A year earlier I went through similar with you in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12945
Please have a read of the spiel I wrote about "The Good Doctor" as it should explain some things.

Lastly, a normally quiet, often unheard of forum member wrote this terse guide - "FAQ: Creating, managing and using Favourites lists"
:) :lol:

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 25, 2020 22:02

robbo wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 19:24
Where can I go to get a better understanding of Boquet's and how to use them more effectively in my autotimers. It seems to me that Boquets are just like mini-groupings but I am not really sure how I should set up my Boquets to make them useful.
I don't think it's as complicated as you seen to think.

Just set up your Favourites bouquet with the channels that you normally watch, and then any time you create an autotimer, you can configure it to only look for events that appear on services that are in your Favourites bouquet.

It just helps to stop the autotimer from looking at alternative channels that you don't normally watch.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 25, 2020 22:27

MrQuade wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 22:02
It just helps to stop the autotimer from looking at alternative channels that you don't normally watch.

... or ones that are simulcasts of what you do watch :)

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon May 25, 2020 22:30

MrQuade wrote:
Just set up your Favourites bouquet with the channels that you normally watch, and then any time you create an autotimer, you can configure it to only look for events that appear on services that are in your Favourites bouquet.
Even better go into the menu under Autotimer and set defaults so it is alway restricted to the Favourites bouquet. Then it is set and forget.
Cheers
Gully

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 25, 2020 22:38

Gully wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 22:30
MrQuade wrote:
Even better go into the menu under Autotimer and set defaults so it is alway restricted to the Favourites bouquet. Then it is set and forget.

Did I write in lemon juice?
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 20:38
CH- to get to 2nd page
'Require description to be unique' if you want this defaulted when creating an A/T from the GUI
and BLUE/Edit Services to set 'Restrict to specific bouquets' and add in your Favourites bouquet
:wink:

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 25, 2020 22:52

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 22:27
Simulcast channels would be among the ones you don't normally watch by my (admittedly unstated) definition :).

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon May 25, 2020 22:58

MrQuade wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 22:52
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 22:27
Simulcast channels would be among the ones you don't normally watch by my (admittedly unstated) definition :).

I've seen plenty of Favourites posted on here that have, for example, 7HD and one of the 7s.

I know that you know, but not all of us know :)

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon May 25, 2020 23:23

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 22:38
Did I write in lemon juice?
:wink:
No but I saw MrQuade's post and just wanted to reinforce your suggestion. :D
Cheers
Gully

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Tue May 26, 2020 23:19

The thing I'm unclear about is whether simulcasts are consistent. I don't care about channels, just the show. My preference is to record in HD if it's simulcast, and I must admit, I haven't studied how the simulcasts are organised. My fear is that they might simulcast, for example, on on 7HD and one of the 7SD channels one time, and on two 7SD channels another time. Which channels do I add to my boquet? Are they consistent? Otherwise don't I run the risk of losing a recording I want because I have not put my chosen channel in my boquet.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 26, 2020 23:31

robbo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 23:19
My fear is that they might simulcast, for example, on on 7HD and one of the 7SD channels one time, and on two 7SD channels another time.
They are always the same.

When I say always, there are occasions when channels pull a swifty during sports events when they mix it up a little, but normally....identical.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Tue May 26, 2020 23:38

Ok thanks. I will sit down and research them, figure out which transmit what and try to refine my boquets. Thanks again

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue May 26, 2020 23:39

robbo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 23:19
My fear is that they might simulcast, for example, on on 7HD and one of the 7SD channels one time, and on two 7SD channels another time. Which channels do I add to my boquet? Are they consistent? Otherwise don't I run the risk of losing a recording I want because I have not put my chosen channel in my boquet.
My approach to creating a favourites bouquet is basically to just include all the HD services, and only the SD ones where there is no HD equivalent. Though I leave out shopping services, etc.

So for ABC for example where there is ABC, ABC, ABC HD, ABC News, ABC ME and ABC Comedy/Kids, I would keep all but the first two.

Don't believe I missed anything.
Cheers
Gully

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue May 26, 2020 23:41

MrQuade wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 23:31
When I say always, there are occasions when channels pull a swifty during sports events when they mix it up a little, but normally....identical.

I think that's past us now with 7mateHD being available, thus Seven can show the AFL in HD on either of 7HD or 7mateHD.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Tue May 26, 2020 23:48

I see you are all keeping up with the changes. My problem is that I am not focussed enough to always keep up to date. I was hoping I could just set and forget, but it seems I will need to devote some energy to keeping up with what the stations are doing with all their channel mixes.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue May 26, 2020 23:52

Gully wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 23:39
My approach to creating a favourites bouquet is basically to just include all the HD services, and only the SD ones where there is no HD equivalent. Though I leave out shopping services, etc.

So for ABC for example where there is ABC, ABC, ABC HD, ABC News, ABC ME and ABC Comedy/Kids, I would keep all but the first two.

Don't believe I missed anything.
This is the way.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 27, 2020 10:28

robbo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 23:48
I see you are all keeping up with the changes. My problem is that I am not focussed enough to always keep up to date.

You could always pay IceTV to do the work for you.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Wed May 27, 2020 11:49

Yes, I could. But then it would probably make more sense to pay a few dollars more and get NetFlix which would give me a pile of new shows on demand - an option I will consider if I can't get the Wiz Bouquets sorted out.

I started last light going through and sorting out channels the way I think I want in bouquets but need to do more checks.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 27, 2020 12:10

When you create a bouquet to restrict the channels that AutoTimers uses, it doesn't need to be the bouquet that you use for viewing.

It can be a separate bouquet with a more limited set of channels than say, your Favourites bouquet. You can have as many bouquets as you like.

On Open Webif, use the Add Bouquet button in the BouquetEditor screen, or in the GUI, from live TV, FAV, FAV, MENU>Add bouquet. There's not much special about the Favourites bouquet - it's just created automatically for you, and there are channel list screen shortcuts for adding channels to the Fafourites bouquet.

You'll have to build the bouquet in OpenWebif. The changes that added the shortcuts in the GUI to add services to Favouritesappear to have removed the ability to put services into any other bouquet using the GUI.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed May 27, 2020 12:37

prl wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:10
You'll have to build the bouquet in OpenWebif. The changes that added the shortcuts in the GUI to add services to Favouritesappear to have removed the ability to put services into any other bouquet using the GUI.
Works fine for me, 20200328: MENU > Add service to bouquet > select bouquet. The option is removed if the service already exists in all bouquets; if there's one bouquet it doesn't exist in, that will be named directly.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 27, 2020 14:08

adoxa wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:37
prl wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:10
Works fine for me, 20200328: MENU > Add service to bouquet > select bouquet. The option is removed if the service already exists in all bouquets; if there's one bouquet it doesn't exist in, that will be named directly.

You're quite right. My setup didn't meet the conditions for the menu entry to appear. As soon as I added a new bouquet, the menu entry appeared. :oops:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:00

Hi,

Ok, I have created my Bouquet and now want to set it as part of the defaults for my autotimers. The instructions say:
CH- to get to 2nd page
When I do that and select my Bouquet it brings up my channel list from that Bouquet. How do I save it? Do I need to go through and pick the channels one by one and save them? May I have the rest of the instructions please???

Also, from what I read I should set
Check existing timer based on begin/end
. Where is that setting on my T2?

Thanks
Attachments
temp.png
temp.png (111.5 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:55

robbo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:00

When I do that and select my Bouquet it brings up my channel list from that Bouquet. How do I save it? Do I need to go through and pick the channels one by one and save them? May I have the rest of the instructions please???
You probably forgot to put it into bouquet selection mode.

When you are in the "Enable service restriction screen" the "Editing" setting needs to be set to "Bouquets" before you press the BLUE "New" button.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Jun 07, 2020 00:30

robbo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 23:00
Also, from what I read I should set
Check existing timer based on begin/end
. Where is that setting on my T2?

Path was shown back here - viewtopic.php?p=187419#p186987

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:14

Thanks. Ok, well I've devoted the time and energy to setting it up based on what I've read so now I look forward to a better experience.

Thanks to everyone who contributed for your support

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:31

The Wiz is certainly not as straightforward as I hoped.

I have created a new Bouquet that I use for Auto Timer recordings and I am waiting for existing timers to clear out to see if it works. At present it's still recording shows from 7 and 7HD for instance, where 7 is not in the chosen bouquet (It looks like 7 and 7HD have the same program but one is HD - hope my observation is right). Hopefully when the old Auto Timers run out in a week or so that will fix itself.

I also updated my Favourites bouquet. It is almost the same as the one I use for Auto Timers, just a couple of extra channels, and I have made it my default, so when I hit guide that one comes up. However now I notice the channel numbers are messed up. Channel 70 is now either fifty something or three hundred and something, depending on another setting I found (can't recall where it is right now). Is there any way to get the genuine numbers back without messing up my Bouquet?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:03

robbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:31
I have created a new Bouquet that I use for Auto Timer recordings and I am waiting for existing timers to clear out to see if it works. At present it's still recording shows from 7 and 7HD for instance, where 7 is not in the chosen bouquet (It looks like 7 and 7HD have the same program but one is HD - hope my observation is right). Hopefully when the old Auto Timers run out in a week or so that will fix itself.

Just delete the existing timers.
On its next run, the AutoTimer plugin will match EPG events against the services in the bouquet specified in the individual definitions and generate new timers.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 14:02

robbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:31
I also updated my Favourites bouquet. It is almost the same as the one I use for Auto Timers, just a couple of extra channels, and I have made it my default, so when I hit guide that one comes up. However now I notice the channel numbers are messed up. Channel 70 is now either fifty something or three hundred and something, depending on another setting I found (can't recall where it is right now). Is there any way to get the genuine numbers back without messing up my Bouquet?

Do you need to see the numbers? If you disable setting 'Show channel numbers in channel list and infobar' (Setup>>TV>>Channel selection) then they'll not be shown.

The enigma2 system that runs the PVR doesn't actually use the broadcast LCNs to reference the services, so what you see in the Terrestrial TV LCN bouquet is service entries that have had some "spacer" entries added between the services to pad out the services so as to place them in their list positions that match their broadcast LCN, e.g. -
position 1-10 BOLD, 2-ABC, 3-SBS ONE, 4-spacer, 5-spacer, 6-spacer, 7-Seven, 8-spacer, 9-Channel 9, 10-Ten, 11-10 Peach, 12-10 BOLD, 13-10 HD, e.t.c.
The "spacer" entries aren't shown in the channel list (FAV button) screen.

In live TV, when you enter a number to zap to a new service, the index-position in the current bouquet matching that entered number is then used to identify the target service for the zap operation.

The setting 'Alternative numbering mode' (Setup>>TV>>Channel selection) controls whether the bouquet contents are loaded into memory with the index positions sequentially numbered carrying over from one bouquet to the next (setting disabled) or with the index positions renumbered from 1 for each bouquet loaded (setting enabled).
Obviously, the order of the bouquets has an influence on the numbering when that setting is disabled.

Taking your 'RobSue Favourites' from an earlier post of yours as an example, if you want to keep LCN-like numbering, you won't be able to keep the same broadcaster grouping nor ordering as you showed.

You can use OpenWebif to pad out your Favourites bouquet.
Click on 'BouquetEditor' to open the Bouquet Editor panels. In the top-right quadrant, click-and-hold the "hamburger" icon of the Favourites bouquet and drag it to the top position; the Favourites bouquet is now first in the list of bouquets.
Then to clear out the caching in OWIF, select another main task, say Box Info or AutoTimer, then re-select BouquetEditor (this will have OWIF re-number the bouquet entries).
Select your Favourites bouquet.
Then a select a service, and click on the 'Add Spacer' button to add a "blank" spacer entry which will be added before that selected position (this "blank" won't show in the FAV button channel list. Repeat the adding of spacer entries as necessary to pad out the actual services so their index position matches their broadcast LCN.
Use the "hamburger" icon to drag and drop services to their correct index position.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 14:51

Thanks for all those explanations.

I didn't realise that
The enigma2 system that runs the PVR doesn't actually use the broadcast LCNs to reference the services
It seems to me that it would be useful if the display of the broadcast LCN was an optional display column, so we could easily see what number to ZAP to, but not necessarily a sort column so we could keep our desired order. However I am sure there's a reason for that,

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 15:24

robbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 14:51
It seems to me that it would be useful if the display of the broadcast LCN was an optional display column, so we could easily see what number to ZAP to, but not necessarily a sort column so we could keep our desired order. However I am sure there's a reason for that,

That's never bothered me as I don't have the pseudo-LCN numbers show on my boxes, and I zap using either the channel list (FAV) or the EPG.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jun 11, 2020 16:37

robbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 14:51
Thanks for all those explanations.

I didn't realise that
The enigma2 system that runs the PVR doesn't actually use the broadcast LCNs to reference the services

I've had 3 goes at implementing "proper" LCNs in the Beyonwiz firmware. It turns out to be more difficult than you might think, especially that the same service can have more than one LCN assigned to it (not used, as far as I know, in Australia, but it is permitted by the standard).

I may have another go at it sometime.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 23:28

Well I cleared the timers and waited. Nothing.
When I checked through WebOS and tried to parse it found no matching events.
I rebooted the box and all it would display was the Channel 7 related channels, even though the others were on the list, it would simply jump past them.
So I entered 90 and zapped, then the nine series started working.
Tried the same with the other channels and all but SMS would work.
Then I tried re syncing all the Perth channels, selected my favourites bouquet, and selected a channel from it.
Finally it seemed to start working.
I then tried running my Autotimers again and, with no other changes, it started working.
However I am attaching a copy of the message that appeared after the Autotimers started running, and appeared to be working. I have no idea what it means or if it will keep coming up. I took a photo rather than screen print to save time.

This box seems awfully unpredictable. I still don't know if my autotimers are going to work properly and reliably but my wife didn't want to spend the night with me trying to get the Wiz working so I've left it. I would welcome any thoughts as to what's going wrong with this unit
Attachments
Temp.jpg

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 14, 2020 08:03

robbo wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 23:28

I rebooted the box and all it would display was the Channel 7 related channels, even though the others were on the list, it would simply jump past them.
So I entered 90 and zapped, then the nine series started working.
If you had entries that were getting jumped over, it likely means that all your tuners are occupied on other channels for recordings and there isn't a tuner available to tune to a new live view channel.

Note that if you try to use the lcn numbers to change channels now that you have bouquets set up, you will likely end up bouncing between your Bouquets when you don't necessarily want to.

If personally advise to get out of the habit of using the channel numbers to change channels.
Otherwise, you will have to set up your Favourites bouquet in lcn order and add all the necessary dummy channel spacers to fill in the "unused" lcns.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:30

If you had entries that were getting jumped over, it likely means that all your tuners are occupied on other channels for recordings and there isn't a tuner available to tune to a new live view channel.
No, that wasn't it. I had wiped all my timers, hoping AutoTimer would reimplement them but it hadn't. That's why I rebooted. Even after that none would work until I remapped all the channels, so nothing was recording at the time
disable setting 'Show channel numbers in channel list and infobar' (Setup>>TV>>Channel selection)
After doing that and saving the change, this is what the guide looks like. Should those numbers not have disappeared? Do I need to reboot?
Attachments
temp.png

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:46

robbo wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:30
disable setting 'Show channel numbers in channel list and infobar' (Setup>>TV>>Channel selection)
After doing that and saving the change, this is what the guide looks like. Should those numbers not have disappeared? Do I need to reboot?

Dunno, I don't have them, I have the service picon instead.
Maybe it's an OverlayHD thing?
Attachments
EPG_picons_no_nbr.png
FAV_channel_list_no_nbr.png

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:56

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:46
robbo wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:30

Dunno, I don't have them, I have the service picon instead.

Oh, yeah I think I do know.
EPG, MENU>>Service Title mode - change it to one of the values without 'Service Number'.

Return to “General Topics”