moving my T3 between TV sets - no channels

Moderators: Gully, peteru

REDark
Apprentice

moving my T3 between TV sets - no channels

Post by REDark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:48

Hi
I'm trying to set up my T3 on a different TV. I want to be able to view previous recordings (which I can do) but also want to keep recording things.

But the EPG on the T3 is empty and when I scan for channels 0 are found. (the epg on the TV is fine)

The T3 doesn't have todays date on it and I can't find any way to input it. The wizard doesn't come up because I guess the machine already thinks it's been configured?

Also, when I stop a previous recording the picture on the TV freezes and I have to turn the T3 on and off again to move around to another recoding.

Are the TV and T3 are fighting with each other? Have I just messed up the connections?

Thanks
L

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: moving my T3 between TV sets - no channels

Post by MrQuade » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57

REDark wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:48
Are the TV and T3 are fighting with each other? Have I just messed up the connections?
They shouldn't compete with each-other in the way you are describing, it is likely the antenna connection is just messed up.

You need to make sure the T3 has a connection to the TV antenna basically.

If you don't have any spare antenna points at that location, then your best option is to buy a two way antenna splitter, and send one leg to the TV, and the other leg to the T3's first tuner. The T3's other tuners will then be fed by the little daisy chain loopback connections.

If you are in an area with low TV signal strength, then you might want to consider buying a powered splitter. If you have strong signal, then there should be no need, and you can buy a cheap passive splitter. Bunnings, or your local electronics shop will have these.

The T3 will get its time either from the TV signal, or from a network time source if you have it connection to a network. It has no way of retaining the time when it is shut down, so setting the time manually, is not all that useful. It is usually better to keep the time synced to an external source like the TV signal or network anyway, since that will overcome the natural clock drift in pretty much any consumer device.

If you can't source a splitter, then the next best option would be to plug the antenna directly into the T3, then plug the TV's antenna connection into the T3's last tuner passthrough port.

This method has two drawbacks though. You then can't use the T3's USB tuner (if you have one), and also, the TV will lose the antenna signal if you ever turn the T3 off. (you can put the T3 into standby and the TV's antenna connection will still work, but you can't use the T3's "Deep Standby" mode).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

REDark
Apprentice

Re: moving my T3 between TV sets - no channels

Post by REDark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 13:04

Thanks.

Return to “General Topics”