Getting drop outs when playing videos

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Gully

Getting drop outs when playing videos

Post by Gully » Thu Feb 06, 2020 14:19

Trying to work out what is causing this problem so I would appreciate any insight, etc.

Not sure when it started happening and it only happens with downloaded videos played over my network. I'll lose sound and video for about a second or so at irregular times when playing the videos but it is always repeatable, so rewinding/jumping back will repeat the behaviour.

It doesn't seem like it is the source files or the networked computer as I can play the same file with Kodi on my Nvidia Shield and they play perfectly.

FW is v19.3.20191106, everything is connected by ethernet and HDMI to a Denon AVR and then to the TV.
Cheers
Gully

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Getting drop outs when playing videos

Post by MrQuade » Thu Feb 06, 2020 14:48

Gully wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 14:19
Not sure when it started happening and it only happens with downloaded videos played over my network. I'll lose sound and video for about a second or so at irregular times when playing the videos but it is always repeatable, so rewinding/jumping back will repeat the behaviour.

It doesn't seem like it is the source files or the networked computer as I can play the same file with Kodi on my Nvidia Shield and they play perfectly.
So the same downloaded files are ok when played from the U4's harddisk?
How about recordings that you have copied to the PC then played on the U4 over the network?
I'll assume this is SMB if the files are stored on your PC.

Do you have automatic resolution/refresh modes enabled? If so, have you tried a fixed res/refresh?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Feb 06, 2020 16:18

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 14:48
So the same downloaded files are ok when played from the U4's harddisk?
No they exhibit the same problems. I don't believe it is the network.
How about recordings that you have copied to the PC then played on the U4 over the network?
From what I can see they are fine though I might need to view some more to be sure.
I'll assume this is SMB if the files are stored on your PC.
You assume correctly. :D
Do you have automatic resolution/refresh modes enabled? If so, have you tried a fixed res/refresh?
It was on auto so I just tried fixed res and multi refresh and didn't get the same behaviour.

So maybe that is where the problem is though not sure why, within a single file though I guess might be using some change of compression from scene to scene.
Cheers
Gully

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Feb 06, 2020 17:50

Gully wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 16:18
So maybe that is where the problem is though not sure why, within a single file though I guess might be using some change of compression from scene to scene.
The media player seems to be mis-detecting a change in the video mode/res and adjuting to suit.

I have noticed that the 19.3 firmware seems to be more prone to strange switches at the start or end of recording playback, but I've never had it mid-playback of downloaded media like you describe.

I think that the media player updates in 19.3 have probably introduced some bugs (maybe to deal with the V2's oddities, as we had all sorts of teething issues with playback on that at first).

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Feb 06, 2020 18:38

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 17:50

The media player seems to be mis-detecting a change in the video mode/res and adjuting to suit.

I have noticed that the 19.3 firmware seems to be more prone to strange switches at the start or end of recording playback, but I've never had it mid-playback of downloaded media like you describe.

I think that the media player updates in 19.3 have probably introduced some bugs (maybe to deal with the V2's oddities, as we had all sorts of teething issues with playback on that at first).
Thanks for that. It does provide some confirmation so I might just have to stick to fixed resolution for now or at least until there are any updates on the media player.
Cheers
Gully

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 07:10

Gully wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 18:38
MrQuade wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 17:50

Thanks for that. It does provide some confirmation so I might just have to stick to fixed resolution for now or at least until there are any updates on the media player.

I play a lot of downloaded content on fixed resolution settings with no problems so it does suggest there may be problems with auto resolution. I do recall having some content freeze up when partway through playback when it was auto over Xmas, so this would have been on 20191106 FW.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:02

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 07:10
I do recall having some content freeze up when partway through playback when it was auto over Xmas, so this would have been on 20191106 FW.
Auto Resolution shouldn't have cause a total freeze, rather, when it gets confused, it just causes a HDMI re-sync, which can blank the screen temporarily as the re-sync occurs, or if you are unlucky, will blank the screen indefinitely if the re-sync fails (as can happen with with certain *cough*LG*cough* models).

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:12

LG being the common factor perhaps?

I wasn't in the room at the time but the complaint was of a frozen screen. Can't recall if it was all black.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:12
LG being the common factor perhaps?
No, mine is a Sony.
Cheers
Gully

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:38

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:12
I wasn't in the room at the time but the complaint was of a frozen screen. Can't recall if it was all black.
A frozen screen is a result of a more subtle bug, but is also related to screen mode changes. This frozen screen bug may be another LG (semi)specific interaction. It also only happens on the U4.

The U4 will play the video in the background, so you can hear the audio, and you can even bring up the GUI, but the video image doesn't change. To fix this, you just need to pause and play, or skip once, and everything comes good.

Honestly this frozen screen bug is pretty much guaranteed to happen on my set, and I am just in the habit of starting videos and skipping immediately to overcome it.

It has been reported, but I don't think much can be done about it.

Return to “General Topics”