Lose T2 Audio if switch AVR between STD/ENH HDMI

Moderators: Gully, peteru

exitguy
Master

Lose T2 Audio if switch AVR between STD/ENH HDMI

Post by exitguy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54

Onkyo TX-NR696 - Premium HDMI cable from Onkyo to Sony X9000F Enhanced HDMI/ARC

T2, IQ3 & PC connected to Onkyo for video passthrough and audio processing using Standard HDMI cables, same manufacturer, same length (50cm) and which state "Conforms to HDMI Ver 2.0 Specification. Data rates up to 10.2 Gbps." - should be ample for video & audio from these devices.

BD/DVD player connected to Onkyo for video passthrough and audio processing using Premium HDMI cable which works perfectly for both 4K UHD HDR Video & Audio.

The Onkyo has the option to select either 4K HDMI STD or 4K HDMI ENH as the preferred HDMI

The issue in regard to the T2 is no audio when using 4K HDMI ENH setting:
Video - no problem with video, it is always output regardless of whether 4K HDMI STD or 4K HDMI ENH is selected.
Audio - When set to 4K HDMI STD the T2, IQ3 and PC all output audio, however, when set to 4K HDMI ENH there is no audio from the T2

Apologies for the long post, just wanted to make sure all details were covered to give as much info for a possible solution.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Lose T2 Audio if switch AVR between STD/ENH HDMI

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:01

The T2 isn't compatible with Enhanced HDMI mode.
Only the T4, U4 and V2 will tolerate that mode and maintain audio.

You'll need to plug the T2 directly into the TV into a port that doesn't have enhanced mode enabled.

This presumes that your Onkyo is like my Denon receiver, and that the enhanced mode setting is attached to the Receiver's HDMI output and not settable per-input.

This is common on devices that are only HDMI 1.x compatible, like older DVD players or VCRs, and is the reason why the setting can be enabled or disabled on your video gear (to maintain compatibility).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:01
The T2 isn't compatible with Enhanced HDMI mode. Only the T4, U4 and V2 will tolerate that mode and maintain audio.

You'll need to plug the T2 directly into the TV into a port that doesn't have enhanced mode enabled.

This presumes that your Onkyo is like my Denon receiver, and that the enhanced mode setting is attached to the Receiver's HDMI output and not settable per-input.

This is common on devices that are only HDMI 1.x compatible, like older DVD players or VCRs, and is the reason why the setting can be enabled or disabled on your video gear (to maintain compatibility).
Bugger, did have it connected directly but with the new AVR I am running everything through that for ease. Though that would be a good idea to save a heap of cables. Well, wonder if BY are doing any "trade-up" offers to go from a T2 to the V2 ???

Interesting that the PC and IQ3 work with ENH selected, a temporary solution is to set the AVR back to STD when using the T2 and ENH when using the other devices. Such a shame the it needs to be done via the front panel otherwise I could programme the Harmony 650 to do the setting. Might get on the Onkyo Support and see if there is any way to do it via IR.

That's for the quick response and answer, much appreciated.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44

exitguyaus wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34
Well, wonder if BY are doing any "trade-up" offers to go from a T2 to the V2 ???
They have done several trade-in details for old PVRs since the V2 released. Might be worth hanging around until another one pops up.
exitguyaus wrote:
Interesting that the PC and IQ3 work with ENH selected, a temporary solution is to set the AVR back to STD when using the T2 and ENH when using the other devices. Such a shame the it needs to be done via the front panel otherwise I could programme the Harmony 650 to do the setting. Might get on the Onkyo Support and see if there is any way to do it via IR.
Yea it can be really hit or miss. I have some quite old gear that doesn't mind it, but other stuff won't have a bar of it.

You should also check the colours on any of your legacy equipment too. You may notice that the colours are incorrectly saturated when that setting is enabled. This is another possible symptom of an incompatibility, though a bit less obvious.

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 21:51

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44
exitguyaus wrote:
Might get on the Onkyo Support and see if there is any way to do it via IR.
Yea it can be really hit or miss. I have some quite old gear that doesn't mind it, but other stuff won't have a bar of it.
Got onto Onkyo Support - can only be changed via the front panel but they have noted changing via IR code would be a good solution.

Thinking this afternoon - have come up with a simple solution to get both Video & Audio even though the Onkyo will be set to 4K HDMI ENH --
Video via existing HDMI cable from T2 to Onkyo - know video works so that side is taken care of.
Audio via S/PDIF cable from T2 to Onkyo Optical TV, in the Onkyo assign Audio Input for the StrmBox (aka PVR) to Optical TV

Will setup tomorrow, if it works would be a quick & easy solution for not only me but possibly others that purchase newer AVRs with older gear that cannot support 4K HDMI ENH formats for Audio & Video
Will post back with results on my revised setup and test.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Jan 21, 2020 22:36

Ok, the optical workaround should get your audio back, but just be mindful of those colours too. They're likely to be a bit off.

If Onkyo have a discrete code to turn enhanced mode on and off, then that is a bonus. You can program that into an universal remote sequence when you switch to the T2. A Harmony 650 or better is recommended by me.

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 09:11

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 22:36
but just be mindful of those colours too. They're likely to be a bit off.
Anywhere I can get the settings that I should use once I switch to ENH but want the old STD settings so colours are OK ??

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jan 22, 2020 13:32

exitguyaus wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 09:11

Anywhere I can get the settings that I should use once I switch to ENH but want the old STD settings so colours are OK ??
I don't understand your question.

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 15:20

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 13:32
exitguyaus wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 09:11

I don't understand your question.
You say that going to ENH may change the colour space, if that is the case is there anywhere that has settings or adjustments you use to put the colours back to similar when STD was being used,

p.s. Audio working perfectly via S/PDIF with HDMI 4K ENH setting

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Jan 22, 2020 20:40

There isn't any place to fix the colours.

If you aren't seeing any problem though, you can ignore it.

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 21:52

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 20:40
There isn't any place to fix the colours.

If you aren't seeing any problem though, you can ignore it.
Flipped between STD & ENH, 1080i & 1080p - all look pretty much the same so I've set it and Thunderbirds are Go !!!
That has to be the cheapest HT fix I've ever made, had the S/DIF in a drawer as a spare from the Denon and think it only cost me $5

Return to “General Topics”