BW T2 failing HDMI

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Hostile17
Apprentice

BW T2 failing HDMI

Post by Hostile17 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 19:33

Hi all.

Wondering if anyone else here has had experience of a T2 that intermittently looses HDMI output ?

It’s been working fine for years and years.
Lately the T2 will intermittently drop HDMI and the tv will display no connection for 5-10 seconds. Then it will recover and continue. This happens multiple times each night.

I think it is getting more frequent too.

It might be time to replace the T2.

It is running hot too. I actually have a small USB powered fan plugged into the front USB port and this has helped.

Before I setup the fan, it would do it even more frequently and for longer periods. I have tried the usual restart and shutdowns. Hasn’t made any improvement.

Thoughts ?

Should I be looking at the new v2 ? (Side question, have the tuners improved any ? , the T2 is really bad in marginal areas. )

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Re: BW T2 failing HDMI

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 16:23

Hi,
Hostile17 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 19:33
Wondering if anyone else here has had experience of a T2 that intermittently loses HDMI output ?

Only happened once, sort of, but it stopped working completely. :roll:
Possibly due to a power surge when I accidentally shorted some wiring on the same circuit as the TV Signal amp. Only killed one T2's HDMI, the other is fine. NFI how or why.
It’s been working fine for years and years.

Mine too.
It might be time to replace the T2.

Yes. Unless the HDMI cable is faulty.
Should I be looking at the new v2 ?

Yes, that's what I did. Bought a 512GB Samsung SD. Seems OK. Only set it up, and recorded a few shows to test it.
(Side question, have the tuners improved any ? , the T2 is really bad in marginal areas. )

I bought a U4 to replace a previous T2 that suffered somewhat after a lightning strike. That time the LAN failed, then later, the T2 died. A T2 (2 down, 1 to go) went travelling a bit in our caravan, and didn't get channels in areas which the TV could. U4 doesn't seem any better. The V2 hasn't been travelling yet, but the Signal & Quality indications are way down compared to the T2 & U4 at our home. How that relates to actual S & Q I don't know, it isn't breaking up at home. Only have the 2 internal tuners in the V2 ATM, the USB Dual tuner is delayed. I'll be taking it for a short trip sometime in the caravan to test it out.

The HDMI failed on the U4 once, while in the caravan. Not down to me this time! That was replaced by BW. At least the V2 has AV Out, so I'll be taking some cabling. :)

dRdoS7

Hostile17
Apprentice

Post by Hostile17 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 16:46

Looks like I’ll be ordering the V2 soon.
It’s definitely not the cable that’s faulty. I’ve tried 2 different ones. Even tried a pass through the pioneer amp hoping that might solve things. Doesn’t matter if it’s connected straight to the tv or through the amp. Same thing is happening.

I just wish that beyonwiz would fix their poor tuner performance issues. This has been an ongoing thing for some time now. The tv can pick up clean signals where the BW can’t.

It’s about the only downside to otherwise great units.

Thanks

Jason.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:04

It's possible that the problem is an intermittent fault in the HDMI socket on the T2.

Remember that if you get a V2, it doesn't take an internal HDD. You can use your T2's HDD if you put it into a USB HDD case, though. That way you can still access your old recordings without having to transfer them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Hostile17
Apprentice

Post by Hostile17 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22

Thinking about it, I think the socket might be the issue too.
Sometimes when it would disappear the hdmi signal, when I went behind it and moved stuff it would come back.

Good to know the hdd is compatible. (As in the recordings)

Thanks.

Saving for the V2 now.

Jason.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30

Hostile17 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22
Good to know the hdd is compatible. (As in the recordings)

The default filesystem format is the same on all T/U/V series models, too, if factory formatted or formatted from the PVR's GUI. The filesystem format is Linux ext4.

It's generally not a good idea to use the saved settings from one device on a different one. It's a very bad idea indeed to do that if you IceTV (the IceTV user token is generated (at least in part) from the device's Ethernet MAC address).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Hostile17
Apprentice

Post by Hostile17 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 13:34

I wouldn’t try to use the drive as is. Just grab the recordings off it.

Might leave it connected to the network just for that reason.

Thanks.

Jason.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:40

Hi,
Hostile17 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 13:34
I wouldn’t try to use the drive as is. Just grab the recordings off it.

Might leave it connected to the network just for that reason.

Thanks.

Jason.

You can also operate it remotely, set recordings, etc. Cover the remote sensor, and it can be in the same room. More tuners than you can shake TV Guide at. :)

dRdoS7

Hostile17
Apprentice

Post by Hostile17 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:49

That’s a great idea.

Thanks.

Jason.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jan 20, 2020 21:08

It will also operate as a networked tuner backend for a device running Kodi, or Plex.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “General Topics”