EPG - display blank, no channel names or content

Moderators: Gully, peteru

asteele
Apprentice

EPG - display blank, no channel names or content

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:13

Howdy All,

My EPG (populated by ICETV) has been working great for years, but is now showing an almost blank screen, with no channels being listed at all.

I recently played with my Favourites group and added in some missing TV channels, found I was previously missing ABC news and a few others.
I then wasn't happy with the order, so I removed all channels from Favourite, and then re-added them in my order of preference (my own OCD issues maybe at play here).

I was happy with my work up until this point, but when I pressed the EPG button - the display was no longer showing any channel names or content at all.

I verified my ICETV login was OK and enabled, I rebooted - twice - but no joy.

I then left it overnight hoping the pixies would fix it, but this morning it is just the same.

I then did a full re-scan of channels, and then found EPG was back working great again.

I rejoiced by playing with the EPG font settings etc, which looked brilliant when I was done.

However, a short time later and I am back to a blank EPG guide with no channels or content being listed.

Does anyone please know what I could be doing to upset it?

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Antony.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: EPG - display blank, no channel names or content

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:21

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:13
I recently played with my Favourites group and added in some missing TV channels, found I was previously missing ABC news and a few others.
I then wasn't happy with the order, so I removed all channels from Favourite, and then re-added them in my order of preference (my own OCD issues maybe at play here).

You didn't need to go that far - you can edit the bouquet to move/delete services.
asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:13
I was happy with my work up until this point, but when I pressed the EPG button - the display was no longer showing any channel names or content at all.

Don't enable setting EPG cache reload (MENU>>Setup>>TV>>EPG settings).

Is favourites your _active_ bouquet?

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:49

Hi Geoff,

Thank you - How can I determine if favourites is my active_bouquet?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:00

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:49
Thank you - How can I determine if favourites is my active_bouquet?

Bring up the EPG. Look above the grid timeline. Does it show 'Favourites (TV)'?
Alternatively, from live TV, press FAV to bring up the channel/services list. The current bouquet is shown on the top line, right-hand end.

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:09

The EPG shows "Favourites (TV)" in the top left, but no channels are listed.

From Live TV, if I press the FAV button, then I can see my channels, but the top right corner shows "(TV)" - doesnt show Favourites.

I think that I may have upset things by my last setting change, which was in Setup->TV->EPG Settings where for reasons unknown I changed "keep old EPG for minutes" from 0 to 15.

I have since changed it back, but it hasnt changed the outcome (yet).

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:19

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:09

From Live TV, if I press the FAV button, then I can see my channels, but the top right corner shows "(TV)" - doesnt show Favourites.
You didn't accidentally delete the whole bouquet when you deleted your Favourites services before maybe?
Perhaps the Wiz is just confused as to which bouquet you have selected.

Press FAV, then FAV again to bring up the list of bouquets.
Select "Favourites (TV)".
Then zap to any service, then exit Favourites.

That should make sure that the Wiz knows to use the Favourites (TV) bouquet by default.
asteele wrote:
I think that I may have upset things by my last setting change, which was in Setup->TV->EPG Settings where for reasons unknown I changed "keep old EPG for minutes" from 0 to 15.
No, that shouldn't affect anything. All you'd see is a small gap in the EPG before the current time, which would eventually be filled in as time passes.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:21

asteele wrote:

Do you have setting Enable multiple bouquets enabled (MENU>>Setup>>TV>>Channel selection)? It sounds like it might be disabled.

Use FAV to switch bouquets (CH +/-) and then select a service from within that bouquet.
Then perhaps do an IceTV EPG & timerd fetch.

I think there's a bug in the EPG display. For me it's showing Favourites when the infobar and FAV correctly report Terrestrial TV LCN as the bouquet.

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:26

Maybe I did delete/damage the bouquet - but I thought I only removed all the entries Favourites.
I did since do a re-scan though, so would that repair it?

When in LiveTV, if I press FAV a 2nd time, nothing changes - I do not get a list of bouquets to choose from.

Screenshot attached!
Attachments
IMG_20191231_1422215.jpg

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:35

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:26
When in LiveTV, if I press FAV a 2nd time, nothing changes - I do not get a list of bouquets to choose from.
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:21
Do you have setting Enable multiple bouquets enabled (MENU>>Setup>>TV>>Channel selection)? It sounds like it might be disabled.

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:48

Wow, you are a rock star!

Yes, not sure how or when or why - but Enable multiple bouquets was not enabled!

Now when I single press FAV I can see the bouquet list, and I can select the Favourites (TV), Last Scanned, Terrestrial TV LCN options
Can I make the Fav button default to Favourites TV? It currently always offers me a choice.

If I come out and go back in, I always get the choice offered on the first press of FAV.

The EPG has burst into life, and also offers me the three bouquet options.
If I select Favourites, then it is still blank with no channels - but if I select Terrestial, then it is all populated.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:16

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 13:48
Now when I single press FAV I can see the bouquet list, and I can select the Favourites (TV), Last Scanned, Terrestrial TV LCN options
Can I make the Fav button default to Favourites TV? It currently always offers me a choice.

Have you enabled FAV, MENU>Configuration>Always show bouquets? If that's enabled, what you're seeing is the intended behaviour of that setting.

If that setting is enabled, disable it, exit the configuration screen with GREEN Save, and then select Favourites (TV), then select a channel from the favourites list. If you don't do that last step, it won't change to using Favourites (TV) as your current bouquet.

I'd recommend only changing one or two settings at a time while you're not familiar with the PVR. There are a lot of settings and their behaviour isn't always as well-described as it might be, though I think the description for "Always show bouquets" is OK.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:30

OK, Always show bouquets has been disabled under FAV menu, and also under EPG too. :)

Now when I go into Fav, it takes me to my Favourites bouquet directly - and when I press EPG it also shows my Favourites bouquet too!

Thanks very much for clearing up those settings!

I can now confirm that both the Fav and EPG screens are consistent in both showing "Favourites (TV)" as their selected bouquet.

But, I can see that my EPG guide only displays for the Terrestial bouquet, and still remains blank for the Favourites (TV).

Should I be resetting the bouquets by re-scanning again? I did try a reboot already, but it didnt make a difference.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:46

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:30
But, I can see that my EPG guide only displays for the Terrestial bouquet, and still remains blank for the Favourites (TV).

Should I be resetting the bouquets by re-scanning again? I did try a reboot already, but it didnt make a difference.
That means that your Favourites is empty, you will need to add services to Favourites now.

Rescanning won't help, that will just repopulate the Terrestrial and Last Scanned bouquets.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:48

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:30
I can now confirm that both the Fav and EPG screens are consistent in both showing "Favourites (TV)" as their selected bouquet.

I'm not sure what you're describing. You say that "Fav and EPG screens are consistent in both showing "Favourites (TV)" as their selected bouquet." but also that "EPG guide only displays for the Terrestial bouquet". I'm not really sure what you're seeing (or not seeing).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:58

I was trying to describe that I am getting correct behaviour now in being able to pick a preferred bouquet under the FAV button, which also defines the bouquet preference under EPG. EPG works great if I have used used FAV to select Last Scanned or Terrestial bouquets as my preference.

But, if I use the FAV button to pick and display my favourites bouquet, then I can do this - but the first entry in the list looks odd - but I can scroll down past it to view all channels and I can pick any channel to now start watching OK - so I do have entries in my Favourite bouquet... but EPG wont display any channels.

I think that I have managed to corrupt my Favourites somehow.

The first entry is "365 <n/a> " with only the subsequent entries being real channels, such as "366 ABC HD ", "367 ABC NEWS" and so on.

I can all delete the entries in Favourites except for the first one "365 <n/a> " which I am guessing is a corruption.

Is there a way to fully empty favourites rather than manually deleting each entry? ... as I can not delete the first item on the list being "365 <n/a> ".

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 14:59

My bet is the Favourites bouquet has been populated with duplicates. Check out the previously posted screenshot.

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 15:18

I tried removing all entries in Favourites, but am left with one I can't remove - I am making a wild assumption that this is a corrupted entry that is preventing the EPG from displaying.

If I try to click on it to select it as a channel, then nothing happens.

If I add a few simple entries into my Favourites bouquet, I can see them OK - but the EPG refuses to work.
Attachments
IMG_20191231_1615095.jpg
IMG_20191231_1615095.jpg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
IMG_20191231_1615280.jpg

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 15:26

I just created a new bouquet, and added a few services into it - and it and the EPG for it works fine.

If there is no easy way for me to remove the corrupted entry from the Favourites bouquet, then I shall just ignore it and run with a new bouquet instead! :)

Thank you all so much for your help today - so very much appreciated!

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 15:53

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 15:26
If there is no easy way for me to remove the corrupted entry from the Favourites bouquet, then I shall just ignore it and run with a new bouquet instead! :)

Try using OpenWebif's BouquetEditor to remove the "N/A" service.
Use it also to populate your Favourites, then drag 'n drop the services in to your desired order.
You can multi-select services from the provider list to be added to the bouquet. There's an old screenshot of it in this post.

Also, to have your services be numbered from 1 on the box, set 'Alternative numbering mode' to enabled (FAV, MENU>>Configuration...).
This doesn't alter the numbering in OWIF however, as in there it's always sequentially numbered from the last number in the previous bouquet.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 15:58

Also, change the overscan setting in your TV. Usually it's found in the aspect ratio settings section (just scan, just fit, dot-by-dot, per-pixel, 1:1 pixels, et. al.).

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:00

That's brilliant, OpenWebif's BouquetEditor was able to delete the Favourite (TV) bouquet and the rogue entry along with it.

Thank you all again very much.

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:09

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 15:58
Also, change the overscan setting in your TV. Usually it's found in the aspect ratio settings section (just scan, just fit, dot-by-dot, per-pixel, 1:1 pixels, et. al.).
I have tried to correct this - I presume you saw I was missing a little of the left hand side in the EPG screenshot.
I can use the TV to fix, but by doing so I break the position of the status bar info display I get when pressing OK, or when changing channels.

I can't fix one without breaking the other - so I decided to put up with the EPG screen position instead!

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:11

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:09
I can use the TV to fix, but by doing so I break the position of the status bar info display I get when pressing OK, or when changing channels.

I can't fix one without breaking the other - so I decided to put up with the EPG screen position instead!
How is the infobar broken when fixing the TV overscan?
It should just display to the edges off the screen.

If it doesn't display like that, then you have probably played with the OSD scaling. You should fix the TV overscan and set the Wiz do that the GUI guild the whole screen via the "OSD position" options in the main menu.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:16

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:09
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 15:58
I have tried to correct this - I presume you saw I was missing a little of the left hand side in the EPG screenshot.

Have you also adjusted the GUI sizing on the WIZ (MENU>>Setup>>AV setup>>OSD position) or is it at default? What do you have for the Left/Right, Width, Up/Down, and Height settings?

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:23

OK, all fixed up perfectly now! :)

I just had to correctly set the OSD size and position correctly using Beyonwiz settings rather than having the TV adjust the position (which is what I was doing previously).

Thanks again for all your help.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:28

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:23
OK, all fixed up perfectly now! :)

I just had to correctly set the OSD size and position correctly using Beyonwiz settings rather than having the TV adjust the position (which is what I was doing previously).
Cool :), but just so we are clear. Your OSD position settings are set to WxH as 720 and 576, and positions at 0? And your TV aspect ratio is set to not overscan (per-pixel or whatever your TV calls it). That will give you the best and clearest result :).

asteele
Apprentice

Post by asteele » Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:50

Well, they weren't - but they sure are now!

My Sony 65" LCD has a display option for "Full Pixel" mode - and now I have enabled that, I have been able to readjust U4 settings to 720 and 576 as you suggested.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 31, 2019 17:34

asteele wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 16:50
My Sony 65" LCD has a display option for "Full Pixel" mode - and now I have enabled that, I have been able to readjust U4 settings to 720 and 576 as you suggested.

That's the preferred way to set it up :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Topics”