Network Browser options

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Videonut
Master

Network Browser options

Post by Videonut » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:40

Since I had to redo all of my internet settings I decided to visit a few options that I had not visited before to see if I can add more useful features. When I get to Network Browser I can see that there are 3 items listed.

They are Home Network, My B/W T2 and my PC which is in another room. My B/W & PC are connected by a cat cable & I have used this to copy,edit files from B/W to back again once processed.

When I select the 3rd option my PC I press login and I see my email address & a password already listed. Where do I go from here? I don't know if it's accepted my password or is it incorrect or what to arrive at some useful option like being able to a play files from PC on the B/W in living room?
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Network Browser options

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53

Videonut wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:40
When I select the 3rd option my PC I press login and I see my email address & a password already listed. Where do I go from here? I don't know if it's accepted my password or is it incorrect or what to arrive at some useful option like being able to a play files from PC on the B/W in living room?
Your email address and password? Do you log into your PC with an email address for a username? (I'm honestly not sure with this, I refuse to create a cloud login on my own Windows 10 PC, and use local users).

Once you have provided a valid username and password, you should be presented with a list of shared directories on that PC.
If you haven't shared anything, or you have not provided correct login credentials, then no list of shares will be shown.

If shares are listed, then you select one of those, and you get to enter your credentials again.
You will then be presented with a mount configuration screen where you can set various options. Most of the defaults should be fine, although you may want to rename the name of the mountpoint depending on how you want it to be displayed on the Wiz.

You then accept the mount, and allow it to be created (press OK when prompted, not EXIT, otherwise the mount won't be saved properly).

You can then access that mount by opening the "Locations" screen from Media Player (the YELLOW button is the default method for getting to Locations from MEDIA).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Nov 08, 2019 14:42

The fact that a user name & password must have been done by myself on a previously aborted try at getting file sharing working.

It might be best if I try to delete name & password if possible for this to work since I am the only person in the house that could possible want to even try doing this.

If I can't delete what's already there then maybe I'll create a new one.

I have looked at file sharing in Windows 10 & I have files,music & videos already turned on. I have never got involved before with creating a mount point but I guess i'll find out if I get past the login stage.
Beyonwiz V2,TCL TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, Harmony Remote,650.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 08, 2019 15:28

You need a username and password for Windows to be able to share anything. Recent security updates mean that there is no longer a way to share data anonymously without manually turning on a bunch of insecure settings in Windows.

Unfortunately, that security policy results in making it overly difficult to create dummy credentials for IoT devices since Microsoft wants all of their "users" to have actual bellybuttons (and ideally to them, cloud accounts).

The T2 and indeed all Wiz boxes is able to share out its harddrive anonymously, so you don't need to muck about with usernames between Wiz's. (It's reasonably safe to do this since all you are exposing are TV recordings....nothing personal).

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Nov 08, 2019 15:45

So the username and password would appear to be old ones entered for Microsoft.

But when I'm at stage where I can see this the only options are is to either press OK to save or red button to close. Green,yellow or blue have no labels.

How do you get beyond this?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 08, 2019 15:53

As before, when you are first asked to enter a user name and password, you plug them in, and a list of shares should pop up under the PC name. You can then select a share.

If no shares appear, then you may not have set up any shares on the PC.

Try the same thing with the T2. When you click on it, it will ask for a username and password. You don't need to enter one for the T2, so just move on from there and you will see the shares listed (Movie and Logs).

On Windows, you can create a temporary test share on the PC by simply choosing a directory, right click on it in Explorer and select "Share with...", or select Properties and go to the sharing tab to do more or less the same thing.

Once that it done, you should be able to go back to the Wiz, browse the network and expand the list of shares on the Windows PC as described.

Videonut
Master

Post by Videonut » Fri Nov 08, 2019 17:29

Windows strikes again. The sharing tab is turned off. I most definitely had files,music and videos all tagged. When I find out where to turn it on again I'll do so.

Nothing seems to be remembered even logging onto this site because it always asks for ID & Password.

Return to “General Topics”